Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is it too much to ask for a hair dryer that...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:23 am      Reply with quote
...is lightweight
...is quiet (has a low decibel level)
...is ionic
...accommodates a diffuser attachment
...has low, med, high temp options
...has a cold shot

Is it?

(any recommendations??? Wink)

The other day I saw a hair dryer that automatically shut off when it was set down (i.e., when the hand was removed from the handle). Pretty cool, eh?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:36 am      Reply with quote
The only one that I know of that meets all of those requirements is the T3, provided you use the T3 diffuser (my hairdresser tried using a non-T3 diffuser with me when hers cracked and it kept falling off and clunking me in the head, until she got another T3 one).

I don't think the Featherweight model has the 3 temp settings, but maybe the Evolution does?

The deal-breaker for me is the high price for what would only be occasional use, and that you have to hold the cold shot button down while using it. I like to use cold for a longer time, so I don't want to have to hold the button for a few minutes.

I've checked out other ionic dryers and they are all much heavier than the T3's. I will be curious to see what other recs you get on this.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I just googled the T3 dryers after reading this - they really do look fab! Not inexpensive though - do they last a long time?
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I'd been on the lookout for a dryer after my current dryer had died on me. First, I thought I'd go the cheap route and buy a hair dryer from the drugstore. BIG MISTAKE!! It was so loud that I couldn't stand it!! So, I went to a local salon and found an ionic one (I was also interested in the T3, but it was just so expensive) from BaByliss. I LOVE it! It's very quiet, sturdy yet not heavy and has all the options you're looking for. However, it doesn't come with a diffuser, only one of the attachments to direct the air.

I think I found that same one online.

http://www.amazon.com/Babyliss-Tourmaline-Hair-Dryer-BABTM5585/dp/B000I2QE1O/sr=8-33/qid=1167849153/ref=sr_1_33/105-7250226-3269232?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

Mine was a little over $100 CAD and that was last summer when I bought it I think. It looks like they have come down in price now. Anyway, I have been totally happy with this model.

HTH!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr, that babyliss one looks perfect! However, I have a question for ladies who have used ionic dryers. See, my hair is long and fine, so when I blow dry I use mousse at the roots to try to get as much volume injected as possible--- do you notice that you get less volume with an ionic dryer, or is it the same? TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:53 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Moonstarr, that babyliss one looks perfect! However, I have a question for ladies who have used ionic dryers. See, my hair is long and fine, so when I blow dry I use mousse at the roots to try to get as much volume injected as possible--- do you notice that you get less volume with an ionic dryer, or is it the same? TIA!

I think I get about the same, BUT I've never been an expert at blowdrying my hair nicely. Sad No matter what, I can never achieve the results like they do in the salon (maybe if I could unscrew my head and do it like that! Laughing). But on my "good" days, I am able to get the volume and it looks pretty good! So I think they are just as good in that area.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
If price were not an issue - T3.
I have an older model and like it a lot. It is over a year, and used daily.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thats great ! I was just looking to buy a new hair dryer ! Did anyone tried Rusk ???

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought this CHI Dryer and Flat Iron set in Pink! It's on sale now: http://www.folica.com/CHI_All_About_T_d2310.html
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I had not heard of T3 so had a quick look on the web. I also had not heard of ionic dryers. Can someone tell me why ionic is so good and how can it make your hair softer and healthier?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
I had not heard of T3 so had a quick look on the web. I also had not heard of ionic dryers. Can someone tell me why ionic is so good and how can it make your hair softer and healthier?

I'm not an expert, but I believe it's supposed to dry your hair faster, which means less time being damaged by the heat (less split ends, dried hair, frizzies, etc.).

I always do my makeup first before I blowdry, so by the time I do, my hair is half dry already (it doesn't take that long to dry on it's own) so I can't comment on the quickness part of it. I bought one because I'd heard it was supposed to be healthier for you hair, but I haven't really noticed any difference on me between this one (my favourite thing about this new one is that it's so much quieter than my old one and feels good in my hand ... very well made) and my old regular dryer. I think if I actually took time to style my hair more with the blowdryer I might see more of a difference.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
Also, there's something about the ions that are supposed to condition and bring shine to the hair. And in terms of reducing drying time, there might also be something to the theory that the ions do something to the water molecule to speed up evaporation.

I can personally attest to the fact that an ionic dryed DOES reduce drying time. I also notice that it really DOES combat frizz and smooths my hair.

It's also important to use a medium heat rather than the highest setting to reduce drying time because when you use the higher setting you in a way "shock" the cuticle which then "seals" water into the core of the hair thus increasing drying time. Higher heat also increases the damage that occurs when blow drying. I have found this to be true as well. That's why I like a dryer with 3 temp settings.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
anyone tried those infra red ones? They are really expensive but supposed to be very good for your hair

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have a Helen of Troy dryer with a diffuser connection. It is ionic as well. My hair has never looked better. I also have a Hot Tools one and that is ionic as well.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27 am      Reply with quote
Since this topic is about hair and such I was wondering if anyone can clue me into some things. Now, not to go off subject, but I have a question or two for all you ladies that use those heated type rollers. Well actually, what are they? Embarassed I mean, I know what they are, but how long do they take to heat up, to put in, to curl hair, etc. I always used to use a curling iron daily to curl my hair. For the last few years though, I've just been doing so for special occasions and such. I've heard from 1 or 2 people that heated hair rollers are the new 'in' thing and are the way to go. Now, I miss the volume and shape I got from curling my hair, but with all of it, it took me 45-1hr to do the full head Shock . So, does anyone have any experience with heated hair rollers? Any thoughts/ recommendations? Sorry to go a bit off subject, but I didn't feel like this deserves its own separate topic to start a new thread with.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:03 am      Reply with quote
Girldelvov-
I don't use them that often but when I do I use my mom's old heated rollers. I think they are something like 30 years old! Shock But they work nonetheless! I first pour about 3 Tbs of water into the base then I close the lid and turn it on. They take about 20 minutes to heat up (I am sure newer systems are much faster!) Once heated I roll my hair around them and secure them with wire "pins" (kind of U shaped little things). I leave them in my hair for about 15-20 minutes... once they are cool to touch. After I take them out I allow my hair to cool to set the curl. Then finger or brush comb depending upon how much curl I want. The whole process takes about 15-20 minutes (I think... it's actually been awhile since I've used them).

I've thought about purchasing a new set simply b/c they might work better and more efficiently but I just don't hot roller my hair often enough to justify a purchase. And as long as my mom's ole set still works, then I'll use it. Wink I love the way hot rollers curl my hair... I wish I could get a perm to look the same (the last time I had my hair permed I was in the 6th grade... I looked like a poodle and I cried and cried for days following... never again! Actually, I bet the hair dresser misgaged the condition of my hair was since I was a year round swimmer...I bet it was the chlorine damage. All in all, a bad idea for me!)

girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:16 am      Reply with quote
lol amnis, I'm sorry to hear about your incident with perming 'back in the day'. Really though, I think today they do perms around such odd items (coke cans) that I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to find a stylist who would be able to perm your hair the way you like it. Just don't take my advice as I've never actually permed my hair, lol.

Thanks for the advice on the rollers. I never knew they were water 'heated'. I just thought you plug 'em in and wait for them to heat up *magically*. You learn something new every day! lol. Do you know if putting mousse or spray to 'set' the curl while my hair would be on the rollers would create any issues? I remember that when I used a curling iron, my hair would stay perfect without any product. But when I put old fashioned rollers in my hair and sleep with them, they don't end up staying and holding the curl unless I put on product the night before. Ahh the things we do for beauty Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:33 am      Reply with quote
I have never seen a set of heated rollers that used water??? I have used heated rollers in the past and they have all had a red dot on the ends which turns black when they are sufficiently heated to use. Then you just leave them in your hair until the heat has gone.
I got rid of mine, tried a styling wand then ended up having perms which was just so much easier. I find the perms these days can be very conditioning on your hair so long as you have the right one. I have always stayed with salons that use Redken perming solutions. Your hair comes out feeling in better condition than when you went in.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:18 am      Reply with quote
I've owned my T3 for a year now and it does cut drying time with less frizzy ends. I blow dry my hair almost every day. My hair is shiny at the end. It is also very quiet compared to the other hair dryers I've used. It's also got a 4 year warranty which is good.

My previous dryer was a Babyliss ionic hair dryer which also gave me nice shiny hair. It was much noisier than my T3.

The T3 travel blowdryer was way too expensive so I opted for a Sharper Image ionic travel dryer for when I travel. It is strong and works much better than any blowdryer in a hotel.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:30 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
anyone tried those infra red ones? They are really expensive but supposed to be very good for your hair

I bought an infra-red radiant heat Babyliss Colour and Curl hairdryer a while ago, guapagirl. It has a large, round outlet, rather than a nozzle and is fantastic for speeding up the drying time on my curly hair. On the lowest speed setting, there's hardly any airflow at all, just the radiant heat - this means that my hair isn't blown around, so it doesn't go all frizzy. I love it!

Only problems are:

It's reasonably bulky and heavy to cart around.
Can't take it abroad with me as the transformer needed to cope with the power of this thing would be both hugely expensive and probably enormous.
Used every day, it'd probably dry out and maybe damage hair, a bit like heat damage from straighteners.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/BaByliss_ColourandCurl_Hairdryer.html

If anyone knows of a smaller, more portable version, then please tell me!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
majorb, this is the one I saw, but at 70 odd quid way to pricey!

http://www.hairdivision.co.uk/acatalog/HDDIRECT_Hairdryers_33.html

it's about halfway down

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
I have used heated rollers in the past and they have all had a red dot on the ends which turns black when they are sufficiently heated to use.

Those are the ones I have heard of. I'm one of those people who was born with straight hair that wanted curly for a while (always want what you cant have, huh Rolling Eyes ). How fast did your curlers heat up when you had them, bushy? And how fast did they cool down? Thanks for any info btw.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
I have never seen a set of heated rollers that used water??? I have used heated rollers in the past and they have all had a red dot on the ends which turns black when they are sufficiently heated to use. Then you just leave them in your hair until the heat has gone.
I got rid of mine, tried a styling wand then ended up having perms which was just so much easier. I find the perms these days can be very conditioning on your hair so long as you have the right one. I have always stayed with salons that use Redken perming solutions. Your hair comes out feeling in better condition than when you went in.

Heating rollers that use water is different... guess it's a sign of the age of the roller set! Laughing

Hmm... Redken perms, eh? Now to find a stylist I can trust... Actually, I would rather spend money and get highlights (I really am nearing the point where the length of roots showing is almost embarrassing). At this point in my life I just don't know if I can afford both a perm and hi-lights. sigh. It probably wouldn't be good for my hair anyway!

Ever heard of the ISO semi-permanent perm? It supposed to wash out after like 20 shampoos and is supposedly suitable for highlighted hair.

majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
majorb, this is the one I saw, but at 70 odd quid way to pricey!

http://www.hairdivision.co.uk/acatalog/HDDIRECT_Hairdryers_33.html

it's about halfway down

Bl**dy h*ll! That is pricey!

Still, it says it helps with muscular pain and stuff. Just the kind of thing you'd expect from a hairdryer, eh? Shock Laughing

The worst thing is that I'm seriously thinking of checking it out in case it might be more portable than the one I've got and work for my frizzy hair. Heck, if you had my bird's nest bonce, you'd be prepared to pay that too! Wink
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, just found it here for a heck of a lot less money. Does 50 quid sound any better to you? http://www.lookfantastic.com/static/_icon_infrared_ionic_hair_dryer.htm?static=lookfantastic+EN/Product/View/5686

You need to sign up as a member to get the discounted price, but that's dead easy. It's a pretty good site, with fast delivery, I've found.

Plus, if you spend over £30 before 15th January and add the discount code "2007", there's an extra £2.50 off.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |