Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Review: MAC Raquel Welch LE Synthetic Angled Blush Brush
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Before I get into my actual review, will you indulge me while I briefly rant? What is WITH MAC and LE cosmetics? It seems like half of the stuff on MAC's website is LE and sold out. It makes for a very frustrating shopping experience. It never bothered me before since I've never gotten into MAC's stuff, but during a recent visit to the Mall of America I got pulled in by the siren song. A beauty adviser whipped out a brush from her belt and put a little Barbie Loves MAC Beautyburst on my outer creases and it was love--- I looked like a total glamazon. Good thing I bought it because it's sold out online now--- thanks for nothing, MAC.

Now, without further ado, onto my review. I had been eyeing this brush, but since it's LE I went ahead and caved and bought it since I wanted the chance to try it before it was sold out. I've been looking for a good angled blush brush for a while now. I ordered one a while back from some MMU company (it might have been Aromaleigh??) and it was terrible--- scratchy, made my blush look blotchy, ugh, I couldn't swap it away quickly enough. Right now for blush brushes I'm using ones from Alima and Urban Decay--- they're both synthetic, and they are both so lovely and soft and perfect that I thought if I could just get a brush that was similar but angled my collection would be complete. That's why this Raquel Welch brush caught my eye: it's the exact shape I was looking for, and it's synthetic so I expected it to be as silky-soft as my other synthetics.

I'll be completely honest here: I was a little disappointed when I actually received this brush. For one thing, it's definitely softer than your average brush, but it's NOWHERE near as soft as my Urban Decay and Alima brushes. Considering it's the most expensive blush brush I've ever bought before ($32 before tax and shipping), it should be a lot more luxurious than it is. Also, the brushes aren't as dense as those on my Alima and Urban Decay brushes, so it doesn't pick up pigment as well. Still, it doesn't irritate my skin and the shape is just what I needed for when I want a more contoured blush application. Even though I'm a little let down, I still plan to keep and use this brush.

This brush is Limited Edition so I think once it's sold out it will be no longer available. You can buy it for $32 at maccosmetics.com or in MAC stores. Even though I was slightly disappointed I would still recommend it to someone looking for a nice soft angled cheek brush, since it's the best I've found so far.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I saw this brush...not sold out yet here. It isn't very dense , and it's expensive for what you get. But it's nice and can give you precise blush placement which is harder with the denser, fluffier brushes. The MA told me Raquel designed it herself...big whooop..I guess that explains the tiger theme. The best angle blush brush, in my opinion for softness, denseness, yada yada, is Scott Barnes. It's so dense you can actually buff your blush in. I have it even though I usually have a hard time with angled brushes. That being said, MAC's kabuki (182?) is as soft and lush as a baby kitten. Guess what??? It's not LE> This is the first thing I ask at MAC-I refuse to buy LE. It makes me nuts.I just tell them if it's that good, make it permanent.

Thanks for the review. By the way, if a brush does well, MAC brings it back & makes it perm. That's what happened with the kabuki. It's around $50 cdn Embarassed . I already have the BB one so even I couldn't rationalize buying it.But again, soft as a baby's butt Cool
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, I have only ever purchased MAC eye saddow brushes, I have just never been impressed enough to purchase any of the face brushes. I completely agree about the prices I think that MAC charges rediculous amounts for their face and cheek brushes.
The quality is just not up to the price.

I also get annoyed about the Limited Editions and just don't buy it, I can see why MAC does it....brilliant strategy.....people panic and purchase as they think they will never be able to get hold of it again.

You only have to look at all the hype over the Mineralize Skinfinnishes which I really do not see what all the fuss is about.
Oh yes and the MAC Barbie collection which is so tacky, I have even seen one of the Barbie dolls sell on ebay for over $100!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I had to add this in..what really bugs me about MAC. I don't know if they do this anymore since I don't purchase much but ehy used to make great brush set for xmas-great gifts. The problem was, they weren't MAC brushes but made for MAC. It was obvious, even though the MA argued with me. They were thin & wispy. Mad
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review manslayerliz,
I have never bought MAC's face brush before because I think they are over-priced. However, I do have their angled eyeliner brush that I use to draw my brows. I think it should be the best for me to stick with Alima brushes since I love their #25.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Thanks for the review manslayerliz,

I have never bought MAC's face brush before because I think they are over-priced. However, I do have their angled eyeliner brush that I use to draw my brows. I think it should be the best for me to stick with Alima brushes since I love their #25.

I feel the same way Wild Cat. I'd totally like to stick to Alima's brushes (with a few UD brushes thrown in... Wink ), so I really hope they expand their brush line. It would be so awesome to have an angled blush brush that's as high-quality as the #25!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, has anyone tried this blush brush, or any brushes from this site?

http://www.sevicosmetics.com/brushblushtaklon.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
May I ask why an angled brush is preferred? How is the application different from a regular blush brush?

I've never tried and an angled brush always seem harder to use for some reason to me, is it really better?
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
I still can't get the hang of it..but the shape melds with (I can't think of the word-damn MMM)the shape of your cheek. Then you use the full part to buff the color in. Personally, I find no difference. The buffing thing works though, esp. with scott barne's very pigmented blushes-if you don't buff, you look like a clown. His angled brush is great if you want to try one. I got it, not for the shape, but for the smaller head (precise placement of color), softness & density (makes it easy to buff the color). You end up blushing from within rather than without. Now if what I said made sense , please explain it back to me Embarassed
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review liz,
I was going to buy that same eyeshadow as well, I might go hunt it down in the stores now.
I was also interested in the angle blush brush, for the life of me I can't contour my cheeks properly! Maybe I will try it out at the counter first, if it is too flimsy for me then I will leave it.

I did buy the Raquel Welch lipstick in legendary femme and I love it, although the case squeeks when I turn it to bring the lipstick out!

Thanks for a great review as always!
CG
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:01 am      Reply with quote
marina - thanks for trying to explain, it makes more sense to me now. I have an SB Posh Chic palette and I have NO problems with the clown look - I use my MAC 188 - PERFECT everytime with every blush. I always think it's hard with the angle brush becase I sort of sweep up from the apples to the jawline rather than sweeping down which I would have to with an angle (well it's the only way that makes sense to me) and I think I would screw it up. And my cheek bones are that contoured so I don't usually do the particular area advised by most MUA, I do an area that suits my own face which is why I always thought angled brushes would be more tailored to those with more contoured cheek bones, so it always baffled me how the whole angle brush deal works.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
OK, I'm woman enough to own up when I was wrong, and it appears I was a wee bit hasty in judging this brush--- over the past few weeks it has become one of my favorite brushes! I still wish that it were as soft as the Alima brushes, but I guess you can't have everything, right?

Anyways, what I've noticed about this brush over the past few weeks is he fact that the bristles aren't so dense means that it doesn't pick up as much product, so it's great to use with highly pigmented mineral blushes like Alima, and also with highly pigmented pressed blushes like Sue Devitt. It's great for contouring, and also for depositing just the right touch of color on the apples of your cheeks. Today I used it to sweep Alima's Sugar Rose blush along my cheekbones to contour my face, and then I used it to dab just a little bit of pink blush (Plush, I believe) right on the apples of my cheeks, and the result is so beautiful! Of course for blushes that are NOT highly pigmented or that have a drier, baked texture (like Bourjois) I would still recommend a brush that's a little more dense, such as Alima's or Urban Decay's, however, that being said, I have still come to absolutely adore my MAC 169.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
OK, I'm woman enough to own up when I was wrong, and it appears I was a wee bit hasty in judging this brush--- over the past few weeks it has become one of my favorite brushes!.

OK Liz,
I broke down and bought this brush and I loooove it! Thank you so much for recommending it- I now can make my cheeks look contoured easily!
I also bought the Dior Show mascara you recommended on another thread and I love it as well!

CG
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have the contour brush in the holiday set and I definitely agree it is not as good quality as the full versions. But it isn't too scratchy and because it is a smallish head it does allow precise placement. For the price of the holiday set, the brushes are of alright quality in my opinion Very Happy.

And to all those girls who ever get into really pigmented blushes or wear liquid foundation you got to check out MAC 187. If it my favourite brush besides the 182.

If I use the 187 I don't need a sponge to smooth out the foundation, the foundation is just buffed in beautifully.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the review!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |