Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
What to do when you don't want to apply mascara?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Mascara to me is a bit of a hassle, each time I wear mascara I have to wipe, swipe and comb and sometimes I'm just too lazy to do that.

However I like playing with eyeshadows and most of you probably experience this as well, but most of the time the powder gets on to your lashes and it's obvious. Even when I don't apply e/s I always do a swipe of my MMU over my eyes to even out my skintone around that area and because I don't wear concealer under my eyes, this does the trick for me. But everytime my lashes look powdered and it's hard to get it to look black again without mascara.

I've tried wiping it with my fingers (both wet and dry) but sometimes the powder adheres to my lashes too well or that I'd have to use so much water that I get rid of all the makeup around my eyes as well.

So any tips on how to solve this problem without resorting to mascara?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi SMM, I don't like to apply mascara either. I always look freaky b/c my lashes aren't long enough, and I got lots of clumps and smudges. Plus I can't cry when I wear mascara. Anyway I have just been putting on Ardell. I then put Peter Lamas's Lash Masque on top, but I only do that b/c I already bought the thing. I would not recommend it since it smears big time. It is supposed to be more gentle on your lashes than mascara. Don't get me started on Peter Lamas stuff. It sucks so bad. I want to just throw it at a barking dog.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes when I don't wear mascara, but wear e/s my lashes don't seem to stand out due to dark e/s colors. I just swipe a very tiny coat of vaseline on my eyelashes with my fingers. It seems to get rid of the e/s powder on my eyelashes, make them glossy and look darker.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
ok, I feel so stupid now, thanks for reminding me about vaseline! I have some rosebud salve or any kind of pomade type product would probably work way better than water. Gonna try this next time thanks lynn!

bkkgirl - Ardell doens't work for me (because I apply in swiping motions underneath and the powder is on top of the lashes if that makes sense) + having powder on my lashes OR eye makeup really tends to contaminate the brush head and then the whole tube of Ardell when you put the brush back in. That's why I didn't want to use this type of product for the prob.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't use Rosebud Salve personally as it's got fragrance in it unless your eyes aren't very sensitive. As for pomade, wouldn't it be too waxy? I've tried using Burt's Bees lip balm on my eyelashes before as I didn't have any vaseline on hand at the time, but my eyelashes wouldn't stay curled. I find vaseline is the best, but do apply only a very thin layer and try not to let it smear onto your lids. I find using a spoolie rather helpful. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I tried applying vaseline on my lashes and found it was hard to keep it from getting in to my eyes, and then I went blind (well, not quite, but just the feeling of something was inside my eyes).

SMM - maybe you need to wash the Ardell wand with hot water and anti-bacterial soap before you put it back in to the tube. Are you otherwise allergic to the stuff?
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl: I never thought of washing it but I'm too lazy to wash the wand every single time I use it on "powdered" lashes, and plus if I was gonna do that I probably could've used that time to put on mascara! My eyes aren't sensitive at all and I have been doing the Ardell thing but I noticed my tube has a lot of muck in it which is pretty disgusting regardless of whether you have sensitive eyes or not. So I don't think it's really that hygienic unless you really wash the wand as you suggest.

lynn: I never thought about the whole fragrance thing - I just have the rosebud salve on hand instead of vaseline and I just thought that what works is probably the petroleum. I was thinking of pomade because it might condition my lashes so I get even more benefits, and particularly I was thinking abt my JM hair pomade which is in no way heavy at all. But I'm not worried since my asian lashes would never curl naturally either way, I just at least want them to be black so I look like I do have a few lashes.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
If you don't mind the heaviness of pomade, I don't see why it won't work just as well. The trick is definitely worth trying. Let me know how it goes Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:05 am      Reply with quote
I use the Talika eyelash gel.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I use ardell, it's transparent... but will make my eye lash looks fuller a bit!
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
I seldom wear mascara, mostly only for formal night events. But I hardly get the powder on eyelash problem. Perhaps it's because I use pressed powder eyeshadows and I just use my fingers to apply and blend?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:12 am      Reply with quote
I don't wear mascara now that I've found 1000Hour Lashes. For conditioning I brush some amla oil on brows and lashes with a spoolie brush.

http://garrysun.com/amlaoil.html
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
When I am on the go, I do not like to put on mascara either. I usually put on my e/s, then I use an eyelash curler to give me a "wide-eyed" look. Then I take an eyelash brush, one with a lot of bristles and brush my eyelashes a few times. I do this to my bottom lashes too (sometimes I use one with little bristles), because I always get my MMU concealer on the lower lashes. I use LORAC Brush 111 and or any of Vincent Longo's Lash Brushes (I use Lash Definer for my lowers)---all from Sephora.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
When I don't want to wear mascara I put on Ardell to give them a bit of non-clumpy definition (since regular clear mascaras can't offer that) and curl them up a bit. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolat wrote:
I don't wear mascara now that I've found 1000Hour Lashes. For conditioning I brush some amla oil on brows and lashes with a spoolie brush.

Adding some oils is a very smart idea. Thanks for the tips!
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolat wrote:

The idea is great!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
hey I will try this tomorrow!
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Mascara to me is a bit of a hassle, each time I wear mascara I have to wipe, swipe and comb and sometimes I'm just too lazy to do that.

Could it be that you are using the wrong mascara? I wear mascara every day (my eyes would look like rabbit eyes without it), and I never have to "wipe, swipe and comb." I have tried every brand out there, from every duty-free shop around the world, as well as Sephora, and I am currently into the new synthetic wands by Cover Girl, like "Lash Exact", and "Volume Exact." The new brushes leave you with nice long lashes, and no need to ever wipe, blot, whatever. I wear this mascara when i'm working 12 hr flights, and it never runs or flakes.

Good luck!

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
my wipe swipe and comb means wiping the mascara with kleenex because sometimes too much comes out. swiping it over my lashes and at last combing to have perfectly define lashes and to get rid of any potential clumps. I don't have problems with smudging or running or anything like that, mascara to me is just a hassle.
I'm using fatale and combing afterwards is a must and I like it because it's really black and SLIGHTLY curls my lashes without a curler (which NO mascara is able to do because most ends up weighing them down). I don't want to use mascara for just color and for it to do nothing else, but to use the mascaras that give me oomph I have to add a bit of work. And I think I'd have to wipe down ANY mascara with a kleenex because the very tip of the brush usually ends up with a blob of mascara which gets in the way when I do my lashes near the inner corner of my eye.

Generally no mascara ever does anything for me without curling since I don't care that much about length and I've gotten more volume after using Ardell. So generally mascara is a tedious feat to me unless I have a lot of time on my hands.
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
my wipe swipe and comb means wiping the mascara with kleenex because sometimes too much comes out... swiping it over my lashes and at last combing to have perfectly define lashes and to get rid of any potential clumps...combing afterwards is a must; (...) to use the mascaras that give me oomph I have to add a bit of work.
And I think I'd have to wipe down ANY mascara with a kleenex because the very tip of the brush usually ends up with a blob of mascara which gets in the way when I do my lashes near the inner corner of my eye.

Oh dear. That does sound like a lot of work. I wouldn't wear it either if i had to do all of that. After reading many posts on mascara on this forum, it seems that most mascara users curl their lashes beforehand, but the work stops there once the mascara goes on, which is why I thought switching brands, or perhaps opening a brand new tube more often, would be the answer.

I dunno, but none of this ever happens to me. Like, none of it!? I don't need to comb my lashes afterward, wipe off excess from the wand with a kleenex, or blot anything. Mascaras have indeed come a long way in recent years, for example the curling effect you mentionned, plus lengthening, volumizing, easy to remove, etc.

You would obviously be a good candidate for 1000 Lash tint. Maybe give that a go. I would love to try it myself, but i can't find it in Canada, and I looked in a few Walgreens in the States, and they didn't have it. If any forum members reading this are willing to pick up a kit for me, I'd love that Very Happy Very Happy

Knowing me, i would still slather my lengthening mascara over it....

Good luck

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I do use the lash tint! I really like it but if you read my first post the problem is when powder adheres to my lashes! But I'm going to try the oil/pomade thing.

I used to use lancome's mascaras and I never had to do all that either but then I don't ever see a difference when I wear/not wear mascara so I don't see the point. I use fatale and the wiping and combing is just a must with that wet mascara but I like it. Planning to try Chanel's inmitable next with the synthetic brush! Curling actually gives me 2 extra steps because EVERY mascara weighs my curls down so I HAVE to prime with a base. All because of my stick down asian lashes. Hopefully when I get to try CK's lush lash I won't have this problem anymore.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:27 am      Reply with quote
This is kind of a variation on the suggestion of using Burt's Bees lip balm in place of mascara. I've done the same thing but with Burt's Res-Q ointment instead of the lip balm. The advantages are that it's a little softer (i.e., easier to apply) and it's dark green, which I think adds a little darkness to my lashes.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
What I do is coat a Q-tip with aloe vera gel. One swipe is enough to remove any powder residue plus moisturize my lashes. If the powder is hard to remove with one q-tip, I use two to clamp my lashes from above and under.
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
this sounds interesting! i have got bad sinus and hence there are days i simply cant wear mascara. because my eyes gets teary and too sensitive. i will try these method to remove the powder from eyeshadow on my lid. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Ok to all of you who put oil/aloe vera or whatever you do on your lashes - does it not ruin your eyemakeup (the part near your lash line?). That's been happening to me because I use my fingers, but I can imagine it happening even with a Qtip. Anyways, so far I've found that Carekate's Lash gloss works wonders for the problem (way better than Ardell as Ardell NEVER got rid of the powder plus gets contaminated).
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |