Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Retinol Sucks!!! USELESS! The bottom Line!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I should of known better, to stick to medicated, perscription products.

Retinol is very weak. After 1 week of applying Retin A, fine lines disapear!
After 1 week of applying retinol, fine lines are still there!
Hmmm....from now on, I'm only using perscription medicated products. No more weak over the counter, non working products that sound like they do.
If you want to get rid of Fine Lines, use Retin A, either perscribed by your doctor, or I believe it can be ordered. When I had my retin A perscription, fine lines were gone. I ran out of my perscription and ordered retinol, because I was told it was just as good. IT IS NOT!! Mad
Retinol maybe good if you are 20 years old with hardly any fine lines. Well if you have fine lines, and you actually want them gone, it will happen if you use RETIN A only. Funny because the 2 products can't even compare with eachother, I was suspicious when I recieved retinol and saw it was a liquid. Retin A is a heavy cream. These 2 substances are like apples and oranges, so I'm setting the record straight for anyone who actually needs to rid their face of fine lines, so they dont waste their energy, enthusiasm, and money. RETINOL SUCKS and Does not work for fine lines at all! Not sure what it's purpose is at all. Probably a cheap knock off of Retin A.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Any one who gets Retin A online, where do you get it from. I only got mine via perscription. If I can't buy it online, I'll go get another perscription.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I just ordered some on inhousepharmacy.com

They are out of stock on the .01%, but I just ordered the .050% and will just use it every night until I get the stronger one.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I believe once your skin adapted to the more potent version Retin A then minor form like RETINOL is not going to make a big difference to your skin. That's probably one of the reasons that I have postponed using any form of A acid yet.
SandraG, how long have you been using Retin A? What's your skin like if you discontinue use for a little while?
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
You are right and that is a great point. Probably exactley why. My skin is normal, and always has been. I used Retin A for about 1 year, and ran out about 1 year ago. The fine lines never came back, but I did continue very good skin care and laser treatments.
I just decided to use it again, because I have upcoming surgery and want to use anything that is effective again, and only the most effective substances. That's why I went with the retinol, thinking it was just as good as Retin A and ordered some.

While I used Retin A, the fine lines out by the side of my eyes, literally disapeared in about 2 weeks, and I notice improvement over night. It was so good actually, that I stopped using it because the fine lines went away, and only went with about 1 night a week aplication. I only ever used it around the eyes.
I miss it, and want to start using it again, and when I get my order, I will use it a lot at first to catch my eyes up to looking as good as they can, then I'll tone it down. I do get some flakes when I use it, but my moisturizer in the morning takes care of that.
I am just starting to notice that it's time to treat this area again. I dont have fine lines at the side of the eyes, but I want to make sure none even start at all. I dont mind using this 1-2 nights a week for the rest of my life. I had an eye lift 2 years ago, so I'm really in good shape there for 40, but I am more vigilant, as I've had the 50yrold look before, and am never going back there.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
JMHO, but I think it depends on the type/brand of OTC retinol product used. I've had great results with Retrinal. I've heard that it takes several months for OTC retinols to show progress. Green Cream worked well for me also, but the alcohol base irritated my skin terribly so I switched.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your experience Sandra. It does make me consider of using Retin A now - I have some under eye fine lines I really want to get rid of. I should do something before they become wrinkles.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
marci65
Well, I'm thinking maybe your fine lines were not bad at all if it worked. Plus waiting months for it to work, as oposed to a week. Honestly, at my age, who has months to wait to look good. Retinol is just weak, and maybe good if you are in your 20's. For serious fine lines, no way!

iaimei - I would start now. I found only 1 night a week, did it. That is not a lot of use. As you age, you can use it more if you need, but they will be gone! The retin A takes care of the fine lines, but what gets rid of wrinkles..only surgery. I mean, why keep them if you can get rid of them.

Just Know....retin A must NOT be used during the day! Only at bedtime!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
I purchased mine here. http://www.medsmex.com/store3/customer/
It's in Mexico, can't remember how long it took though to receive it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Sandra, do I understand correctly that you only used Retin A once a week to get results?

I am currently using Renova on a 1 day on followed by 2 days off basis, so it comes to 2-3 times a week to avoid irritation and not make my skin too sensitive to the sun. I started with daily applications of Retin A though for 3 months. It was too much irritation, however, the lines I saw starting to form are completely gone!
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo, that's a lot cheaper then the inhousepharmacy.
I paid $29 for same strength of 20mg tube.

I'll get it from here next time.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Does that mean I have to go to see a dermatologist in order to get a prescription?
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Monica34
It must not be used during the day at all!!
It can burn with the sun!!
Put it on at BEDTIME.

When I started using it, I used it about 3 nights a week. After about 1 month, all the lines were gone, so I only used it 1 night a week, and the lines never came back.

It is indeed very strong, but my doctor always said, just use it as you need it. If you start peeling, use it less. I did start to peel a little, so used it less. But after the lines disappeared, I thought well...what do I need it for now. (Even though I dont have fine lines, I want to use it 1 night a week again, just to keep them from ever coming back).
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
iaimei yes. Dermatoligist or general practitioner. I think anyone that can write a perscription. But, that link that was just posted, you can order it there.

Tretinoin is the killer ingredient. It was originally made for acne patients.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Sandra,

I know to only apply it at night - when I said every day I meant on a daily basis.

Thats great to hear it works well on a lower frequency to get great results like yourself. I feel confident since you say your doctor told you to watch for signs of too much flaking (and I assume irritation as well) and to reduce frequency as needed.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
I purchased mine here. http://www.medsmex.com/store3/customer/
It's in Mexico, can't remember how long it took though to receive it.

2nd that - it takes about three weeks
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Do you really want to purchase drugs from Mexico? I mean their MJ might be quite awesome, but didn't you see the South Park episode where they sent the whale into space? I mean, it was just.. well, pretty sad. Although it had nothing to do with drugs....

Seriously though, there is a post somewhere on this forum where someone got screwed by this company. Tube came in half full and opened.. Buyers beware.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Anybody that is going to purchase this thru a site that doesn't need a perscription and you have never used it before may I suggest that you start out at a low percentage like .01%. Tretinoin is strong.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Sandra, thanks so much for this info. I've been using Skinceuticals retinol .05% for almost l year, and really see no changes in my fine lines. I would like to try Retin A. What percentage should I start with? I'm 51 and like you said, if I can see an improvement in a matter of weeks instead of months, I'm all for it. I have no wrinkles, just a few fine lines around my eyes. Thanks.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Avene Retinaldehyde products have improved my skins 'texture' ie pores and does look nicer but it hasnt got rid of fine lines at all.

I dont know if my skin would tolerate retin a..maybe i could spot treat around eyes and top lip where there are a few fine lines??

Here in aus i think its only prescribed for acne etc but not sure?? I could order from that site but id be worried customs at my end would seize it Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
I really advise people who want to use prescription strength medication to be under the care of a doctor. Rx retinoid is very strong and is not for everyone. There are lots of different rx retinoid and a derm can help decide which one is good for your skin type.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
Once wrinkles form, it is difficult to get rid of them!
rebeccaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Debster1000 wrote:
Sandra, thanks so much for this info. I've been using Skinceuticals retinol .05% for almost l year, and really see no changes in my fine lines. I would like to try Retin A. What percentage should I start with? I'm 51 and like you said, if I can see an improvement in a matter of weeks instead of months, I'm all for it. I have no wrinkles, just a few fine lines around my eyes. Thanks.

You usually start w/ 0.05% Smile
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I agree with rebeccaj

And thoes who are saying it is very strong, well, yes it is. But if you need results for fine lines, well, that's kind of the point.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:08 am      Reply with quote
zumlya wrote:
Do you really want to purchase drugs from Mexico? I mean their MJ might be quite awesome, but didn't you see the South Park episode where they sent the whale into space? I mean, it was just.. well, pretty sad. Although it had nothing to do with drugs....

Seriously though, there is a post somewhere on this forum where someone got screwed by this company. Tube came in half full and opened.. Buyers beware.

you wouldn't buy from a country because they sent a whale into space in a south Park episode? Please tell me yoou are kidding Zumlya! Laughing

Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |