Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
How to stop people's dogs piddling on your fence?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Working on the basis that there are electronic gadgets designed to keep your dog WITHIN a boundary, I am wondering, is there something that would work to keep dogs AWAY FROM a boundary?

It is a rather disgusting habit of Japanese that when they go out walking their dogs, they happily let them piddle all over people's cars, post boxes, gardens, fences, etc. (go figure, they carry tissues and plastic bags to pick up the doodies, but care nothing of their dogs piddle ruining other people's possessions).

I get the whole idea of a dog needing to mark territory, and part of the problem is that there are no fire hydrants for the canine cuties to piddle on or sidewalks for the electricty poles to go on Laughing And I swear, if anyone in our estate lets their dog mark all over my front or back fence/garden I will very quickly be causing a stir.

Thus in the interest of maintaining the community "wa" ( Laughing ) I thought it best to investigate what little torture (oops, I mean electronic) devices might be available out there. So, does anyone know of something that will shock or irritate a dog if it gets too close (without causing actual harm, of course!!)

TIA!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, this is a totally useless post but I clicked in here because I couldn't believe it when I read "How to stop people's dogs piddling on your FACE?" Shock Laughing

Guess I must be tired Rolling Eyes
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Ok, this is a totally useless post but I clicked in here because I couldn't believe it when I read "How to stop people's dogs piddling on your FACE?" Shock Laughing

rofl damn, I am at work and totally laughed out loud when I read this... everyone was like "what's wrong?!" (I am supposed to be writing a serious email to a client, not reading EDS replies. Laughing )

But come to think of it, I am sure if I was sleeping in my garden they would piddle on me....

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
A garden hose at full velocity works on both the dog and its owner.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:01 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The owners are indeed the ones that deserve the garden hose, but I do think your community 'wa' would be, um, damaged if you started turning the hose on your neighbours!

I would try a product that is designed to repel the dogs via smell. If the area doesn't smell 'right' they won't piddle there. Here is one:

http://www.liquidfence.com/dog-repellent.html
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:

LMAO!!! Oh my goodness, did I laugh lard when I read that--- thanks Bushy!

Ahem, but in all seriousness, if it makes you feel any better, tiger_tim, we have the same problem here in the US--- the dog owners in my apartment complex will let their dogs pee ANYWHERE--- on people's cars, on benches where people sit (I was particularly enraged witnessing that), etc. So, it's not just a Japanese thing. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but Bushy's idea sounds pretty darn good...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I have something that has helped me in the past. Get a very very large container of cayenne pepper and sprinkle it along the area you do not want piddling/pooping animals. It doesn't hurt them, but they don't want to stay long. Downside, when it rains you have to redo it. It is natural and it will not harm the animals.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
bushy wrote:

LMAO!!! Oh my goodness, did I laugh lard when I read that--- thanks Bushy!

Ahem, but in all seriousness, if it makes you feel any better, tiger_tim, we have the same problem here in the US--- the dog owners in my apartment complex will let their dogs pee ANYWHERE--- on people's cars, on benches where people sit (I was particularly enraged witnessing that), etc. So, it's not just a Japanese thing. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but Bushy's idea sounds pretty darn good...

I meant "laugh hard" not "laugh lard," lol!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:28 am      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
Get a very very large container of cayenne pepper and sprinkle it along the area you do not want piddling/pooping animals.

stellamaris wrote:
I would try a product that is designed to repel the dogs via smell. If the area doesn't smell 'right' they won't piddle there.

bushy wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

And THAT ladies, pretty much sums up the difference between Americans and Australians rofl
(kinda makes one think of those Fosters ads they used to run in the US)

I would LOVE to get my hands on that spray, but they dont ship international, so might have to try Salli's hint if I spot any dogs on the estate.

But of course, Bushy kind of wins my heart - dead set, that is SO what my dad would do!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:

There is a very important question here: Who do you aim at first?

Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I admit, I like bushy's method alot.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
There are a couple of things I can think of (remember - I'm the "dog lady" Very Happy ).

First off, there's something like this:

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/scarecrow.php

But it works against anything that comes within a certain boundary - not just dogs peeing.

Another thing that I found out works - an electric fence (not the underground type, but the type that shocks you if you touch it). One of the dogs thought he'd mark it as his own & you should have heard the sound that came out of him. My hubby made me take it down ('cause it was his dog that had been shocked - mine figured it all out pretty quickly). I was using it to keep the dogs away from the side of my fenced yard where the neighbor kids insisted on throwing things (rocks) at my dogs. Sad (I now have a 6' privacy fence & don't live in that house anymore).

There are also a variety of repellants available (in the US at least). I've also used just pure black pepper in copious quantities to keep the dogs from digging. Of course, you'd have to re-apply after it rained. Vinegar sprayed on surfaces also works well - but again, you have to re-apply frequently...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
I have something that has helped me in the past. Get a very very large container of cayenne pepper and sprinkle it along the area you do not want piddling/pooping animals. It doesn't hurt them, but they don't want to stay long. Downside, when it rains you have to redo it. It is natural and it will not harm the animals.

it's good idea.
Caspers Mum

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Find out where the owners live, visit THEIR lawn, and pee on it, right in front of their very eyes. Bad Grin

Kidding
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Tiger T no one wants to get me started on this! I have this problem with the neighbour's CAT. I love all creatures great and small but cats and I are old enemies. We mutually despise each other. I have been driven to researching sonic sensors to stop this particular cat from using my window boxes as a personal bathroom. The thing stalks up to my nicely planted boxes with all the arrogance and hauteur of royalty, scrabbles up the soil and my bulbs in the process and then leaves me several presents. The smell is awful and I have resorted to using tubs and pots for my plants and covering up the boxes. I have been told its not worth making a ruckus about the animal but I do say loudly that I am going to hang it from a lemon tree. I think pet owners should take responsibility for their pets habits. Ok I have droned on but this cat and I have an open feud on at the moment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, Blacklace, you should try the black pepper on the soil. I have seen dad do that to stop cats.. they love cats but not ones that have irresponsible owners that let them roam free to go do-do all over his garden Laughing Their neighbours (who recently moved thank goodness) had a cat that used to cmoe and climb the screen door and windows at like 2am. Nearly gave my 80 yr old mum another heart attack first time it happened. She was up having a midnight cuppa and had the front door open (but obviously with security door locked)...

Caspers Mum, ya, might send DH to do that on anyone whose dog gets me. He will be able to aim as good as a dog. Laughing

Catmcall - I just LOVE that scarecrow, but given the design of these houses (and proximity to each other) it would not work (don't think the neighbours would like getting sprayed Laughing ). But seeing it on their video, it worked like a charm!!

BTW.. did you watch the "slideshow" of it? The last one cracked me UP!! silly, but unexpected.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/00434dd78c6da37c4289858f71612c94.gif

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Blacklace!

I used to have a cat that thought my big ficus tree pots made great extra litterboxes. Although they were inside, some of the things I used to break him of the habit may work for you...

I used balls of masking tape with as much sticky side out as possible. I also used some balloons anchored down by the "neck." However, the best thing I used was "lava rock" - the decorative kind - on top of the dirt. It doesn't feel good to walk on & it doesn't scoot around easily to be used to "cover."

You could also try cutting clear plastic carpet protector, the kind with "teeth" to keep it from sliding on a carpet (the bigger & sharper the "teeth" the better), to fit your box & turn it upside down. I broke my cats from jumping on the counters using this stuff...

Hopefully, all these things are available in the UK...

Good luck!

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:

Taking Bushy's idea one step further, what about a sprinkler motion activated system? Then you would get the owner AND the dog! Razz
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions Tiger and catmcall! I feel guilty as both your screen names are cat family related so I must be quite hated for saying these things about cats! The blackpepper thing sounds suitably vengeful and effective but then if I have to put my hands in the soil I will be sneezing all day. The other stuff sounds like some work down the B&Q (DIY shop). I tried putting decorative stones on the top of the soil but the thing just scrabbled them in. I might try some real sharp rocks then. Cat lovers cover your ears cuz if that dont work I may be lobbing the rocks at the darn cat.

I know people who love and adore cats but they always manage to come across to me as lazy and vengeful. Also when you pet them they are not like dogs..they just kinda stare at you with soul-less eyes and they have all these horrid sort of bumpy bones. To summarise, cats and me just don't get along!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
OMG I saw some lady walking a dog at the estate today.. hubby also saw several walked along the back alley path (my biggest concern).. the one I saw out the front, at least on the other side of the street there is an actual footpath, so it seems people are going to be inclined to use it.. just as well as the mongrel thing (sorry, it really was some pure-bred something or other) was sniffing and peeing on the footpath garden. eek. I know it is what dogs do.. but I gotta gets me prepared.

Blacklace, you know it is funny, but when you talk about the bumpy bones of cats... well, that is how I feel about dogs. They are so "hard" and not nice and squishy for cuddles. I am really not that much of a dog person..I think it is all that drool and sloppy tongue and stink... well, aside from Dobermans.I LOVE Dobermans (though not with the docked ears like they do in the US Shock )... it is the one dog I would love to own and plan to one day in the future.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:
Tiger T no one wants to get me started on this! I have this problem with the neighbour's CAT. I love all creatures great and small but cats and I are old enemies. We mutually despise each other. I have been driven to researching sonic sensors to stop this particular cat from using my window boxes as a personal bathroom. The thing stalks up to my nicely planted boxes with all the arrogance and hauteur of royalty, scrabbles up the soil and my bulbs in the process and then leaves me several presents. The smell is awful and I have resorted to using tubs and pots for my plants and covering up the boxes. I have been told its not worth making a ruckus about the animal but I do say loudly that I am going to hang it from a lemon tree. I think pet owners should take responsibility for their pets habits. Ok I have droned on but this cat and I have an open feud on at the moment.

This post reminded me of "June The Balloon": the fat, lazy loser who's lived in the house next to Mum since before our family moved-in (over 25 years ago). I won't go into grotesque details, but just know that she's a fat slob, as are her grown daughters (two of them live at home, and are in their late 30's/early 40's).

There is no war, but know that they've had hundreds of inter-bred, mangy "pets" over the years, my I know how badly cat urine smells, because of June & her cats. If you want to hear any of the horror stories, simply ask.

Otherwise, know that the smell of Pinesol cleanser reminds me of June. She used to use the wretched stuff when "cleaning". Imagine it, combined with the smell of cat urine. I rest my case. :-&
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Here's some quickie ideas:

In Hawaii We used to place clear mason jars filled with water on the grass. Supposedly dogs don't like the reflection ... don't know but it did work. Probably more for lawn pee'ing than fence though.

cayenne pepper Great for squirrels or any other mammals. Although ... some dogs actually like it! You'll have to reapply every few days and you could leave out a few dried habanero pods too.

Sweet PeeDZ Don't know where you can get this. It's an all natural, lime based product that is used in horse stalls and kennels. It's nontoxic to animals and plants and absorbs urine odors.

There are 'dog away' and 'cat away' sprays but I think those are pretty worthless.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
i really hate it when my neighbor's door boo just outside my corridor!! Mad if its just 1x or 2x, i can still try to tolerate but its every now and then and he doesnt even bother to clear it off.

my parents are pissed too but if we were to confront him directly, i am sure it will sour our relationship. afterall we are still living there and bound to bump into one another in the neighbourhood.

any advise will b much appreciate.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:

We should join forces. My neighbours cats created so much crap in my back yard I actually entertained thoughts of poisoning them when they started to dump on the doorstep Mad I could live with the pee, but the poo was just too much!

As a dog owner, I'm afraid mine does pee against lamp posts and bushes and car wheels, but I keep him away from gates etc. I don't know why but he must pee against something or he goes madder and weirder than he already is! Unlike cat owners however, I clear up his crap Surprised

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |