Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The reason why we take care of ourselves so well today.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to say that I'm a 21 year old male, practically obsessed with skin, health, and the body. My friends wonder why I even bother and I told them something that changed their opinion in one second and I wanted to share it with you all for those that also doubt why you take care of yourselves so well.

If we don't take of ourselves now, then what will happen when we age and our family depends on us? We won't be healthy enough to take care of them. So I stay healthy not for myself, but for the loved ones I will grow to take care of. The family I will grow up with 10,20, or even 50 years down the line, to my parents who will need to be taken care of, to the family I do not have in my life but will soon have (marriage, kids, etc).

I know some of you are not as young as I, but the principles are probably the same all around.

So some people may think it's vanity, but staying at optimal health is something careless in nature, if you look at exactly why some people like me do so Smile.

I hope that makes sense, do any of you also believe this?

I want to hear what you all think. Tell me your own personal reasons you stay healthy and take optimal care of yourselves Smile.

What motivates you to not give up and splurge on everything like the rest of the world seems to do.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
*post was moderated, please see forum guidelines*
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with your point on why we take care of our health. Of course I would like to be in a good position to care for my parents, but I'm also terrified of falling terminally ill...I have a low threshold for pain. As for why I take care of my skin, it's because of pure vanity. Wink
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:

I'm sorry if that came off as just skin care. I'm directly implying taking care of yourself, meaning exercise and a proper diet. The only thing I do for my skin is cleansing and moisturizing.

I shouldn't have used the word obsession, it was a superfluous word. Sorry about that, I should have said routine: as in how it's routine for me now and why I do it.

My friends sound just like you though, interpreting it for the wrong reasons, but I'm being honest here in terms of what I said.

This implies directly, with as I said in the post, "optimal health" which goes beyond the condition of your skin. I did mention "skin" solely since your vitality and health shows through the quality of your skin as well: in case you decide to bring that part up.

So at least now you can understand why skin care has nothing to do with taking care of family, because I never mentioned it that way.

Smile
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
I agree with your point on why we take care of our health. Of course I would like to be in a good position to care for my parents, but I'm also terrified of falling terminally ill...I have a low threshold for pain. As for why I take care of my skin, it's because of pure vanity. Wink

Oh great point, the part about falling terminally ill is a scary thought.

In fact, after seeing my father suffer a heart attack, it put things in perspective to me. My family has a bad history, but I never knew it was that bad.

There I was at a day where I was scared, unsure if my father would leave me alone to take care of my family at a young age. From that day I decided at that age, I would no where be near bad health, and I couldn't let my family down either. The way I felt, I wouldn't want my son and wife to have the fear of losing me and my family in the future. The fear, the same way you also feel of falling ill, I wouldn't want to either. Sad

Glad to say, he did survive and after that, he turned his life around and he started running and eating right and now he's healthier than he was at 20. He was my big inspiration. It's funny, he was an inspiration to me when he was sick, and healthy!

Sorry for mumbling on, I felt like sharing that Sad
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Awwww I was just giving you a hard time, hon.

But, on a certain level, I meant what I said. I have several friends who couldn't possibly have taken BETTER care of themselves, who suffered what were unexplained and unanticipated tragic health situations. I also know people who abused themselves for decades and miraculously made it to old age unscathed.

I don't abuse my body or my mind. I eat well, I exercise, and am a big believer in preventive screening, etc. So, yes, I take care of myself. But, I also know that it doesn't carry any guarantees. Experience has taught me to enjoy my life WHILE I'm living it, although I don't do it without regard for the future.

There are alot of things in this life that we can effect and control. And, unfortunately, there's alot that we can't. It's important to know the difference between the two.
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
Awwww I was just giving you a hard time, hon.

But, on a certain level, I meant what I said. I have several friends who couldn't possibly have taken BETTER care of themselves, who suffered what were unexplained and unanticipated tragic health situations. I also know people who abused themselves for decades and miraculously made it to old age unscathed.

I don't abuse my body or my mind. I eat well, I exercise, and am a big believer in preventive screening, etc. So, yes, I take care of myself. But, I also know that it doesn't carry any guarantees. Experience has taught me to enjoy my life WHILE I'm living it, although I don't do it without regard for the future.

There are alot of things in this life that we can effect and control. And, unfortunately, there's alot that we can't. It's important to know the difference between the two.

You're right, I'm really sorry, I seemed a bit defensive there, my fault.

I should learn from that, because I see the same happen too, and it kind of seems to control my life, perhaps I'm in denial too. I think it will take some time.

I appreciate the time you took to explain what you meant, makes me feel better Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I do agree that we should take care of ourselves in the sense of physical health, so not to be a burden on others if we do fall sick from lack of good physical maintenance, but also if others are dependent on us.

BUT this mindset is incredibly hard to have, because often taking care of yourself may mean doing things that would involve spending more money, thinking differently, changing routine etc... so initiating that change would be one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. Even when this seems logical, most of us are just too "lazy" to change our ways.

And when you are young, the last thing on your mind is how your seemingly OK health and lifestyle may lead to unpredictable health problems in the future. Such things take decades to creep up on you, so when results are not immediate and tangible, human nature is never patient enough to wait around.

We sell income protection insurance at work, and one of the most enticing lines we shoot off is "How can you maintain your lifestyle if you fall ill? Who will take care of your loved ones if you are the sole provider?" - same logic but nobody really cares!
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I do agree that we should take care of ourselves in the sense of physical health, so not to be a burden on others if we do fall sick from lack of good physical maintenance, but also if others are dependent on us.

BUT this mindset is incredibly hard to have, because often taking care of yourself may mean doing things that would involve spending more money, thinking differently, changing routine etc... so initiating that change would be one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. Even when this seems logical, most of us are just too "lazy" to change our ways.

And when you are young, the last thing on your mind is how your seemingly OK health and lifestyle may lead to unpredictable health problems in the future. Such things take decades to creep up on you, so when results are not immediate and tangible, human nature is never patient enough to wait around.

We sell income protection insurance at work, and one of the most enticing lines we shoot off is "How can you maintain your lifestyle if you fall ill? Who will take care of your loved ones if you are the sole provider?" - same logic but nobody really cares!

Laughing

You are very right Smile. Everyone knows the principles, but no one begins to seriously think about it before something happens in their life, or as you say, it creeps up on them and then.

It seems as though life span is also increases in people these days, is that because most people are realizing this early and they're doing something about it, or is it because the advancements of medicine, which some people rely on heavily, is enhancing life expectancy?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I think the reason I "try" to take good care of myself well today is a selfish one. I want to live a long life and travel with my boyfriend when we retire (he'd better start taking better care of himself!) and watch my kids grow old and see them have kids, etc.

However I don't always go overboard and kill myself with eating only organic veggies and fruits, etc. Maybe I should. But I can't stand to become a vegetarian. I love meat in my food. I also love donuts (especially Krispy Kreme), and I will splurge every once in a while. The only good thing is I don't care for chocolates or ice cream, but will eat them if someone brings them to work and they got nuts in them. I try my best to exercise daily, and take stairs instead of elevators. But again I don't go crazy or get obsessed about it.

I figured I'll do my best to stay healthy so I won't suffer from some terminal illness. However I also realize there's no guarantee that it will be that way.

Regarding skincare, I just get obsessed b/c I'm a perfectionist, and seem to see every little line on my face when I don't get enough sleep. Also EDS is a fun place, and it is my new passion to see what I can do to improve my skin. It becomes almost a game to me. Maybe it's a fad, and it might fade. Don't know.

Darn it! I need to go drink more water though! Keep forgetting that. Rolling Eyes
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
I think the reason I "try" to take good care of myself well today is a selfish one. I want to live a long life and travel with my boyfriend when we retire (he'd better start taking better care of himself!) and watch my kids grow old and see them have kids, etc.

However I don't always go overboard and kill myself with eating only organic veggies and fruits, etc. Maybe I should. But I can't stand to become a vegetarian. I love meat in my food. I also love donuts (especially Krispy Kreme), and I will splurge every once in a while. The only good thing is I don't care for chocolates or ice cream, but will eat them if someone brings them to work and they got nuts in them. I try my best to exercise daily, and take stairs instead of elevators. But again I don't go crazy or get obsessed about it.

I figured I'll do my best to stay healthy so I won't suffer from some terminal illness. However I also realize there's no guarantee that it will be that way.

Regarding skincare, I just get obsessed b/c I'm a perfectionist, and seem to see every little line on my face when I don't get enough sleep. Also EDS is a fun place, and it is my new passion to see what I can do to improve my skin. It becomes almost a game to me. Maybe it's a fad, and it might fade. Don't know.

Darn it! I need to go drink more water though! Keep forgetting that. Rolling Eyes

You actually do better than me Smile. I need to exercise a bit more, but I do try to keep a good tab on diet. I feel like you, with diet. Seeing what it does to my body, I get addicted! Especially studying things such as fish oil and the effects it has, especially seeing the connections with the japanese and the inuet life cycle, and how their primary diet is omega 3, and how long they lived. So fascinating!

This forum is addicting to, hearing all you ladies talk about these products, gets me interested. I try some hear and there at times to see how it works. Laughing Smile

Mmm, speaking of which, krispy kreme's are so delicious, especially coming off the belt line fresh Razz
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you can talk to my bf. He won't use any lotion. He said, "No way, that's gay. Guys don't have to use lotions." I just rolled my eyes and said, "Guys are people, too, and they can have dry skin just like girls." He said, "No, guys don't get dry skin." Well, his morning routines sure don't take long. LOL
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
For me it's simple. I want to age beautifully, and stay smokin hot no matter how old I am.

After many surgeries and more to come, laser treatments, the best skin care, 30min a day work outs, I look better now at 40, than I did in my 20's. The average age I am told I look, is 30 (and trust me, I always ask peoples guesses here...lol)

Call it vein, call it self centered...I call it all that and more. I love it. I have an appreciation for asthetics. It just turns me on...plus you heard the saying...life begins at 40..it's true.. Wink
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Maybe you can talk to my bf. He won't use any lotion. He said, "No way, that's gay. Guys don't have to use lotions." I just rolled my eyes and said, "Guys are people, too, and they can have dry skin just like girls." He said, "No, guys don't get dry skin." Well, his morning routines sure don't take long. LOL

hahahah! Laughing That sounds like a lot of people I know too!

You should tell him, guys who use lotion are a turn on for me, and then he'd probably start using lotion right away Smile!

In fact, if he doesn't like lotion, put some aloe vera gel on his face, he may like that, tell him it's meant for post shaving, so it soothes your manly shaving irritation.

Sell him the idea, then soon enough he'll transition into lotions, and then eventually on this board posting with you Laughing
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
SandraG wrote:
For me it's simple. I want to age beautifully, and stay smokin hot no matter how old I am.

After many surgeries and more to come, laser treatments, the best skin care, 30min a day work outs, I look better now at 40, than I did in my 20's. The average age I am told I look, is 30 (and trust me, I always ask peoples guesses here...lol)

Call it vein, call it self centered...I call it all that and more. I love it. I have an appreciation for asthetics. It just turns me on...plus you heard the saying...life begins at 40..it's true.. Wink

That is the hottest thing I have ever heard, gulp!

No seriously, that's a nice way of thinking, everyone here doesn't look their age at all! You guys take such good care of yourselves, I commend you all!
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
xxndnromeoxx, I basically agree with you. I want to stay healthy (and smart Wink) so that I can take care of people I love and care about when they need me.

On the other hand, I want to look pretty, and age slowly, because that will make myself feel good Very Happy
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
j0g6345 wrote:
xxndnromeoxx, I basically agree with you. I want to stay healthy (and smart Wink) so that I can take care of people I love and care about when they need me.

On the other hand, I want to look pretty, and age slowly, because that will make myself feel good Very Happy

That is always definitely a plus Very Happy
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Time for homework, see you all tomorrow! goodnight Surprised
Moocheez
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
xxndnromeoxx wrote:
I wanted to say that I'm a 21 year old male, practically obsessed with skin, health, and the body. My friends wonder why I even bother and I told them something that changed their opinion in one second and I wanted to share it with you all for those that also doubt why you take care of yourselves so well.

If we don't take of ourselves now, then what will happen when we age and our family depends on us? We won't be healthy enough to take care of them. So I stay healthy not for myself, but for the loved ones I will grow to take care of. The family I will grow up with 10,20, or even 50 years down the line, to my parents who will need to be taken care of, to the family I do not have in my life but will soon have (marriage, kids, etc).

I know some of you are not as young as I, but the principles are probably the same all around.

So some people may think it's vanity, but staying at optimal health is something careless in nature, if you look at exactly why some people like me do so Smile.

I hope that makes sense, do any of you also believe this?

I want to hear what you all think. Tell me your own personal reasons you stay healthy and take optimal care of yourselves Smile.

What motivates you to not give up and splurge on everything like the rest of the world seems to do.

If you don't mind me asking, are you Asian by any chance ? For a 21 year old, you have a "part of a whole type" way of thinking. Very Confucian . Razz
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I'm Indian, so that would make sense Smile Haha!
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:02 am      Reply with quote
ok, i'll admit, i take care of myself mainly because i'm vain. i dont' want to look ugly now nor down the road. or at least i can try. Rolling Eyes
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:12 am      Reply with quote
Interesting discussion, guys!

So I'll weigh in:
Yes, I take care of myself because (gasp) I am vain!!!
But I agree with Katee, anyone who claims they are putting copper peptides on their skin to be able to ultimately take care of their parents if totally kidding themselves. I also agree with our 21 year old here that he did not necessarily make that claim to begin with.

for me, though, my goal is actually to keep the vanity spells at bay. That is, to make all of this skincare thing FUN, NOT obsessive, and a matter of BALANCE and REASON. I love waking up to use my products, and I feel like I am doing all good things to my skin and my body. My goal is to keep my skin looking and feeling healthy and balanced, so I don't have to worry about it now or in the future.

BUT I will say that if you obsess over taking care of yourself, it will indeed manifest physically and psychologically. Please do not obsess. I recently obsessed over the writing of my dissertation, and I got shingles--a very painful virus. Women who obsess about their skin can more easily than not end up looking like Jocelyn Wildenstein:

YIKKKKKEEEESSSS!

Do what you believe is necessary and then go out and enjoy life!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:41 am      Reply with quote
I'm all for balance. I have to keep myself fit and flexible, exercising every single day, because of a medical condition. If I don't do it, then I'm going to end up in a very bad way and there's simply no way I'm going to let that happen. For the same reason, although I'd devour all the chocolate in existence if it was up to me, I try to eat reasonably healthily to help my joints continue to do their work well.

However, I try to find forms of exercise that I enjoy and to eat food that I enjoy. If I like something, I'll eat it - just not excessively (or at least, not excessively all of the time! Embarassed )

Similarly, there are some activities I'm not supposed to do because of my condition. But I just listen to my body, and if I think I'm up to it, then I'll go whitewater rafting, ziplining, bungee-jumping or whatever. And if someone would (please, please, please) let me ride in a fighter jet, then I'd be in like Flynn, damn the consequences.

About 14 years ago, I very briefly died and the docs brought me back. Since then, I want to do amazing things, things that might scare me, thrill me and push me to my limits. If I had kids to think about, then my attitude would probably be very different and I'd be far more careful.

Be all means, look after yourselves, but just don't forget to live. I can tell you from experience that you don't know what lies around the next corner. Live your life now.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one, but I don't really care about my health all that much. I definitely care about my skin more because I'm vain and I don't just care how other people see me but it affects me on the inside in terms of confidence - I mean who doesn't feel better about themselves when they think they're pretty right?

I don't care whether I eat a balanced diet, I eat whatever I feel like although I'm not that keen on junk food or sweets, only eat them occasionally and I don't exercise. I don't eat 3 meals a day, I eat whenever I feel hungry. I'll probably change when I have a more regular schedule in terms of work but it's never been a big issue to me. My mindset is I'm young and I can take in all my fav foods which may or may not be particularly healthy. I love fattening foods and foods with high cholesterols. I also love fruit though (but I doubt it balances out Laughing) If I don't eat this stuff now I won't be able to eat it later when I'm of old age and the doctor tells me those foods are bad for me. Or even sometimes when you get sick and you're told to stay away from particular foods.
Not just this but I agree with katee on how there is little you can control sometimes on this issue. I can't fight genes, in the end I'll probably end up with Parkinsons, diabetes, etc - I already had a heart condition that was operated on and "fixed". If I don't live the way I want now, I probably won't be able to later so Carpe Diem!

I don't want to be so careful and dwell so much on my health that when I grow old I missed out on the fine foods of the world. Yes I love food, I spend more on food and wine than on anything else - even more than skincare!

There's ONE thing that I do though - you know how people say a glass of red wine everyday is good for your heart? Well guess what - I'm startin' early! Laughing
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Interesting discussion, guys!

So I'll weigh in:
Yes, I take care of myself because (gasp) I am vain!!!
Please do not obsess. I recently obsessed over the writing of my dissertation, and I got shingles--a very painful virus. Women who obsess about their skin can more easily than not end up looking like Jocelyn Wildenstein:

YIKKKKKEEEESSSS!

Do what you believe is necessary and then go out and enjoy life!

--avalange

Hear Hear...everyone is vain to an extent but that woman is in a class of her own. I saw a picture of what she looked like pre-op and thought she was already lovely.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |