Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Common Sense
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Common Sense

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always around in my early years but less and less as time passed until today I read his obituary.
Obituary - Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion or a band-aid to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:57 am      Reply with quote
OMG!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I so needed to read this. I work in the school system and it is soooo true. We are teaching these children not take responsibility for anything. I don't understand how this is going to help these children be effective adults. They are actually hurting their kids. Worst of all it is teaching these kids how to use people to get their own way. I could go on and on with this, but I'll only get myself upset.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Thank You, doba! This will probably distress some of the younger parents but, back in the day, it was perfectly acceptable to discipline children in school and, yes, even to spank them on their well-cushioned backsides occasionally. My parents and qrandparents actually turned out pretty well because of this "attention-getting" mechanism. Actually, come to think of it, so did I. I got a "paddling" regularly in the 5th grade for chasing a brahma bull at recess.

Mom & Dad had a simple rule: Get spanked in school, get one when you get home. THEN, I'll ask you why you got spanked in school. (Smart enough not to tell my mom about the brahma bull-chasing until I was 19. LOL)

Seriously though, my parents were "big" on accepting responsibility and the consequences of your own actions. Everytime I see a 14-year old screaming at her mom in the mall (and her mom just taking it) I want to smack both of them--mom for not taking care of the problem when the daughter was 4 and the kid for disrespecting her mom! No, I'm not a violent person but I can just "see" this person at 30 and thinking that somebody somewhere owes her!

OMG! Sorry, climbing down from my soapbox now.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
My tag line fits in this topic kinda/sorta. It was created 7 years ago when my stepson decided to trade in a comfortable life for the devil (meth), and hasn't taken responsibility for his actions to this day. So many people live by the rule "it's not my fault". Or, "my parents are so stupid they surely will pick of the pieces and fix it for me". WRONG!!!!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Thank You, doba! This will probably distress some of the younger parents but, back in the day, it was perfectly acceptable to discipline children in school and, yes, even to spank them on their well-cushioned backsides occasionally. My parents and qrandparents actually turned out pretty well because of this "attention-getting" mechanism. Actually, come to think of it, so did I. I got a "paddling" regularly in the 5th grade for chasing a brahma bull at recess.

Mom & Dad had a simple rule: Get spanked in school, get one when you get home. THEN, I'll ask you why you got spanked in school. (Smart enough not to tell my mom about the brahma bull-chasing until I was 19. LOL)

Seriously though, my parents were "big" on accepting responsibility and the consequences of your own actions. Everytime I see a 14-year old screaming at her mom in the mall (and her mom just taking it) I want to smack both of them--mom for not taking care of the problem when the daughter was 4 and the kid for disrespecting her mom! No, I'm not a violent person but I can just "see" this person at 30 and thinking that somebody somewhere owes her!

Ari

Well said! It does start out when they are very young. If parents don't nip it in the bud early on; it can have disastrous consequences. I've always thought one of the cardinal rules of parenting is that you empower them when they are infants, but then you begin to depower them when they hit there terrible twos and begin to say no. Children need to know that they are children and parents need to know that they have a responsibility to teach their child how to grow into being a responsible adult. Giving them what they want and trying to make things easy for them all the time won't teach them that life is a give and take.(sigh) I think it's well too obvious that this is a topic I feel very strong about.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
doba wrote:
Common Sense

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always around in my early years but less and less as time passed until today I read his obituary.
Obituary - Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion or a band-aid to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown

learn a lot
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thankyou Doba for posting this. Sometimes I want to scream when I'm dealing with authorities because there is so much red tape and political correctness, it's crazy. Life could be so much easier if people were allowed to use their God given common sense. Trouble is everyone is scared of being sued or prosecuted so it goes on and on until NOTHING makes any sense anymore.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Makes me nuts when I see parents negotiating with toddlers.

And parents who will not enforce reasonable consistent discipline and guidance from the start, but think they can clamp down much later. Too late!
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

Ari

Go, Ari!! You're not on a soapbox...just making "common sense"! Wink I don't even have kids, but I feel the same way when I see a kid/teenager going off on their parent in public. Sure, I had my moments of mouthing off...but nothing like what I see today. And there is no WAY I could've gotten away with calling my mom "stupid" or telling her to "F--- off" like I see some of these kids do (one of my own nieces is a horror show in that respect).

Anyway...well said! And Doba, thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to share it with many family members and friends!

Mary Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Mary. My folks were strict but not abusive. But if I had ever talked back to either one of them, even in private much less publicly, I'd STILL be circling this earth like a balloon losing air!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, common sense. Not as common as we'd like to think, unfortunately.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
i miss common sense Sad never see it around nowadays
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Great read! Now only if everyone would use their common sense, the world would be a much better place to live.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:
Makes me nuts when I see parents negotiating with toddlers.

And parents who will not enforce reasonable consistent discipline and guidance from the start, but think they can clamp down much later. Too late!

OMG...too funny that you posted this! One of my nieces (mentioned her in the other post) was "negotiated with" from an early age. There was never a mandated "you WILL do this, because I say so" about ANYTHING. I'm not saying you have to rule with an iron fist 24/7...but at the end of the day, you're the parent and what you say goes (at least that's how it worked with me and my Mom!). My niece is now 13, and is selfish, mouthy, unappreciative and rude.

And like you said, Cedar...it's a hopeless case when the parents try to clamp down in later years. Whenever they try to get my niece to do something it falls on deaf ears...unless they bribe her with something she wants. She can't even take responsibility for keeping her room clean! But what do these whipped parents do? They hire one of those room organizer people to the tune of $5,000 to clean up and re-organize her bedrorom for her. They actually said with a straight face that my niece could not clean her room because she was so "overwhelmed" by how disorganized everything was, and she was too "intimidated" to begin tackling the mess all by herself. I can just see me back in the day, telling my mom that I was too emotionally fragile to clean my room. She would've laughed me right out of the house...and rightly so!! Laughing

Mary Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Thank you, Mary. My folks were strict but not abusive. But if I had ever talked back to either one of them, even in private much less publicly, I'd STILL be circling this earth like a balloon losing air!

"Circling the earth like a baloon losing air"...LMAO! Laughing Laughing What a great description! My parents were like yours...strict, but in no way abusive. In fact, I remember a few instances when I ventured forth with "back talk" that would be considered tame nowadays...and let's just say that the "circling baloon" thing definitely applied! Laughing

Mary Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
LMAO...I think I did circle the earth just once.....I ummmmm was the horrible 13 yr old, she finally had to squish like a bug!!! Now I am just perfect thanks to that moment...
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Amazing what an attitude adjustment will do, huh? When I look back.... Laughing

I remember once, when I was about 13, my dad told me to shut up 'cuz, boy, could I harangue when I got on a subject. I told him that I was guaranteed "free speech" under the constitution. Laughing Laughing Laughing He proceeded to inform me that, since I couldn't vote yet, I had no rights under the constitution.

He then said, "You know, before we had you, your mother and I really wanted children. (loooong pause) Young lady, your only job in this world right now is to be worth the wantin'."

I lost them only 10 weeks apart when I was just 28. I really miss them!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

I remember once, when I was about 13, my dad told me to shut up 'cuz, boy, could I harangue when I got on a subject. I told him that I was guaranteed "free speech" under the constitution. Laughing Laughing Laughing He proceeded to inform me that, since I couldn't vote yet, I had no rights under the constitution.

He then said, "You know, before we had you, your mother and I really wanted children. (loooong pause) Young lady, your only job in this world right now is to be worth the wantin'."

awww sry to hear that, I too lost mine a few months apart..its hard...its very very very hard. hugs dear
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear you lost your folks, too, Mel. It is hard.

Wow, I've now lived half my life without them.

If kids today could somehow be made to understand what that is going to feel like, I think they'd appreciate their parents more.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you lost your folks, too, Mel. It is hard.

Wow, I've now lived half my life without them.

If kids today could somehow be made to understand what that is going to feel like, I think they'd appreciate their parents more.

Ari and Mel...so sorry to hear about losing your parents. Crying or Very sad Thankfully, Dad is still alive and well (will be 70 this year!), but Mom passed away on Christmas day in 1999. I'm very glad for the time we had together, but I still do miss her! And you're right, Ari...it's so important to appreciate your parents while they are here.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

Oh my gosh, Ari, I have to say I laughed out loud when I read what your dad said to you. That was priceless.

I'm so sorry you lost them that young. That had to be terrible. ((Hugs))
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |