Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:32 am      Reply with quote
ScotsLass, I wasn't thinking that the plumped up look was coming from collagen production, I just wondered why the nova clinic would be suggesting morning rolling? My guess is that there could be a plumped look for some people that is youthful looking. I would think like you said the products are causing the look, or maybe also the skin's reaction to the slight rolling. Whatever I just wanted to make sure that a morning roll is not less effective than a night roll.
Toby
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
This is from the Nova Clinic website:

"It can be used by yourself anytime at your own convenience. (No restrictive treatment session times."

They sell a number of different rollers and the blurb seems to apply to all of them, not to any particular length.

I'm definitely not arguing with your point of view - I agree with everything you're saying, I just think I'm addicted to rolling and don't want to give it up! Actually, the Nova Clinic is not very far from where I live so I think I'll pay them a visit and see what they say.

Yes, I see what you mean, but to me that blurb can be interpreted several ways depending on how you read it. It strikes me as a generic statement that they came up with to emphasize that you don't have to travel to a clinic and be bogged down with a restrictive session schedule that is imposed by others. In other words, you have the freedom to conduct your sessions at your own convenience and in the privacy of your own home.

The smaller rollers (under 1.5 mm) are often used to enhance product penetration and are completely suitable to use several days a week. But there is a significant difference between them and the 1.5 mm model. The smaller sizes create micro-channels in the skin by stamping the upper layers, whereas the 1.5 mm creates a special wounding effect in the actual dermis by puncturing this deeper layer. Once the dermis is punctureed it sets off a string of signals in the body that trigger a more intensive wound-healing cascade. This is different from the smaller rollers as the longer needles actually break down old/damaged collagen and induce the production of brand new 'young' collagen to form. The smaller rollers do not have the ability to induce this specific collagen production because their needles are too short and cannot reach the dermis. Gosh, this is complicated subject matter, isn't it! Rolling Eyes

I'm going to go through some of my materials and see if I can post some additional info that paints a clearer picture of how the 1.5 mm models (and higher) affect the skin differently compared to the smaller versions, and why this means that they are to be used less often.

Oooh, I wish I was in Australia right now. And not because I want to pop into the Nova Clinic for a visit, though I'd love to do that too! Wink I really hope that you have a chance to visit the clinic and ask LOTS of questions about the treatment sessions they perform there, and how their in-house sessions compare to those that can be done on your own at home. I found the Nova Clinic to be very helpful when I was corresponding with them via email a few months ago, and hope that they'll be more than accommodating to you if you walk in. Especially since you bought your first roller through them. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
ScotsLass, I wasn't thinking that the plumped up look was coming from collagen production, I just wondered why the nova clinic would be suggesting morning rolling? My guess is that there could be a plumped look for some people that is youthful looking. I would think like you said the products are causing the look, or maybe also the skin's reaction to the slight rolling. Whatever I just wanted to make sure that a morning roll is not less effective than a night roll.
Toby

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Toby. Embarassed I would email the Nova Clinic and ask them why they suggest people prep roll in the mornings instead of the evenings. The answer is likely what you suspect; that the plumped look from rolling in the AM is a form of instant gratification as it provides the side effect of a more youthful appearance. And you can't witness these same plumping perks while you're sleeping. Wink

If you are thinking of following a routine like this, you could always change it a bit and stagger the rolling time from one day to the next. Morning rolls can be Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and evening rolls can be on Tuesday and Thursday (or vice-versa). This way you'll have the best of both worlds and can monitor which time of day is more effective to you. In fact I may try this routine out myself since I'm already product prepping with a smaller roller twice a week at night as it is. Why not add a brief roll before my products in the AM to see what this produces, right!

Thanks for raising this issue and giving me something new to consider! It just goes to show that you can tweak your rolling routines in endless ways! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I just think I'm addicted to rolling and don't want to give it up!

Keliu - I'm addicted right along with you! Have you considered buying another smaller roller to use throughout the week as a product prep tool? The use of a smaller roller acts as a very satisfying mini-fix when you're not using the 1.5 mm! Just a thought....I'm already anxious when I think about not using the 1.5 mm again for 90 long days, too! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Theres not much research on rollers out there but there's quite a bit on MEDLINE about glycolic peels including skin biopsies. What they seem to say is that the skin can be thinned by too frequent deep peels but that two weeks between deep peels seems to result in skin thickening. Now this is a real simplification because a "deep" peel for one person is different for the next (in terms of skin depth affected)and the % acid and pH matter. But the general rule discussed is that if you peel again too early you will have a more severe reaction so you'll know you've gone too far. Of course I do not know how damage from an acid peel relates to rolling. It seems that rolling in general would be milder because the effect is localized to where the needle went in but then again needles can go deeper.

I think we know by how our skin reacts whether we are rolling too aggresively or too often. If you roll in the evening and look awful the next day I think you've likely overdone it.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Everyone, I'm taking in all the valuable information. I would LOVE to roll more than once a week but, since I have the 1.5, I'm going to try very hard to refrain myself. Angel

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've just started reading the EDS Forums and send a great big thankyou out to you all. I've learnt so much in so little time.

I have brought an L&R Dermaroler kit and have ordered NuFace.

I can't get the DVD to work so I don't know how to use it and the written instructions aren't very helpful.

When they say roll over skin 10 times. Does that mean 10 times for say the whole forehead area or just a strip of skin in the area.

How hard do you roll. Is it hard enough to push the needles into the skin or just firm enough to show a pink glow.

After rolling can you use a cloth face mask?

Your help will be much appreciated with this Aussie beauty virgin.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
OzGal wrote:
I've just started reading the EDS Forums and send a great big thankyou out to you all. I've learnt so much in so little time.

I can't get the DVD to work so I don't know how to use it and the written instructions aren't very helpful.

When they say roll over skin 10 times. Does that mean 10 times for say the whole forehead area or just a strip of skin in the area.

How hard do you roll. Is it hard enough to push the needles into the skin or just firm enough to show a pink glow.

Welcome from another Ozzie Gal! Roll 10 times in each direction - there is no need to press hard, start off gently. And it's fine to use a face mask afterwards.
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:10 am      Reply with quote
OzGal wrote:

And greetings from ANOTHER aussie!!! 3 Aussie rollergirls!!

cheers

rebecca

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Excuseeye to quote Dame Edna make that 4!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:21 am      Reply with quote
katebargold wrote:

Yippee 4 !!! any more???

rebecca

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:52 am      Reply with quote
To summarize the last few days. It is recommended to use the 1.5 rollers once a week for 6 weeks.
I only have the 1.5. I was using this for the 1st week. 3 times. I had red skin after for a day. (like a sunburn). I have pealed.

You say to use this once a week. When I use the 1.5. I don't push the needles all the way in. I do prick my skin. Is this correct?

I use CP after now. I was using it before and after, however someone said not to use it before. Just after. I want to do this correctly. So anyone with experience and results can you expand on the new information that has been posted in the past few days. Thanks.

Should I buy a smaller roller for the week?
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
How long does a roller last? How do we know if we need a new roller?
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Good question, Catski. I have a question, too. I rolled for the third time yesterday. I was just going to do one little area and, well, ended up doing my whole face Laughing . I went really easy. Should I have to count this as a "real" roll? I don't want to but.....

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Mars, I did that too. Now that I have learned that I should only roll with my 1.5 roller once a week. I want that roll to count towards it. I didn't roll like I would have if it were a weekly one.

Are you going to buy a smaller one for everyother days?
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
At some point, I will be buying a smaller roller. For now, I think my next purchase will be one of those "cupping" devices. Smile
Please forgive me, sherryfl3500, but, I didn't quite understand whether or not you are suggesting my "easy" roll yesterday needs to count as a my weekly roll.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I indeed did say do you count your easy roll as your weekly?

Also, do you think you can do cupping and rolling at the same time?
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sherryfl3500, I don't know whether or not to count my "easy" roll as my roll for the week? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure that the roller works now for caps after three rolls my chin cap is definately less apparent. I was a bit worried at first because it looked darker an fuzzier after the first roll but I will not be hesitant to roll at cap again.

Hi to all the new rollers! have fun it works.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Alright, Sharky! Good to know.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
snowqueen67 wrote:
katebargold wrote:

Yippee 4 !!! any more???

rebecca

ME - Sue Smith from Melbourne, using the clearskin face roller for product penetration and about to step up to 1.5 weekly. (well thinking about it!!!)
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't been able to read this entire post yet, but IMO it's very interesting on several levels.

I suffer from thinning hair, and am living for the day when they perfect hair cloning/stem cell hair replacment therapy. I was reading just yesterday about how in the UK they were going to conduct a study combining some form of stem cell hair replacement with "targeted wounding" of the scalp to promote collagen production and stimulate the hair growth. What I read in that article sounds very similar to the rationale behind dermarolling that I'm reading here.

I also find it interesting that some of y'all are becoming addicted to it. The sensation described by users of the 1.5mm roller sound very similar to what it feels like to get a tattoo. I have a couple, and after getting the first one I came out of the shop and told my friend I could understand why and how people could get addicted to getting tatts. It's an unpleasant yet highly stimulating feeling. The biochemicals released during the process are pretty intense. I had to hold myself back from getting too much body art for a while there, not because I wanted another tattoo, but because I wanted to go through the process of getting a tattoo. Crazy but true.

So maybe the dermaroller is just what I need to get my fix AND round out the ultimate skin rejuv routine. Laughing
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Yippee Ki Yeah!!!! I got my Derma Roller today!!! Its a 1.5, already broke it in, and I loved it...

Thanks ladies...can't wait to see the results.
Right now I have that sunburned glo Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think I'll order a shorter one for daily, and maybe a 2 for my stretch marks.
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
suesmith wrote:
snowqueen67 wrote:
katebargold wrote:

Yippee 4 !!! any more???

rebecca

ME - Sue Smith from Melbourne, using the clearskin face roller for product penetration and about to step up to 1.5 weekly. (well thinking about it!!!)

Hi sue, I'm from Melbourne too!! Now there are 5 Aussies...

cheers

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
OzGal wrote:

I have to ditto this...I have learned a ton from this forum!!

I did break down and buy a LED device today, but I haven't sprung for the Derma Roller *yet* because I can't get past the thought that I am tenderizing meat, lol.

But I have no doubt that I am going to do it, so please continue sharing all of your insights and results!!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |