Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
What do you use to remove sunblock (SPF 50+)?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Like what the question implied. I heard that using a normal cleanser won't do and a makeup remover such as a cleansing oil will effectively remove it. If sunblock is not thoroughly removed, it'll cause blocked pores. So just wondering if any of u just use a cleansing cloth or remover besides cleansing oil to effectively remove everything? Cuz I don't really like the thought of using oil on my face since some ppl develop horrible allergic reaction to it such as rashes or bumps. Thanks!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm...I am using Bioderma SS SPF50+ (SPF100), and I just use gentle cleanser (got two, one from IFP and the other from skincarecentral) to wash my face before I go to bed. I don't know if it's effective or not in removing all the SS. How does one test for that?
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using Eve Lom Cleanser and a muslin cloth and that seems to work very well. I think any OCM will do though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
I'm using Eve Lom Cleanser and a muslin cloth and that seems to work very well. I think any OCM will do though.

Do you wet your face before OCMing? I read the OCM thread briefly (got through just the first page) and didn't recall reading anything about whether you have to wet your face first or you OCM it on dry skin. What oil do you use? Does caster have to be part of it?
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've used some water resistant sunscreens and Mario Badescu's Enzyme Cleansing Gel is the only thing that works to remove them for me.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
andaman_gypsy wrote:

Do you wet your face before OCMing? I read the OCM thread briefly (got through just the first page) and didn't recall reading anything about whether you have to wet your face first or you OCM it on dry skin. What oil do you use? Does caster have to be part of it?

I've never used a homemade OCM. I used Shu Uemura one for years, but I'm not using Eve Lom. It's not a cleansing oil, but a balm and uses the OCM. But you apply oil onto dry skin, massage it all over your face and steam with warm damp cloth. Then wipe it off. Some people steam and wipe their faces a few times and have to follow with another cleanser afterwards. I don't think caster oil is necessary. I think some people even use plain olive oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Cellcosmet Gel cleanser for some time now and it easily removes sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
I use makeup remover!
hoyee
5% products discount

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:21 am      Reply with quote
use the same oil that I use to re-move makeup..I think there is no need to use a specific product to remove it, right? Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:44 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Hmm...I am using Bioderma SS SPF50+ (SPF100), and I just use gentle cleanser (got two, one from IFP and the other from skincarecentral) to wash my face before I go to bed. I don't know if it's effective or not in removing all the SS. How does one test for that?

If you have congested pores, then there might be a chance that the sunscreen is not effectively removed.

I'm talking about waterproof sunblock here...not a regular sunscreen. I heard that if you are using something such as La Roche Posay that has Mexoryl XL, you might need a cleansing oil or a waterproof makeup remover. Do u think it'll be completely removed with just a cleansing cloth or regular cleanser? Anyone try that b4? Thanks!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:17 am      Reply with quote
If you don't want to use an oil I'd recommend a regular MU remover (usually these are milks or cold creams) and then you can use your regular Olay cleanser afterwards. I think doing a double cleanse is really important for waterproof sunscreen. If you don't want to use another cleanser, like the idea above try buying a muslin cloth to use with your cleanser.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:50 am      Reply with quote
The homemade version of Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream does a good job at removing waterproof sunscreen or Clinique Take the Day off make-up remover followed by a cleanser.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:55 am      Reply with quote
i'm with andaman_gypsy. i use Eve Lom every night with the cloth and if i *don't* my face will get congested quickly and i'll breakout. i do use a heavy duty euro sunscreen (but not waterproof). if your skin is prone to acne and/or congestion, i think a balm or oil cleanser is a must. the cloth also helps -- the steam heat will melt the last of the SS, and tou can rub in the areas that are prone to congestion (and likely to pool a little extra SS during the day).

a question was asked whether castor oil is a necessary ingredient in the oil -- it's not. just whatever you use, you have to make sure you remove that properly as well.

if you don't want to use and oil or a balm (as a cleanser or pre-cleanse), then this is the one time i think a toner is an absolute necessity. essentially, you just want to make sure you get the suscreen all off your face!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:00 am      Reply with quote
la vie's toner tip just reminded me of CLEANSING WATERS. It may be a good alternative to milk/oil cleansers. Nuxe makes a good one, but other brands like L'Occitane, Clarins and Decleor have them too. You can use it in place of a toner plus it has more power than a toner to get all the gunk off. Or you can use it prior to cleansing as a makeup remover.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:23 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
la vie's toner tip just reminded me of CLEANSING WATERS. It may be a good alternative to milk/oil cleansers. Nuxe makes a good one, but other brands like L'Occitane, Clarins and Decleor have them too. You can use it in place of a toner plus it has more power than a toner to get all the gunk off. Or you can use it prior to cleansing as a makeup remover.

Cleansing waters?

Laughing I think I finally have read everything related to cleansing now. I keep on thinking of those detox drinks - especially the Ocean Spray Cranberry Ad with the two pretend socialites.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:25 am      Reply with quote
talking about cleansing water, my friend swears by L'Occitane Immortelle Cleansing Water to remove every trace of makeup, sunscreen and cleanser. I introduced her to OCM, but she just thought it's too complicated and too much hassle for her as she's more used to the traditional cleansing milk or foaming cleanser and is addicted to using a toner. After she started using L'Occitane cleansing water, she said she noticed a difference on her skin. She just doesn't get clogged pores any more these days. I haven't tried it myself as I avoid using toners these days. Even Avene or Evian seem to make my skin even more dehydrated.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:57 am      Reply with quote
thanks, sormuimui, i forgot. i have used this and still pack it when i'm out camping and whatnot.... the best cleansing water, IMO, is by Bioderma. here are the reviews from MUA (same product, they just have different formula names):

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=72125/Sensibio_H2O/Bioderma/Cleansers/

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=57777/Crealine_H20_Solution_micellaire/Bioderma/Cleansers/

since Bioderma is mostly known for their industrial strength sunscreens, it makes sense that they make a great removal product.
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I use the DHC oil cleanser which I also use for makeup removal.
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I use either Dermalogica Precleanse or DHC Cleansing Oil and follow with a regular cleanser, especially if I'm wearing one of my Japanese sunscreens. I always follow with a cleanser. I like both of these oils because they aren't heavy at all and emulsify easily with water.

I have GOW Cleansing oil on order - I want to try it because it is so inexpensive.

I notice a BIG difference in my skin (in a good way) if I use a cleansing oil before cleanser.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
So u girls said that there's a big difference in your skin when u use a good cleanser to remove makeup (whether it's oil or remover). What kinda difference do u see? Less congested skin? So that means if I use a good makeup remover other than oil, my waterproof sunscreen will be effectively removed? Thank you so much!Very Happy That really helps a lot! Cuz I just have an issue about putting oil on my face for fear that it'll break me out like crazy. Confused
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Stardusty - I use a relatively oily SS (Avene Emulsion SPF50+) and wear a bit of MMU as well as eye makeup. Cetaphil cleanser (for normal to oily skin) does the job for me although I lather twice to make sure I get everything off. When I first started using oily SS, I too worried if I was removing it effectively and so I bought an inexpensive alcohol-free toner (Nivea) to make sure. I generally don't need it, but sometimes use it in mid-summer when my skin is at its oiliest. I'm just not one to spend much money on cleansers, etc.
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:10 am      Reply with quote
for me, i will use a cleansing milk to remove first then follow by my mild cleansing gel.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:34 am      Reply with quote
I usually use either Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil, or Babor Cleansing Oil, followed by my normal cleanser.
mystixx
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I normally use my cleansing oil, cleansing gel or makeup remover wipes to remove them...
lil_miss_skincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sunflower oil from the market works well and it's cheap to boot! I always wash with facial clenser afterward to remove residue.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |