Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Red blemishes after spots go down - help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
machine_man

Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Let me try to explain my face issue in detail, and then perhaps some people can assist me?

Once the acne goes down, red patches are often left on the skin. Eventually they will go, but can stay for many months or even over a year.

This is not scaring. The texture of the red blemishes is smooth, just like the surrounding skin. I do not think it is hyperpigmentation, but could be wrong.

I recall reading some time ago, that the blemishes are due to blood vessels that change when the spot is created, and take time to go back to normal, once the spot has gone down. I think this is the case, but could be wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do, based upon this information? I know products are available (some of which are recommended on the board), but do not know if they would be relevant for me?

What I want is something that will make the redness paler, or go away completely.

I can answer any questions, if that might help people to make a more informed decision.

Thanks to you all!!!

Samuel.
Mabsy

Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:58 am      Reply with quote
I know just the ones you mean! Aren't they annoying! I'm lucky in that they don't stick around that long for me, I think the longest is just over a week or so.

I can suggest two products that I use to try and minimise the time of their pitiful existence: Dermalogica Microfoliant and also a vitamin C serum. Now, the Microfoliant in my case works wonders and I get the impression that this alone gets rid of them quicker. However, I also use a vitamin C serum over them (even if I'm not using it on the rest of my face). Vitamin C serums are supposed to be good at fading out marks left by acne. I've got Vivier 20% but I would also recommend Skinceuticals. Skinceuticals make a C+AHA (AHA for extra exfoliation) and a C+E (E to help along healing) serum, I think both would be good choices.

Hang in there though and wait for replies, I'm sure people will suggest what works for them.

Mabsy
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Totally agree with regard to the Vitamin C serum. After not only getting acid scars (you're new I know so I won't bore you with the details Smile ) and the mothers of all huge zits (by huge, I mean they came around the corner before my breasts Laughing ) on my chin, I think that aloe vera gel is amazing for getting that initial hot redness away. I don't know how long it will take to clear up compleately, but I'm expecting the acid marks to be around for a while but hopefully the zit marks will fade sooner with the big blobs of gel on them. The only downside to the AV gel id that it makes you look a bit like you are weeping pus, which is not a good look, although when it dries, it definatly seems to minimise them and reduce redness. HTH Liz Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
That is so annoying. You get rid of the zit and then have to deal with the aftereffects for weeks. My skin is like that, too. Except the red goes to a light greyish looking color. I apply C and Retin-A and wait for the marks to fade. Usually takes at least a month. In the meantime, concealer comes in handy but I don't like having to do the big cover-up thing. After my last zit with its own zip code, a few weeks ago, now I'm trying the Neutrogena on the spot treatment because someone told me that Benzoyl Peroxide might fade the spots more quickly. So...I'm testing that theory. Will let you know if it works. One thing I will say is that this Neut. product is nice. No peeling or flaking and I could swear any blackheads in the area have disappeared. Hmmmm.
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
have you tried using vitamin E oil as a spot treatment. I use a drop and just gently rub it over the redness from past breakout. It may help you. You can also use the vitamin E capsules, just break it open.
marmalade

Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ~

I agree that using vitamin C and AHA (particularly the latter) can help with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation; azelaic acid (the active ingredient in Rx treatments such as azelex, skinoren and finacea gel) is also effective at fading such hyperpigmentation. Aside from getting a series of glycolic peels from a derm, or one of the aforementioned azelaic acid products, there are various OTC AHA products which may be helpful, over a period of weeks/months - Jan Marini's Bioclear contains 12% AHA, 2% azelaic acid, and 2% BHA; it thus has two ingredients which can aid in fading, and also has anti-acne effects...it is a strong product, however. For vit C, Neostrata and SkinMedica make stable/effective products Smile Retinoids can help, as well.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
There actually is a name for this, it is called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is not an acne scar. It is the normal remnant of the skin’s inflammatory process.

For those with pale skin tones, this aftermath color change is usually pink, red or purple in color. People with darker skin tones may have brown or black spots where their acne once was.

PIH can fade on its own. Unfortunately, the darker the PIH, the longer it may take to fade. It may also require some intervention in order to hasten the process. Products like SkinCeuticals Phyto+ or Cellex-C Fade away can help hasten this process.

Liz
machine_man

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all; these suggestions seem very helpful.

I'll just make another point, that I didn't say the first time.

When I went to see the doctor about this, she told me that there were no such products for dealing with the blemishes.

She pointed out the problem was not with excess melanin, but didn't say much apart from that.

So, I guess she perhaps was not as up to date as people here.
SHORTY

Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem. Im 17 and a few months ago i had an unrealistic breakout. i went to the doctors and he isued me with Nicotanamide 4% gel 'NICAM GEL' only available on persription, this cleared my spots along with washing with unfragranced soap and regualy steaming my face over a face steamer. im now left with the same problem you have. a vast array of red blemishes. just a reminder of the destruction acne brought. im affraid of chainging my daley routine and adding in an extra product witch pplabove have recomended to help clear up the blemishes just incase i break out again. just a quick question?..where abouts can these products be bought in the uk? and which would be the most reliable in helping the cure of blemishes???

Thanks Guys!

SHORTY
BoomBoom
5% products discount

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:24 am      Reply with quote
i have this same problem, i just had a horrible mega breakout 6 months ago, (can you believe that the scars are still here?) well, that's exactly what happened, i have very fair skin and the slight capillaries will show on my cheek, and it's just so annoying because i used to have perfect skin and now i have to deal with this acne problem when I"ve long passed my teenage years! well, i think Dermalogica Multivitamin recovery masque is the BEST thing to calm down the redness and irritation that associates with acne, also, my skin feels very good afterward. ANother thing is regular Aloe Vera Gel, which i got from drugstore for like 6 bucks or something, i just dab a lot on my blemishes and it seems to soothe and lighten the redness tremendously (but have to be patient, it takes time). i also avoid using any sort of clay mask, because it will worsen the situation, but i think that the best thing you can do is to relax and not to worry about it too much. I know it sounds very lame, but really, couple red spots on your face isnt SUCH a big deal, many people are worse than you are and just remember to be grateful and don't look at the mirror all the time and count the days til your blemishes disappear, because it will only make the process seem more lengthy and unbearable. Just be happy and do things that you enjoy and eventually it will heal! Laughing
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:13 am      Reply with quote
I used to suffer badly with horrible big red angry painful lumps all over my face. The doctor put me on the Dianette pill for skin problems and this did help. Sometimes I could have 4 or 5 of these huge lumps, they look awful. After a year or so I started to get really bad migraines so they took me off this pill...you guessed it, the volcano's came back Sad

As soon as I felt the first soreness of a spot I got out the Australian bodycare spot stick and covered it in this about 6 times a day and it really works, the spots dont come up, the next day they've gone down, the skin is still a bit read for a few days but no volcano!. Its a product I wouldnt be without now..

5% products discount

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem and read that efoliating the area is supposed to help. It suggested that even using a wash cloth and gently rubbing the area is supposed to help the healing process. Don't rub the area, but gently massage. Once I started doing this the healing time for me sped up quite a bit. As for the Vit E, someone had mentioned this to me before and when I mentioned it to my derm, he told me to use caution with it as it can sometimes irritate the situation. It may work for you, but I'm just passing along the advice that my derm gave me.
stephanie

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:46 am      Reply with quote
After being on depo-provera for 5 years i started to suffer with acne and i am one of the gals who ends up with a few zits over my face.
They tend to mainly be on my chin and around my mouth come up big go but leave those nasty blemishes!
i actually take now Aloe Vera capsules which i find is helping to clear my skin and vit c serum (very good) and i take zinc......its working my blemishes are starting to fade!
hope this helps! Very Happy
sophie9
5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
i'm sorry you have to deal with this, but luckily, you have a lot of company here. i have some that have been there for two years. i was told that microdermabrasion treatments could be helpful. i always just cover mine up with a little concealer, but most men don't like the idea of concealer i guess. hey! don't knock it till you try it though! the dermalogica microfoliant that someone else mentioned does seem to help some, so you may want to give that a try before trying expensive microdermabrasion treatments. seriously though, clinique concealer is my best friend!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |