Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
DIY Zeno
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
I traded away my zeno after I had not had a breakout in a long time, and of course now I regret it. Actually, I don't, because this little invention costs practically nothing.

cut off the finger of a cotton glove
fill with rice
sew shut
microwave in 30 second increments until it is hot, but comfortable to hold on your skin -- note, it will hurt a bit on cystic acne, so test it on part of your face that is not broken out -- it should feel nicely toasty, not burning.

hold the tip on the offender for 2-3 minutes and repeat every four hours. works fabulously for those zits that are too deep to respond to topicals.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Does it matter what kind of rice? Can it be minute rice? Don't want to blow up the microwave, my teenage son has done that 3 times already. Rolling Eyes
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
wow, your son has a special talent apparently! what has he been sticking in there??

I think minute rice would be fine, mine is just plain old white rice though -- the important thing is to make sure the fabric you use is a natural cotton or linen -- something that can handle the heat. If you put in a synthetic, you'll have problems.

I actually got the idea because I do this with tube socks to warm the bottom of my bed in winter!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
OMG, I read that as cut off finger. I thought, "What to beautiful I must now cut off my finger?"
Glad I reread it.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
In the last 2 years he has burnt popcorn 3 times to the point of it catching on fire. We've had to throw the microwave out each time, because believe me, nothing will take the smell or staining out of the microwave (took days to get the smell out of the house). So now he's not allowed to leave the kitchen when he uses the microwave. Laughing
So thanks, I was going to try the minute rice, but I think we have some long grain brown rice that's been in the cupboard for months that I almost threw out the other day and for some reason decided to hang onto it. I had never actually heard of the Zeno until I saw your post, so of course I then looked it up. It's funny because I've read to put ice on a pimple, but not heat. I will have to give this a try next time.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
kandaboersma, there are actually women out there nutty enough to have had surgery on their middle (or so) toes so as to fit into the very pointy pumps of a few years back -- or the smallest possible size of them they could, or... something. Holy Mother of God.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
diana, ice is good to reduce inflammation if you're going out and want it to look less obvious. The heat increases circulation and white blood cells and helps kills bacteria, but it will make it more red temporarily. It's definitely a trick to use once you're in for the night.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
In the last 2 years he has burnt popcorn 3 times to the point of it catching on fire. We've had to throw the microwave out each time, because believe me, nothing will take the smell or staining out of the microwave (took days to get the smell out of the house). So now he's not allowed to leave the kitchen when he uses the microwave. Laughing

Tell him my 7 year old makes popcorn all the time w/o burning it! (of course, we have a popcorn button, but he doesn't need to know that)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
zumlya wrote:
Diana P wrote:

Tell him my 7 year old makes popcorn all the time w/o burning it! (of course, we have a popcorn button, but he doesn't need to know that)

The last 2 microwaves HAD a popcorn button, which is why we get so mad at him. The last time, typical 16 year old, he just throws the bag in the microwave, hits what he thinks is the popcorn button and walks away to the TV. Turns out he hit the Reheat button (not even sure what that is for) but 15 mins later the house is full of smoke. Mad Maybe your 7 year old could give him lessons on how to hit the proper button. Laughing
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
aaaa, the popcorn button is the devil!! burned every time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
LOL, 15 minutes later!! Geez, I can't wait for teenage years... Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
Does it matter what kind of rice? Can it be minute rice? Don't want to blow up the microwave, my teenage son has done that 3 times already. Rolling Eyes

I did that when I was 11. My mom never bought microwave popcorn, so my aunt told my brother and I we could put popcorn kernals in a paper bag and make our own. Not so! The bag dried out and the whole thing caught on fire.

I love your idea Waffle, I'm going to try it before I buy another refill for my Zeno.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I do need another zeno tip. I just finished my first one. Does anyone know if you buy a zeno that comes with a 60 count tip, can you put a 90 count tip on that or is that meant for another unit? I've been wondering about this for awhile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
I do need another zeno tip. I just finished my first one. Does anyone know if you buy a zeno that comes with a 60 count tip, can you put a 90 count tip on that or is that meant for another unit? I've been wondering about this for awhile

nope, they are interchangeable.

by the way, walgreens.com has the best prices on zeno and tips if you don't want to do ebay.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Oh okay that's good to know. I did buy my zeno at Walgreens originally and found it was even cheaper there than on ebay. That rarely happens... I'll remember to look there for the tips... I bet this trick does work though...I still think the zeno is just probably more convenient. Most of the time when I use it, I'll have woken up in the middle of the night and feel something, use the zeno and in the morning its gone. GONE. I'd be too lazy in the middle of the night to microwave something.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
I've been wanting to purchase the Zeno and the direction seems easy, is it really easy? Once you feel the pimple coming, just put the tip on the area for a few sec/minutes and that's it?
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, it even beeps to tell you its done and every thirty seconds or so it makes a beep. When its done it makes a few beeps. Its so simple, I do it when I'm half asleep Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
Yeah, it even beeps to tell you its done and every thirty seconds or so it makes a beep. When its done it makes a few beeps. Its so simple, I do it when I'm half asleep Very Happy

If you buy a 60 count tip, does that mean you can use it 60 times?
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Yes a 60 count tip means 60 times. I want to get a 90 count tip next time because buying tips for this thing is not something I want to worry about. It has 4 lights on it though to indicate how much you have left so for a 60 count tip, each light represents 15 uses. I got mine the beginning of December and I still have one light left on mine. I would have to say that for the 45 or so times that I used it it made the zit vanish in less than 24 hours about 90% of the time, with absolutely no mark or anything. Wow, its strange for me to think I had 45 zits!! LoL of course that's over more than 4 months but yuck, that just sounds gross. My skins not even bad! LoL

Can someone compare how the glove with the rice works compared to the zeno? Has anyone else tried it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Okay so I next time I get a zit I want to try this method.. but I'm confused by what a cotton glove is.. where do I get a cotton glove? Can I just use any cotton material and sew it shut? I put uncooked rice in this not cooked right?

Good thing I have a backup microwave!

5% products discount

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
After a few uses, I'm sure you will have to wash the cotton finger to kill bacteria... but then again, nuking it in the microwave should kill any bacteria for that matter....
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
Okay so I next time I get a zit I want to try this method.. but I'm confused by what a cotton glove is.. where do I get a cotton glove? Can I just use any cotton material and sew it shut? I put uncooked rice in this not cooked right?

Good thing I have a backup microwave!

uncooked rice and any cotton material -- I just liked the glove because I just had to sew one end. You could make it out of anything, really, as long as the fabric won't melt in the microwave (just say no to any stretch fabrics -- some will do weird things). So a baby sock, fabric scraps, whatever. yes, and uncooked rice.

I just throw mine out every so often, but yes, the microwave kills bacteria in the meantime.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Waffle,

This is one of the most inventive ideas I've read on here for ages! Well done! Very Happy

Having read about the Zeno machine ... but not liking the price, it's nice to see that this simple solution works just as well! Laughing

You can be sure I'll pass this tip along to those who are considering a purchase of the Zeno ... Smile

Thanks so much for thinking this up and posting it!

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I could feel a small blemish starting so I made one up this weekend, of course very sneakily so my DH didn't make fun of me. I used a baby sock and uncooked sticky rice. The sticky rice is short and smooth, so it doesn't poke your face. Worked great, I only used it twice and the next morning...nothing. I had quite a big red mark that night though because I think it was a bit too hot. Looked like someone slapped me real hard with their finger. Laughing The mark was totally gone the next morning though, so I will definitely be using this again, but maybe not putting it in the microwave for so long.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
I could feel a small blemish starting so I made one up this weekend, of course very sneakily so my DH didn't make fun of me. I used a baby sock and uncooked sticky rice. The sticky rice is short and smooth, so it doesn't poke your face. Worked great, I only used it twice and the next morning...nothing. I had quite a big red mark that night though because I think it was a bit too hot. Looked like someone slapped me real hard with their finger. Laughing The mark was totally gone the next morning though, so I will definitely be using this again, but maybe not putting it in the microwave for so long.

hahahaha, yep, it does leave a mark for a few hours! I actually am doing it right now because mt vesuvius has decided to make its home on my cheek....I'm doing 5 minutes every hour so my face is pretty red, but this always works for me.
I love imagining you stuffing rice into a baby sock all secretively! Laughing

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |