Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Am I Masking too Much?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all. I have recently purchased the decleor regulating mask and it is a gentle mask which I love. I was wondering though how often to use it? I am so tempted to use it every night, but I suspect that may be too much.

How often do people mask and, can I cause more problems for my skin by using masks too much?

Many thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Generally I think your skin would benefit from using masks no more than 2x a week, especially if it is deep cleansing/regulating mask. Having said that I find with some masks you can actually use them more often, such as the Dr Hauschka rejuvenating & moisturizing masks, & also some of Eminence masks can be used more often too. But I guess it all depends on your skin type & condition, mine is very sensitive so I can't use anything too harsh on a daily basis.

HTH Smile
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Great question,
I was wondering the same thing!
I have found (for my skin) that if I use a clay based mask more than once a week- my skin gets excessively dry.
But I can use the O'slee night masks on my face and my skin feels great (they aren't clay based). I have been using the pore refining mask from O'slee for about 3 times a week now, but I started off using the O'slee brighteing mask and the refining mask interchangibly every other night (so wearing a mask every night)(brightening one didnt work though.

Although my skin didnt mind the masks, ny husband did- so thats why I cut it down to 2-3X week

How often do people use a mask?
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
I do believe too much of good thing can add uncessary burden on your skin and weakens your skin's natural ability to heal and recover. I agree with Safire that twice a week is more than enough.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin and it tends to have a lot of dead skin build up (fast cell turnover), I exfoliate every day and can get away with using Dr H clay mask 2-3 times a week without having any dryness - though purging is another separate issue. I actually enjoy using clay masks frequently because it soaks up a lot of excess sebum and minimises pores, so my skin is a lot less oily the next day. It really depends on the ingredients in the mask too, many "acne" masks have a lot of astringents and alcohols that end up dehydrating the skin, whereas gentle clay masks only soak up oil.
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. Perhaps 2 - 3 times a week will have to be my limit.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try the Decleor Prolagene gel on alternate nights - or maybe an active?

I have resisted using actives so far. Though Vit C has been tempting. I'm also thinking of tryinga scrub / exfoliator. Would it be too much to have a mask on one night and exfoliate the next?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
My face is oily...if its a slow week at work I try to do 3 masks a week...Sunday, Wednesday & Friday. If I'm busy, I'm lucky to get 2 in a week.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I often use mask twice or three times a week. Using it too often will also be a burden to your skin.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
I think you use too much times!
I use twice moisturing mask and one deep clean mask per week.
wickawer
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:50 am      Reply with quote
Like a lot of people have said it depends on the mask and your skin type. If your skin is very dry and you are using a hydrating mask then i think you could probably use it every other day for a week to get your skin really hydrated and then use it once or twice a week. For oily skin if you are using a clay mask then maybe 3 times a week or less if it dries the skin out. I really want to try the ren masks there are 3 of them which you can use on their own or together one after the other to give you almost an at home facial. If you was to do this i would do it once a week and then maybe use my bliss triple oxygen mask maybe twice a week.
I love the sensation of relaxing with a mask on the face.
Also i think if you are going to use face masks and want to exfoliate then use the exfoliator first and then apply the mask as it helps it work better as it is not being soaked up by dead skin cells.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:53 am      Reply with quote
I actually prefer to use a scrub after clay masks since rinsing may not remove all traces of product and I find that my skin feels a lot 'rougher' after a mask.
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 am      Reply with quote
i use mask once two days.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
thsi is an interesting topic! i use a mask nearly every night, when i feel like im gonna break out, i use a clay based mask every night, if not then i use moisturising ones...i do think im masking too much tho! but my skin doesnt seem to dry excessively (thick skinned Very Happy ) and i love how whenever i rinse off, my skin feels kinda soft and the marks and spots seem to be smaller and faded....but then its all the same the next day Mad
Happycat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:32 am      Reply with quote
I think that depends on what type of mask, some masks claimed to be ok for use everyday and some can even be used overnight...

The frequency I wear mask depends on my skin condition, if it is poor, I may use up to 3 times cleansing mask + 2 moisture mask a week... better pick a gently but effective cleansing mask that you can use it as often as you like... But generally speaking, I think 2-3 times a week would be good.
beautydream
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
I do believe too much of good thing can add uncessary burden on your skin and weakens your skin's natural ability to heal and recover. I agree with Safire that twice a week is more than enough.

I agree with Iaimei Very Happy
vikki_cooler
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I mask every day.
But I use different mask each time. Generally, 2 times of hydrating mask, 1 cleaning mask and unlimited DIY mask per week.
Laughing
Kimmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I was actually just wondering if i was overdoing the masks. As I find that my skin absolutely loves mario badescu masks, especially the drying mask, the flower & tonic mask and the hydrating mask, I've been using one of them almost everynight. I generally only use them at night after a shower (and I don't exfoliate beforehand or afterwards.. usually just in the morning)!
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
i also mask almost everyday, i rotate between different masques.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:09 am      Reply with quote
I think it totally depends on what type of mask you use. I would imagine using deep cleansing mask every day would be too much, or even brightening mask. I use hydrating masks (Eminence, Valmont, Osea) every other day without problems. I find my skin really benefits from it as I have dry dehydrated skin and this really has helped a lot.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
my derm said masking every night could be fine as long as you don't leave it on for too long. the only problem with masking too frequently is the skin is kept in an oclusive environment (basically that's how the mask 'forces' itself into the skin by making the skin absorb what's on the mask). Prolonged oclusion from air or prolonged moisture exposure may trigger eczema or dermatitis, that's about the only issue.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I do a mask (alternate between two different masks) about 2-3 times a week.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
mask every day?
will be too rich for the skin?
lovelyjane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
If you use deep cleansing mask every day, it will be excessive. But a hydrating mask will be fine unless you're very oily.
dd7
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 4:28 am      Reply with quote
hehe. i mask everyday as well.

whitening & whitening

or whitening and hydrating

or whitening and anti-aging

and deep cleansing mask once / twice a week

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dd7, so what do you use everyday? Is it sheet mask? Do you mind tell the brand? Thx.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |