Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
lillilulu wrote:
Thanks Scally, for your response. I feel more prepared for my next round of rolling sessions. I must just say that I got major peeling when I used the retin-a-micro afterwards, but as I don't have much of a social life, it wasn't a problem, but I have found, that when I use retin-a now, even though I have stopped rolling, I'm still getting peeling as bad, and this didn't happen before I started rolling. Has anyone else noticed this, and should I stop using it for awhile, or is the peeling a good thing? I use it around 2/3 times a week.

Peeling is a complete pain but it's definitely been worth it for me. Also, I find the peeling I get from rolling and Retin-A is far less irritating than that from glycolic acid etc because even though my skin is peeling, it's not excessively dry. If the peeling is driving you crazy, having a break from Retin-A is fine -or perhaps you could try using a lower percentage. Try to keep going though because your skin will probably eventually adjust - but there's no doubt that rolling together with Retin-A causes a deeper peel.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:08 am      Reply with quote
For the past week since I rolled twice this week. I use matrixyl 3000 before and after the roll. After some time I use trozrac (retin a). I am peeling some. Not like I peeled the first time I used my roller. My lip lines are less apparent.

I am working on whats best to put on before and after.
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Keliu, thanks for your reply. I don't really mind the peeling but just wanted to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good, so I'll keep using it at least once a week.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Is anyone using a roller wih needles longer then 1.5?

How is it going? What are you using them for, and how are you managing the process?

I'm currently wondering if it worth my while getting longer needles, to continue working on some deep indentations I have at the root of abdominal stretchmarks.

Not found info so far on this level of rolling...
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:11 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Is anyone using a roller wih needles longer then 1.5?

How is it going? What are you using them for, and how are you managing the process?

I'm currently wondering if it worth my while getting longer needles, to continue working on some deep indentations I have at the root of abdominal stretchmarks.

Not found info so far on this level of rolling...

Catski, there was a member called "zenity" who was using longer rollers on her sisters strechmarks with great success. You could try contacting her? Her posts are around page 10 of this thread.

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Ah! Yes! I read the posts by Zenity and her link to her posts on another site, too, but I missed the original post in which she said she was actually using the longer needles!

That's great, I'll pm her and ask her the protocol to avoid infection.

Thanks snowqueen67!
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Hello again!

Catski did pm me asking me few questions. I thought it would be nice to share my reply with you all:

Quote:
I have worked with 2mm and 3mm deep. I have the MTS professional grade rollers.
What I did to avoid infection was to use topical iodine before starting rolling and, sometimes, after applying the tretoin, I used a bit of neem oil or tea tree oil(not the essential oil forms, but the cold pressed ones. They both have antiseptic properties. She never got an infection or anything similar. It is my personal opinion than our skin can really get over a little infection from a little puncture, but what I have been focused on avoiding is to spread any existing bacteria already existing in our skin or in the roller by the process itself.
Iodine is safe and is what is mostly used in hospitals topically before they cut the skin for any intervention.
Everything else is already posted.

My poor sister has been my guinea pig to target issues that I do not have.
I have used her too to test cupping to reduce cellulite, and she is so happy that now she does it by herself.
It is the minimum I can do for her considering she is going to a difficult divorce and now has to face life alone and with pretty much nothing but her two hands....

I hope this helps!

lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Zenity, great idea using the iodine Cheap and easy to get!

People - just don't use it on your face - it does stain the skin yellow until it is absorbed Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have read at earthclinic there is some type of clear iodine to not get stained: http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/iodine.html
They say:
Quote:
Nita, from St Pete, Fl: Iodine definitely works for me, however, I find it best to use the clear "decolorized" iodine, available at most drugstores. I paint it on the inside of the wrists (where the veins are closest to the skin) and on the sides of the throat.

We found "decolorized iodine" at Walmart last summer "

I have not used clear iodine, but found that the regular one did not stain that much, in fact I would say it was very easy to clean. I guess it might depend on what brand you use.

Just give it a try and see how it works if you want to roll deeper and prevent infections.

Edited to add: just google decolorized iodine and you will be able to find the product and all the info available.
Wink
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Zenity, wow, great to know about the clear iodine! Even better!!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I always say: you will never leave the EDS forums without learning something new. Isn't it cool?
Glad I could help. Very Happy
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I did a roll yesterday and my face is bright red today. I must have done a hard roll. Anything i put on my face stings except for cool water. All I can say is wow.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I am months into this and only peeled in the beginning but now my neck is really peeling. Ithink this is a good thing because the skin underneath looks really good. Maybe part of the process of healing.

Also my original roller is failing. I used a tweezers to straighten bent pins (and have pulled some out). I think the new ones will last longer. I have been using 1.5mm only I do not know whether I should perhaps try longer?
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Sharky,

As someone mentioned before deeper is not necessarily better.
I would say it depends on what do you want to target.
If you are rolling your face, I would not go deeper, unless you have serious scaring.

I have been doing 1mm and 2mm for face and takes more time to recover from 2mm when I roll.

For body, I have use 2mm and 3mm and it is not a big deal.

I hope you can find a new roller soon.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 6:35 am      Reply with quote
How many of us that roll, use a LED or similar light emitting product.

And... do you suggest it in conjunction or is it overkill?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 am      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
How many of us that roll, use a LED or similar light emitting product.

And... do you suggest it in conjunction or is it overkill?

I use both. I usually use my Lightstim after I roll because I find it very soothing. But now I'm not so sure that it's such a good idea because of the inflammation being such an important part of the rolling process. I can't see any problem in using an LED at other times though.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am thinking of buying an LED to go with the rolling. I'm not sure yet which so I'm interested in hearing about people who do both..
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 05, 2008 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Sharky, I roll and do light therapy, and I have a Quasar SP, which I love. I started with the Baby Quasar and upgraded to the SP so as to have a bigger treatment head.

However, SP is a bit pricey, and more than many of us want to spend. If I were buying on more of a budget I'd probably go with ProLight. As it is I'm strongly considering buying an amber ProLight to complement the reds and infrareds of the SP. There are many threads in the DIY forum on the various LED's available, and with all the chatter about light therapy lately I believe all the good threads are on the first or second page. It's there you should go for info, since this is the Dermaroller thread.

One thing...the consensus seems to be that a bit of temporary irritation and inflammation is desirable when rolling, so you don't want to do anything that's going to immediately "calm" the irritation that rolling provokes. This includes light therapy, whatever you decide to buy. Myself, I'm going to wait at least a couple of days before "lighting up" after rolling. Wink
OzGal

Tue May 06, 2008 12:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you ScotsLass, (I apologise for not letting you know how I'm going earlier, especiallly with all the effort with help you gave to me, but only have access at work)

Your expertise has been a great help. I've tweaked my rolling sessions and am getting used to it. Though I must say it hurts, brings tears to the eyes and makes my nose run.

As you know I'm using Leaf & Rusher, which I think is the smallest needles you can get.

After a rolling session my skin is quite red (no bleeding or oozing though) and will stay read for about a day and a half. I think I must have very sensitive skin. I'm also using the Leaf & Rusher sensitive skin serum (although I don't know what this is meant to do - I've come to the conclusion that I have a lot of studying to do with regard to actives etcif I'm going to have the skin I dream of). I'm also using MD Formulations Illuminating serum (trying to rid of hyperpigmentation, fine lines, furrows in the forehead and minor acne scars)

I have noticed that after a rolling session that my acne scars look as they are plumped out. I've come to the conclusion that this is due to oedema, because due to the reaction I have had I only roll 1 or 2x a week, and if when I roll 1x a week they are back the next week.

I like your routine of having a break after six weeks, especially with the larger needles. My view is that if you had a wound or broken bone you would need time for it to heal. I guess the same could be for collagen renewal.

I know there is no way my skin could cope with rolling every night with the L&R. I don't think I'll be able to move up to the larger ones.

I do have a question - does anyone have the sensation that one or a couple of the needles are longer than all the rest?

The cloth mask that I was querying is SKII moisture mask or whitening mask, but to date I have been too frightened to use it. I don't think it will do much though, I've given up on the department store beauty brands. Have found that they don't deliver what they promise, only leaving the pocket book a lot lighter.

Well, I'm off to investigate this fantastic, informative forum.

Cheers and a big thank you.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 am      Reply with quote
I was using the SKII masks for a while because I bought them whilst on holiday in Hong Kong. I really felt as if I was giving myself a treat after needling. However, I didn't want the continued expense of buying these, so opted to use Sea Kelp Bioferment instead - still feels nice on the skin after rolling.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Oz Gal. I use the 1.5mm roller. My skin turns bright red with some bleeding. The rolling does hurt. I stay red for 1.5 days as well. I am going to try to roll 2 times a week. However with the condition of my skin I think it probably will be more like Friday evenings only unless I have something to do on Sat. night. My face is hot and swollen and red after I roll.
Do all you out there get this from rolling with the 1.5mm needles?
After a roll I wait about an hour and then put on somthing. I am still not sure what to put on. I have been using matrixyl 3000 on before and after. I assume this is good. Scot Las said it was a good product to use. I want to make the most of the pain I put myself through when I roll.
Thanks for your help.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Sherry, I'm using the 1.5 cm needles too and have the same reaction as you and for the same time-frame. Like you, I'm still unsure what to apply afterwards. So far, I've tried Vit C Serum which really, really stings, HA Serum which feels very soothing and CP's.
I've rolled 3 x's now (1 x/week) and am noticing that the lines at the corner of my mouth are MUCH smoother (still got a ways to go yet) and the spider vein on my chin is less pronounced than it was before - so I'm happy Very Happy
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Ozgal & Sherry--last night I couldn't bear the thought of not rolling again so I broke down and used a prescription pain med before rolling (with the 1.5mm). I didn't want to do that, what with dermaroller being such a sharp little device and all, but for me it was the difference between rolling and not rolling. I want to give this potentially valuable therapy a chance, but I kept putting it off because the first time was not so pleasant. Wasn't real bad or anything, just unpleasant enough that I kept putting it off to the point where I might not have done it again. Even with the tridocaine I ordered, I was having a hard time working up to it. I am a big ol' wuss. Sad

One caveat about taking anything before rolling: the meds I took I have experience with and thus know the effects of it. I would advise you or anyone else NOT to take anything if you're unfamiliar with the effect it will have on you. I also did not take more than I knew I needed, and once it kicked in I went excruciatingly SLOW so that I would be extra-sooper-dooper careful. I was very deliberate and self-aware throughout. I felt everything, too, so IMO it would be very difficult to pulverize yourself. I wouldn't have been able to roll more than I did, which was the required star pattern. But the meds took the "edge" off, so that I was able to bear down a bit harder and achieve the coveted "boiled lobster" look . Laughing Laughing Laughing Without bloodying myself up, which was never my goal.

If you decide to try something like this I would recommend not only being familiar with what you take but researching it to make sure it doesn't have any blood-thinning effects, etc. Just to be on the safe side.

Personally, I forsee that with a "rolling aid" I will not be dreading my next session come this time next week when it's time to do it again. I'm happy about that, considering how long I put it off without the using the med.

I hope Winnie doesn't have to remove this part of the post, but I understand if she does. Some might see it as irresponsible...but I'm posting it because we're all grown-ups and I'm sure capable of exercising the judgment necessary to roll like with the aid of a pain med.

As for the effects...today I am a bit pink and feel like I have a sunburn, but it's hard to tell if this is from rolling or from the retin-A I just introduced into my routine. I put that on about an hour after rolling...immediately after the roll I used plain HA. I don't want to soothe the inflammation too quickly since that is apparently a beneficial part of the process, but I do want to seal in moisture.

Dunno if I could do vitamin C, though, even with a bottle full of meds. YEOWTCH!!! Laughing
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Yubs:
do you have the numbing cream? I think I may order that. Where do you order this from?
I am not a chicken by any stretch of the imaginationl However, it hurts. I don't look forward to the pain but I do look forward to the possibilities. So I do it.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I ordered Tridocaine from this place and I think Yubs did too?

http://www.canadadrugsuperstore.com/more.asp?ProductID=68977

I can tell you, even though they're in Vancouver and I'm in Toronto, their shipping is slooooow!
My CC was charged on 25th April and I still haven't received it. Their site says now that due to high volume of orders their processing is taking 5 days Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |