Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

retinoids - redness/flushing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I introduced Avene's Ystheal to my routine about a month ago. I introduced it slowly building up usage until I was using it every 2 or 3 days. I loved the results.
(I am not using any acids or mechanical exfoliation when using Ystheal by the way). My skin is usually pretty tolerant of mild acids/exfolaition - the only thing that I couldn't use was Clinique Turnaround cream that I used years ago and which made my cheeks red and hot).

Anyway one morning after using Ystheal I woke up with a red patch on each cheek one side being worse than the other - but I had a head cold/ear infection at the time so put it down to that as I had a bit of a temp and the worse side was on the ear ache side.

Anyway, I left off the Ystheal then tried to re-introduce it again but I can't even if I leave it over a week - I wake up with red cheeks and the one side is always way worse than the other (wonder if I lie on that side more when asleep?)they arent sore or flaky just bright red. The patches are about and inch across and it fades through the day but I look like I've painted on 'dolly cheeks!'LOL! Confused Otherwise my skin looks fab!

I tried using the Ystheal just on my T Zone and around my eyes and applying shea butter on my cheeks as a barrier so the Ystheal couldn't migrate and that seems to work, and no irritaion anywhere else but I wonder if with continues use it will start to irritate. Have stopped using it now and am just giving my skin a break from any actives (other than my GOW C + Freulic which is really soothing).

Was wondering if anyone else had experienced flushing/redness with retinoids?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Have never used and don't intend to because of this very reason. I guess you could always minimize use of it such as use it once every couple of days. Since you have sensitive skin, maybe its time to re-evaluate your skin care.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
SusieQ - thats the thing my skin isn't sensitive usually that's why its so weird (in the past I've used Mandelic acid/Lactic and not had so much as pinkness or anything! So just a bit surprised that the Ystheal had this reaction.
Very odd.

Going to shelve it a while me thinks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I believe that Retin-A is the reason I don't have many wrinkles. I've been using it since my late 20s and except for a couple of years when I went back to school and couldn't afford to buy it, I've used it for apprx 18 years. I use it 2 nights a week now. When I first started using it, no one told me how to use it and I used it every night. I tolerated the burn and it wasn't until the skin on my face looked like someone had dragged me face down behind a truck, that I stopped using it. Lots of peeling and tenderness during that time. Now, when my skin becomes very dry (I know I'm going to get flaky) I taper off. I intentionally try to get to that point (flaky skin) every couple of months to aid in peeling. It is normal to get red. If those areas on your cheeks are tender and peel, then don't use it on those areas but continue to put the cream everywhere but your cheeks. Do continue to use the cream until you become pink and a little sensitive. This is not a bad thing just don't let your skin become too sensitive. I believe that most people can use retinoids and those that say they are sensitive to it may simply believe that they can't use it because the skin is slightly uncomfortable during the turnover that I've mentioned. Now I know that some people truly are sensitive, so don't be offended anybody from what I've typed. Just know that retins are going to cause some less than comfortable periods but the results are great. I wish it took care of saggy jowls too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I believe that Retin-A is the reason I don't have many wrinkles. I've been using it since my late 20s and except for a couple of years when I went back to school and couldn't afford to buy it, I've used it for apprx 18 years. I use it 2 nights a week now. When I first started using it, no one told me how to use it and I used it every night. I tolerated the burn and it wasn't until the skin on my face looked like someone had dragged me face down behind a truck, that I stopped using it. Lots of peeling and tenderness during that time. Now, when my skin becomes very dry (I know I'm going to get flaky) I taper off. I intentionally try to get to that point (flaky skin) every couple of months to aid in peeling. It is normal to get red. If those areas on your cheeks are tender and peel, then don't use it on those areas but continue to put the cream everywhere but your cheeks. Do continue to use the cream until you become pink and a little sensitive. This is not a bad thing just don't let your skin become too sensitive. I believe that most people can use retinoids and those that say they are sensitive to it may simply believe that they can't use it because the skin is slightly uncomfortable during the turnover that I've mentioned. Now I know that some people truly are sensitive, so don't be offended anybody from what I've typed. Just know that retins are going to cause some less than comfortable periods but the results are great. I wish it took care of saggy jowls too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Patty, Thanks that's really interesting!

I got the flakies from Mandelic (interestingly only on areas I'd previously had blemishes and still had faint marks left). When using the ystheal my skin doesn't get sore or tender there's just these red splotches! Which do fade. I've had some mild flakyness on my chin and nose but nothing that a face cloth doesn't take care of.

Hmm will perhaps back off a while and let my skin settle then reintroduce again later perhaps adding an oil or moisturiser before I apply on my cheeks as a barrier and to slow absorbtion.

I do like the way my skin is looking so it would be nice to find a way to still use it and get the balance right between my oilier TZone which is more resilient and the dryer cheek area.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thats a good idea Lucia, by shelving for a while. You can get sensitive skin AT ANY TIME in your life time even though you normally aren't the sensitive skin type. Skin type is not static. You have to treat it differently for what ever is going on with it on particular day. Something to think about for sure. Smile
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Is it possible that it's photosensitivity that's causing the redness? When you said one side is worse than the other, I wondered if maybe your "driver's side" was the redder one--that would tend to implicate sun as the culprit. Perhaps changing to one of the heavy duty Euro sunscreens with UVA and UVB would help?
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Susie you're absolutely right and I do treat my skin on a day to day basis - its frustrating that your skin can change its mind from one day to the next isn't it!. Smile
flitcraft - Hmm well it is my 'drivers side' but I don't think it is photosensitivity as it happens overnight and I routinely use a Euro SPF50 (Mexoryl or Tinosorb) during the day as I am very photo sensitive anyway. (I was planning on stopping the Ystheal before the sunnier weather for this reason). Might have to have a think about that though......

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps it's not the retinoid ingredient itself, but perhaps one of the other ingredients in the Ystheal.

I had redness and sensitivity issues with Green Cream. Even at the lowest strength, the product has alcohol in its base, and I think that's what did me in.

I switched to Avene's Retrinal -- again, lowest strength (0.025%) and I have had none of the redness or overdrying issues with my skin.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I use Avene Eluage cream and used it every night pretty much for about 6 months. My face would go red easily,even warm water would turn my face red Confused So got totally fed up with it in the end and have backed of to 3 days a week and my skin is heaps better. Its not flushing so easily and even after a shower it dosent look so red (unheard of before) So i guess everynight was just too much. I also stopped using chemical sunscreens as they were irritating as well. Ive definately noticed in my chest area a difference. I was using heavy duty euro's and my chest was so red but now it has calmed down.

I can now also use a vitamin c serum again Very Happy When I was using retinol so much i just couldnt use it anymore. My face would turn red as soon as i applied it.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |