Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Environmental tidbits...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Taken from April 2007 issue of Glamour magazine. I thought these facts were interesting:

10 times as much energy is wasted when you run a computer screen saver instead of using sleep mode.

14 plastic grocery bags contain enough petroleum to fuel a car for a mile. Make friends with a cloth tote

20 gallons of water go down the drain daily when you have a drip-drip-drip faucet. Call the plumber!

75% of energy used to power electronic items is consumed while they're plugged in but not in use.

31,600 planes could be built with the amount of soda cans and other aluminum stuff thrown away every year.

100,000,000 trees are made into junk mail every single year.

I know I'm guilty of some of the above. Recycle those cans!
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for that.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:57 am      Reply with quote
Really interesting about the screen saver vs. sleep mode fact. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
learn a lot,thank you
annie313
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Makes us stop and think how much energy we waste. Thanks for your post.
Caspers Mum

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
puglove wrote:
14 plastic grocery bags contain enough petroleum to fuel a car for a mile. Make friends with a cloth tote.

Agree. I have far too many bloody plastic bags, and I'm sure that everyone is in the same boat. Thankfully, Safeway stores have bins where customers may place their used, clean Safeway bags, so that others may reuse them. I raided my little Ikea bag holder (stuffed to capacity under my kitchen sink) the other day, and returned probably 30 used Safeway bags to the store the other day! Smile

There's been a lot of talk lately about taxing or altogether banning plastic bags in Canada. Leaf Rapids, Manitoba has already banned their use, as of last week.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2007/04/02/manitoba-bags.html?ref=rss

Hopefully, more communities will follow-suit. I've made a concentrated effort to use my back-pack/cloth bags lately, request paper if I'm without my own bag, or simply carry items without a bag. (C'mon! Who really needs a bag to carry a 2 litre carton of milk & a loaf of bread?) The paper bags, I use to empty-out Casper's litterbox, but I am guilty of using plastic shopping bags for that task too. It's a shame that biodegradable plastic bags cost so much, or I'd use those for wet/damp household waste.

Re: biodegradable bags. The City of Vancouver enforces a bilaw that dog owners pick-up after their pets. (good, or we'd be ... like Paris!) Most owners are very responsible, but use plastic shopping bags. Of course, these aren't biodegradeable Sad I don't know what's worse: all of the plastic refuse, or if we were over-run with dog sh** everywhere! Some invest in the pet-waste size, biodegradeable bags. Again, expensive, but I applaud those whom spend their money on such products. Good sign: I've noticed that these bags are always sold-out at the local stores.

P.S. Regarding plastic bags & dog poop. I was in San Francisco March, 1999. A friend and I were sitting on a beach near Golden Gate Park. There was a dude there, playing with his dog. Dog did his business on the beach, and the owner responsibly picked-up after his pet.

HOWEVER, despite the trash can being about 30 feet away from the water's edge, the guy was too lazy to walk over & dispose of the bag there. In utter disbelief, my friend and I watched said-a**hole, swing the bag around his head (like a lassoo!), and toss it into the surf! Shock I kid you not! Like, what was the point of picking-up after the dog, if he was too lazy to dispose of the bag in a proper fashion? He might as well have left the (biodegradeable) poo on the beach, and have the tide take it out to sea. Poo in plastic bag: NOT biodegradeable! Did I say anything to the guy? You bet your bottom dollar, I did! In fact, I yelled, ranting at him, "You lazy sack of sh*t .....". My friend was worried that he'd whip-out a gun (lol!), but another witness echoed my own rant, and someone else applauded.

The offender: ignored everyone, not even glancing-back to acknowledge that he'd heard the comments, and sauntered off down the beach. I hope that his dog later had an accident at home, and that said loser accidentally stepped in the big, steaming pile, with bare feet!
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Reusing bags has got to be one of these easiest things we all can do to help the environment...and no ones says that your grocery bag can't be a nice one (my best friend has used this logic in using her designer bag as a grocery carrier saying that she is helping the environment and the more often she uses her bag the less it actually cost her...I think I might have to use that logic soon.) Laughing

Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |