Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone just walked and left out of a job?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I've gotten to a point where I almost feel like just up and leaving. Some background info. Been here for a little over two years. The structure of this company is a joke, upper management are quite indecisive and their decisions are not the most efficient nor the best way of running a company. I'm a comptroller/financial analyst and foresee all the financial aspects of a company. Basically all the daily operations that affect the company's books. On top of that, there is a co-worker who's quite vicious and will maliciously try to blame others for any of her wrong doing.

It's hard to oversee the books of this company for many reason, for one they like to 'hide' things not just from me but from their CPA so some stuff seems to be a bit unethical. Secondly, they blow their money on trivial things and I swear I'm worth twice what they pay me. I know some are probably thinking just up and leave, but this is the job out of college and haven't been on the workforce that long and just finding another job in this kind of market isn't all that easy in the first place.

I feel as though I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I hate going to work every morning, thankfully I do like what I do, it's just that I don't like the place I'm doing it. So I know it's time for me to seek better pastures.

Sorry for the long rant, not sure where I was really going, but just drained and emotionally torn at the moment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I've felt like just walking out before, but never actually done it, so I'm probably not the most helpful person. But I'd start hunting far and wide for another job as it's usually far easier to get one whilst you're still working.

Even making the decision to look elsewhere and starting a new job hunt may give you the strength to carry on until you find something.

Hope everything works out for you and you find somewhere better soon, where you'll feel happier.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi ariesextreme - I have never actually done this, but right now I think about it most days Sad . Just wanted you to know you're not alone in feeling this way.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I have more than once! Embarassed I say start looking for a new job asap, when its time to leave you will know.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
I did once. Got yelled at and threatened over something a co-worker did. Boss knew it but couldn't yell at her and felt he could get off his chest and that I'd be okay with it. I wasn't. He and I were in another city. That night I flew home. Next day (Saturday) went in to the office, wrote up my resignation, my trip report etc., took everything to my boss's office, transmitted the resignation 3 levels up and left. It was rough financially for a couple of months but I've never been sorry.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
The only reason why I've stayed is I'm starting up my own business, so for me to leave just to quit at another place doesn't seem to be fair to them. So frustrating!

It is more of the financial struggle I'm worried about.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
The only reason why I've stayed is I'm starting up my own business, so for me to leave just to quit at another place doesn't seem to be fair to them. So frustrating!

It is more of the financial struggle I'm worried about.

People quit all the time, I wouldnt worry about that. If you are that unhappy it might be better to find a new job even if you are only there for a short while. Just MHO.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:12 am      Reply with quote
My recommendation is to NEVER just walk out if at all possible - don't burn bridges. You say you are starting you own business, well my advise would be to do your current job and keep your eye on the prize - that new business. BTW, I wish you much success with your new business.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Another thought - what about giving notice and getting a contract job.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
My recommendation is to NEVER just walk out if at all possible - don't burn bridges. You say you are starting you own business, well my advise would be to do your current job and keep your eye on the prize - that new business. BTW, I wish you much success with your new business.

Don't think I'd ever just walk out, but I told my boss this morning that I'm this close to giving him my 2 week notice. I wait tables in the meantime if I had to.

I've never quit nor had to switch jobs so it's all new and scary to me. I've never been without a paycheck.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
No I have never quit like that either but there have been many times lately I have wanted to.

Just grit your teeth & think of it as a short bumpy road on your journey to where really want to be.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:

Don't think I'd ever just walk out, but I told my boss this morning that I'm this close to giving him my 2 week notice. I wait tables in the meantime if I had to.

I've never quit nor had to switch jobs so it's all new and scary to me. I've never been without a paycheck.

Waiting tables isnt that bad if its not a life long thing, its good quick money. My bestfriend waits tables at a fairly nice sushi place, she pulls in 180-250 for a 5 hour shift. Not bad at all...

Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme, I'm right there with you...Different setting, different job description, same crap... I don't have an answer either.

Good luck in your business venture.
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Unless you feel absolutely forced to just walk out (as I once did after a rather heated discussion with my supervisor who did not want to accept my 2 week's notice and threatened to have me fired), stick it out. But in the meantime, do start looking for something else. Somebody somewhere will see the potential in you and pay you what you're worth!

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the support girls. It's just so damn frustrating because it'll take time to bring in a revenue stream in which I could live off of so in the meantime I need another cash flow coming in.

I don't mind sticking it out, but when does too much just get to be too much?

Agent-sorry you're going through the same ordeal.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme, try getting a contract position for a bit. You don't get caught up in all of the company/office "garbage" nearly as much. You just go do what you do and go home.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry you're going throught this Ariesextreme. I do have a friend who got up & quit. She was a parallegal for a very verbally abusive attorney. She's only worked for him for three months & he yelled at her with very foul language in front of clients.She juust respectfully said,"Thank you. I'm done." He called to beg her back & she wouldn't go. Fortunately, she had her husbands income & found a new job within the month. Good luck with your situation! Coleen

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
ariesxtreme, try getting a contract position for a bit. You don't get caught up in all of the company/office "garbage" nearly as much. You just go do what you do and go home.

I would, not sure how many contract positions there really are in my field.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Contact some recruiters. If I remember correctly you are a comptroller. What city do you live in?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Chicago...ugh I hate recruiters.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Aries, I feel your pain, sister! I'm in a job right now where I feel like just quietly grabbing my purse and walking out the door! I, too, am not being paid what I am worth, so what I've done is posted my resume on Monster.com and have been contacted by a bunch of recruiters. I'm sure it will only be a matter of weeks until I get a new job, but that's because I have tons of experience at what I do (paralegal in a law firm).

Unfortunately for you, and we've all been through this, because you are so young and don't have a ton of working experience in your profession, you have found yourself in a position of "paying your dues." Everyone I know has had *that* job, sometimes many of them in a row, until they gained a good, solid work history. I worked for 3-1/2 years in a law firm, my first one, and I wanted to leave 1,000 times but held off because I just wanted to get the most number of years under my belt so I could continue in the field. It was a horrible job working for a husband and wife team of attorneys (I will NEVER do that again!) who fought constantly, and was the one job that I did actually get up, take my things and seriously burned rubber out of their parking lot. Super long story, but one of their employees tried to assault me and they refused to do anything about it, so I called an attorney friend of mine (who could hear the screaming of that crazy banshee in the background) and he said "Get in your car now and LEAVE!"

Anyhow, back to you ... if I were you, I'd contact recruiters/employment agencies and tell them your work experience, education level, etc., and let them tell you what you are worth on the market (though, as a financial analyst, you probably already have that figured out!). Trust me, recruiters are chomping at the bit to get positions for good people because they get a hefty fee for it. I have several agencies practically pounding down my door to place me because they know they can make a lot of money off me.

You might also consider, as the other girls have said, doing temp or contract work, but there are rarely benefits (i.e., medical, dental, 401(k), etc.) if you take such a position, though sometimes you can find an agency that will pay its temp employees benefits if they can keep you working. That might be a good thing for you, because if you can go from job to job, you will gain contacts in your field and can possible approach them later when you start your own business. Just be aware of "job hopping" - if you work for a recruiter/employment agency for 2 years and work at 10 jobs, that's OK, but if you on your own work at 10 jobs in 2 years, that's going to look flakey to a potential employer. Working that many jobs in a short time for a recruiter may actually be a benefit to you if you can tell a potential new employer that you've gained a ton of experience and been able to "sample" a variety of business environments, etc.

As majorb said, its always easier to find a job when you have one. I don't know why that is, there's got to be some psychology behind it. It would seem to me that a place would rather hire someone who was not working and could start right away, but they must have some sort of psychological need to "steal away" an employee from a current position. Whatever the reason, its one of life's little truths.

Hang in there, and let us know what you do. In closing, I would highly recommend AGAINST just up and leaving, unless you are being physically attacked!
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
You shouldn't have a problem in Chicago. Find out who the BEST recruiters in your area are. Choose the top 2 or 3 max. That should be enough. Just bite the bullet and do it. Maybe take one day off and go see all of them and then it's over with.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you girls for the words of encouragement and any advice that has been given. I haven't been on the job market recently and am wondering how it's looking out there?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I know it's pretty good in Dallas. This is a good time of year to start looking.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Ariesextreme - I think it is great that you were able to find a place to vent here at EDS --- I think that having an "outlet" is key to giving you the strength to endure the hellishness that is a destructive workplace. You sound very frustrated and fed up yet you also seem really logical, measured and balanced. Try not to get to emotionally involved with what you are doing...try to think of it as a "paycheck" and get your job search "feelers" out there in full force. While the temptation to drop and run is great, I think you'll better serve yourself by doing everything you can to NOT let them get to you...and to pay an equal amount of attention to getting the h#ll out of there. The workplace is a total jungle, isn't it? You never know who you are going to "run into" again in your professional life so play your cards carefully..Again, you sound really grounded...try to leave quickly and gracefully -- and try not to discourage the opportunity to use past workmates/boss for job reference purposes...The only time I'd say, "walk out" would be if you were being sexually or emotionally harrassed OR if you really felt that staying on would somehow jeopardize your health!
Hang tough and get out as soon as you can!
Good luck!
pudoodles
System
Automatic Message
Wed May 15, 2024 2:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Vie Collection Mela White Radiance Brightening Essence (150 ml / 5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |