Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin care line for teen aged oily skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jfournier
5% products discount

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking for an affordable line for my 19yr old daughter. She has oily skin in her T-zone. The acne lines dry her skin out. She's tried Biore, Juice Beauty, and Proactive with limited results. Any suggestions?
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Skin Actives Acne Control Cream with T-Zone Serum is only $25.00 (plus postage of $5 if you live in the US). The kit has been devised by a PhD Bio-Chemist, and the proportions are quite generous.

http://www.skinactives.com/products/acnecontrol.htm

The cream is non-comedogenic; I have had oily skin myself last year, and it just sinks straight in without exacerbating the issue of sebum over-production. No benzoyl peroxide here and no alcohol, so it won't dry out her skin either - it merely "regulates" sebum production.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:06 am      Reply with quote
I've heard from a friend that there's this two brands, Seba-Med & Cetaphil (both drugstore brands I think), that's targeted at young, prone to breakout skin. Both are supposedly formulated for sensitive skin for they shouldn't have any adverse reactions? Though I'll recommend having a look at the ingredients in them just in case!

When I was 19 I was using Shiseido Pureness range and it worked for me for about a year or so. If you'll like to try, go for the normal skin cleansing liquid (can't remember the name sorry) rather than the deep cleansing foam as I think it would be too drying.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
i hurd proactive is amazing for teens....i saw the results on my friends and it was amazing!
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
jfournier wrote:
I'm looking for an affordable line for my 19yr old daughter. She has oily skin in her T-zone. The acne lines dry her skin out. She's tried Biore, Juice Beauty, and Proactive with limited results. Any suggestions?

Doesn't Pro-Active contain Benzoyl Peroxide? The stuff that contains oxygen molecules which zaps the acne bugs, AND THEN, proceeds to oxidize on the face, generating free radicals that age and dry out the skin?
jfournier
5% products discount

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to look into them. Not sure what Pro-Active has in it as her supply is at college with her. It was very drying though on her skin
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting about skinactives, nyonyakay. I am bookmarking that site as a possibility for my son.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Proactiv dried my skin out like crazy.. I would never use it again. Why don't you try Naturderm Skin Care? I heard they are amazing. I'm using their Epidermxll scrub and am loving it. You should check out the review manslayerliz made.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18721&highlight=epidermx

Smile
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:45 am      Reply with quote
I agree with nyonyakay, i have read thaat benzoyl peroxide ages skin. not worth it to get rid of acne.

Jan Marini has the teen clean acne kit. Her products are high quality. good luck, i remember being a teen with troubled skin, it wasn't fun at all. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Try the homemade version of the Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream, recipe is in the DIY thread.
Follow this with plain Witch Hazel as a toner and a few drops of Jojoba Oil with a little bit of Tea Tree Essential Oil mixed in.
The more simple the routine, the quicker the skin should heal.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking of getting Proactiv today. I didn't know that benzoyl peroxide aged the skin. Sad If I used Vit C serum with it, would that cancel out the oxidation?
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you could have a look at Paula Choice. She got good stuff, good price.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
noleRN wrote:
I'm thinking of getting Proactiv today. I didn't know that benzoyl peroxide aged the skin. Sad If I used Vit C serum with it, would that cancel out the oxidation?

i would highly recommend that you don't do that. i would definitely stay away from products with benzoyl peroxide like proactive. you have so many other great alternatives i think such as salicylic acid or mandelic acid.

also the JM teen clean set i mentioned above has benzoyl peroxide, so I am gonna take back that recommendation. I actually use the bioglycolic lotion which i have heard clears skin (i don't have acne skin so i have no personal experience to post on this), but their bioclear lotion has gotten awesome reviews, you might want to check into that.

Here is a quote and link to an informative article about acne, benzoyl peroxide and other alternatives:

Quote:
Benzoyl peroxide

Benzoyl peroxide is a strong oxidizer that kills bacteria by generating oxygen free radicals. Topical benzoyl peroxide is one of the most effective topical acne treatments. It is highly effective in killing against P. acnes (acne-causing bacteria). Furthermore, benzoyl peroxide has an advantage over antibiotics because bacteria do not develop resistance to it.

Unfortunately, oxygen free radicals generated by benzoyl peroxide are damaging not only to bacteria but to your skin as well. They cause irritation and dryness, damage skin cells and skin matrix, and otherwise accelerate the rate of skin aging. An occasional, short-term use of benozyl peroxide produces relatively small long-term skin damage. On the other hand, long-term use of benozyl peroxide, especially at high concentrations, is likely to age your skin prematurely. It is worth trying safer alternatives first. Unfortunately, for many people, benzoyl peroxide is only effective topical treatment. In that case, it is prudent to find the lowest possible effective concentration. Concentrations of benzoyl peroxide as low as 2.5% may be effective, especially if combined with other treatments.

http://www.smartskincare.com/conditions/acne/acne-and-skin-aging.html

HTH, Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I posted about my teen sons results with Ice Elements back in August, here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15222&highlight=teen+acne+update

Ice Elements now has an acne kit on sale on their site that consists of the Radiance Cleanser, acne serum and 2 minute miracle exfoliation gel. If this intrigues you at all, you could speak with Brenda or Shelly on the message board and see what they would suggest for your daughters skin.

One of the things that I really like about the Ice Elements products is that they do not contain any water, so a little goes a long way which, for me, translates into savings.

Whatever you choose, I do hope that you find something soon as skin issues can be so difficult for teens to deal with.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I tried protective before, thats was an amazing.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) pH Advantage High Potency Effective Vitamin C Serum (51 ml / 1.75 floz) Benir Beauty BV-9 Platinum Provectus Super Serum with Bee Venom (50 g / 1.7 floz)