Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Dry Scalp--Help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I know this is about my scalp but thats part of your skin right? Anyways, its winter in Vermont and all of my skin is dry and itchy when exposed to the air. Getting back to my problem, my scalp is very dry and I have tons of dry skin and if I even attempt to comb or heavens forbid blowdry my hair, I have lots of flakies. It does not help that I have very dark brown hair and an absolutely white scalp. I am considering just covering my scalp with olive oil and leaving it on over night. Does anyone have ideas about hydrating scalp masks either DIY or actual brands etc? Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem living in the Windy City. Nioxin Scalp Therapy really helps and so does wearing a fur hat! I got mine in Moscow in the dollar store,when I was a graduate student on an exchange--a long time ago. But I hate wearing hats and the result, I figured out, is that kind of scalp problem which no regular conditioner will touch. Hope it helps you, too, as it is really annoying and hard to keep from picking at, right?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have this as a perpetual problem. I switched over to conditioner only washing and that helped but lately it has started getting really bad again. I slathered my hair and scalp in ojon and really massaged it in and left it over night. Good results, very few flakes for a couple of days and very little itching! I have tried Phillip Kingsley scalp tonic. That was good for one day and reduced the itching from normal, but not as good as the ojon. I used it with L'anza restructuring conditioner and Naked moisturising shampoo (sls free).

finally my L'anza scalp therapy 'poo arrived. It's been reformulated with some sls (boo hiss) but on day two, very few flakes and no itching! Yay! Lanza also do a scalp thing you use pre shampoo but I htought I'd try without first as MUA gave it some iffy reviews though the sample I had was quite good. I think I'll get some though.

I also have a kingsly scalp mask that I haven't tried yet. Planning on trying it next weekend so will review it then!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have dry skin too. Products I used that are helpful are: frederick fekkai glossing shampoo and conditioner, they are good for moisturizing hair and scalp. Selsun blue shampoo is good for getting rid of flakes.

Good luck Smile
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
thanks everyone. My local salon has the nioxin stuff so maybe I will try that. I will keep you updated if the olive oil thing works because I am going to try that tonight.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
definitely try the oils!!
if you have emu - even better!!

check out your shampoo ingredients, too.
those serious detergents could be the culprit.
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Got it...I have grapeseed oil is that any good?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Grapeseed is good. avocado oil is supposed to be amazing for really dry hair as well

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have avacado oil but I have avacados...do you think I could just mush one up with the olive oil to make a scalp/hair masque?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
yeah go for it! I have a friend who mashes avocados in her hair and she says it is great. I sometimes use a mayo hair masque. you can use either egg yolk and oil mixed or just straight from hte jar. Do not, DO NOT try and rinse with anything other that tepid water though!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Got it, I am using just olive oil this time, sleeping with it and maybe even working out this way and then I will rinse tomorrow morning or so. I will make sure I remember tepid. Thanks again guapagirl!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Ok so I tried to wash the olive oil out this morning and it wouldn't come out. What do I do? Luckily I didn't have to work today but I do tomorrow. Any ideas? I desperately need help because tomorrow night, I also have my college yearbook photo and right now my hair is truly oily.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:01 am      Reply with quote
j0g6345 wrote:
I have dry skin too. Products I used that are helpful are: frederick fekkai glossing shampoo and conditioner, they are good for moisturizing hair and scalp. Selsun blue shampoo is good for getting rid of flakes.

Good luck Smile

I like Frederick Fekkai's Glossing line, too. They really work on me. Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Scalpacin really helped my itchy head and flakes. I recently added liquid Beta Glucan into my shampoo per Kristen (skincareaddicted on this board) and it really works well. My scalp has not itched or flaked at all since I did this and my hair is really nice looking afterwards when dry.
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I think I am going to try using vinegar when washing my hair again tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

There is a new product that was just released by Ice Elements called the Ice Cap that is made for symptoms such as yours.

This is what it says in the newsletter about it:

Quote:
Ice Cap is a natural approach to treating itchy, dry and flaking scalp conditions. It is an Aloe Vera based formula which contains a synergistic complex of two botanicals; Manuka concentrate and Willow extract. Double enriched with salicylic compounds, along with other hydrators, this will help relieve itching and flaking scalp conditions while conditioning your hair. ALL IN ONE STEP!

Only $19.95

* Remember when using this product, a little goes a long way. Please use only a large nickel size for the entire scalp.

These are the ingredients:

Quote:
Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Zingiber officinale (ginger) root powder, propylene glycol, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, cetyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, lactic acid, polyquanternium-37, propylene glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Salicylic Acid, Leptospermone, Isoleptospermone, Flavesone, Salix Alba (willow) Bark Extract, Methylpropanediol, Polysorbate 80, Melaleuca Alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Mentha Piperita (peppermint) oil, Menthol, Carthamus Trinctorius (safflower) seed oil, Beeswax, Glycerin, Oleth-20, Oleth-10, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

If your interested in it, you can find it here:

http://iceelements.com

and they have free shipping to the US and CA this month, so it is a pretty good time to try something new.

I do hope that you are able to remedy the situation one way or another, and quickly!

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy,
Thanks, I will look into that. My only problem is that my scalp doesn't itch, its just flaky from the dry skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:
Hi!

There is a new product that was just released by Ice Elements called the Ice Cap that is made for symptoms such as yours.

Quote:
Ice Cap is a natural approach to treating itchy, dry and flaking scalp conditions. It is an Aloe Vera based formula which contains a synergistic complex of two botanicals; Manuka concentrate and Willow extract. Double enriched with salicylic compounds, along with other hydrators, this will help relieve itching and flaking scalp conditions while conditioning your hair. ALL IN ONE STEP!

Only $19.95

* Remember when using this product, a little goes a long way. Please use only a large nickel size for the entire scalp.

Quote:
Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Zingiber officinale (ginger) root powder, propylene glycol, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, cetyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, lactic acid, polyquanternium-37, propylene glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Salicylic Acid, Leptospermone, Isoleptospermone, Flavesone, Salix Alba (willow) Bark Extract, Methylpropanediol, Polysorbate 80, Melaleuca Alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Mentha Piperita (peppermint) oil, Menthol, Carthamus Trinctorius (safflower) seed oil, Beeswax, Glycerin, Oleth-20, Oleth-10, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

and they have free shipping to the US and CA this month, so it is a pretty good time to try something new.

I do hope that you are able to remedy the situation one way or another, and quickly!

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

but have you actually tried this for this kind of condition? I mean it's a bit like someone just saying try head and shoulders or T-gel.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like good stuff, but just regurgitating the promotional stuff doesn't actually inspire confidence in the product!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
gigiab6 wrote:
I think I am going to try using vinegar when washing my hair again tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

So sorry for just now reading your posts. I would have warned you not to leave olive oil on all night long. I did that one time, and it hardened up my hair. It stuck! It was fine when I left it on for just an hour. How weird, huh?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:53 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
gigiab6 wrote:

So sorry for just now reading your posts. I would have warned you not to leave olive oil on all night long. I did that one time, and it hardened up my hair. It stuck! It was fine when I left it on for just an hour. How weird, huh?

Ewww, sorry! I should have warned you to just apply to scalp as well and not the lengths! I use a cotton wool ball and then you don't have to use so much shampoo and undo all the good you did because if there is any left on the scalp a good brushing with a bristle brush distributes it down the length.

I think it's a good idea to cut your shampoo with ACV for general use anyway!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Haha, totally not a problem. I ended up using ACV, then conditioning and then washing and conditioning again and that seemed to get enough out so that it was manageable and I could blow dry. Lesson learned and my family and friends loved hearing about it. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I'm curious if this is kind of just aloe and aspirin.. (Isn't Willow Bark's main ingredient the same as aspirin?) Sounds easy to make/llike an aspirin mask if it is...
Or maybe there are other ingredients here that make a difference?

guapagirl wrote:
Bosoxy wrote:
Hi!

Quote:

Only $19.95

Quote:

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

but have you actually tried this for this kind of condition? I mean it's a bit like someone just saying try head and shoulders or T-gel.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like good stuff, but just regurgitating the promotional stuff doesn't actually inspire confidence in the product!
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:11 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Scalpacin really helped my itchy head and flakes. I recently added liquid Beta Glucan into my shampoo per Kristen (skincareaddicted on this board) and it really works well. My scalp has not itched or flaked at all since I did this and my hair is really nice looking afterwards when dry.

Where did you buy your liquid Beta Glucan??
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
jakee wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Where did you buy your liquid Beta Glucan??

co-ask!
skodalady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
gigiab6,
I live in Michigan (dry, cold air here as well). This winter, I tried straight up avocado oil on my hair. It is cooling and tingling to the scalp. I've never had a flaky scalp, but this felt like it was moisturizing to the scalp, and it was very good for my hair. Other than that I use the Ojon line, because it seems to be the most hydrating for my hair.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |