Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
breezy42 wrote:
Yep, you can use the .5mm weekly and the 1mm monthly (according to owndoc.com). Don't worry - I'm sure your skin will handle it much better than mine. I bruise and swell easily, and I have the worst skin elasticity ever. You will get addicted to rolling once you start because it feels so good to be doing something that might reduce aging. Can't wait to hear how it goes:)

Again, thank you for answering my questions.

I really hope I dont have too many problems or irritations from rolling. I'd consider my skin to be more on the sensitive side, but I just hope the pain isn't too unbearable since I won't be using a topical anesthetic. I will definitely become addicted to this. Over the course of a year, I'd love to see my skin take on a new form. Especially since this form of skin therapy is relatively cheap, hope it's worth it!

I'm also without a post-rolling serum. Initially I thought you were able to use a DIY vitamin c serum, but I've been told it's too irritating. Maybe I'll just pick up an A&D ointment without zinc.

I'll keep you all posted, and I'll let you know on Friday how my first roll went!
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
EC413, you're very welcome - no need to thank.
You can use an oil-based Vitamin C serum after a roll. I didn't have that either, so I used the A & D ointment from owndoc, and it was very soothing and seemed to expedite the healing (and it's not an anti-inflammatory). I think A&D without the zinc is an excellent choice for you to use post roll. Then in a few days, you can start with the Retin A at night and Vitamin C in the morning.
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
lovelaos425 wrote:
I didn't realize 26 year olds could get wrinkles! lol.

Lol, just last week I turned 24 and I've been aware of about 3 lines under each eye for at least the past 2 years!

I think everyone is different. But personally, I'm convinced that me being 'rough' around my eye area in my late teens (when applying/removing make up etc) hasn't helped. I didn't know you could cause premature aging by being rough around your eye area. I learnt about that a year or two ago, that the area is very delicate and to take care - which is what I am doing now, just wish I'd have known that a few years ago.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Just did my first dermarolling. Used a 1 mm. I don't know if I wasn't using enough pressure, I didn't want to over-do it, but I did have a few random pinpricks of blood on my face, and they seemed to be in the thinner areas. My face is RED, and it feels a little tight right now. Afterward I rinsed my face with cool water, and let the roller sit in alcohol, then let it air-dry, I hope that's how you're supposed to do it. Anywho, obviously it's too early to see results, but the experience wasn't all too bad. I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance, so the pain, for me, wasn't bad. Maybe a little odd, but I definitely don't need a anesthetic. I am without a post serum, so I am unsure what to put on my face. Hoping for good results down the road! Maybe I should kick it up to a 1.5, although I'm not trying to combat wrinkles, and the couple scars that I have on my face aren't really deep, any thoughts? Is a 1 mm suitable?
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
EC, I can't believe you didn't need numbing for a 1mm. You are so lucky:) I need to numb for a 1mm, as it hurts so bad. It's better if you don't need to numb though, and if you need a little numbing, you can always use ice. If you're handling the 1mm that well, you should definitely try the 1.5mm. You will get better results from that. I only use the 1mm near my eyes because the skin is so thin there, but I use a 1.5mm on the rest of my face. From the way you described your rolling session, it sounds like you did everything perfectly:)
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Breezy, thanks for responding.

Like I said, I have a very high pain tolerance, which I guess is a good or bad thing. I'm not gonna lie, I was scared to roll, but I am happy it wasn't really unpleasant..instead it was just an odd sensation. I'm thinking I'll probably get a 1.5 a few months down the road. I have a .5 coming in the mail that I was planning on using weekly for product penetration, etc. And I know this is probably just temporary swelling, but the few scars that I have on my face seem a little filled in, when I looked in the mirror moments ago. My face is still red, but I am hoping it will die down over the course of the night. Dermarolling is my new best friend! Don't what I would do without this website, I've discovered all these "secrets" here.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Redness was completely gone yesterday morning, which means the redness really only lasted that night. Not as much down-time as I expected, COOL. However, yesterday I noticed on my face, some random little tiny red bumps that look almost like pimples forming (you cant see them unless you look extremely close) I know they're not, because I read on here that others have experienced these dots. All in all, I think my skin looks great. Can't wait to do my next roll!

Question... since I rolled on Friday, and it's now Sunday, can I use my DIY Vit C serum now? Is it okay to use ascorbic acid a few days after?
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Also, how many times should I roll in each direction? On the box that my roller came with, it suggested 10x, but I only did 4x in each direction. Should I do more, or is 4 okay?
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:
Also, how many times should I roll in each direction? On the box that my roller came with, it suggested 10x, but I only did 4x in each direction. Should I do more, or is 4 okay?

The general consensus is 5 times in each direction. I once stupidly rolled many times in one direction and had roller track marks along the side of my face for 3 days!

Should be fine to use your Vit C and LAA now - do a test patch first if you're unsure.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Miranda.

Another question, SORRY. I am searching online for some sort of post rolling lotion/serum. Would avocado oil be okay to use after rolling? Since it contains vitamins A,B,D,& E.

Also, I've been researching A LOT about how often you should roll, and I've found that it varies. Some people say you should only roll (with a 1mm or longer) every 4-6 weeks, other places say it's okay to roll weekly. Some say it's okay to roll every 2-3 weeks. I am unsure what to do. I want to keep it safe, so I'll probably do it about every 3 weeks, but I'm just so anxious to keep rolling. I feel like this is actually going to work!
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:
Thanks Miranda.

Another question, SORRY. I am searching online for some sort of post rolling lotion/serum. Would avocado oil be okay to use after rolling? Since it contains vitamins A,B,D,& E.

Also, I've been researching A LOT about how often you should roll, and I've found that it varies. Some people say you should only roll (with a 1mm or longer) every 4-6 weeks, other places say it's okay to roll weekly. Some say it's okay to roll every 2-3 weeks. I am unsure what to do. I want to keep it safe, so I'll probably do it about every 3 weeks, but I'm just so anxious to keep rolling. I feel like this is actually going to work!

Yes I know what you mean by the conflicting advice being given in terms of how often you should roll. I prefer to ignore the advice on sales sites and stick to the experts views.

Dr. Fernandes 'invented' dermarolling as we know it now and his advice is to roll no more than once a month with longer needles. The reason is the new collagen being built from the rolling process takes time (4-6 weeks I believe) and if you roll over this newly forming collagen, you will only damage it therefore undo all your previous rolling work. Maybe he's wrong about this but why take the risk? I'm happy to be patient if it gets me the results (which it is on my stomach SM's). It all gets less clear with the shorter needles but I believe in the 'less is more' adage when it comes to rolling.

When rolling my face with my 1.5mm, I don't use any product as I don't want to either inflame my skin further or dampen the inflammation with what could be an anti-inflammatory product.
If you're rolling with short needles for prod.penetration, then I guess avocado oil would be ok but you may as well drink it to get the benefits rather than channelling it into your skin. I have been using the owndoc Infadolan after 0.5mm & 0.2mm rolling (which my skin loves) and just started using PSF copper peptide serum which doesn't seem to be doing anything for me yet.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed response Miranda.

For now, I'll go ahead and roll every 3-4 weeks with the 1mm, and maybe weekly or bi-weekly with the .5 for product penetration (vitamin c serum). I also think less is probably more with rolling. It's probably not good to constantly inflame your skin, when it's probably trying to repair itself and set up new collagen.

By the way, my skin is looking great. After only one 1mm rolling, my scars look slightly more filled in. I might get a 3 line 1.5 roller to target the couple scars that are deeper.

I honestly am ecstatic though with the results thus far, and only after one treatment. So thankful I discovered this, it seems so scary, but once you do it, you're hooked.

Glad I have you guys to ask questions to, as well... I really appreciate it.
jersey girl

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I try reading most posts to keep up with you who have placed so much of your time doing research and refrain from asking questions. I have Polynesian type complexion and concerned about topically applying vit-C and green tea prior to rolling. Will it affect pigmentation over time?
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:

I might get a 3 line 1.5 roller to target the couple scars that are deeper.

EC - I'd recommend a single needle for the couple of deeper scars. It's so much more precise.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
jersey girl wrote:
I try reading most posts to keep up with you who have placed so much of your time doing research and refrain from asking questions. I have Polynesian type complexion and concerned about topically applying vit-C and green tea prior to rolling. Will it affect pigmentation over time?

jersey girl - I'm not an expert, but I think the Vit C will just give you a much brighter complexion more than a 'lighter' one. It will help with pigmentation *problems* - mostly correcting them, so if you have some issues, it's a good thing to use. Vit C also helps prevent free radical damage and long-term topical use has been clinically shown to regenerate collagen and improve the appearance of wrinkles.

The green tea just helps the LED work much faster (10 times faster according to the study) than the LED alone.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
[b]Hi! So after a year plus for some of you of rolling, how are everyone's results!!!??? I'm new and learning from you all.
Thanks!!
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
jersey girl wrote:

Hi JG, just to add to what Foxe said; I have a mediterranean olive colour and my face is sort of brighter but not whiter from using vit C powder almost daily since Dec.
But I must point out, don't use L-Ascorbic Acid (usual form of vit c) within hours either before or after rolling, you'll burn your skin.

There was a study which discovered an extract from green tea (GTC) prevented the skin from oxidising when using an LED. If should be fine to use green tea with rolling but it's not necessary.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Green tea is an anti-inflammatory. I use it after a short needle roll but not after a long needle roll.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I just read that I shouldn't use L-Ascorbic Acid (DIY Vit C serum) after or before rolling. Is it okay if I use it with a .5mm? Last night I rolled with a .5 and before rolling applied the Vit C, as well as after. It did tingle and burn a bit, but my skin seems okay. I assume then it's okay to use it with a .5mm or shorter?
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
EC, you're lucky. I used LAA with my .25 and my skin was burned pretty badly. It took me a full week to recover. I wouldn't try LAA with any dermaroller but it sounds like it works better for you than me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:09 am      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:
I just read that I shouldn't use L-Ascorbic Acid (DIY Vit C serum) after or before rolling. Is it okay if I use it with a .5mm? Last night I rolled with a .5 and before rolling applied the Vit C, as well as after. It did tingle and burn a bit, but my skin seems okay. I assume then it's okay to use it with a .5mm or shorter?

Hmmm.... I believe you shouldn't use LAA in conjunction with any needle length of rolling so I never have but then I'm someone who will use acid (as in Retin A) after rolling with a 0.2mm so I can hardly preach!
However I have to say, LAA does get a special mention of "don't not use" by Dr. Fernandes so I'm going to listen to that.
But the great (or in some cases daft) thing about this forum is that there are people willing to test and be guinea pig and then report back to others.
I hope it goes ok for your skin, just make sure you let us know any good or bad reactions.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Oh my LOL. I hope I didn't damage my skin. After rolling, it was red, but the redness is definitely gone. I'll be okay right? Haha, the last thing I wanna do is damage my skin while trying to help it. That is IT for using Ascorbic Acid after rolling, for some reason I was under the assumption that it was okay, as long as you didn't do it with a needle longer than .5 mm. I have Jason's Natural Cosmetics Ester-C Cream, I wonder if I can use that?

I found the ingredients to the Ester-C Cream online....

Ingredients:
Aqua (Purified Water), Glyceryl Stearate, Vegetable Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Dimethicone, Ester-c Sorbitol (and) Glycerine (and) Calcium Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Gel (Certified Organic), Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Tocopheryl Nicotinate (Vit. E), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Allantoin, Bisabolol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Thioctic Acid (Alpha Lipoic Acid), Vegetable Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance Oil Blend.

Are these ingredients suitable to use after rolling?
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
EC, good news. It's specifically LAA that's bad for rolling. Some other forms of vitamin c are OK. I'm not as familiar with Ester C in topicals but I know that in supplement form it's not as acidic as LAA. You may want to do some research before you try it again but it may be OK. If your skin recovered within a day or two, it didn't burn your skin, it only irritated it. If it burned your skin, you would have had serious dryness, and peeling for about a week.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies. I have browsed though the forum being very interested in rolling. I am finally ready to order a roller today! My question is, what brand of roller is the best to purchase? Thanks so much for any replies!
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
LaraJ wrote:

1) DISPOSABLE-- Are the dermarollers being discussed here disposed of after one use?...(i.e. Dr.Roller, owndoc, ebay Jaysun, Leaf&Rusher)
--I contacted Sarah at owndoc, she replied, saying the dermarollers she supplies are disposable, she didn't indicate how many times each one can be used. I'll email her again and ask her to specify, but with regard to the rollers being discussed here in general, could someone reply to this question please?
---Whether the rollers are used once, or more than once?

3) NEEDLE ROWS-- For facial, arms, thighs, does the ideal dermaroller have one row of needles, or more than one row of needles?

Even if you can answer only one question, it will be much appreciated. And you can count on us -- once we get these in our hands -- to post results and pics.

Thanks so much!

Hi Lara,
I can answer two questions.
The rollers can be used many times but do have a shelf life in terms of how long they remain sharp. And it depends on which part of your body you roll as to how quickly they go blunt. Now I did read somewhere of how long they should last but I guess it's a personal thing; they should last longer just rolling your face than they would your stomach etc. You should hear a popping sound with the longer rollers (0.5mm+) as you roll your skin, so then you know it's puncturing. There was a post on another thread "Dermarolling for Product Penetration' that covered possible dullness of the needles. Maybe you want to take a read of that one (sorry, more reading!). I've used my 1.5mm once a month since Oct on both my stomach and face and it's still sharp.

Secondly, needle rows; if you had just the one row, you'd be rolling forever! Best are the multi rows although I also use a needle for a chicken pox scar and some very deep but few SM's. The needle is great for precision puncturing and some do have the patience to needle large areas. I also find the needle less painful - even though it goes deeper (I always draw points of blood with it). But the roller is good for larger areas.

Hope that's of some use.

Also lastly can I recommend this thread for all those who are new to rolling. It contains most of the articles used in the rolling threads.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860&highlight=dermarolling
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |