Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Janson Beckett C&C Serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm half way through a bottle of this so I thought it might be time to jot down some thoughts about this serum. I'm sure many of you know that my fave serum thus far has been the Vivier serum. I'm pretty sure you know this because you must be sick and tired of me butting in with posts about the Vivier when other people ask for opinions on vit C serums (sorry!) Bad Grin

I have tried the Cellex-C, the Skinceuticals, the CellularSkinRx; the Vivier (for me) was the best in terms of texture. I have normal skin (sometimes combo) and found the first two felt drying while the CSRx felt a bit too oily. The Vivier was the best choice between those extremes. While I had an open mind, I was pretty sure that the JB C&C would not win over the Vivier. Ok, that statement seems contradictory - guess I didn't have an open mind after all Laughing

Well, it turns out that there is something with even better texture (for my skin) than the Vivier - namely the JB C&C (yeah, I'm as surprised as you are that I am making this statement!). This, texture wise, sits in between the Cellex-C/SC and the Vivier. It has less slip than the Vivier - it feels absolutely "normal". You pat it in, it absorbs straight away, your skin feels like there is absolutely nothing on it. It's doesn't feel tight (had that with the straight Cellex-C and the SC serums), it doesn't feel somewhat oily (had that with the CSRx), it doesn't feel like it's been a bit moisturised (had that with the Vivier). It just feels like you've applied nothing. Anyway, you get the point - me impressed with texture Rolling Eyes Laughing

Before using the JB C&C (which I believe is 10% but comprised of 5% each of two different types of vit C) I was actually using the 20% Vivier serum. Is the JB C&C just as good in the lower concentration? Well, that is very hard to say. I think that the Vivier 20% might have actually been a tad more effective but I can't be sure; it's very difficult to compare things like that. The JB C&C, so far, appears to be quite stable. It had a very slight yellowy tinge to it when I started using it and still looks the same (IMO). I will update on this when I finish the bottle.

Which one would I buy in the future? The JB C&C is half the size of the Vivier which makes it significantly more expensive. I would like to try the Vivier again and see what I think (luckily I have a sample of the Vivier to compare with Smile). If I really can't see the difference between the two then my personal preference based on texture will be to get the JB C&C, if my wallet is doing the choosing then it'll be the Vivier. If they were around the same price I would be going for the JB C&C.

Now, a little note about why I spend so much time c**pping on about the texture. Some people may agree and some people may disagree with this, but from my experience with vit C serums I now believe that your skin type should largely decide which serum you should buy (assume they are all equally effective). If I had oily skin I'd be going with the Cellex-C or the Skinceuticals (unless I wanted to use the B5 gel over the top in which case both would be fine for drier skins anyway). If I had very dry skin I would go with the CellularSkinRx one. If I had dry skin it would be the Vivier. If I had normal to combo skin (well, I DO have normal to combo skin!) then I'd go with the JB C&C or the Vivier. <disclaimer> Keep in mind, this is just MY preference based on MY experiences with these products. I know that there are people with oilier skins that use the CSRx and like it so I am certainly not saying that this is wrong. </disclaimer> Very Happy

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Newbie here - can you tell me what exactly the vitamin C serum is supposed to do and how is it used in relationship to the other products of the line? The reason I ask..since I ordered recently I got an offer for a free full size bottle if I order another Alphaderm ce

Thanks from the old lady
Mabsy

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Well, vitamin C is an antioxidant. It helps to shield skin from environmental damage (sun damage in particular) and also helps to reverse some of it. While I use it for prevention mainly, I find that it gives very good visible results in terms of making your skin look healthy and glowy. It can also help reduce lines and fade skin discolorations as far as I am aware.

I'm not currently using ADCE but my mum is and she also uses a C serum. ADCE has some vit C in it but by adding a C serum you are getting a higher concentration. My mum uses the JB skin prep first, then a C serum (Vivier 20%) and then the ADCE over the top.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Many thanks Mabsy, I will add that to the regime - appreciate your prompt reply.
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy,

Did the JB C&C sting at all??

I've really got out of skin care for the past few months getting the asthma under control, but now the monster seems to be at bay most of the time I can get back to my normal routines!

I have used the Vivier before as you recommended that and was fine, although the cellex-c I think it was stung to much on my face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Gucci,

I have used several Vit. C Serums. Some do have a sting when you first apply them. In my case that was not a problem. JB's C&C does not sting (me anyway). It is because of the combination of the two C's that are used in the product. It is my understanding that it was formulated to be gentle on the skin. I do like it.
Mabsy

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Gucci - I had no stinging with this one at all. It feels just as comfortable as the Vivier but there is less "slip" in it but it's still more than watery Cellex-C and Skinceuticals (both of which stung my skin a bit initially). I like it more the more I use it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I am enjoying my C&C Serum too, and the only thing that would stop me from repurchasing is the price. Almost $100 for 1oz. is a bit too much for this working girl. Smile

Lori

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am      Reply with quote
just a little question: The c serums are almost the same,but the texture? I think ill buy the cellular skin rx...
Mabsy

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Sweety Smarty wrote:
just a little question: The c serums are almost the same,but the texture? I think ill buy the cellular skin rx...

There are differences in all the different serums other than just texture though. For example, concentration, what base they are in, how stable they are etc

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I got a sample of this one, and I must say I agree with Mabsy about the texture- it's the nicest! I'm not sure if I should order it though or stay with my cellex-c... I know the ingredients of Cellex-c are good and contains no harmful chemicals (it scores lowest at a website listing harmful ingredients in products) and here are the ingredients of the JB C&C:

Demineralized Spring Water, Mulberry Extract, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Hops Extract, Rosemary Extract, Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone, Bitter Orange Extract, Horsetail Extract, Pine Cone Extract, Lemon Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Glycerine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

What do you think? Very Happy
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:00 am      Reply with quote
thanks mabsy!!With wich one should i start???javascript:emoticon('')
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Gucci wrote:
Mabsy,

Did the JB C&C sting at all??

I've really got out of skin care for the past few months getting the asthma under control, but now the monster seems to be at bay most of the time I can get back to my normal routines!

I have used the Vivier before as you recommended that and was fine, although the cellex-c I think it was stung to much on my face.

I know you asked Mabsy, Gucci but I have to let you know that vit c serums always seem to sting my skin, unless in very low percentages. The JB C&C was so comfortable on my skin!!! It soothes it even, I was very impressed. I'm too cheap though to buy it for regular use.

5% products discount

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
While the JB C may feel better putting it on, I think the CellularSkinRX is more effective for me. It made a difference in how my skin feels and looks. I think because it is pure. I gained alot of info on skin products fromwww.dianayvonne.com.(go to the site and on the left is a link to forums or something) Extremely helpful site. Takes a few days, but gives you personalized info for your skin.
They also have a Vit. C of higher potency and at the same price of CellularSkinRX. The JB isn't worth the price to me.
Mabsy

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Sweety Smarty wrote:
thanks mabsy!!With wich one should i start???javascript:emoticon('')

If your skin is not super sensitive then I'd suggest that you start with a 10% serum. What brand is just going to depend on your skin type and also personal preference.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:49 am      Reply with quote
i have a little dry skin,i think ill try cellular skin rx....
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I tried the dianayvonne 20% c serum and found that it turned so quickly (6 weeks) that I had to chuck half of it away. I loved that it was in a HA base, but it just felt wrong putting a brown serum on my face Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Which C serums honestly won't turn at all? So far I know CSRX and SkinMedica (which is actually a cream/gel) won't. The SkinCeutical and CellexC serums I've owned did turn in a short time. The CellexC even got grainy bits in it after awhile. Any others that seem to be really stable?

-Cheri
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I tried the dianayvonne 20% c serum and found that it turned so quickly (6 weeks) that I had to chuck half of it away. I loved that it was in a HA base, but it just felt wrong putting a brown serum on my face Confused

I purchased the DianaYvonne Vit C Serum once. It turned quicker then any C I have ever used. Would not purchase again.
Mabsy

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:58 am      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:
Which C serums honestly won't turn at all? So far I know CSRX and SkinMedica (which is actually a cream/gel) won't. The SkinCeutical and CellexC serums I've owned did turn in a short time. The CellexC even got grainy bits in it after awhile. Any others that seem to be really stable?

All C serums WILL become inactive after some time - the difference is how long I think. I've found Vivier to be very good. JB C&C looks that way as well but I'll only be able to tell that after I finish the bottle.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:07 am      Reply with quote
I got my free sample from JB as well and also really love the texture. Like Mabsy I am a huge vivier fan and wasn't very open minded when it came to the C&C. However at this point I honestly am leaning towards like the JB serum better. My only major concern with the JB is that it was discolored when I got it and has darkened considerable more since. Confused
Mabsy

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:22 am      Reply with quote
SherriinCanada wrote:
I got my free sample from JB as well and also really love the texture. Like Mabsy I am a huge vivier fan and wasn't very open minded when it came to the C&C. However at this point I honestly am leaning towards like the JB serum better. My only major concern with the JB is that it was discolored when I got it and has darkened considerable more since. Confused

Sorry to hear that! I haven't had any problems and mine still looks almost clear. I once had a problem with a Cellex-C sample (I think) where there was a tiny crack in the grooves of the rubber bit and that sent it orange in no time! Any issues with the bottle or the seal?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Not that I have noticed Mabsy but my guess is there was a problem somewhere if it should have been clear to start. It has been a bit of a turnoff using it the color it is. Making it all the more surprising that I like it at all.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
SherriinCanada wrote:

Considering the two C's used in C&C it should remain stable for a VERY LONG time. After it first came out I contacted JB and as I can recall the shelf life is 2 years. Shock Of course you need to store it in normal temperature conditions and keep out of direct light.
Mabsy

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:52 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to quickly update this because I finished my bottle of the C&C serum. It stayed the same color all the way through to the end and I am still a _huge_ fan of the texture of it. I've started using a Cellex-C serum now because I have had it sitting (unopened) alone in the darkness and it's about to expire soon. I'll post a review of that when I'm done. It'll also be a good experiment to see if it works significantly better than the JB C&C. In the end I do think that the Vivier 20% serum, that I was using prior to the JB, gave me more radiant skin, but there is a significant difference in concentration there while the difference in (visible) results was not so drastic. However, I'm not sure how to account for the invisible differences between the two concentrations (i.e. protection).

Overall, I think this is a very good choice for someone looking for a 10% C serum, including people with sensitive skin. I will definitely be using this again (I already have another bottle waiting patiently in the darkness of a shoe box under my bed Smile). C serums are like the Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream for me - I always have another one waiting in the shadows so I don't have to stop using vit C when a bottle runs out.... Embarassed

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |