Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Going to Paris - what to wear???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
MakeupDiva
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I am planning to go to Paris next month and I am trying to figure out what to pack! Does anyone know what's popular right now? Also, should I go for practical and comfortable shoes, or should I just suffer and wear my stylish shoes? Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
The streets of Paris are very hard on your feet, so I'd definitely bring some comfortable shoes with you. I usually wear smart, but comfortable (ie small-heeled) ankle boots under trousers for such trips. Also take some heels so you can look fabulous when you go out at night.

The French tend to be more conservative dressers, I feel. A smart three-quarter length coat can really lift your outfit and is practical too. I never ever wear jeans or sandshoes (sneakers) in Paris - it was very much frowned upon when I lived in France, but things may have changed since then. I still can't bring myself to break the habit, though!
MakeupDiva
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
This helps! It also tells me I need to go shoe shopping. Smile Any excuse. LOL Cool
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
MakeupDiva wrote:
Also, should I go for practical and comfortable shoes, or should I just suffer and wear my stylish shoes? Smile

I say bring a pair of both and then leave room for any new shoe purchases. You can't shop if you're in pain. LOL Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am soooo jealous Exclamation You'll need a light jacket (I wore a cashmere poncho when I went 2 yrs ago).

The thing that I noticed is that everyone was in dark, somber colors like black and navy. I stood out like a sore thumbe as a tourist b/c I like color Confused
Cesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
When I went, I took clothes that I *thought* were quite dressy but suitable for walking round the city. I was wrong: they all wore jeans or linen pants: very casual, but with great accessories. I was completely overdressed and not in a good way.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Oh so envy you Cesce. I want to go again - such a beatiful city. If you big on LV, its about at least 15% cheaper than here.
sbparadis
5% products discount

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I usually go in the spring/summer but i can tell you-

jeans are fine- but nice dark ones- not ratty wrinkly ones. My Paris friends iron their jeans.

add a good white blouse and smart jacket.

a big yes to scarves- and for the last few years worn a very particular way- not wrapped around and around the neck-
fold a long scarf in half lengthwise. drape it behind your neck with the ends in front. pull the side with 2 ends through the side with the loop and tighten- with the two ends hanging down in the front. et voila! vous etes une belle Parisienne- et tres chic, bien sur.

do not under any circumstance waste any packing space on uncomfortable shoes, no matter how pretty. They will never make it out of the suitcase. After the first day your feet will be so tired and sore that you won't be able to wear them anyway. Paris is all about walking, which is great since that means you can eat whatever you want. I usually lose a bit of weight in Paris and I eat cheese and pain au chocolate and creme brulee and steak frites and profiteroles every day. at night I put on a fabulous long sweeping black skirt and soft leather ballet flats and walk, walk walk to dinner. C'est tout.

I would tend to wear the same very good quality black cashmere whatever every day rather than a selection of so-so things. Pack lightly, keep it simple and yes- dark colors and neutrals, and good accessories. Don't worry about jewelery- good costume stuff that is understated is all you really need.

Also- go to the pharmacy! they sell lots of stuff there that you have to get from a dermatologist here. The pharmacists are very helpful and most speak English. last year Avene Diacneal or Ysthene were selling for around 12 euros a tube.

Remember to always say "bonjour" when you enter a small shop or boutique- it's polite in France to say hello and goodbye on entering and leaving. they will appreciate the gesture.

Do NOT miss the food hall at the Bon Marche.

My favorite museum is the Jacquemart-Andre. Don't miss it- and have tea and a pastry in the tearoom there.

The Carnevalet is another wonderful museum- all about the history of Paris- just fascinating.

Eat falafel in the Marais. yummy.

Find out which night the Louvre is open late- (I think it's wednesday)- and go then- the crowds are way down and you'll have a much better experience with Mona- who is really ravishing in person.

good lord- I'm getting carried away here!

Have fun!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
I am soooo jealous Exclamation You'll need a light jacket (I wore a cashmere poncho when I went 2 yrs ago).

The thing that I noticed is that everyone was in dark, somber colors like black and navy. I stood out like a sore thumbe as a tourist b/c I like color Confused

I traditionally think of Parisians wearing dark colors. Do you think that's the case in the spring too? I am all for slimming colors, so I can handle wearing dark clothing. Smile
MakeupDiva
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
sbparadis wrote:
I usually go in the spring/summer but i can tell you-

jeans are fine- but nice dark ones- not ratty wrinkly ones. My Paris friends iron their jeans.

add a good white blouse and smart jacket.

a big yes to scarves- and for the last few years worn a very particular way- not wrapped around and around the neck-
fold a long scarf in half lengthwise. drape it behind your neck with the ends in front. pull the side with 2 ends through the side with the loop and tighten- with the two ends hanging down in the front. et voila! vous etes une belle Parisienne- et tres chic, bien sur.

do not under any circumstance waste any packing space on uncomfortable shoes, no matter how pretty. They will never make it out of the suitcase. After the first day your feet will be so tired and sore that you won't be able to wear them anyway. Paris is all about walking, which is great since that means you can eat whatever you want. I usually lose a bit of weight in Paris and I eat cheese and pain au chocolate and creme brulee and steak frites and profiteroles every day. at night I put on a fabulous long sweeping black skirt and soft leather ballet flats and walk, walk walk to dinner. C'est tout.

I would tend to wear the same very good quality black cashmere whatever every day rather than a selection of so-so things. Pack lightly, keep it simple and yes- dark colors and neutrals, and good accessories. Don't worry about jewelery- good costume stuff that is understated is all you really need.

Also- go to the pharmacy! they sell lots of stuff there that you have to get from a dermatologist here. The pharmacists are very helpful and most speak English. last year Avene Diacneal or Ysthene were selling for around 12 euros a tube.

Remember to always say "bonjour" when you enter a small shop or boutique- it's polite in France to say hello and goodbye on entering and leaving. they will appreciate the gesture.

Do NOT miss the food hall at the Bon Marche.

My favorite museum is the Jacquemart-Andre. Don't miss it- and have tea and a pastry in the tearoom there.

The Carnevalet is another wonderful museum- all about the history of Paris- just fascinating.

Eat falafel in the Marais. yummy.

Find out which night the Louvre is open late- (I think it's wednesday)- and go then- the crowds are way down and you'll have a much better experience with Mona- who is really ravishing in person.

good lord- I'm getting carried away here!

Have fun!

Wow! Sounds like you have done this a few times! I think I am going to have to print this list of suggestions and bring it with me.

I was thinking about buying a cute, comfortable pair of ballet flats. I thought that they might be easy to walk in and much better for my feet than my usual 3" heals. Smile
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Smart casual with comfy shoes..in the touristy areas you can get away with anything really. Not as edgy as London fashion I might add but if you are going out to an expensive place etc fine fabrics are more important than the cut. In terms of shoes unless you are going to take cabs everywhere and have some chic events to go to,I would say ...ummhmnn how can I say this politely? wear your rattiest boots to step over all the cr*p all over the streets. I have never been to a city in europe with dirtier streets from bird doo, dog doo etc even in the posh bits. I have been going there for years and it has not changed. Enjoy!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |