Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help! Vitamin C Causing Blackheads?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VMP40
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Candy's Triple C for about 2 weeks. I have noticed more blackheads on my chin recently and this morning I noticed some on my cheeks! I have never had this on my cheeks ever!

Do you think this could just be my skin getting use to the product or is it a sign that it is not right for me? Should I keep using for a bit longer or stop?

I have samples of Vivier serum. Should I try this instead.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Are you certain that the Vit C is doing this? Could it possibly be something else instead. I don't get blackheads from Vit C but I do get a build up of something that looks like blackheads from CP's.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
You know, this is interesting. I have NEVER had trouble with blackheads but all of a sudden blachheads on my cheeks. I blamed Emu but now I'm wondering if it was my C or CP. I went into panic mode and ordered bha from IFP and they're gone but I also ran out of my C at approximately the same time so now I'm wondering.
Kimberly
VMP40
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I guess it could be from something else but I haven't really changed my routine otherwise in the past few weeks.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I had a similar experience a couple weeks after I started Candy's C. But I never figured out if it was the C, or something else. I have used C in the past successfully. My chin is still sort of a mess.
dreamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I used several Vitamin C serum samples.After using a few days,my skin was brightening and firming.But more and more use it for a long time they bring many blackhead to my skin.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've had blackhead trouble with almost every Vit C serum I've used. The only one that is seems to work well on my skin is Skinmedica Vit C Complex. With the others I got tons of blackheads in places I didn't normally get them. Also they were really embedded and hard so it took a few weeks to get my skin straightened up. The worst for me was probably Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. Next in line would be Obagi Professional C. Now I don't even try others and just stick with Skinmedica although it's fairly expensive and dries me out sometimes.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think Vitamine C would cause blackheads.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I think if the triple C is the only thing you have tried on lately. It could be the reason that it's not right for your skin. If you have tried a couple of new stuff at the same time, you have to try to put away any new one and try one new one at one time. Vivier C is good. You can try it.
NoNaMe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
I don't think Vitamine C would cause blackheads.

I think so.
Should you consider another new thing that you apply?
Perhaps, It comes from another cause.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
It seems quite a few react to vit C in this way; here's a previous thread from the Library
Can anyone NOT use Vitamin C
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12320&start=0
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:08 am      Reply with quote
I found even with very "pure" water+C based products like Skinceuticals, I felt intense stickiness which did not feel great with my oily skin. For whatever clarity Vit C gave me, it was offset by the slight comedogenic effect it caused.

I have read articles about high amounts of vit c (more than 20%) can be rather comedogenic for oily skins.

Another more hands on way of getting your daily dose of antioxidants is to mix batchs of pure Vit C powder in distilled water, enough to last 2-3 days and keep in the fridge. It is preservative and stabiliser free, and you can control the % - start low and work up until your skin cannot tolerate.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:14 am      Reply with quote
you should try on lowest percentage of vitamin C and gradually increase their percentage.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:50 am      Reply with quote
i just started using psf vit c serum and i have deevloped a few blackheads on my cheeks!!! but it makes my skin kinda glowing and soft. but im using decleor gel and caudalie serum and dermalogica's microfoliant too...and i think its the decleor gel cos i really want vit-c to work for me Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I've had just the opposite experience than phredd4 when using SC CE+Ferulic -- it actually keeps blackheads in check for me! It's not unusual for some people to have acne issues with Vit.E though.

Hi yeahyeah - if you're talking about Caudalie's Radiance Serum, that's a product I use now and then and it contains squalane (among a lot of other things) and a few members have reported acne issues with that too. Don't know though about the other products you listed.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I had the same problem with C serums and blackheads/clogged pores. I am fortunate that I rarely get blackheads but when I added C serums to my routine I really started getting alot of blackheads. The IS Clinical Proheal was the worst offender but I also had problems with IS Clinical 15% C serum. When I switched to the SkinMedica C Complex my blackhead situation improved alot but my pores were still clogged. I stopped using the SkinMedica C and my pores have cleared alot and I really don't have any blackheads anymore. I should add that when I stopped using the SkinMedica C it was becasue I switched from Differin to RetinA (Ziana) so it is really hard to say if the RetinA or stopping the Vitamin C was the cause for my improvement. I imagine that both could have been responsible as well as some changes to my cleansing routine.
jwils
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
May I ask why you stopped using Vitamin C when you started using Retin-A?

I've been using Retin-A in the evening and vitamin c in the morning and it seems to be working well and has not been too irritating.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
This thread has me wondering now...

I had to throw out my first diy vitamin c serum - I was breaking out and getting blackheads because it was too rich from the veg glycerin I put in. I've decreased the amount of vg and it seems to be find. I have been having major trouble with blackheads on my nose, but not really anywhere else, so I'm wondering if I can blame it on the vitamin c...? Would it cause problems in just one area of the face? (I do put it all over).

montrealgal
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
I suppose it could cause problems in only one area. It is normal for me to battle blackheads on my nose, but when I was using some of the Vit C serums, blackheads not only doubled on my nose, they popped up all around my orbital bones, temples, forehead and other places I have never gotten them before. Miraculously my chin was always unaffected. The blackheads were huge and very hard plugs which were difficult to clear up. I was ashamed to go out of the house for fear they would be spotted by someone standing close. At 46, I have combination skin and have never had a problem with being overly oily.

I really wish I could find one that was as perfect for me as some of the others here have found. I guess for now SkinMedica will have to do.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
jwils wrote:
May I ask why you stopped using Vitamin C when you started using Retin-A?

I've been using Retin-A in the evening and vitamin c in the morning and it seems to be working well and has not been too irritating.

jwils-I have very sensitive skin and I thouhgt it would be a good idea to stop using the C serum until me skin adjusted to the RetinA. I was especially concerned that even though the SkinMedica was well tolerated by my sensitive skin it still had ascorbic acid which can be irritating. I just didn't want to chance it. I happened to try the C serum last week and while I didn't notice any real irritation it was very drying. My skin actually felt dehydrated for days after one use. I suppose that could have been coincidence but I don't think so. I was hoping to be able to add the C serum back to my routine but I may opt for a non-ascorbic acid C product instead. It is great that you are able to use both without irritation since retinoids and vitamin C are on the top of my list when it comes to anti-aging!

montrealgal-I think it is possible to experince blackheads in only one area in reaction to C serums. I got them on my nose and chin mostly and my cheeks were clogged pores but not blackheads.
jwils
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I see Theresa. Your skin must be very sensitive if even the SkinMedica C caused it to feel dry. My skin is not sensitive so that is probably why I have no problem using the two together.

I have beeing using l-ascorbic acid for years and recently tried SkinMedica Vitamin C and never considered that vitamin c might be contributing to the clogged pores I get on my cheeks. I use 5% BHA, 15% AHA, and Tretinoin and still find that my pores tend to get clogged. Shock After seeing this thread, I think I might try giving up vitamin c for a little while to see if the clogged pores go away.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
montrealgal-I think it is possible to experince blackheads in only one area in reaction to C serums. I got them on my nose and chin mostly and my cheeks were clogged pores but not blackheads.

Thanks, Theresea. I'm working on getting rid of the blackheads vis OCM and will monitor my use of vitamin c. Maybe I will take a break like the others also or at least avoid putting it on my nose.

BTW, my dermatologist said Retin A does help with blackheads. I'm not using it though because apparently it makes you more sensitive to the sun, and hyperpigmentation is already one of my biggest problems.

montrealgal
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Vit. C does that everytime to me...blackheads and tiny skin colored bumps if I use it more than occasionly....I have tried a lot of brands and almost given up now Sad
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think Vit C is causing blackheads, I think the Vit C may be changing the color of the junk already in the pores..making the stuff more noticable. I have a 10X mirror that I spend a lot of time in front of and don't think I have more blackheads when using Vit C, some of the stuff already there becomes more noticable. I wonder if its some type of chemical reaction???

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe the C oxidizes in the pores?
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |