Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Natural oils for an absolute beginner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:23 am      Reply with quote
First of all : I’m not a DIY person.
I’m still afraid that there is more than mixing together few liquids and actually I might do more harm than good at the end. I tend to enjoy luxurious products, all the research in the background, and that they’re produced in laboratory conditions, etc.
But somehow I just got curious (bored…) and ordered seabuckthorn, pomegranate, rice bran, passionflower and natural Vit. E oil + liquid beta-glucan. My last trip to oils few months ago ended up with quite a disaster : I had an awful break-out from rosehipseed oil … So I was rather unsure this time, but anyway, I mixed a small amount (lasting 3-4 days only, as I don’t want to use preservatives) :
5 drops of Vit. E (a very thick orange oil)
5 drop of pomegranate (thick colourless oil)
5 drops of rice bran (colourless runny oil)
1-2 drops of passionflower oil
5-10 betaglucan (it’s a thick fluid, doesn’t mix with the oils completely)
The next days I’ll add the seabuckthorn as well…
My experience after 5-6 days of p.m. application : to my biggest surprise, I have no irritation and the mix absorbs easily (not within seconds, but within 5-10 minutes). My skin looks nice : pores seem to be less visible and skin tone looks even, healthy. I’m overall very positively surprised and will continue using the oil-mix.
I apply my mix p.m. only as I don’t know how it would react with my Skinmed. VitC, used a.m.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Bravo

I have been eying both seabuckthorn,and pomegranate oil for a while, they are definitely on my next order from GOW.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Hello lin23,
Which Seabuckthrone Oil did you get? The berry one or the seed one?
Thanks first.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cat,

I got the berry one, which is quite orange(ish), but mixed with the others doesn't stain the skin.
I added the oils one by one to the mix, in order to know which one irritates - luckily, non of them, which is actually a big surprise for me.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Glad to hear you're liking something for a change Lin Wink

I'm not really into naturals myself, but I'm getting a very positive buzz from some oils which I'm experimenting with right now too.

I take issue with you on your description of the pomegranate oil and we have the same supplier Laughing. You say it's 'thick'. I'd say it's one of the lightest oils I've used. Maybe a notch up from squalene. That's my absolute favourite right now - It seems to have a firming action for me. I'm wondering if it actually has anti-ox benefits because that's a claim I find hard to justify with these oils.

My other experiment is with cod liver oil capsules (I found them in the fridge and thought why not?). Jesus, what a stench - it's like smothering a tin of tuna on yourself. But if you can tolerate that and wash your pillow cases nightly it has the most amazing effect. It's as if I'd used a retinoid.

Anyway, you can call me fish face from now on.

I'm thinking capsules are the way to go. Catski gave me the idea when I was looking for borage oil, which I'll be using next once I make it to the shops.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,
I seem to have the reputation of somebody who doesn’t like anything… ;-)
Anyway, I’m not into naturals (even I very much wanted to be) because in the past I’ve had some really bad issues with them and they just didn’t seem to fit for my skin.
First thing in the morning after I get up is a trip to the mirror, for a detailed examination of my face. Today I was so happy again : after a night with my oils my skin is lovely and hydrated and toned (but not oily!). The capsule idea sounds good – although the cod-liver oil will have to wait until my husband’s next business trip…(I guess, it must be the Omega3 in it what a.o. makes you so pretty ?). BTW, you & me, we would make a lovely couple : fish-face and fish-head… I washed my hair today in a seakelp&shampoo mix and now I’m spreading a light odour of a French seaside wherever I go…
BTW, what do you use for your eye-area at the moment ?
Cheers,
lin
MarkeyGoW
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:
First of all : I’m not a DIY person.
I’m still afraid that there is more than mixing together few liquids and actually I might do more harm than good at the end. I tend to enjoy luxurious products, all the research in the background, and that they’re produced in laboratory conditions, etc.
But somehow I just got curious (bored…) and ordered seabuckthorn, pomegranate, rice bran, passionflower and natural Vit. E oil + liquid beta-glucan. My last trip to oils few months ago ended up with quite a disaster : I had an awful break-out from rosehipseed oil … So I was rather unsure this time, but anyway, I mixed a small amount (lasting 3-4 days only, as I don’t want to use preservatives) :
5 drops of Vit. E (a very thick orange oil)
5 drop of pomegranate (thick colourless oil)
5 drops of rice bran (colourless runny oil)
1-2 drops of passionflower oil
5-10 betaglucan (it’s a thick fluid, doesn’t mix with the oils completely)
The next days I’ll add the seabuckthorn as well…
My experience after 5-6 days of p.m. application : to my biggest surprise, I have no irritation and the mix absorbs easily (not within seconds, but within 5-10 minutes). My skin looks nice : pores seem to be less visible and skin tone looks even, healthy. I’m overall very positively surprised and will continue using the oil-mix.
I apply my mix p.m. only as I don’t know how it would react with my Skinmed. VitC, used a.m.

Excellent job trusting your 'instincts'..
Congrats!
Markey Smile
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:
Hi Molly,
I seem to have the reputation of somebody who doesn’t like anything… Wink

Maybe only with me Wink - let's call it discerning.

I went back and checked the packaging of my cod liver oil capsules; I thought it said it had high levels of Vits A & D and I assumed as a natural constituent of the oil (I'm a bit ignorant about food supplements), but on second viewing they're added so it seems I've retinylly palmitated myself by accident. I think I'll give up the fishy ones; there are less smelly ways of getting the omegas and I'm not using retinoids Laughing

I'm using almost exactly the same on my eye area as the rest of my face; that's usually the case except for exfoliants, apart from an extra drop of ALA in squalene every day. I find that really helps with firming.

In fact one of my eyes is looking horribly shabby since I gave up the Retinaldehyde so my current eye regimen is less than adequate.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
MarkeyGoW wrote:
Excellent job trusting your 'instincts'..
Congrats!
Markey :-)

Wow, thank you Markey !
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |