Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Kate Sumerville
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I just discovered this because my friend is busy this weekend working with some of the stars in TO for the film fest. I had to check out the web site.

I guess it is Hollywood next best skincare...

what do you think?

http://www.katesomerville.com/main.htm
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Her purifying cleanser looks tempting

http://www.katesomerville.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CI002&Category_Code=OILY&Product_Count=8

but the last thing I need is another cleanser!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I think it looks amazing, but what a shame there are no ingredients listed on the website...
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:59 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL, we need you to review this skincare line Very Happy
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare I am flattered! Embarassed
Personally this line just does not interest me. But then again I am not into Hollywood and all that stuff. I did send them a email asking for complete ingredient lists and will comment more when I see them. Offhand I would say that just from glancing at the products that I do see some ingredients that have some science behind them. But then again alot of products do. Hopefully they will respond to my email.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I hope so! Very Happy
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
So, I just got an email from Kate Somerville. They have a promotion where you get 15% off until sept. 18. the code is KS0906.

Liz
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:39 am      Reply with quote
After doing some research here is my take on this line.

The company was very quick to respond to my email for ingredients and sent me complete ingredient lists for every product that I requested them for. I would post them but they are in pdf format and it is not just a matter of copying and pasting, I would have to type them out.

This anti-aging ingredients that these products contain do have some science behind them. It would appear that they rely primarily on peptides (Matrixyl and peptides similar to it), retinol and stable forms of vitamin C. No percentages for these ingredients were stated.
I am no expert on the peptides they use and am not totally sure about the scientific backing of one kind v. another. I personally rate these as interesting and while they do have studies behind them, they do not have as much science to support them as retinoids/retinol and Vitamin C (ascorbic acid).
Retinol is a good ingredient. If you are buying these products for the retinol I would email them to get the percentages. It also looks like most of the products have the retinyl palmitate form of this and not the retinol form. IMO the retinol form is preffered for anti-aging. The Quench Serum does contain the retinol form.
Vitamin C is not the ascorbic acid form which is the most effective for collagen production. But the other forms do offer some antioxidant protection which is not bad.

I sort of see this line as an addition to a routine that has good anti-aging actives (Vitamin C, retinoids/retinol, copper peptides) already. If you already are using the right actives why not use a moisturizer that has a little extra, especially if this line appeals to you. Most of the products are reasonably priced and they don't make totally unrealistic claims for them. The exception probably being the Deep Tissue Repair Cream, I can't see why this would be so expensive.

Just a few product notes. I can't tell from the ingredients if the Gentle Cleanser would be truly gentle or not, it would depend on the amount of detergent in this. The Goat Milk Cream is a very natural sounding product, very few chemicals and only a few preservatives at the end. I did not look at the cleansers that are geared towards acne so I cannot give an opinion on that. However, judging from the ingredients in some of the creams that I looked at I would approach these with caution if you are acne prone. Some of the ingredients are potentially comedogenic. Get ingredeint lists if you are thinking of purchasing to see if it would agree with your skin.

Having looked at this line I would say I am more impressed now than when I first glanced at it. Honestly, the whole celebrity/Hollywood thing just doesn't do it for me and if anything acutally makes me less interested in the line. But they seem to be okay products. Will I buy them? You know I do find myself wanting the Goat Milk Cream! But otherwise I would probalby not got with any of the other products.

Looking into this line has been an interesting experience for me. If anything it has made me realize just how much image/marketing play in my skincare decisions. My first impression was disinterest. Yet I looked at the line and found it to be okay. Contrast that with my reaction to Amore Pacific. The first time I saw this line I just wanted it. I spent time online just looking at the differnt products and deciding which ones might be good for me. When I saw that Neiman Marcus was having their Beauty Event and that Amore Pacific had a GWP well that was it! I ordered some of the products without even seeing the ingredients. Now I didn't go and get the expensive moisturizers and stuck with the cleanser, cleansing oil and enzyme peel but I still bought it ingredients unseen. It astonishes me just how much marketing can affect my likes, interests and choices! I like to think that I am above it all and try to minimize it's influence on my decisons. But it is hard to escape....
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
What kind of preservatives do they use? (You know I suffer from paraben phobia Embarassed )
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
The Goat Milk Cream and Sunscreen have parabens.
The other products use sodium benzoate and triethanolamine. I am sure there are other preservatives in there but I am no expert on preservatives to pick them out. I am not even sure that triethanolamine is a preservative! I have not seen ingredients for every product though. HTH
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Very Happy Triethanolamine is a preservative with question marks about it just like parabens...
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Let me clarify, some of the products don't contain parabens or triethanolamine just the sodium benzoate. I know about the question marks for triethanolamine I just wasn't sure if it is a preservative since it serves other functions as well. Thanks for letting me know!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for posting your review based on the ingrediants. It is good to know that this company is good with responding to emails.

I am really interested in Quanch because the celebrities seem to favour it and it must be good if they did not get any negative reactions.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Ok, this range still sounds interesting. TheresaL, you are so helpful and there are now multiple threads where you have the ingredient lists and I am asking about preservatives Embarassed but if you do remember, I would love to know which products are free of parabens and triethanolamine in this range. I really need to try a new range at the moment. I have run out of several items in my line up.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin,
The Gentle Cleanser and Quench serum have neither.
The Deep Tissue Repair, Goat Milk Cream, Nourish Moisturizer and Sunscreen have one or the other. HTH
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, I might actually get a Quench, I like the look of these products. Let me have another look at the website. Smile
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Good news! I placed my order. My eye was on Quench but I have changed my mind. I ordered KIAJ and I will let you know what I've thought of it when I get it.

I think I will post it in abejita's thread in the Review section.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |