Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:15 am      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
... For me, I think the trick is going to be (and I'll list my ideas, just in case it might be helpful for someone else...)

1. Stop taking ibuprofen (or aspirin, or any other medication that thins the blood) at least two weeks prior to rolling.

2. Schedule the roll for the morning - so I can be upright - with my face/head above my heart for most of the day.

3. Take a long, tepid shower after roll to really rinse off all the detritus left over from the roll.
(See, I'm avoiding using scary words like "blood, serum, serous ooze" and suchlike...) Laughing

4. Use ice packs on the areas where I've rolled the most aggressively.
(I know this will interfere a bit with the whole desired inflammation cascade, but I'm vain and would rather avoid the whole spotty complexion, if possible...)

5. Avoid lying down - or placing head at the level of the heart - for at least several hours after the roll.

I think that's it. We'll see. I'll try my own advice before the next roll - and let ya'll know how it works out... (Again, unless my face falls off...) Rolling Eyes

I'm definitely going to use this as a guide next time. I'm in the habit of rolling in the evening just a couple hours before I go to sleep, but I think you're probably right about that making the swelling worse. I might even try some ice packs, too, though I'm leery of doing *too* much that might interfere with the wound healing. But judging by my past results, I don't think I'll have much to worry about Neutral
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone had difficulty with infection? I am a surgical assistant, and just looking at this thing, I can tell it is almost impossible to sterilize at home.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Alien wrote:
Has anyone had difficulty with infection? I am a surgical assistant, and just looking at this thing, I can tell it is almost impossible to sterilize at home.

I haven't, but I am actually very concerned about that.

This is my routine: I spray my rollers with alcohol before each use, and with bactine *during* use (only because I don't know if it's safe to be pushing the alcohol into my skin). After use, I rinse them with hot running water for a couple minutes and then soak in a denture tablet solution for 15 minutes. Rinse again in the hot running water, let air dry, spray with alchohol. Once fully dry, I store them and repeat the process next time.

I also have adopted Bethany's habit of rinsing my face in the shower for several minutes after rolling. When I get out of the shower, I apply betadine solution... and I may add a very thin coating of Neosporin this next time, as well.

I haven't had any infection so far, thankfully, but if any rollers notice something I'm missing or should be doing differently, I'll adjust my routine.

Alien, have any suggestions for home sterilization? Are there any good solutions we can use that are accessible to non-medical employees/laypeople? Or anything we can use/do to our skin to help prevent infection?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Alien wrote:

To my knowledge, no-one on the Forum has developed an infection from rolling. I've been rolling for over 18 months and have never had a problem. I remember reading somewhere (amongst all the CIT information) that the risk of developing an infection is extremely remote. However, it is obviously important to pay attention to this issue.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Alien wrote:

Hi Alien,

Nope - not here (knock on wood) - but I try to be very clean when I roll - and clean my rollers well afterwards.

I think the thing to keep in mind is to make sure that the rollers are as clean as possible - that the skin surface is prepped well and cleaned - and that the rolled surfaces are cleansed well and thoroughly after the roll.

I'm on a medication that, technically, should lower my resistance to infection - but I haven't seen any sign of infection after any roll..
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to post on my experience thus far with ROLLING since it has been about 10 months since I began. Since that time, I have rolled once every 2 weeks beginning with a 1mm, then quickly moving up to the 1.5mm. The last couple of months I even tried a 2mm. My results: I have to say, have been, minimal at best. Maybe I have rolled too often or maybe I haven't rolled hard enough, but my crows feet and upper lip lines are just as prominent as before I started. I am only going to roll about once every 6 wks now. I am really disappointed thus far, and as I've said before, I don't know what I might look like if I hadn't been rolling all this time, but as far as an improvement goes, in my most pronounced wrinkles, there has been ***NONE*** Sad

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I actually am with you mountaingirl. I have not rolled nearly as long as you, but I have done 2 cycles of weekly rolls for 6 weeks (1st cycle using a 1 mm, 2nd cycle using a 1.5 mm). I then waited and did a roll when I was done with 6 weeks of Nu Derm (1.5 mm), and next weekend I will do another roll ending my 12th week of Nu Derm. I have not see any improvement either! I will probably just get a smaller roller and use it 2-3 times a week for product penetration and be done with the longer needle lengths.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for what's probably a stupid question - but is rolling with the longer needles every two weeks too much? I thought I read that other people were recommending every 6 weeks for a few rolls - and then taking a break for a few months?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I just want to make sure that I don't overdo things.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Sorry for what's probably a stupid question - but is rolling with the longer needles every two weeks too much? I thought I read that other people were recommending every 6 weeks for a few rolls - and then taking a break for a few months?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I just want to make sure that I don't overdo things.

Yes it is too much. The correct protocol is to roll with longer needles once a week for six weeks, then take a break. Having said that, I've been guilty of rolling more than that but not for any sustained period. If you would like to roll more often, then get a roller that is suitable for product absorption.

In addition, it should be remembered that it takes three months for collagen to start to generate so results are not going to be immediate. So my advice to Rileygirl would be to hang in there and be patient.

Mountaingirl, I would definitely give your skin a break from rolling but keep on using the Retin-A and Vitamin C. After your skin has had a rest you might start to see some improvement. Of course, if like me you are over 50, it is an up-hill battle to get younger looking skin so this should be taken into consideration. My skin has definitely improved through rolling. My pores are less obvious and the texture of my skin is much better - but I still look 58.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
In addition, it should be remembered that it takes three months for collagen to start to generate so results are not going to be immediate. So my advice to Rileygirl would be to hang in there and be patient.

You know, Keliu, after I posted my comment here, I started reading an article again by Dr. Fernandes, and I came to the same conclusion as your advice! I am just so not good at being patient!
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I really appreciate all the honest commentary here. I'm trying to decide whether or not to roll with my 1.5mm today. I would only be doing my chin area where I have scarring from acne. My last roll was 3 weeks ago. I'll be seeing my in-laws over Christmas. I believe I am seeing some improvement from my rolls, but I do not want to overdo. What do you think I should do?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Mountaingirl (and anyone else) when you use a roller with 1.0 spikes or longer, does the entire spike enter the skin? I don't get this at all... I would have to jam the roller into myself to get that kind of penetration. I would say that I could use any length roller and still have the same degree of penetration. I roll very superficially but I still have to press quite a bit. I did it last night (after applying Remergent DNA and SkinActives cream) and my face went pink and tingled for about 15 minutes. I've been doing this for about three weeks along with BQ for just over two weeks and my skin is definitely looking glowy and taut (except for under the dratted eyes). However, I'm sure it can't be penetrating very far, certainly not to the dermis. I'm only using it preventively as I can't get it into the area that needs help properly due to my deep eye sockets. I need a roller with a much smaller barrel (not a shortened barrel) to get in there. I can't say for sure if it's the roller or the BQ or both that's causing the increased glow/sheen on the skin. DH commented last night and so did my hairstylist. I just wish I could find something that flattened out these undereye "wrinkles" or whatever they are. I realize that I have to be patient but I'm wondering if the superficial treatment will actually bring results.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:

Tao, there are different protocols...I do not believe that we should be rolling more frequently than every 2 weeks at MOST, and the pro's recommend doing it far less frequently.

But my personal preference is every 6 weeks or so. And if I don't feel like rolling, I don't worry about it...as long as I get in one aggressive roll every 3 months, I will feel good about it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Mountaingirl (and anyone else) when you use a roller with 1.0 spikes or longer, does the entire spike enter the skin? I don't get this at all... I would have to jam the roller into myself to get that kind of penetration. I would say that I could use any length roller and still have the same degree of penetration. I roll very superficially but I still have to press quite a bit.

Look into a 3Line roller for around your eyes. It made a huge difference for me.

Unless you are rolling aggressively and sinking in those needles, you will not see signficant improvement. And if you are hitting the dermis, you will see blood. Keep in mind that most of us use numbing cream...otherwise we couldn't sink those needles!

Here are pics of what an aggressive roll looks like...after seeing these, many people realized that they were not rolling agressively enough. They were able to get much closer to replicating this after applying more pressure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Geez, Bethany. Ouch, sorry, that`s not for me...I`d be scared I`d kill myself! Thanks for posting those pics. I will order and try the 3-line roller.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Oh Geez, Bethany. Ouch, sorry, that`s not for me...I`d be scared I`d kill myself! Thanks for posting those pics. I will order and try the 3-line roller.

Antonia, I am not certain the 3Line will do you any good if you are not penetrating the needles.

You might be better off just using your regular roller superficially for product penetration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
That's what I'm thinking. I came across a UK site where they were saying you could either do it once a week (?) lightly or a few times deeply. I'm too chicken for the former.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
That's what I'm thinking. I came across a UK site where they were saying you could either do it once a week (?) lightly or a few times deeply. I'm too chicken for the former.

Doing it lightly will only help with product penetration and thickening your epidermis. Unless you initiate the wound healing cascade through a more intensive (penetrating) roll, you will not have any collagen development.

It's definitely not for everyone...I am fortunate that I have had results that have made the torture worthwhile. (In case you don't follow the thread regularly, the first bloody pic is of my chest) But every minute has been hell...I hate rolling, but I love the results.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bethany. I have the Emla cream so I will grit my teeth and try just one undereye (it's the sides of my eyes that I cannot access with the roller). From what I am hearing from PSs and Derms, only new elastin will help the skin under my eyes. Apparently, we can't make more elastin after the age of 12 or so. I've just been reading a little about this Dermalastyl product that apparently reactivates the spent elastin fibres. It sounds interesting but then so does everything!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:32 am      Reply with quote
Antonia, you might want to check out Obagi Elastiderm eye cream. I think there was a newer study that came out on that showing increased elastin. I will check tomorrow and send you a pm of the study if I find it.

Quick question for all that use a numbing cream. I am gearing up next week for as deep of a roll as I can stand as it will be my last for at least 6 months. So my question, after you apply the numbing cream, you wash it off before you roll or does it stay on the skin during the roll?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:52 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Quick question for all that use a numbing cream. I am gearing up next week for as deep of a roll as I can stand as it will be my last for at least 6 months. So my question, after you apply the numbing cream, you wash it off before you roll or does it stay on the skin during the roll?

My understanding is that you WIPE off the cream, not wash it off. But others might have another opinion.
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi rileygirl my dermaroller has just arrived so will be trying it tomorrow, and have my emla cream ready. From what I have read you put on your numbing cream leave it for the required amount of time, I am going to leave the emla about an hour and I have to cover it with something? But before I roll I will be wiping the cream off.

I have spent hours reading the thread and am undecided as yet what to put on following my roll, I know some put on vitamin c or hyaluronic acid, but as yet I have still to order the hyaluronic acid Shock I have my dettol and babies bottle sterilising at the ready and antibacterial wipes, my shopping list grows by the day. I am also interested in the obagi line and the one round the eyes you mentioned Razz

Last night I had my first go at the skin spatula and prolight platinum and ageless, had to do all, couldn't wait, will update results on other threads when had chance to use a bit more
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Antonia...The 2nd photo that Bethany posted is obviously a Doc using at least a 3mm Roller cause I don't believe any of us get close to rolling that aggressively. When I rolled I would get little bloody pin-pricks here and there on my face, but certainly was not covered in blood. I never used numbing cream, except for my last roll, which I was able to do more agressively..and yes, there was more blood, but still nothing like that photo!!!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:16 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Antonia...The 2nd photo that Bethany posted is obviously a Doc using at least a 3mm Roller cause I don't believe any of us get close to rolling that aggressively. When I rolled I would get little bloody pin-pricks here and there on my face, but certainly was not covered in blood. I never used numbing cream, except for my last roll, which I was able to do more agressively..and yes, there was more blood, but still nothing like that photo!!!

I have used numbing cream in the past and I have tried to roll as aggressively as I can using a 1.5mm roller but I also have never bled extensively. I've also tried using allot of pressure but only get a small number of bloody pin-pricks, however, the instructions that come with the roller advise not to press too hard. I've also rolled over the one area numerous times, not just the recommended five times and still have not had the reaction that Bethany has. My daughter also uses a roller and has pretty much the same results as myself.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Keliu and monalisa, when you say wipe off the Emla, are we talking about taking a tissue and just wiping the skin, or are we talking a wet cloth and wiping it off? Sorry to be anal, but I worry about rolling the Emla into my skin - not sure how "healthy" that is!

I do what Keliu does. I roll the area way more than 5 times and I only get the pin prick blood areas. I have never gotten anywhere near the blood that Bethany has in that picture. I had also read on all the instructions with the dermarollers that you don't want to press hard. But, saying that, I beleive the reason Bethany is getting good results from the dermaroller way quicker than anyone else is due to her pressure with the roller. I just can't do that, or I may bleed to death!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |