Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
I found my HG sunscreen!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
So I've tried alot of different sunscreens but all have made my face super oily...I've tried Neutrogena, City block by Clinique, various moisturizers with spf 15 like Joey New York, etc. (not enough spf in my opinion).

Then I was all set to purchase the Sofina Nuance up, but they want a paypal account (which I don't do anymore because I was scammed and because the seller didn't have any money in her paypal account (she cleared it out as soon as my payment was sent to her), I lost my money) or to send a check to HK. Neither one seemed like a good option. So I was at a loss.
So I went to dermstore.com (a great site I buy what EDS won't ship to the US) and began reading reviews on sunscreen and I came across Solbar Zinc spf 38. It has what's known as z-cote, or transparent zinc oxide. It doesn't clog my pores (even though it says non-comedogenic, sometimes I'm skeptical) AND UVA and UVB protection. The best thing...it soaks in quickly and I WAS NOT GREASY AT ALL. Amazing! I know people who use this for hiking and climbing and love it. I never thought I could use it everyday under my Everyday Minerals (which also has SPF so I'm extra protected.

The best part? It's only 13 USD for a tube that will last me a long time!!!!! I didn't have to spend oodles and oodles of money for a sunscreen that works, is non-greasy, and a high spf (38! Not just 15!)
I figured I'm not out that much money, and I can always use it on the rest of my body if it didn't work for my face, but I'm ssooooo pleased. And now I'm not worried about sun damage...wearing MMU is not enough I feel.

Almost forgot...it's water resistant (package says up to 80 minutes in the water) so even if I sweat by walking around campus all day, it stays put.

Anyway...give it a whirl...like I said, if it doesn't work for you, you can always use it on the rest of your body (you can't beat the high spf!).

My Bobbi Brown SPF 30 and PSF spf 30 are now used on my body (in particular my tattoos that are exposed to the hot Arizona sun down here). Too greasy for the face (or at least an oily face like mine!)

At any rate, I'm so excited. I thought I was destined to deal with greasies in order to protect my face from the hot hot sun! I high recommened this sunscreen for those that are uber oily like moi.

In addition, if you are looking for a fabulous body sunscreen...I highly recommend Blue Lizard suncream. I wore it for 8 hours while at the bottom of the Grand Canyon two weeks ago and DID NOT BURN.
You can also get this from dermstore.com

hugs!

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
It's such a good feeling finding the right product. Especially sunscreen. Smile

I'm in Australia and I've recently discovered Sun Sense SPF30 in the matte formula. It is really good so far (have only used it for a week). It actually seems to control the oils in my t-zone and it's got UVA/UVB protection. Yay!
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
good to hear.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
How wonderful. Thanks for the review.
Zanamer
5% products discount

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Nice to know. My skin is also very oily and I have the the same problem - trying to find sunscreen without the shine. I've been thinking about switching to a powder, like Colorescience Sunforgettable SPF 30, but at that price, I might give the Solbar a try first.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
I read in a magazine (can't remember which one) that Solbar sunscreen was picked as a winner for fair skins. I'm glad it works for you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Does ir leave a white cast?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
No...no cast at all. It blends into the skin very well.
That's where the transparent zinc oxide comes in...it won't leave you looking all ghosty!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ParisTroika,

Thanks for the review, i looked at the dermstore reviews for solbar zinc, and the customer reviews are equally awesome.

Is the sunscreen more like a cream or a milk? I am currently using blue lizard for my arms but it takes some effort to apply to the skin beause it is a rather thick cream, it works really well, but on those lazy days of mine, it just won't cut it. I might buy this for my arms after my blue lizard runs out, but i am so in love with the sofina for my face, i can't change just yet Smile .

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
No...no cast at all. It blends into the skin very well.
That's where the transparent zinc oxide comes in...it won't leave you looking all ghosty!

Thank you.

I used Megan gale's Zinc Cream and that's why I'm wary as I looked very white.
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, I am definately going to try it out!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi ParisTroika,

Thanks for the review, i looked at the dermstore reviews for solbar zinc, and the customer reviews are equally awesome.

Is the sunscreen more like a cream or a milk? I am currently using blue lizard for my arms but it takes some effort to apply to the skin beause it is a rather thick cream, it works really well, but on those lazy days of mine, it just won't cut it. I might buy this for my arms after my blue lizard runs out, but i am so in love with the sofina for my face, i can't change just yet Smile .

It's much easier to rub in than the Blue Lizard!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Can we buy Solbar from EDS internet? I would like to have a try..
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:14 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

It *shouldn't*, but I'm afraid despite what they say it does show on some warmer skin tones. Things that use z-cote make me a bit ghostly, though not as ghoulish as the non-transparent ones.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika,

I ordered this based on your review, are you still loving it? Mine should be here today and I cant wait to finally find a sunblock that wont leave me greasy. *fingers crossed!*
Moozie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info and review...I may have to check it out.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! I'll have to put this one on my list to try next (after my DHC White Sunscreen gets here)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I just got this a few days ago and am loving it so far.. I only use it on my body though and it doesn't aggravate my eczema. Smile
babybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I am presently loving my Sofina sunscreen, but am open to trying another at such a great price!
ade
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thank for this info.
Would this product make the skin feel dry?
Sofina made my skin too dry like coming to desert last year:(
but it's really too oily to use the other products. It's so hard to choose Confused
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
ade wrote:
Thank for this info.
Would this product make the skin feel dry?
Sofina made my skin too dry like coming to desert last year:(
but it's really too oily to use the other products. It's so hard to choose Confused

I don't think Solbar would make you feel dry. I still use this stuff. I've been doing archaeological field work out in the desert sun of AZ and I use this on my face. No breakouts...wonderful!

I'm about to order more after my next trip upstate!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Hey Paris - do you by chance know the PPD of this s/s? TIA Smile

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! It sounds like a great product.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
Hey Paris - do you by chance know the PPD of this s/s? TIA Smile

I don't, actually. They don't print the PPD rating on the tube. I'm wondering how you could find out...because now I want to know! hmm

5% products discount

Sat May 26, 2007 1:31 am      Reply with quote
Interesting review!
Hope to try someday.
Thank you Paris Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |