Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

URGENT! PLEASE HELP THESE CATS in Georgia!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I know this isn't skincare related, but I received two bulletins via e-mail today, and was nearly sickened to learn that these poor babies have until Wednesday, March 28Th. Sad

If you live within the state of Georgia, surrounding states, or know anyone who could help, I beg of you to help Casper & I help these sweeties!

It's bad enough that they are destined to be euthenized, but the method of euthenizing is absolutely horrific. My heart is breaking thinking of this.

Spalding County Animal Control
http://www.spaldingcountyanimalshelter.com/
Phone:
(770) 467-4772
Address:
Spalding County Animal Control
208 Justice Boulevard
Griffin, GA 30224

Ironic that the shelter is on "Justice" Blvd. Quite frankly, there is NO "justice" whatsoever for the cats & dogs at their shelter. Crying or Very sad

joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a huge animal lover but can not take in any more strays or rescues. I can donate some, but these cats need a permanent safe home. Is there foster care in the area?

I would contact Best Friends (www.bestfriends.org). They are an amazing organization in Utah, who have a network of people who can act as foster "parents". In many cases they will take the animals to Utah to save them if no local animal lovers can take them in.

Casper I know you can not get your little paws on the computer keys so tell mum to email Best Friends.

Gilbert, Mikey and Andy are trying to break into mom's Paypal account right now.

Let's all help!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Casper's Mum, thank you for posting this! I haven't been able to stop crying since I saw this, but I'm very grateful for the chance to help. I know we can't save all the kitties out there, but we have to do what we can and every little bit helps, right? I'm going to send these people some money ASAP. Like Joanie said, let's all help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Casper's Mum - Thanks for publicising and bring to our attention this excellent cause.

I've just taken a look at the Spalding County Animal Shelter's website. The blurb makes it sound as though they're full of heart - but then you see the "Last Chance" section, which is , quite frankly, pure emotional blackmail. Certainly not reflecting the caring organisation they make themselves out to be.

The RSPCA over here have the same policy, where animals are put to sleep (although by injection, not gassed) after a certain amount of time.

I do hope this Winging Cats campaign works. Now they DO sound like an organisation which really does care about animals. Such a shame it's necessary for them to do this, though, because of Spalding County's cruel policy.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:55 am      Reply with quote
The gas chamber may sound horrific, but it's no more traumatic than an injection. My 18 old cat had to be put to sleep 5 years ago, and it took the vet 3 goes to find a vein. That was fun!!! The only reason we think it is horrific is that sounds barbaric.

I used to work part time at a vet practice. Although most of the time an injection was used, if the vet had several strays to be put down at once, he used the gas. It is the same anaesthetic used on people in operations. The only difference is the amount. Quick, painless, and the animal doesn't have to be pulled out of a cage by the scruff of its neck and held down while someone sticks a needle in it. The whole reason for the inflammatory language is to catch your attention. People may adopt or donate because this tugs at the heart strings, but it's only temporary. Instead of spending money on these types of promotions, it would be better spent offering free spaying to people on limited incomes.

Let's face it. the majority of people who go to a shelter and pay money to adpot a pet are basically responsible. It's the ones who get a cute kitten on a whim when they see the "free kittens" ads who perpetuate the problem. They either dump it when it's no longer cute, or never get it spayed because they don't want to pay. At least if it was free that would go quite a way to solving the problem.
Caspers Mum

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
The gas chamber may sound horrific, but it's no more traumatic than an injection. My 18 old cat had to be put to sleep 5 years ago, and it took the vet 3 goes to find a vein. That was fun!!! The only reason we think it is horrific is that sounds barbaric.

I used to work part time at a vet practice. Although most of the time an injection was used, if the vet had several strays to be put down at once, he used the gas. It is the same anaesthetic used on people in operations. The only difference is the amount. Quick, painless, and the animal doesn't have to be pulled out of a cage by the scruff of its neck and held down while someone sticks a needle in it. The whole reason for the inflammatory language is to catch your attention. People may adopt or donate because this tugs at the heart strings, but it's only temporary. Instead of spending money on these types of promotions, it would be better spent offering free spaying to people on limited incomes.

Let's face it. the majority of people who go to a shelter and pay money to adpot a pet are basically responsible. It's the ones who get a cute kitten on a whim when they see the "free kittens" ads who perpetuate the problem. They either dump it when it's no longer cute, or never get it spayed because they don't want to pay. At least if it was free that would go quite a way to solving the problem.

Agree: finding a vein can sometimes be difficult.

Also agree: irresponsible pet owners are the problem.

Disagree: gassing animals. They throw them in together, they claw to get out, choke, and bleed. This is why Canadian provinces and most states in the U.S. forbid the practice.

Also disagree: animal rescue group see to it that the animals are spray/neutered, and find appropriate homes for them. At least, the ones here do. Even our local SPCA is no-kill.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Agree with Caspers Mum. Gassing is not anesthesia! A vet would perform in a very different way than an animal shelter.
I have known of shelters who have gassed animals via emissions from the exhaust pipes of trucks. This is horrible and causes severe lung pain and panic. It's just a cheap way to "get rid" of animals. Anesthesia is too expensive to waste in these throw away animals...in the shelter's mind.
There are many free or low coast spaying and neutering services, but there are more irresponsible pet owners.
We can't let the animals suffer because their owners are misguided, ignorant, lazy or just cruel.
I sent the money to the kitties last night. My kitties made me do it!

One less product purchase for me this month! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
OMG I feel absolutely SICK. Crying or Very sad I will pass this on to some of my southern friends immediately!!!! I also will make a donation.
Caspers Mum

Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I made a donation through PayPal this morning. Quite frankly, I'd like to hop on a plane, and take all of those cats out of that horrible place!

Oh, and while I'm in the state, I'd like to track down the pathetic woman whom dropped off her cat, due to her "boyfriend's allergy". Loser! (I hope her boyfriend cheats on her, and breaks her heart, the way she's broken her cat's!)

I think I might e-mail the governor of Georgia, letting him know my opinion on gassing animals. It's illegal in many states, and ought to be outlawed in ALL places!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Casper's Mum, I agree with everything you said 100%--- the situation just sickens me, and I want to give the governor of Georgia a piece of my mind! Casper's Mum, Joanie, and Winnie, I wish I could give you all a big kiss for sending money to help the kitties!

I'm a HUGE believer in making low cost spays and neuters available--- this would go SO far to helping ameliorate the problem of unwanted strays languishing in barbaric shelters like Spaulding. I'll say this--- I was looking at the Perfect Complexion website the other day, and the Perfect Kisser Butter Cream balm caught my eye. I wasn't going to get it because I'm nervous about ordering things when the ingredients aren't listed, but then I read that 100% of the proceeds from that balm are donated to a no-kill kitty rescue agency. After I read that, I couldn't buy the balm quickly enough! I guess everyone knows my weakness now...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if they get the money would they keep the cats alive?

If yes - I would gladly donate some money.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
Does anyone know if they get the money would they keep the cats alive?

If yes - I would gladly donate some money.

Sigma, as I understand it, the money listed for each cat is what it would cost the rescuers to give the kitties the required medical treatment and then to board them with a vet or boarder until transportation can be secured to a no-kill location. It seems like a lot, but I know from experience volunteering with no-kill organizations that rescuing doesn't come cheaply.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Do you know why they do not even offer money for the dogs on their website - there were several on that "last" list.

Liz, what do you suggest to be done?

I have a dog, so adapting another animal is not an option. But I do want to help.

TIA,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
Do you know why they do not even offer money for the dogs on their website - there were several on that "last" list.

Liz, what do you suggest to be done?

I have a dog, so adapting another animal is not an option. But I do want to help.

TIA,
Lucy.

Hi Sigma! I know, it's so heartbreaking to see those dogs on the list too, isn't it? I took a look at this no-kill organization's website, and as I understand it they are a cat rescue group, so they are not set up for rescuing dogs although they are big supporters of animal welfare and rescue across the board. You ask me what I suggest to be done--- this is a question that keeps me up at night while I worry about unwanted pets languishing in shelters. There's really not much to do IMO except give support to organizations that support mandatory spay and neuter initiatives to cut down on overcrowding, and then support no-kill agencies that find abandoned pets loving homes. I read some really touching stories on this particular organization's website about kitties they rescued from the gas chamber who found loving homes, hooray! Anyways, I know animals are being put to sleep every minute all over the world and there's not a darn thing I can do to stop it, but having seen the faces of these innocent kitties I can't turn my back on them, so I'm frantically posting everywhere I can think of, trying to raise money to get those guys rescued. So, right now what I can think of to help immediately is to donate whatever we can to help get these kitties transported to safety.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
If what they say is true, Smokey should be safe by now (used their paypal id, specified her name and id#, right?).

Whoever else plans to donate, please, use other cat's ids to help others as well.

Just wish I could save them all.

How can we verify that they indeed saved the cats?

Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
If what they say is true, Smokey should be safe by now (used their paypal id, specified her name and id#, right?).

Whoever else plans to donate, please, use other cat's ids to help others as well.

Just wish I could save them all.

How can we verify that they indeed saved the cats?

Lucy.

Wow, thanks so much Lucy! Actually, I too want to know how many cats we're able to save. I'm going to email people from save kitties, so I'll let you know the MINUTE I hear anything!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Liz.

I just could not get their faces out of my mind, and knew I would not be able to sleep at night if I do not do something (less skincare for me for the next month is not too high a price to pay).

Please, let us know if you learn anyhting about their fate.

TIA,
Lucy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I'm pretty dense but the only I only see one cat (Larsen) on the Spalding County website. I don't know who/what to put in the 'Payment For' part of the paypal form. If money is going to specific cats, I would like to donate to the cat that has had the least amount of donations. hmm

ETA: I'm from the Atlanta area but I'm in Florida right now. We don't have the space for another cat or Fennel would be going home with us...the whole gassing thing makes me sick Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew, apparently the Spalding shelter does not list all of its death row kitties at once, so if you want to send a donation for poor Fennel, just include his name and ID from this post when you send your donation. I know what you mean about Fennel--- he is GORGEOUS and I want him so badly!!!! How could anyone throw him away???

For those of you who are curious, I took it upon myself to contact these people and get more info. I made contact with Save the Kitties, Inc, and they gave me the contact info for Winging Cat Rescue in Georgia, the group who is trying to rescue these death row kitties. I will be sure to let you guys know as soon as I hear back! I want to find out how many kitties we've saved so far, and I'm sure you guys do too!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
GREAT NEWS!!! I've made contact with Winging Cat Rescue, and I have some updates:

As of Tuesday, 7 PM:
Morgan- SAFE!
Fennel- SAFE and pending adoption, YES!
Petunia- needs $127
Pansy- needs $114
Paddington- Needs $118
Fabio- Pending adoption, YES!!!!!
Smokey- SAFE!!!!! (Thank you, Sigma!)

There is another cat who has been thrown in the death row group named Peony who still needs $116. There's also one more kitty named "Lucky" who came to the shelter yesterday. Apparently he's injured so they just went ahead and threw him in the gas chamber, but at the last minute they thought to call Winging Cat Rescue in case they wanted him, so they are now trying to raise funds for him too, $170.

We have already saved so many kitties---- EDS ladies are the BEST!!!!!!!! Thank you guys so much!!!!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
That is fantastic! Thanks for relaying that information Liz! I couldn't pick at cat so I just put in "last chance cats".

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
You gals are the best!

I just sent more funds so Petunia will be saved.

But let's try to save them all!

Oh, and that Fabio. What a looker! I'm so happy he is being adopted because I was sooooo tempted!

you all for caring so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I just got an email that Smokey was saved even before my donation, and they asked my permission to use the money for another cat. No qualms on my part. Hopefully in the end all the cats will be saved.

It is just terrible that we helped today, and what will happen in 2 weeks?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
Sigma and Joani, I'm absolutely SPEECHLESS over your generosity!

Sigma, I know exactly what you mean--- I'm so relieved that we saved so many cats today, but I'm also worried about what will happen in two weeks. Luckily it seems like there is a good rescue system in place, it's just funds that they lack. I've been kinda mulling an idea over in my head, you guys can let me know what you think: I was thinking that we could contact companies that are small enough that they have a relationship with their customers--- for example, Alima, Ice Elements, Best Bath Store, U Glo Girl, Naturderm, etc etc, and we could ask them if they would be willing to donate some small item to the cause in exchange for us posting an announcement in multiple places (IE facebook, myspace, EDS if the mods will allow it) that they helped save kitties--- good PR for the companies, right? Then I could take pictures of the items and sell them on ebay and send all the money from the items to this organization, to save more death row kitties. What do you guys think? It's only a half-baked idea right now, and there's no guarantee that we'd even get a single donation, but it's all I got... thoughts?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:02 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Sigma and Joani, I'm absolutely SPEECHLESS over your generosity!

Sigma, I know exactly what you mean--- I'm so relieved that we saved so many cats today, but I'm also worried about what will happen in two weeks. Luckily it seems like there is a good rescue system in place, it's just funds that they lack. I've been kinda mulling an idea over in my head, you guys can let me know what you think: I was thinking that we could contact companies that are small enough that they have a relationship with their customers--- for example, Alima, Ice Elements, Best Bath Store, U Glo Girl, Naturderm, etc etc, and we could ask them if they would be willing to donate some small item to the cause in exchange for us posting an announcement in multiple places (IE facebook, myspace, EDS if the mods will allow it) that they helped save kitties--- good PR for the companies, right? Then I could take pictures of the items and sell them on ebay and send all the money from the items to this organization, to save more death row kitties. What do you guys think? It's only a half-baked idea right now, and there's no guarantee that we'd even get a single donation, but it's all I got... thoughts?

I think that's a great idea.

As sigma says, the terrible thing is that the threat to these abandoned cats is going to go on and on. What happens next time, and the time after that, and the time after that...?

It's heartbreaking.

The worst thing is that I'm about to (hopefully) adopt another cat in the next few days - we should be going to meet him soon. Then I'll be looking for a little girl to be his companion, as he's absolutely crazy about other cats and loves to be with them. How I wish I lived nearer so I could take one of these on. Any of those girls (although the boys are wonderful too). I'd have that sweetheart Petunia in a heartbeat.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |