Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

A few Drugstore finds for the frugal
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Well, I've been trying to save some money after splurging at the beginning of the year. I've been searching the drugstore shelves for some worthwhile products that are easy on my wallet, and I have to report that I've found a few.

#1 Dove Deep Moisture Day Lotion, spf 15. I use this in the morning after cleansing and toning. At first I was afraid it would we greasy, but it's not at all. It goes on thick, but dries light and quickly. It really moisturizes (containing loads of ceramides) throughout the day, and DOES NOT BREAK ME OUT. WHich is always a plus. Oh, and by the way, MMU goes on wonderuflly over this.

#2 Johnsons and Johnsons 24 hour Moisturizer (for body). I usually like a fragrant body lotion, but having run out of my store of them, I found myself not wanting to go out and spending the money to get more. I'd heard this was good, and it is! It's very light, and has a faint, very non-offensive scent to it. It has squalene in it so it leaves my skin very smooth. It moisturizes better than any of that smelly stuff I'm accustomed to using. I may never go back.

#3 Nivea Smooth Sensation body lotion. I bought this also because I heard it was good, and for $6 why not try it? I'm a body lotion nut. It's nice, has shea butter. But, really, it's no better than the Johnsons, which I think actually moisturizes a tad bit better.

#4 Nivea Q10 Wrinkle Reducer night cream. I really don't need to reduce wrinkles, but I needed a good night cream. This stuff is excellent! In addition to Q10, it has shea and macadamia in it. It's a very thick cream and goes on a little sticky, but when I wake up my skin is super soft and very smooth. And it doesn't break me out! I've noticed a more even tone as well. This would not be appropriate for oily skin, though. I probably wouldn't suggest it for blemish-prone skin either, simply because it's so rich. (This cost only $11, a real steal if you ask me)

On a side note, my boyfriend also loves the Dove lotion. On a weekend away, he kept asking me, "hey, where's that Dove shit?"
fenn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hey violet,

Thanks for the recs, the dove shit really does sound good but strangely we don't have the dove face care range here yet! :/ I too really like the nivea Q10 stuff....cheap and a good moisturiser. Keep the recs coming girl! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I have VERY dry skin on my legs. The best product I have found for this is AmLactin 12%. It gets rid of my dry, flaky alligator skin in just a matter of days. It works so much better than expensive products that I have tried.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:56 am      Reply with quote
On a side note, my boyfriend also loves the Dove lotion. On a weekend away, he kept asking me, "hey, where's that Dove shit?"

Laughing

Nice review. I love Lac-hydren 12% and Moisteral as a body moisterizer. Because they don't clog your pores and is unscented.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
There is something in Jane Staying Powder loose powder that my skin just loves, seriously. I know this for a fact because I have been using this drug store find off and on for over 6 years. It's under $4 and lasts forever. I found a much nicer pricier now discontinued HG powder so I know there are more luxurious powders out there. However, since the discontinuing of my HG I have tried Prescriptives, Shiseido, Bobbi Brown, Bath & Body Works, MAC, Cover Girl, Alima and keep having to go back to Jane.
*If you are super pale, the colorless is not colorless IMO. I use this is the warmer months when I have a bit more color.
I love frugal finds Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I've got another one. Ive been using it for awhile, but wanted to make sure it was worth bwriting home about.

Tresemme Heat Protective spray. I'm not really sure that's the name of it, but it's in a fairly big bottle and has a weird looking red spray top on it. You spray it on your hair, wet or dry, before any heat styling. SInce I've been using it, the breakage I experience when I blow dry my hair has really decreased. It's protein, which usually makes myhair feel brittle, but since it's such a light mist, Ithink it imparts just enough to benefit the hair.

They had a product like this called Heat Tamer a couple years ago and discontinued it-- I loved it. This is not the same stuff. THe other one had primrose oil in it, and smelled likeroses, which I liked THis new version doesn't smell like roses, but it doesn't stink, either.
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely love Palmer's products. smells great and very moistrizing.
and the best of all, it is so darn cheap!!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
All right, instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd add to this one I started awhile ago.

I just discovered Palmer's cocoa butter products. I love the smell of them, just like chocolate. My bf likes it too!

Anyway, I bought the Palmer's Cocoa Butter in the little jar. It's like a balm. It has really softened my hands-- the best way to apply it, I've found, is to get my hands slightly wet, then rub a little bit of the balm on my hands. Since it's a bit greasy, it's best to use it when you dont have anything to do, or before bed.

BUT, you what the best thing to do with it? Put it in your hair!!!! I was blow drying my hair, and when I was done, my ends were all frizzy. I looked down and there was my Palmers. I rubbed a little bit between my finger tips and pulled it through my ends, and oh my god. Supermodel hair. The Palmers left my hair soft and shiny, smooth, and smelling wonderful!!! My boyfriend even noticed.

LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Put in your hair like hair cream? You are very creative. Razz
I only heard people using it to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. Can anyone comment how effetive it is?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
I only heard people using it to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. Can anyone comment how effetive it is?

Like a texturizer, almost. The Palmer's in the jar is almost like a wax, so it works quite well to add definition and shine to my hair. Not to mention it has the added benefits of moisturizer.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Gold Bond Ultimate Moisturizing Skin Therapy Lotion

This stuff can be used as a body lotion or as a hand cream. It has a very light scent too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
Gold Bond Ultimate Moisturizing Skin Therapy Lotion

This stuff can be used as a body lotion or as a hand cream. It has a very light scent too.

2nd this. I love it too!
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:12 am      Reply with quote
have to try that Dove too. it sounds really good.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Palmer's actually also make hair products. I've seen them in Afro-Caribbean shops - fab places for anti-frizzy hair stuff.
lululun
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Now, I really want to try Dove Deep Moisture Day Lotion, spf 15 and Nivea wrinkle reducer.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I love the scent of Dove products so this sounds one worth trying Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Great recs! Another good product sold at most d/s is Aussie Deeep 3 Minute Miracle treatment. It was reviewed here awhile back, but I think it deserves another mention Very Happy For my thick, dry, color-treated hair this beats all other conditioning treatments!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:

I used the Palmer's cream during my pregnancies and the only stretch marks I got were tiny ones around my belly button. I'm small in size and I had 2 big babies so I was pretty happy my stretch marks weren't bad.
Maria1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
All right, instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd add to this one I started awhile ago.

I just discovered Palmer's cocoa butter products. I love the smell of them, just like chocolate. My bf likes it too!

Anyway, I bought the Palmer's Cocoa Butter in the little jar. It's like a balm. It has really softened my hands-- the best way to apply it, I've found, is to get my hands slightly wet, then rub a little bit of the balm on my hands. Since it's a bit greasy, it's best to use it when you dont have anything to do, or before bed.

BUT, you what the best thing to do with it? Put it in your hair!!!! I was blow drying my hair, and when I was done, my ends were all frizzy. I looked down and there was my Palmers. I rubbed a little bit between my finger tips and pulled it through my ends, and oh my god. Supermodel hair. The Palmers left my hair soft and shiny, smooth, and smelling wonderful!!! My boyfriend even noticed.

LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip about putting the cream in my hair.
Maria1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Sunsilk anti-frizz cream (green bottle) and it works great.

I have to try the Palmer's tip and see how I like that.
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
thanks! I found aveeno spf products were also good
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Aveeno Continuous Radiance self-tanner is the best drugstore self-tanner I've tried.

I just recently tried St. Tropez bronzing mousse which is better but more costly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:13 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Aveeno Continuous Radiance self-tanner is the best drugstore self-tanner I've tried.

I was thinking about giving this a try (I just LOOOOVE Aveeno Baby lotion - have been using it as a body moisturizer since my daughter was born - 10 years ago!! Shock Shock).
Thanks for the review.
R. Smile

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:09 am      Reply with quote
I just started using the Dove Pro-age Neck and Chest serum and so far I like it.
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I love Eucerin Anti Itch creme. I have mild eczema and it really helps with the itchies for me.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |