Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Alima Blush Review
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:03 am      Reply with quote
Since Alima is having a 20% sale on ALL their blushes this would be a great time for all to shop for some new blush colors. I have LLL skin, MAC NC20, Alima O1/W1 and Lumiere Light-Medium Warm. Hoping others will add to the ones that I have no tried:

Bisque (Warm Beigy Pink) and Carnation (Medium Neutral Pink) - Matte:

Both are very pigmented REDDISH BROWNS, they look exactly the same on me and make me look like I got slapped. I don't see any pink tones in either.

Azalea (warm coral pink) - Matte:
It's basically a warm coral color. Alima likes to call many of their color "pinks" but sometimes a lot of them aren't really "pink". This has too much "red" tones for me, very true to the word coral, very pigmented and just a tad darker than the swatch. A nice color and I can see this working with warmer light to medium skintones. If you're pale this might be too much for you.

Apple Blossom (soft pink) and Pink (Soft Neutral Pink)- Matte:
Apple Blossom is very true to its description and slightly lighter IRL than the swatch. Provides a soft ballerina type pink flush. I really like this but I have too many similar colors but definitely in my future purchase list. I recommend AB to most unless you're not into pinks. Pink on the other hand is a darker version of Apple Blossom to me and I prefer Apple Blossom. But if you are medium skintoned I'd go for pink because I can see AB being able to look chalky on some. The swatch of the pink isn't quite accurate, IRL it's much softer and not as rosy pink as on the swatch.

Honey Rose (Warm Medium Rose) - Matte:

This is a very beautiful blush and not too dark at all. To me it's a warm peachy color with a hint of red (or rose). It's similar to something like MAC peachykeen and almost identical to my Stila Sugarloaf. This would look so well in lipsticks like Coco Noir and works well with many skintones even if you're pale because this is lighter than something like Azalea. I think this would look great on someone like manslayerliz! A must have for those who like peachy blushes.

Primrose (lustrous pale pink) - Shimmer:

This does not show up on me. Actually I can't imagine this showing up on ANYBODY. The swatch is absolutely DIFFERENT from what it's like IRL, in actuality this is super pale pink which ends up just looking shimmery because there's so little color. Think Everyday Minerals Pink Blush except a little bit more pink. I see this as more of a highlighter than an actual blush.

Peony - discontinued, Shimmer:

I really liked this color, even more than Apple Blossom. Gives a perfect pink flush that's barely there (if you know what I mean). It's what I thought Primrose would've been. Too bad it's been discontinued.

Candy (muted neutral pink) - Shimmer:

The swatch is inaccurate, this looks like Rosa and Sugar Rose combined. A medium rosy pink color with beige tones. Perfect for the work place, gives a nice sophisticated and natural finish, won't look too girly and won't look too made up. I have purchased this in full size. This is a very good everyday blush and I see this working with most skintones as it's not too dark and not too light, just right.

Rosa (soft-rose pink) - Shimmer:
I really liked this color until I looked at myself in the sun and thought I looked a bit slapped. This really is a true rosy pink color but a bit too pigmented for it to work with my skintone.

Lotus (pure, cool pink) - Shimmer:

Very cool, very pink. Too pink for my liking. Similar to Rosa except Rosa has more red in it so warmer than Lotus. I think this would look nice on those who like this type of color, I prefer more neutral blushes but I can see this wouldn't be too hard to wear.

Guava (warm coral pink) - Shimmer:
True to its name it's very coral with a hint of pink and quite shimmery. In fact it reminds me of a much subtler version of MAC Pink Bronze pigment. This was way too orange for me as I expected it to be but I wanted to try anyways due to all the raves. Although it doesn't work as a blush I find this to be a FANTASTIC eyeshadow color, perfect for spring/summer. I love it as a lid wash, really brightens my brown eyes. I'm going to keep buying samples of this to keep use as an e/s!

Sugar Rose (neutral beigy pink) - Shimmer:

A fav among quite a few EDSers, this is really a beige with barely there pink tones. I still haven't figured whether I like this on me as it looks a bit more beigy with brown tones than pink tones on me. For my skintype this would totally work as a bronzer if it was matte, actually it would be the perfect bronzer if it was matte. However this would be a perfect blush for the completely "nude" look. If you're not too into beige or this type of color go with Plush.

Plush (perfect neutral rose) - Shimmer:
This is quite similar to Sugar Rose except instead of the beige tones it has rose tones. And because it's neutral it's not too pink, brown or red. Perfect and true to its name.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:11 am      Reply with quote
thanks so much for the review, sormuimui--very thorough! Image

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I think I might have to try Apple Blossom and Honey rose. I also bought Candy in full size; your description of it couldn't be more accurate! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review, Sormuimui!! This is a great time to try Alima blushes because of the sale, so I'm definitely going to try some of your recs. I really LOVE Alima blushes--- right now Sugar Rose is my daily driver (it's just so natural on me), but I've been experimenting with Sahara, Plush, and Candy and I love them too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Great review! Thanks so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Alima's Tea Rose (perfect warm rose) is a good one if you want to give your cheeks a good dose of warm color. I tend to look washed out easily esp if I do not have any blush on at all and when I use a little more color (to look like a natural flush) I look a lot healthier. Plush is also a good one for color too!

I am still playing around with all of my samples. I have found that I shouldn't underestimate the power of these fabulous blushes... meaning that I thought at first that some of the shades were too light and didn't show up or had too much glimmer in them. But after I applied them and stepped back and/or glanced at myself in the rear view mirror in the car I discovered that yes, they really did look lovely. They also blend SO well! It's like I can use any of my samples according to my mood if that makes sense. Wink I'll post the shades I am trying soon... I just wanted to give them a good try before I post any comments.

Also, the color swatches online do not do their blushes justice. (It's so difficult to accurately portray actual make-up colors on the computer monitor.) You really have to order samples to determine what is best for you.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
I've sampled two of their blushes. I'm a N1 Chiffon in their foundation.

Dianthus - I really like this. Their description is a cool rosy pink with subtle gold highlights. This looks very natural on my skin and it has the perfect amount of shimmer. I think it's a very healthy look. I am tempted to purchase a full size of this, but I have so many blushes already!

Apple Blossom - I like this as well. A very pretty soft pink that looks very natural. Sometimes I like a matte blush, but between the two of these, I think I prefer the Dianthus with the bit of shimmer.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Thanks for the great review, Sormuimui!! This is a great time to try Alima blushes because of the sale, so I'm definitely going to try some of your recs. I really LOVE Alima blushes--- right now Sugar Rose is my daily driver (it's just so natural on me), but I've been experimenting with Sahara, Plush, and Candy and I love them too.

Liz,

What do you think of Sahara? I think I have light to medium skin tone and Sahara looks almost bright orange on my skin (almost like Nars Taj Mahal except a bit more bronze). Actually, coppery bronze would be a better word to describe it. So unflattering! But since I ordered the full size without even trying it, I refuse to throw it away. I have to pick up the smallest amount and blend and blend and blend away then top it up with my MMU foundation again so it won't look too orange on me.

I really like Sugar Rose on me, but not enough to wanna purchase a full size at the moment as I have so many

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes! Sorry I clicked the submit button without even finishing my sentence.

I meant I don't like it enough to wanna order a full size at the moment as I have so many blushes at the moment, but I can definitely see myself ordering it in the future. The color looks natural on my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:

Liz,

What do you think of Sahara? I think I have light to medium skin tone and Sahara looks almost bright orange on my skin (almost like Nars Taj Mahal except a bit more bronze). Actually, coppery bronze would be a better word to describe it. So unflattering! But since I ordered the full size without even trying it, I refuse to throw it away. I have to pick up the smallest amount and blend and blend and blend away then top it up with my MMU foundation again so it won't look too orange on me.

I really like Sugar Rose on me, but not enough to wanna purchase a full size at the moment as I have so many

Lynn, the jury is still out on Sahara. If I go too heavy on it then it definitely looks orange on me, however, if I apply it very lightly then it's more on the peachy side which I like. However, I still prefer Sugar Rose--- it's more natural.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
andaman_gypsy wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:

Liz,

Lynn, the jury is still out on Sahara. If I go too heavy on it then it definitely looks orange on me, however, if I apply it very lightly then it's more on the peachy side which I like. However, I still prefer Sugar Rose--- it's more natural.

I've always imagined it to be super orange on you as you're so pale.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Ok, just for fun I swatched all of the Alima blushes I'm trying in a stripe on the back of my hand to be able to really compare them colorwise. Here's what I came up with:

Sugar Rose: beigy-peach with a whisper of pink. Very natural and flattering--- this one is still my fave.

Plush: neutral pink with a beige undertone. I think this one would be a nice match for Sugar Rose, for example putting Sugar Rose along the cheekbone then adding a touch of Plush on the apples for a bit more color

Sahara: kind of a bronzy-peach. I like this one a lot, but I'm afraid it just might be too orange for my skintone, so it's going up for swap at MUA.

Dianthus: neutral, sheer pink. This is similar to plush but more sheer.

Candy: This one has more pink than plush. It's more like a true light pink on me, but like Sormuimui said I think it would be very nice for work as it's very subtle and pretty.

I'll keep you guys updated!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
i find that sahara makes me somewhat orange if I have too much on.. (i have medium skin with gold undertones for reference) but sugar rose is gorgeous on me.. it gives me not TOO pink of a flush but a nice neutral glowy flush:)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:56 am      Reply with quote
I wonder what skintone Sahara looks flattering on Eh?

5% products discount

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Honey Rose, it gives me a great blush look. It's so natural and soft looking!
Metaphora
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I got samples of Plush, Sugar Rose and Aurora Luminous Shimmer Blushes.

Plush and Sugar Rose were nice, but I wore Aurora today and love it. The site describes it as "lustrous pale antique rose." On me, it's the perfect balance ... cooler pink warmed with a touch of peach.

Most cool pink blushes will look garish on me while peach blushes make me look yellowish and pasty (Nars "Orgasm" is way too peach for me). Aurora is pink, but warmed with just enough peach that it strikes the perfect natural balance. I had a "good face day" wearing it. Since starting the Lips2Kiss system I've felt pasty (even w/ the other Alima blushes) with no color on my lips, but the Aurora blush made me look healthy & glowing and still natural.

I think I'll get a full size of this.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
I've got full sizes of Apple Blossom, Pink and Peony. Didn't realise Peony was now discontinued, so I guess I was lucky to get it (only a couple weeks ago) as I really like it and it's my "regular" everyday blush at the moment.

And is it just my imagination or do the Alima blushes seem to look a little darker after they've been on the skin a while? (especially the Pink) Not complaining about this at all, as most blushes tend to fade/disappear after a few hours. I may be just imagining this?
Metaphora
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I haven't noticed the blushes getting darker with wear but I have noticed they last a long time without fading ... all day for me ... which I love! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for a review!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
What is the general meaning of "antique rose" and "rose"? Does "rose" mean it has more warmth in it? And does antique mean that it is a more subdued rose? Confused

Metaphora wrote:
I have noticed they last a long time without fading ... all day for me ... which I love! Very Happy

Me too. They have amazing staying power! Smile

Metaphora- I will have to try the Aurora... it might be a good one for me to check out. What is your coloring like? (Fair, neutral/warm/cool, etc.)

After using the blushes for a little longer now I have realized that Sugar Rose is just too light for me (remember though, I tend to need an extra boost of color on my check or else I look too pale and sickly). It actually makes a good highlighter for me, believe it or not. I don't know if was meant on Alima's part, but the Tea Rose doesn't seem to be as glimmery as the others I am trying. Perhaps this is the case with more darkly pigmented shades... hmm but I don't know. In any case, I like it when it's not too glimmery (at least for day time wear).

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |