Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does missing MSM dose cause headaches?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Ok...twice this week I missed my morning 3000 mg dose of MSM and I got terrible headaches. It may not be related (maybe its pollen and just a sinus headache??) but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:14 am      Reply with quote
I have personally never run into this, and have often missed doses; pollen levels are high in many USA areas right now, which can cause headaches, as you noted.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:37 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Ok...twice this week I missed my morning 3000 mg dose of MSM and I got terrible headaches. It may not be related (maybe its pollen and just a sinus headache??) but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

i noticed the same thing, i feel a "sinus" headache when i miss my daily doses of MSM...It goes away when i take my MSM regularly...

5% products discount

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:58 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:

I agree with TanGal. One of the benefits of taking MSM is that it does help many people with allergy symptoms. I saw a news report last night that pollen counts are extremely high across the country. Where a count of 120 would be considered "high", they were reporting counts in the 5000 range and setting records.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I saw that also pc! Smile

Pollen counts are higher all over the USA, then they have been in years past.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I take 6g of MSM a day and noticed that I only sneezed a handful of times the last few days. This along with my OoO (Oil of Oregano) seems to really be combatting my normal sinus headaches. I can "feel" the sinuses being affected but only mildly compared to my normal raging headaches.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
Where a count of 120 would be considered "high", they were reporting counts in the 5000 range and setting records.

Here in the Atlanta area, we had record highs of 5900+ last week. It was unbelievable - I have a black car & it looked like it was covered with a light layer of yellow velvet - and it would look like that within a day of washing it! You could shine a flashlight up at night & it would look like it was snowing (yellow snow Laughing ). We always have heavy pollen in the spring (3000+) but this year has been unbelievable! At least it rained Sunday to wash some of the yellow stuff out of the air...

I don't really have allergies, but the sheer quantity of pollen was irritating the heck out of my sinuses & eyes last week - in fact, even my skin was itching, like it was dusted with an irritating powder (not like a hives itch). Of course, like an idiot, I had my windows open for a few days last week, so now I have a layer of yellow dust all over everything inside... Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Well, that headache was killer and I've never gotten one unless I'm dealing with a sinus infection. So I took a dose of MSM as soon as I got home from work, but the headache didn't go away. Right before bed I did my nightly sinus cleanse. I used to use a Neti Pot, but I've graduated to what hard-core sinus cleaners use: A Water Pic.(I have a nasal tip on it.) Almost immediately after cleaning my sinuses the headache was gone! Ok...it wasn't the MSM. It WAS the pollen.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
I take 6g of MSM a day and noticed that I only sneezed a handful of times the last few days. This along with my OoO (Oil of Oregano) seems to really be combatting my normal sinus headaches. I can "feel" the sinuses being affected but only mildly compared to my normal raging headaches.

Tricia, have you adapted to the taste of the OoO yet? I still hate the taste even to this day. When will you do the saliva test again?

To answer the question on MSM, I have tried hard not to miss my daily dosages, but when I did miss it, I didn't get a headache.

By the way, my hair on my right arm is getting longer than that on my left arm. Is this from MSM? I hope not! Don't know what is causing this though.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse, yes, I have adapted to the taste but altered how I take it slightly. I put the drops under my tongue and then hold it there for as long as possible WITHOUT swallowing. It helps get into the system better, I think, and there's no disgusting taste. Works perfectly.

5% products discount

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:39 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Well, that headache was killer and I've never gotten one unless I'm dealing with a sinus infection. So I took a dose of MSM as soon as I got home from work, but the headache didn't go away. Right before bed I did my nightly sinus cleanse. I used to use a Neti Pot, but I've graduated to what hard-core sinus cleaners use: A Water Pic.(I have a nasal tip on it.) Almost immediately after cleaning my sinuses the headache was gone! Ok...it wasn't the MSM. It WAS the pollen.

I have been heading toward doing something like this for quite some time now but can't quite bring myself to actually do it. Did you learn to do this on your own, or did someone show you how to do it? Part of my anxiety is not really knowing the technique, i.e. what angle to hold my head at, how much pressure to use, water temperature, what should actually happen, and whether or not it will really sting like the saline nasal sprays seem to. Would you recommend for a beginner like me to start with a neti pot, or would you recommend going right for the waterpik? If you know of a web site that has detailed instructions, that would be very helpful.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:06 am      Reply with quote
I used a Neti Pot for many years before switching to the Water Pik. If I were you, I would start with the Neti Pot. Don't be afraid! It is very easy and simple to do. You add a pinch of some sea salt or kosher salt to some water (I also add a pinch of baking soda) and tilt your head over the sink until you find the position that lets it drain out of the opposite nostril. I just did a search and found lots of websites giving directions on how to do it, but here is someones blog with pictures on how its done.
http://ninjapoodles.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-am-so-glamorous-or-me-and-my-neti.html
After you do it for a while, you might want to consider the Water Pik, which I think is a much more intense and thorough cleanse. If you go that route, you should buy the nasal tip. It used to be available on Water Pik's web site but I just looked and they don't show it. Here's a site that sells it cheap though: shaverspot.com
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have that little pot form sinus cleanse and am still using the packets thta it came with, though i could mix my own after if i like. it doesn't sting at all.
The salone nasla sprays shouldn't sting if there good. I once used a store brand one and ocean one and htya both stung and had a gross chamical taste to them. I really like Simply Saline, much more portable and handier than using the pot which is good for night or whrn the sinuses are really bad.
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=148008&catid=9333&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=9333&trxp2=148008&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Do you suffer this before you start taking MSM? Could it be a side effect of it?
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to post that I missed my MSM for 24 hours and had HORRIBLE headaches almost the entire time. While my sinus headaches are typically in the front of my head, around the temples, these headaches were at the lower back. I do have the worst sinuses ever so I wouldn't doubt the two are related.

Also, I do my own sinus flushes but a bit differently from those methods mentioned here. I take a small paper cup (so I can bend it and make a spout) full of warm water mixed with sea salt and slowly tilt my head back and pour it in one nostril at a time. While it's going through I gently sniff a few times to get it up into my sinus cavity and then it all pours directly out of my mouth. I know it sounds a bit gross but it's SO wonderful for my sinuses. You need to be careful when you sniff though not to breath in too hard. Salt water in the lungs is NOT fun. Laughing
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:20 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
If I were you, I would start with the Neti Pot. Don't be afraid!

Well, after two weeks of constant sinus pain, I finally tried a saline nasal wash that I had bought and was sitting around for several months. Because of the advice and the link you provided, I diluted it slightly and heated it to body temperature, which seems to be very helpful--I almost didn't feel it! One side did sting slightly (the side that has the worst pain), but not nearly as badly as I had feared.

I did this all last night. Today, I feel significantly better although not entirely pain-free. Maybe after a few more washes, now that I am past the fear factor.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I missed my MSM doses for a total of 36 hours. No headaches for me. I'm really sleepy though, but that's b/c I went to sleep at 2 am last night. :-P
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:52 am      Reply with quote
With the pollen as bad as it is, I am doing my sinus cleanses sometimes twice a day. Incredibly, I haven't gotten a sinus infection for several months. I am highly recommend doing these, whether its Tamgirls way with a paper cup, or a neti pot or syringe or Water Pik. Also, I missed a dose of MSM with no headache this week. BTW, I'm up to 6000 mgs a day. I don't know if its helping my skin, hair or candida, (and definitely not with weightloss) but I think along with glucosamine/chondroitan, it is helping my joints (knees! Very Happy )
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |