Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:35 am      Reply with quote
pl79 wrote:
I live in australia. Anyone know where to get retin-a in here? do i have to get prescription to buy it in local chemist/pharmacy?

Yes, you need a prescription from the doctor. Or you can purchase it from an on-line pharmacy. However, unlike in the States, Retin-A is relatively inexpensive to purchase here in Oz.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
pl79 wrote:
thanks a lot bethany.....for vit c.... i just bought Aesop - B Triple C Facial Balancing Gel 60mL... can i just use it? or do i have to get a special vit c serum?

Hi p179 - I'm currently using Ole Henriksen C serum - and I'm just going to keep using it until it's gone - and then purchase a "better" one... I think it'd be just fine to continue using the Aesop - since you've already purchased it. Smile

The forum ladies here are just great in their recommendations for products - so if you have something specific in mind, I'm sure that they can give you some suggestions...
pl79
5% products discount

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
keliu: thanks for the info....do you know which online pharmacy sell retin-a in aust? how did u get yours?

bethany: i just saw your pics... OMG! i wonder if i should do that to my stretch mark? :O but wasn't it very painful??
pl79
5% products discount

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny: ok i think i will be using it up before purchasing the new product... but the thing is... i tried it on last night on my stretchmark and it decreased a lot (the product, not the stretchmark) Sad and i was thinking... it's such an exp product... i should find cheaper alternative since i'm using it for such large area Sad

i found the recipe for vit c serum in this forum... and i also find the website selling the ingredients....

but for the vit a... is it the same as retin-a?
i found this product:

AHA PhytoFruit Mix
Clear water-soluable liquid

and also

Vitamin A
retinol palmitate
Vitamin A is widely used in cosmetics such as moisturisers, lotions, body butters, shampoos, conditioners, gels and scrubs.It is highly recommended for anti-aging formulations.
1 Million IU/G
Not soluble in water.
Color: Golden Yellow
Store in fridge.
Shelf Life: 6-12 months. CAS#79-81-2

anyone.. can give me advice if I make something out of those? Smile
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
Keliu wrote:
Note: For sterilising rollers - denture tablets such as Polident are quick and easy to use.

Taobunny

I know that Bethany used to use the denture tablets but thinks the enzymes might be responsible for her rollers breaking up. Has anyone else have this problem ie enzyme tablets causing their rollers to break?

Ever since Beth identified that as a problem, I've been paying very careful attention to this.

I haven't had any problems with my .25mm (which has gotten the most use), but I haven't rolled very often with it due to recurring rosacea/irritation flare-ups. I also have 1mm and 1.5mm 3-line rollers that have been used once each, so again, too soon to tell. But, I'll report back if I have any trouble. I wonder if something as simple as using different brand tablets might make a difference? Mine are Efferdent brand.. probably makes no difference, but might be worth some attention.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
pl79 wrote:
taobunny: ok i think i will be using it up before purchasing the new product... but the thing is... i tried it on last night on my stretchmark and it decreased a lot (the product, not the stretchmark) Sad and i was thinking... it's such an exp product... i should find cheaper alternative since i'm using it for such large area Sad

i found the recipe for vit c serum in this forum... and i also find the website selling the ingredients....

but for the vit a... is it the same as retin-a?
i found this product:

AHA PhytoFruit Mix
Clear water-soluable liquid

and also

Vitamin A
retinol palmitate
Vitamin A is widely used in cosmetics such as moisturisers, lotions, body butters, shampoos, conditioners, gels and scrubs.It is highly recommended for anti-aging formulations.
1 Million IU/G
Not soluble in water.
Color: Golden Yellow
Store in fridge.
Shelf Life: 6-12 months. CAS#79-81-2

anyone.. can give me advice if I make something out of those? Smile

I don't know about the straight vitamin A, but if you did want to buy retin A cheap you can get it from alldaychemist.com. It's extremely cheap through them, but the shipping's a little high.
Here in Oz we're used to paying high shipping for just about everything we order anyway as it's usually coming from overseas.HTH.
pl79
5% products discount

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
mishey:
yes the shipping is very exp...
do you know how long 1 tube would last approx. if i use it for my thigh and butt? i might considering buying more at once.... because the shipping $24.90 and the product is only less than $3...thanks Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I also purchased my Retin-A fromwww.alldaychemist too. It's definitely a good idea to order multiple tubes because of the postage costs. If you get a script from the doctor, a tube will cost around AUD$30.00 - so buying in bulk from Alldaychemist is more economical.

In regard to sterilising the roller - I think the idea is to just swish the roller around in the sterilising liquid and not to soak it for any length of time.
hahaqj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:07 am      Reply with quote
any good deal for this tools?
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:43 am      Reply with quote
I would be worried to apply any products after a roll. I am pretty sure that the product would immediately go into the bloodstream! eeek
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I tried a search about this which is kind of pointless with a thread thats 98 pages long... Smile

Someone once mentioned using a needle to poke lines in the face.... theres more to it than that - but someone here will know what Im referring too.

I used a lancet last night. I didnt bleed though so im not sure if that makes it worth it. I applied retin A micro after. I do have a red mark now. Do you think I should continue? Or do I need to go deeper as with the dermaroller itself?
THANKS
ace243
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
sorry its been so long since i posted,my computer was on the fritz lol.

Bethany-thank you so much for mailing me back.i also post on the female first web site but no one Ever replys to me. i dont understand why,they answer everyone else.

there was a lot of talk on female first about Acell, its a powder that i read someone used & it healed their stretch marks completly.i dont know how true that is but its finally out for human use now,but only through a doctor. Mike from acell told me its in the hundreds but he cant tell me exactly because Drs gotta make a profit.

i dont have the $$ right now but im going to try it as soon as i can. it says it works on open wounds only,so i thought if you used a Tca peel then rolled then mixed the acell with emu oil (since its a powder) and rub it in putting saran wrap over it over night just might work.

has anyone tried acell yet? (it says on the website Not avaliable for human use but i talked to the company & they said it is avaliable through a doctor,that any MD can obtain the product for you)

just a thought,
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
Someone once mentioned using a needle to poke lines in the face.... theres more to it than that - but someone here will know what Im referring too.

I think the term you might be looking for is "needling" or "needle subcision"?

http://www.best-treatment-for-acne.com/needle-subcision.html

It can help - but you need to be very careful to avoid further trauma, infection - or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I'm not completely clear - but was it Keliu or Coconut who had done the subcision with a sewing needle?
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="pl79"]do you know how long 1 tube would last approx. if i use it for my thigh and butt? /quote]

I really couldn't say but I buy 12 tubes at a time and for a large area like the thigh and butt i would probably get even more than that.
pl79
5% products discount

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey:
thanks for the info... so, just to make sure... there's never any problem for 12 tubes of retin-a go into australia right? Question

everyone: what is the difference between retin-a and vitamin a? do they have similar effect to the skin? or completely different... thanks Smile

bethany: from your previous post (sorry if it was someone else's :P ) it's better to use retin-a and vit c serum several days prior to rolling? and also after rolling... how should I apply them? together or alternatively? thanks Smile
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
mb935 wrote:

I think the term you might be looking for is "needling" or "needle subcision"?

http://www.best-treatment-for-acne.com/needle-subcision.html

It can help - but you need to be very careful to avoid further trauma, infection - or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I'm not completely clear - but was it Keliu or Coconut who had done the subcision with a sewing needle?

Actually, it was Foxe! Her great results inspired me to try it with lancets made for diabetic blood testing.

This was a mistake, though - the lancets have a bevelled cutting edge which is very likely to cause scarring.

Foxe's sewing needle method seemed to work for her, but I didn't go that route because I had no idea what guage my sewing needles are. A guage of less than .25 something (I can't remember the unit of measurement here!) will not cause enough damage to fully trigger the wound healing cascade, and over .25 could cause scarring, even without the bevelled edge.

My apologies for not remembering all the details correctly, but it boils down to this: getting the proper *width* needle is as important as length, and I don't want to put myself through this for nothing Neutral so it was worth it to me to buy a 3-line roller for spot treatments. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Read the last 25 pages or so of this thread, and you'll have every piece of info you need to do a safe and effective roll. I know, it's a LOT to sort through, but it's info you'll need to get the best results possible.

hth : )

Edited to add: You could do a search for mine and Foxe's posts, too... my subcision experiment with the lancets was in late August and early September, so try looking at posts from around that time.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:

Actually, it was Foxe! Her great results inspired me to try it with lancets made for diabetic blood testing... A gauge of less than .25 something (I can't remember the unit of measurement here!) will not cause enough damage to fully trigger the wound healing cascade, and over .25 could cause scarring, even without the bevelled edge.

My apologies for not remembering all the details correctly, but it boils down to this: getting the proper *width* needle is as important as length, and I don't want to put myself through this for nothing

Thanks, Lowbrowscientist...! I'm so glad someone's here to help me get the forum ladies straight! Very Happy

I'm wondering if accupuncture needles might be a good solution. They come in specific gauges - and are usually packaged in sterile - one use packets... (And, they're not very expensive to buy by the box...)

In any case - I did my own little experiment with needles the other day - on a very recent "ding" on my forehead that I was afraid was going to leave a pitted scar. Between dermarolling with a 1.5 three roller - and doing tiny spot taps with a sewing needle, I'm happy to report that it looks like I won't have a scar. (But it wasn't needling an old, established scar - but I was trying to stimulate collagen structure in a new, healing wound... So, it could be that it might have healed just fine on its own...)

BTW, yes, my DH does thing I'm insane for poking my face with sharp, pointy objects! Laughing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
pl79 wrote:
bethany: from your previous post (sorry if it was someone else's :P ) it's better to use retin-a and vit c serum several days prior to rolling? and also after rolling... how should I apply them? together or alternatively? thanks Smile

You should ideally be on a Retin A/Vit C routine for a minimum of 2 weeks BEFORE deramolling....the longer the better. This is because you need high levels of both within your cells so that skin can effectively remodel.

I am not a fan of putting ascorbic-acid based Vit C on open wounds, so I use an oil-based Vit C and Vit A instead.

However, some people do the following:

- Apply Retin A 30 mins after washing your face (after you are done rolling) and then apply the Vit C the next morning.

- Apply Vit C (it will sting)after washing your face (after you are done rolling), and apply Retin A 30 mins later.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I've been hovering over this thread for awhile and can proudly report that I did my first roll with a 1.5mm last night somewhat successfully! I'm going to follow the protocol of rolling around once a week for 6-8 weeks and then stopping for a good 3 months to allow some good collagen formation. If need be, then I'll follow the series again and then take a 9 month break. I'm very wary of accidentally mowing down new collagen! Laughing I did not use any numbing cream and yes, it got progressively painful as I went along. I'm hoping to improve my relatively shallow icepick scars that are around the perimeter of my face, so I spent extra time rolling those areas.

After finishing I was surprised that I had only a few bloody pinpricks- instead, I looked like I was terribly sunburned for an hour, then it died down to just looking regularly sunburned. That's where it stands this morning. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet next time and apply lots of pressure to make myself bleed more? I have been on .1% Taz gel for over a year, and I'm newly 29, so I suspect my skin is rather thick already. 30 minutes after rolling I applied my Taz, and after my CP serum finally arrives from Diana Yvonne (been backordered forever), I'll use that, too. I've never used CPs so I'm keen to see how it can help my skin.

Just wanted to share that I can now be part of this exclusive 'rollergirl' club and that I thoroughly appreciate all the painstaking research of the regulars- especially Bethany, Keliu, and ScotsLass. Any pointers are welcome.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 am      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Lowbrowscientist wrote:

... My apologies for not remembering all the details correctly, but it boils down to this: getting the proper *width* needle is as important as length, and I don't want to put myself through this for nothing

Thanks, Lowbrowscientist...! I'm so glad someone's here to help me get the forum ladies straight! Very Happy

I'm wondering if accupuncture needles might be a good solution. They come in specific gauges - and are usually packaged in sterile - one use packets... (And, they're not very expensive to buy by the box...)

In any case - I did my own little experiment with needles the other day - on a very recent "ding" on my forehead that I was afraid was going to leave a pitted scar. Between dermarolling with a 1.5 three roller - and doing tiny spot taps with a sewing needle, I'm happy to report that it looks like I won't have a scar. (But it wasn't needling an old, established scar - but I was trying to stimulate collagen structure in a new, healing wound... So, it could be that it might have healed just fine on its own...)

BTW, yes, my DH does thing I'm insane for poking my face with sharp, pointy objects! Laughing

As much as I'd love to take credit for remembering who's done/said what, I have to confess: I only knew that Foxe did the subsicision experiment because I asked the same question myself awhile back, shortly before trying it. Fortunately, she was there to set me straight Smile

The acupuncture needles sound like a great idea! I hadn't even thought of those.. I was only looking at tattoo needles and actual sewing needles, neither of which gave the actual specs.

That's great news that the needles seemed to be helping prevent any trouble. I have scars - they ARE actual scars, now - that I'm hoping to get rid of. Mine are from removing some moles on my face back in August; unfortunately the scars are much more noticable than the moles ever were. They aren't terrible, I guess, but the moles were skin colored and just barely raised above the surface of the skin, I was the only person who ever really noticed them. The scars look like acne scars; I think "icepick scars" is how they're usually described. In any event, they're deeply pitted and plainly visible. I actually removed 3 moles on my face and one on my neck, so I guess I should consider myself lucky that only two left scars.

Re: your husband, my family thinks I'm crazy too... they're getting used to hearing that I can't leave the house this week because I've just done something to my face, lol.

My sister: "you're addicted to the endorphin rush!" (she might be right, tho!)

My mother: "Lowbrow, I THINK YOU HAVE A PROBLEM"

My hubby, a couple weeks ago: "You're using THAT on your FACE?!"

I need to be careful what I do over the next couple months, lest they try to stage an intervention. Laughing
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
pl79 wrote:

It's actually recommended that you use them for several weeks to several months before rolling, and continuously until you finish treatments. In fact, you should probably continue to use them for at least a year after you've finished your last treatment to assist in the skin rejuvenation, which can take up to a year to complete, but I'm just speculating on that.

How you apply them probably depends on what products you use. I use 302 A and C Boost, and I just use them together, 2 to 3 times a day for about 3 or 4 days following an intense roll. If you use Retin-A, you'd want to apply that, by itself, at night and apply your vitamin c product during the day.

Bethany - how do you apply the a-boost and lightening drops post-roll? Do you mix a few drops of each and just apply the mixture all in one shot, or are you applying them each seperately at different times?
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Leigh wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I've been hovering over this thread for awhile and can proudly report that I did my first roll with a 1.5mm last night somewhat successfully! I'm going to follow the protocol of rolling around once a week for 6-8 weeks and then stopping for a good 3 months to allow some good collagen formation. If need be, then I'll follow the series again and then take a 9 month break. I'm very wary of accidentally mowing down new collagen! Laughing I did not use any numbing cream and yes, it got progressively painful as I went along. I'm hoping to improve my relatively shallow icepick scars that are around the perimeter of my face, so I spent extra time rolling those areas.

After finishing I was surprised that I had only a few bloody pinpricks- instead, I looked like I was terribly sunburned for an hour, then it died down to just looking regularly sunburned. That's where it stands this morning. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet next time and apply lots of pressure to make myself bleed more? I have been on .1% Taz gel for over a year, and I'm newly 29, so I suspect my skin is rather thick already. 30 minutes after rolling I applied my Taz, and after my CP serum finally arrives from Diana Yvonne (been backordered forever), I'll use that, too. I've never used CPs so I'm keen to see how it can help my skin.

Just wanted to share that I can now be part of this exclusive 'rollergirl' club and that I thoroughly appreciate all the painstaking research of the regulars- especially Bethany, Keliu, and ScotsLass. Any pointers are welcome.

Congratulations, Leigh! Sounds like you're off to a great start. I'm jealous of the people that can roll weekly with a 1.5mm and get away with it. If I tried rolling my whole face weekly with a 1.5, I'd NEVER be able to leave the house.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
Bethany - how do you apply the a-boost and lightening drops post-roll? Do you mix a few drops of each and just apply the mixture all in one shot, or are you applying them each seperately at different times?

I mix them up well in the palm of my hand and slather them on liberally. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:27 am      Reply with quote
ace243 wrote:
sorry its been so long since i posted,my computer was on the fritz lol.

Bethany-thank you so much for mailing me back.i also post on the female first web site but no one Ever replys to me. i dont understand why,they answer everyone else.

No problem...welcome back!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Strange, I've been using Leaf & Rusher TX Roller for more than a month with different actives and have not noticed any difference if I use my actives with or without it. Embarassed

My skin is somewhat sensitive but I can easily use this Roller twice a day without any redness.

I've been using it with Retin-A, DNA Serum, Vit C Serum, but they all work wonderfully by themselves and I have not seen any effect from using this Roller so far...
System
Automatic Message
Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Intensive Eye Concentrate for Wrinkles PLUS (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |