Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The how to get perfect nails guide
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
sparkle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
well here are my nails currently, and they used to be dry and brittle and prone to splits and rough cuticles and all.

Here's how I did it, these are the essentials:
- Essie crystal Nailfile ($7-10USD, available online/ in nail salons).
Do not be alarmed by the price because this thing lasts forever, is hygeneic, and is 10000% better than those cheap emery boards. Most important of all is it polishes the edge or your nails to prevent future splitting.

- Sally hansen instalnt cuticle remover.Image ($3-5USD/ drugstore)

- Any generic orange wood sticks/ cuticle pushers. ($1-2USD a pack).

- A good cuticle oil or cream or spritz or balm, much depending on which consistency you like better.
My favorites in terms of different consistency:
Oil:
Creative nail design solar oil ($3-10USD depending on size, online or nail salons)

Cream:
Orly cuticle cream ($3-5USD)

Balm:
Burt's bees lemon cuticle butter ($6USD?)

Creative nail design brand also makes their oil in balm or spritz. So the possibility's endless.

Firstly, apply sally hansen cuticle remover on the skin/cuticle around the nail. Wait 15 seconds. Gently push back/scrape the rough cuticles lightly with the orange woood stick.
This is for removing/exfoliating the dead skincells around the nail before moisturisers can penetrate.

Then grab a dampened cotton ball and remove the residue. Then rinse thoroughly and wash your hand with soapy water.

Cuticle removers dont need to used more than once a week or fortnight.

Then, use Essie nail file, file nails to desired length in 1 direction only. Do not use nail clipper since clippers tend to cause invisible tears in your nails, that's why your nails break/split/peel. The nail file is made with glass/crystal, it files very quickly, and seals the nail edges perfectly. You nail edges should feel smooth and will not tug on any clothing material.

Apply your desired cuticle treatment, if it's oil, just brush on the oil around your nails and underneath. Wait 1 minutes, massage in lightly.
Oils tend to have best penetration, though the disadvantage being it can get greasy for daytime.

Orly's cutcile cream is the best consistency, it dries velvt matte and great for using in the office during day time.

Burt's bees cuticle lemon butter smells delicious, comforting, though consistency is a bit harder.

Apply cuticle treatment at least once a day, before you sleep. Preferrably once during noon or the mornings too.

Then try keeping your nails polished as this prevents moisture in the nails that cause brittleness. Always use a base coat to prevent staining. (I like Nailtek foundation II which is a ridge filler too, or Orly Bonder which is a runny liquid that dries fast.)

Everything's available in nail salons or drugstore or online. And it's really easy.
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
sparkle, nice nails. Good job. Smile

Thanks for sharing. I can never do my nails well myself.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
You did a great job on your nails! They look FABOULOUS!! Thank you for sharing your tips. Smile
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the list of products and steps. I am going to try it. Looks like I wasn't using the right tools.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Sparkle. Your nails are PERFECT! Love the length and shape. Pretty OPI color, too. I'm currently using the Burt's Bees cuticle balm to tame my cuticles and I LOVE it (smells good enough to eat!). My cuticles are looking very moisturized and no longer raggedy.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Lovely nails - I'm going to get the Essie file on your recommendation.
Very Happy
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Your nails and cuticles look beautiful! Thanks for sharing your "secrets". Very Happy
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Ohh thank you for the tip on the nail file. definitely going to get one now.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Great guide! I will also vouch for glass nail files (I don't have the Essie, but Sephora makes one that is identical except for the color). I used to dread filing my nails with those sandpaper things since even the finest-grained ones were too rough and ended up shredding the tips of my poor nails. I bought the glass file (based on MUA recommendations) last summer because my nails were getting really weak and splitting and tearing. The file did a wonderful job of smoothing out my battered nails without being rough at all, and leaving a perfectly smooth, snag-free edge. This item is a must-have!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Agree with this method too! Nails need moisture. Sally Hansen's nail stone works similarly. Love nail oils!!
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Nijey wrote:
... I will also vouch for glass nail files (I don't have the Essie, but Sephora makes one that is identical except for the color). ... I bought the glass file (based on MUA recommendations) last summer because my nails were getting really weak and splitting and tearing. The file did a wonderful job of smoothing out my battered nails without being rough at all, and leaving a perfectly smooth, snag-free edge. This item is a must-have!

I agree, Nijey. I just bought the Sephora glass nail file and I LOVE it! It works very well and is very fine, but it files the nails so well and so smoothly. Just love mine.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
How long have your nails looked like this??? Mine are short and stubby....I guess because I chew them like a 8 year old boy...
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I love Creative's Solar Oil too! Actually I don't just use it on my nails and cuticles - I use it on other places with rough skin like elbows/knees too Laughing

Personally I prefer Creative's products, like their cucumber heel therapy, to other brands like Sally Hansen or even OPI. Maybe Creative just works better for me Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Sparkle, your nails are fabulous and thanks for posting your method. Does anyone know where you can get the Essie nail file in Toronto. Thanks
sparkle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
hi you can order most nail related stuffs fromwww.8ty8beauty.com orwww.transdesign.com which both ships internationally at decent shipping rates. (These two are the cheapest i've found and what people use on MUA.)

(email them first, let them know which items you are after and they can confirm the rate). The checkout might not work out the correct rate.

My nails been looking decent for 1 yr now, after a while it's pretty low maintenance and i only need to file my nails when they are too long. It takes about 3 weeks to start noticing a change because you need to wait for the peeling/flaky bits to grow out, and especially waiting for the previously invisible tears in the tips of the nail to get removed by glass files gradually first.
dokusan
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Thanks sparkle! Very Happy
bears
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks sparkle, I am going to order the nail file.
Racecargirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I love all of you recommendations. I am going out to get them today. My nails grow very fast but always look awful because of the cuticles. Now I'm going to try the Sally Hansen cuticle remover. Thanks for all of the tips! Very Happy

Early 50s, blonde hair (natural) with red streaks (mid-life crisis), blue eyes, fair skin, small pores, very dry skin, some pigmentation (thanks to growing up in Miami), starting to see fine lines. Love my NuFace and Quasar SP and the CPs and Retin A are working as well.
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
wow, looks great. i will definitely try out your regimen.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you.
My cuticles are gorgeous.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
My only worry - are the glass nail files easy to break?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
they do shatter if you drop them on the ground, so i've been careful about it. But other than that, simply dropping it on carpeted floor or dressing table seems fine.

I dont mind if I shatter 1 per year since it's really good value over the long run.

Plus it's cleanable (just rinse under tap or soapy water).
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I swear I'm going to stop biting my nails...I needed this to encourage me . Thanks very much
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Although I don't have a photo, my nails are in incredibly good shape too. All of my adult years it seems I have had thin, peeling, cracking nails. My cuticles always stayed in bad shape too (stayed sore with hangnails)no matter how much hand cream I used. I mentioned my cuticles to my derm and she said I needed some extra Vit C. At that time I don't remember asking her why she thought Vit C would help; I just went out and bought some and started taking 1000 mg a day.

After a couple of weeks I could tell the Vit C was working. That was right before the winter season and I haven't had a hangnail since! But my nails were still brittle and thin, so I bought a Dr Hauschka Neem Nail Oil pen and that brought my nails back to great condition. My nails started growing and now they are thick, strong and without ridges. I could see a real difference in a matter of a couple of days. I keep one pen at my bedside to apply before I sleep and one at work which I apply once during the day.

So Vitamin C and Dr Hauschka combination have really worked for me. Does anyone have any idea why Vit C would help hangnails?

Now I gotta find one of those glass files! I'm not so experienced with filing since I never had anything to work with before.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Wow! Your nails look fabulous! Making a list of the recommended products right now...

Mary Very Happy

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |