Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Can You Dry Brush Your Face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I'm also beginning to think dry brushing my face will improve my eyesight over time ... (wishful thinking?) You know, it makes sense with all the stimulation and better bloodflow to the eye area... well we'll wait and see. I'm planning on continuing with this so if I notice clearer vision I'll definitely report here! Smile
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought the sephora facial brush to see how my skin likes it...I've tried it today for the first time, this morning and just now (bedtime)...it got rid of my flakies so my makeup looked better, but my face seems itchy for a few minutes afterwards...I think my skin may not like the nylon bristles...or is this just an adjustment thing?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:51 am      Reply with quote
It's important to start carefully. Your face is not supposed to get sore and red from brushing.

Here's a link on face brushing from Beautifulonraw:

http://www.beautifulonraw.com/Facial_Dry_Brushing_Exfoliate_Your_Face.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I know I've whined about this before, but when I dry brush my body, not to put too fine a point on it, but I get itchy pits. And, I swear, I'm not scrubbing that hard.

The natural brush bristles are darned prickly, so the idea of using natural bristles on my face, seems about as appealing as exfoliating with cat litter.

Am I just a big weenie?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 am      Reply with quote
After six weeks of daily, facial dry brushing I would like to give an update.

Decollete, neck and face
I brush these areas with up- and outwards circular strokes every night before cleansing. Initially I used a medium stiff brush with natural bristles.

After some weeks, I felt that my skin required "stronger stuff" and moved on to a nail brush with natural bristles. I bought it at my local health food store. The bristles are quite stiff. I find it to be very efficient in terms of boosting circulation and removing dead flakes. I have actually retired my NCN pumpkin peel for now, as the brushing is highly effective for exfoliation purposes. My skin is fine with the nail brush. I believe dry brushing has gradually made it stronger, and I don't experience any soreness, redness or broken capillaries.

What I have experienced, is smooth, soft skin coming to the surface. The skin almost achieves a "polished" look with diligent brushing, and it's definitely stronger and more robust.

The dry, red patches of some kind of eczema on the sides of my neck, below the ears, have been absent for the last weeks. That's unusual. I believe the improvement is due to the dry brushing as the patches have been there - more or less - for a long time, and I haven't changed anything else in my routine.

I can also report on another happening two days ago. Warning: Sensitive people might skip this passage and move on Arrow Well, it may be disgusting to read about, but I'll take the chance in the name of enlightenment of the people. Wink

I realised that I felt something in my ear, and I was actually able to dig out a large amount of dark-coloured ear wax, i.e. it has been there for a while. It was really quite a lot, and it felt like a relief to get rid of it. I have never experienced anything similar. I lean towards the theory that the lymph drainage from face brushing might have encouraged the wax moving out.
I would like to hear if others have had similar experiences.

Eyes
Using a baby tooth brush, I have been brushing my under eye area. I begin in the outer corner and brush inwards with small, circular movements. Then I have been brushing in the opposite direction, starting in the inner corner. I have heard that it can be beneficial for drainage to use this technique.

It's difficult to estimate possible improvements, but I believe there might have been some flattening of the under eye bags. My under eye lines are still present.
I intend to continue the under eye brushing, as well.

Unnecessarily to say, I'm experiencing such great benefits with facial dry brushing that I undoubtedly will continue. I now reckon brushing to be one of the most important steps in my skin care routine. Razz

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Sept,

Thnks for your report.
It has called my attention what you have mentioned about you ear's wax.
I had something similar a while ago only on my left ear.
I did not relate the wax with my facial brushing. At the moment it happened I thought it could be because of an ear infection that I did not detect.
Now I am wondering if, as you mentioned, could be related to lymphatic drainage. Question Question Question
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Zenity wrote:
Sept,

Thnks for your report.
It has called my attention what you have mentioned about you ear's wax.
I had something similar a while ago only on my left ear.
I did not relate the wax with my facial brushing. At the moment it happened I thought it could be because of an ear infection that I did not detect.
Now I am wondering if, as you mentioned, could be related to lymphatic drainage. Question Question Question

Hi, Zenity.

Interesting...

Actually, it only happened to my left ear, too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
After six weeks of daily, facial dry brushing I would like to give an update.

...It's difficult to estimate possible improvements, but I believe there might have been some flattening of the under eye bags. My under eye lines are still present.
I intend to continue the under eye brushing, as well.

Unnecessarily to say, I'm experiencing such great benefits with facial dry brushing that I undoubtedly will continue. I now reckon brushing to be one of the most important steps in my skin care routine. Razz

I am happy to report I've also experienced a reduction in undereye puffiness. I don't have bags as such but I am very prone to getting puffy, which at my age, can show as bags. I've noticed with brushing my eyes have become considerably less puffy! I'm also definitely continuing with this.

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 3:17 am      Reply with quote
Wow! PM!

Congrats on your success fighting your puffiness.
Very Happy
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! The tiny bumps I started this for and my fine under-eye lines are still there though. Maybe it's still too soon... I'm hoping they will disappear eventually.

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I will never do that, what do you mean by dry brush, I am afraid it may scratch your skin. I prefer massaging it to increase circulation but no brushing.
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
I was thinking about getting the dermaroller but then I happen upon this thread and now want the dry brush. ugh! I developing a serious addition to this website. anyways, i digress, my question is: do you ladies think I need a dry brush and dermaroller? Seems as if the dry brush will help product penetrate the skin, exactly what the dermaroller is used for.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 3:32 am      Reply with quote
Hello, jf.

I would also think you shouldn't do both at the same time. It could be an idea to start with dry brushing. It exfoliates skin, and I believe it helps products penetrate deeper. If you want more "invasive" treatment after a while, you may consider Dermaroller. I'm still very happy with dry brushing and don't think I'll ever stop.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
jf wrote:
I was thinking about getting the dermaroller but then I happen upon this thread and now want the dry brush. ugh! I developing a serious addition to this website. anyways, i digress, my question is: do you ladies think I need a dry brush and dermaroller? Seems as if the dry brush will help product penetrate the skin, exactly what the dermaroller is used for.

I use both a dry brush and a Dermaroller. The dry brush will help in exfoliating the skin but it can no way be compared to using a skin roller. I suggest you read through the Dermaroller thread and it will explain in detail the benefits of using a skin roller.
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
thanks septembergirl and keliu for your feedback! I really think I'll start with the dry brushing. I can always move to the roller later. Do you have clairsonic? I was thinking maybe the dry brushing will improve little red bumps on my upper arms.
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone have an recs for an inexpensive dry brush?
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
jf,

Look earlier in the thread and you will see info and links for dry brushes for the face - preference should be for natural fibers (v. synthetic)"
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

For the body, I highly recommend the tampico (natural fiber) one by Yerba Prima:
http://www.yerba.com/storefront/item.asp?id=73
You often can find it in health food stores or Whole Foods. If not, you can purchase it online (check Amazon and other places)... Some may complain it's "too rough" but your skin should get used to it and the "experts" say it's best to start with the right strength v. starting with softer brushes and trying to build up (you won't want to build up)...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 4:13 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I use both a dry brush and a Dermaroller. The dry brush will help in exfoliating the skin but it can no way be compared to using a skin roller. I suggest you read through the Dermaroller thread and it will explain in detail the benefits of using a skin roller.

Thank you for this information. Perhaps I should consider the rolling, as well, as my skin is now strong and robust due to dry brushing. Can you use the Dermaroller under your eyes?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I do use it under my eyes very gently. No problem at all except for being a very sensitive area.
Around the eyes and "mustache" zones are the ones made my eyes cry a little bit.

I have found that if I massage in a very aggressive way my face, even slapping my face is much less sensitive than when i go directly for skin rolling.

Ice does help too to minimize the feeling of rolling.
You will find a lot of valuable information in the dermaroller thread.

---------------------

I still use the baby brush around eyes and still do dry brushing in my face.
I stopped doing it every day as I found that if I give my skin a day off seems to respond much better to my, now, aggressive dry brushing.

I do not follow an special way to brush, other than the one i posted, but now, right at the end of my session i try to brush following the location of lymphatic glands to eliminate fluids and toxins moved during the brushing and in some cases due to facial suction massage.

My skin now feels, looks, and is stronger, uniformer, lighter, and a lot more toned.
My eyes skin has thicken significantly, specially the outer part of my eye (were crow's feet are located) and lower eyelid. I am focusing more now into the upper eyelid, paying more attention and intensifying brushing-massage there.

I hope it does respond as well as the rest of my face has.

If you want to find out were are lymph glands located in the face I posted a link few pages back with diagrams.

I forgot to add: I use the baby tooth over my lips too. Oh my! They look so smooth! no deep lines and a beautiful and natural color too.
I love the way they look, and so does people around me, lately my lips seem to be catching all the attention. Shock
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
That's a nice and encouraging report on dry brushing, Zenity. I envy your lips! I still hope to achieve some more improvement under my eyes, which is my trouble area where age shows most.

I have spent the last two days reading the Dermaroller-thread and am now encouraged, confused and undecided at the same time. Yesterday I closed my eyes and pressed the button for a 0.5 mm roller for my face and a 1.5 mm to use on some scars on my body.

After reading the reports on topical anaesthetics, bruising, bleeding and swelling from dermarolling, I have landed on the "chicken version" with short needles for my face.

Well, I am not going to hijack this thread. Just wanted to mention, as my thoughts are now spinning around these small needles that soon will come in the mail from Australia and perforate my skin. Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Sept,
Both dry skin brushing and skin needling have done wonders for my skin.
I am sure you will be happy with it. Wink
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
A couple people here have posted about itchiness. My thoughts - unless it is a reaction to the brush (I think synthetic fiber brushes would be worse), I think the itchiness is due to toxins being released from the body and coming out your pores. Especially the person who said their underarms itched after dry brushing. Keep at it with the dry brushing and hopefully, eventually you'll have less detox and less itching.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
SeptemberGirl, does it matter if we brush in clockwise or anti-clockwise motion from our nose to the jaws/sides of face?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Came across the following post on daily face massage instructions with pictures. Hope this is helpful

http://store.annabellina.com/massagemyth.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:
SeptemberGirl, does it matter if we brush in clockwise or anti-clockwise motion from our nose to the jaws/sides of face?

Hi, snowstar. This is what I do: Making circular movements clockwise on the left cheek and counter-clockwise on the right cheek, always moving along the cheek muscles. Smile

Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |