Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil and Skin (hydrating or dehydrating)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pipilover
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there guys. I was kinda wondering something about oils. Is it so that some skin types just cannot handle any kind of oil (jojoba, emu, rosehip etc.)W/ this ? I mean, can oil be more dehydrating to someones skin instead of hydrating even do the oil is mentioned as hydrating?

Tnx in advance guys, greetz Wink
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, good question. I am not sure either. But I think water and oil are two different things skin need, and should be balanced. For dehydrated skin, I think it should get plenty of water first, from hydrating toners, moisturizing masks, moisturizers etc. Then some amount of oil(depends on skin type) will protect the skin from losing too much water too fast.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. Smile
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've been wondering the same. I notice when I put my camellia oil/HA mixture (I always spritz with water first) that my face feels slightly tight after a few minutes. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
while I can use moisturizers and cleansers and whatnot with oil, I always find my skin freaks out when I use any oil neat. I'm not sure why, since I use lotions or creams containing the same oils.

Also sometimes if my skin is really dry, anything too oily just sits on the surface and make my skin softer, but I don't feel like it's doing anything to hydrate it. At that point I do go for more water-based moisturizers and try and fix it from the inside with more water and supplements.

5% products discount

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:37 am      Reply with quote
pipilover wrote:
Hi there guys. I was kinda wondering something about oils. Is it so that some skin types just cannot handle any kind of oil (jojoba, emu, rosehip etc.)W/ this ? I mean, can oil be more dehydrating to someones skin instead of hydrating even do the oil is mentioned as hydrating?

I think part of what happens is the oils dissolve your skins natural oils, removing them from your skin, making it feel dehydrated. That seems to be what happens to my oily T zone. Emu oil overnight is the only one that actually seems to balance out my skin, making it feel and look better by morning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
You have to differentiate between oils, which are emollients, and humectants and moisturizers I think. Oils serve as emollients (lol - I already said that didn't I), humectants capture moisture by binding with water, and moisturizers add water.

I think one of the worst conditions for skin is for it to be oily and dehydrated! Very often, people with oily skin don't realize that they DO need to be concerned about whether or not their skin is getting adequate moisture.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:

I think one of the worst conditions for skin is for it to be oily and dehydrated! Very often, people with oily skin don't realize that they DO need to be concerned about whether or not their skin is getting adequate moisture.

I get this on my forehead. Oily and terribly wrinkly looking at the same time. It kills me.
KathyJ
5% products discount

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
You have to differentiate between oils, which are emollients, and humectants and moisturizers I think. Oils serve as emollients (lol - I already said that didn't I), humectants capture moisture by binding with water, and moisturizers add water.

katee:
Do you think that emu oil could be both emollient AND a humectant? It seems to make my skin feel so much better!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
I think emu and jojoba are the closest to human oil so maybe they are absorbed better into the skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 am      Reply with quote
KathyJ wrote:
pipilover wrote:

I think part of what happens is the oils dissolve your skins natural oils, removing them from your skin, making it feel dehydrated. That seems to be what happens to my oily T zone. Emu oil overnight is the only one that actually seems to balance out my skin, making it feel and look better by morning.

Aha, I don"t mind if this would happen for the t zone on my face, esp. my nose is very oily, so I think I am gonna try putting oil on my nose and see what happens. If my nose will get less oily, then I will know that oils are dehydrating for my face. Thx for your answer Very Happy
pipilover
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you guys for the answers Very Happy , it is very helpfull. I think that I have to look for a cream that is loaded w/ water. But I rather want something that is a gel consistety (sp). Does anyone know a hydrating gel that is "natural"? What about aloe vera is this hydrating enough by itself?

Thanks in advance Wink
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:09 am      Reply with quote
pipilover wrote:
Thank you guys for the answers Very Happy , it is very helpfull. I think that I have to look for a cream that is loaded w/ water. But I rather want something that is a gel consistety (sp). Does anyone know a hydrating gel that is "natural"? What about aloe vera is this hydrating enough by itself?

Thanks in advance Wink

You can use organic aloe vera gel. I don't find that aloe vera gel itself, is that moisturizing. I use camellia and sesame oils as moisturizers. Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Re: hydrating gels

I can vouch for this product:

Quote:
HYDRATING GEL

Discover the nurturing benefits of our Hydrating Gel. Utilising the exceptional properties of Harakeke (New Zealand flax) gel, whose role within the plant is to protect new growth from environmental stress and dehydration – this light gel helps to refine pores and balance the skin’s pH level. This nourishing gel will re-hydrate and restore vitality to normal and oily skin.

To use: Gently smooth a small amount onto face and neck after cleansing. Wait 30 seconds then apply your Living Nature moisturiser or night cream. Hero ingredients: Manuka Honey for its antiseptic and humectant qualities and Harakeke for its soothing and hydrating qualities. Ingredients INCI: Aqua (water), Sclerotium gum, Vegetable glycerine, Phormium tenax (fl ax extract), Citrus grandis (grapefruit seed extract), Leptospermum scoparium mel (manuka honey), Xanthan gum, Citrus limomum (lemon oil), Rosmarinus offi cinalis (rosemary oil), Elettaria cardamomum (cardamom oil), Carnarium commune (elemi oil), Tocopherol (vitamin E), Leptospermum scoparium (manuka oil), Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil), Citral*, Limonene*, Linalool* . *component of natural essential oils .

--avalange

p.s. aole vera tends to be too drying for me, but flax gel is just right, so if you do not want to buy the above product, you can make a DIY one.

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:56 am      Reply with quote
oops! www.livingnature.com

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Re: hydrating gels

I can vouch for this product:

Quote:
HYDRATING GEL

Discover the nurturing benefits of our Hydrating Gel. Utilising the exceptional properties of Harakeke (New Zealand flax) gel, whose role within the plant is to protect new growth from environmental stress and dehydration – this light gel helps to refine pores and balance the skin’s pH level. This nourishing gel will re-hydrate and restore vitality to normal and oily skin.

To use: Gently smooth a small amount onto face and neck after cleansing. Wait 30 seconds then apply your Living Nature moisturiser or night cream. Hero ingredients: Manuka Honey for its antiseptic and humectant qualities and Harakeke for its soothing and hydrating qualities. Ingredients INCI: Aqua (water), Sclerotium gum, Vegetable glycerine, Phormium tenax (fl ax extract), Citrus grandis (grapefruit seed extract), Leptospermum scoparium mel (manuka honey), Xanthan gum, Citrus limomum (lemon oil), Rosmarinus offi cinalis (rosemary oil), Elettaria cardamomum (cardamom oil), Carnarium commune (elemi oil), Tocopherol (vitamin E), Leptospermum scoparium (manuka oil), Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil), Citral*, Limonene*, Linalool* . *component of natural essential oils .

--avalange

p.s. aole vera tends to be too drying for me, but flax gel is just right, so if you do not want to buy the above product, you can make a DIY one.

That looks like a lovely product, avalange.

Have you ever made a DIY version? I have aloe gel, flax oil, manuka honey and EO's in my cupboard...
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:48 am      Reply with quote
The Living Nature Hydrating Gel Mask is also superb. Lovely texture and very hydrating, but with no greasiness whatsoever.
pipilover
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:13 am      Reply with quote
Great tips, thx alot for it. Will try the rec.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Glycerin. You can find it in the drugstore.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |