Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
MMU coverage
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:27 am      Reply with quote
In some other threads different people have different experiences with the coverage they get from using the same MMU. That got me thinking whether it was really the way it reacted to someone's face or the brush they were using or their skincare routine. And I found something very interesting in my own experience.

I did not really use a moisturizer before as I was still figuring out and balancing my oily acne-prone skin. I usually use Yonka's Creme 15 + Dermol 3 as my last time. It's also a very good base for makeup and I've always based MMU coverage upon that. However recently my skin is balanced but very dry so I got a sample of Osea's Advanced Protection cream which is very different from what I was using before. It's thick, balmy and I only use a tiny amount which sinks in immediately and leaves me very matte and smooth. However it leaves me a bit too matte, when I tried to put MMU on the MMU gave me barely any coverage and enhanced my flakies REALLY BADLY. So I kept on spritzing and reapplying and peeling off some flakies to make it look better. I put sunscreen on as my last step today on top of my APC and it was better but not by much. Then when I tried it with some Camellia oil at the end makeup went on super smoothly with no flakies and great even coverage. So my conclusion is if you have dry skin you MUST use a primer or a moisturizer that won't completely sink into your skin or a light oil. The difference is big - when I used it with my all time full coverage Lumiere right after APC it gave me sheer coverage! Also I find that dampening skin or brush with a spritzer won't work as well as a good thick moisturizer or good base. So if anyone's looking for a bit more coverage with their fav MMU on days when it's needed you could try to apply a thin layer of light oil prior to your makeup application as a base (I used camellia oil) it might be the most organic way to have your MMU look good.

Note: I have been experimenting with Lumiere, Lauress and Alima and have the same thing happen with all of them. I also used Alima's brush 25 for reference as a makeup brush DOES matter in coverage as well.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've recently made the same observation as well!!! I've just purchased Laura Mercier's MMU and oil-free primer and have been experimenting with the MMU with and without primer, just to see what effect the primer gives me. I'm oily but prone to flakes around my nose and around pimples and always thought more exfoliation was the answer for me. Before this i've never used any liquid primer before my MMU because I never use moisturizer and think any liquid on my face will make me oilier. The only primer i've used is Jurlique silk dust, to absorb the oil. I have to say that the Laura Mercier primer makes a HUGE difference in the coverage i get from my MMU. The primer is not very mattifying but I find the pearl powder in the MMU balances my oil production. Since the LM primer is expensive for the amount you get, i'll save it for special occasions and will maybe try aloe vera gel as a primer. Needless to say my MMU glides on with a creamy texture and pores are invisible.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, if you have flakies or dry skin of any kind primer is a must. I find thin moisturizers don't work very well, thick creams DO (whether they're moisturizing or not). I have begun to use my Creme 15 JUST for this purpose (so now I'm using it after my usual moisturizer and sunscreen rather than as a moisturizer), it's the best primer ever plus it's supposed to help w/my acne!. Thus my conclusion is creamy primers will work and thin ones won't, and regardless of what MMU companies say to let your moisturizer totally absorb first I never do that because MMU glides on WAY better if you skin is still a tad damp from the moisturizer. And also 1.7oz of primer seems small it actually lasts a long time, I remember I used to use Shiseido's Pre-makeup craem and after 6 months of daily use I still had 1/3 left. And it's better to use a sponge for primer rather than fingers as fingers may cause streaks.

LMK if Aloe works, intuitionally it might not work so well because it creates a barrier and firms up your skin so your skin might end up looking dryer than before, after putting on your MMU. And I'm SOOOOO waiting for your review of LM. I might end up buying it next week!
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Good observation! Every type of MMU looked crappy on my skin (really showed off my flakies, as you mentioned), but my skin is generally very dehydrated so that makes sense. I'll have to give it another try with a better moisturizer, and it just so happens that I've got some Creme 15 on hand! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip! I am going to try and apply my MMU right after applying my sunscreen now since that is a physical cream, making it quite thick. Sounds like what you are recommending I think.

I have been planning to go back to the non-MMU foundation just because the coverage is doing nothing for me, unless I do three or four layers and takes way to long.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui - Thanks for the tip. I've never thought of this before. MMU always seems to accentuate my flakies, but it isn't so bad with Lily Lolo MMU. However, I always use a lighter moisturizer during the day. Even though I have dry dehydrated skin, thick moisturizer doesn't seem to sink in well for me during the day as it's so hot and humid where I live. Since I don't have any primer on hand, I'm gonna try with Cle de Peau La Creme which is really rich and La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream which is silicone base. I'll report back once I've tried the technique.

Re Osea APC - I've never tried it with MMU, but to me, it doesn't feel like it gives any moisture to my skin at all. Rather it feels like it just creates a barrier on my skin, so it won't lose further moisture...sorta like putting vaseline on my lips.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:43 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I am going to try and apply my MMU right after applying my sunscreen now since that is a physical cream, making it quite thick. Sounds like what you are recommending I think.

I have been planning to go back to the non-MMU foundation just because the coverage is doing nothing for me, unless I do three or four layers and takes way to long.

That's exactly how I feel about MMU too, takes too long and sometimes I end up looking too powdery and made up. If your ss is a nice thick cream it should work, but others like my Clarins or something thin like Sunkiller probably wouldn't be the best choice. Let me know how you guys fair with this!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Sormuimui have you tried using pearl cream as a primer? I tried using aloe vera gel (Lily of the Desert brand) and it does leave my skin feeling slightly taut but it provided me with a smooth canvas for my MMU and is great for flakies. I like the idea of a natural primer and find it controls oil really well too. However I don't get as good as a coverage compared to my LM oil-free primer so i'm looking for alternatives. I still don't want to use moisturizer or silicone-primers and so pearl cream would be the next candidate.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Purminerals for years,and have been very happy with it. I must say I use the pressed powder version because it is MUCH easier to get the proper application. The loose powder, for me, is more difficult to use.
I have found there are two things to keep in mind: 1) You MUST use a moisturizer underneath so it has something to grab onto. If you have oily or acne prone skin, just use an appropriate brand. Be careful with primers though, because some of them have silicone and I've found that makes my skin feel too oily.
2) Using a proper brush is also key. Purminerals makes a fabulous brush for pressed powder that this completely round,a little stubby, and the bristles are blunt cut. This combo gives great coverage and great control. For the loose powder a looser fluffy brush is best, and it is more a process of gently layering until you get the coverage you want.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
so many people recommend MMU!
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I also use camellia oil as a base before my MMU. I have dry-combo skin and camellia oil really helps the flakies. My skin looks super smooth with camellia oil before my MMU. Aloe vera gel leaves my skin too dry and not moisturizing at all for my super dry skin. Lately, I've fallen in love with squalane oil though. Smile
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Sormuimui have you tried using pearl cream as a primer? I tried using aloe vera gel (Lily of the Desert brand) and it does leave my skin feeling slightly taut but it provided me with a smooth canvas for my MMU and is great for flakies. I like the idea of a natural primer and find it controls oil really well too. However I don't get as good as a coverage compared to my LM oil-free primer so i'm looking for alternatives. I still don't want to use moisturizer or silicone-primers and so pearl cream would be the next candidate.

I think oils would be best. Pearl cream does the same - it also provides a protective barrier. I like the idea of a natural primer as well as all primers out there are either filled with silicones or alcohol/chemicals. That is why I've been using my Creme 15. I really like Yonka creams because they're pretty organic and you can always find one for your skintype and they're all thick yet sinks in. I think it's hard to find a cream that controls oil as well for this purpose (I don't think primers so this well either) so I'd probably just put some silk dust on my face as a finisher instead.
sparkle
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
powder type of foundations always require some sort of moist/slippery surface to grasp the powders, otherwise it will accentuate all the flakies and finelines. Plus powder type of foundations tend to be a bit more drying, so any good moisturiser or silicone based primer underneath should do the trick.

I dont know about oils, but i find using certain oils under my makeup tends to oxidize the foundation (i.e. makes my face look dull by end of the day).
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |