Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml) Shira Nutriburst Peptide Day Therapy (50 ml)
:: Review :: Peter T. Roth Instant Mineral spf 30
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Rave!

I bought this at sephora, but hopefully EDS will carry it soon. I should warn that I have not tried any of the other built in brush powder sunscreens, but I have read reviews so I will try and address that issues people had with colorscience, ISC versions, etc.

First of all, I know a lot of people have coplained about packaging on these sort of things. I found this one very easy to use. The brush is quite soft, the powder flows easily, and there is a handy little slider to make the cap go back on without damaging the brush.

The powder itself is very fine, off white, and did not show up on my skin. I had to run my fingers over my skin to make sure it was dispensing, even though I could see the powder on the brush. I didn't get any kind of cakey look or white cast (but I'm fair). It also did a great job keeping my skin relatively matte.

One concern I had is that sometimes the powder poofs out in a little dust cloud and I imagine I did inhale some of it.

I used it today not as my primary sunscreen, but instead of reapplying my jan marini ss. I really enjoyed not having to reapply a cream, since my skin gets pretty sweaty and sticky on hot days and I'm acne prone. It was great to just dust it on. I know it doesn't have the greatest UVA protection since it's a physical block only, but considering I was lying out in the sun all day, you should know I'm mainly just avoiding freckling, I'm not one of the people that wears ss indoors and whatnot.

Anyways, ingredients:
titanium dioxide 15%
Zinc Oxide 10%
other: mica, silica, corn starch, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), ascorbic acid (vitamin c), retinyl palmitate (vitamin a), willow bark extract, iron oxides.

The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 30 (9 g / 0.3 oz)
Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 30 (9 g / 0.3 oz)

Instant Mineral SPF 30 Brush on powder for immediate any time UVA/UVB sun-protection. Translucent matte finish with titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, willow bark extract & vitamins A C & E

stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Great review, thank you - Add To Cart! Laughing
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the review! This product is on my list for some time now Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry,but I really disliked this product. The powder came out to quickly, it was messy, and worst of all the first time I used it the bottom came off and I swear if there was more than a teaspon of powder in the tube section, I'd be very surprised. If anyone ever used a sunscreen/block powder they liked, other than the Roth product, please post it here. Thanks!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:25 am      Reply with quote
lefemme wrote:
Sorry,but I really disliked this product. The powder came out to quickly, it was messy, and worst of all the first time I used it the bottom came off and I swear if there was more than a teaspon of powder in the tube section, I'd be very surprised. If anyone ever used a sunscreen/block powder they liked, other than the Roth product, please post it here. Thanks!

I just checked the quantity in mine, it says .32 oz/9 grams, which is the same amount in my big jar of Laura Mercier MMU, and the same price, so I'm ok with that. However, I agree that it sort of poofs out and so you are losing more product that way. but I think I'm all right with that for convenience sake. I don't plan on using this every day. Unfortunately it sounds like this is the same complaint other people had with coloscience and ISC -- I wonder why they all use the same crappy packaging??
I hope my stays together though! Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Waffle.. Well I'm glad you had a better experience than I did with the Roth sunscreen/powder brush. I was very disappointed! Now I'm worried about ordering the LM mineral makeup--maybe the amount in my Roth tube was somehow a mistake??? Oh well, I guess I'll go ahead with the LM order. I tell you, this site has been the utter end of me, well more my bank account! Sure is fun though!
Very Happy
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
lefemme wrote:
Hi Waffle.. Well I'm glad you had a better experience than I did with the Roth sunscreen/powder brush. I was very disappointed! Now I'm worried about ordering the LM mineral makeup--maybe the amount in my Roth tube was somehow a mistake??? Oh well, I guess I'll go ahead with the LM order. I tell you, this site has been the utter end of me, well more my bank account! Sure is fun though!
Very Happy

lefemme, the LM looks like a ton to me (big jar, will last a long time), so no worries on that! I love the LM MMU, hope you like it more than the PTR!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I wonder how it compares to the Colorescience Sunforgettable?
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I wonder how this product gets the spf of 30? Is it just the concentration of titanium powder?

Couldnt we just add more titanium to out usual mmu, to raise the spf?
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
I've thought about that too but I think it may only work for those who are fair, and it may look to white on the rest of us.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
after using this some more, it is darker than off white. more beigey, although it didn't show up on my skin - just an fyi if you are super super pale.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:45 am      Reply with quote
I've just finished one bottle of it. I just used it as final touching after sunscreen.

I love the powder which is very fine and full of antioxdants. It appears transparent on my face but also providing good coverage to my pores.

One point is, the brush is too harsh to me, it makes my face itchy. And it's not easy to control the application amount. So I poured the poweder out to another container by openning the tube end lid (there is an opening). It is much better to apply by sponge. Wink I think PTR need to have improvement on this package.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I carried this product around in my purse last summer and I actually liked it within the first uses but later on too much powder was coming out of the brush and when I put the lid back on there was a big "poof" of powder everywhere! Now there is powder all in the lid area. Nice idea but it doesn't work.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:19 am      Reply with quote
Great reviews I was keen to try this but think I might wait until packaging improves!
chesterfield
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:15 am      Reply with quote
I use this for almost a year, on and off. After a while, it gets easier to "operate" it. I even tried to transfer all the powder in a portable Mineral Makeup Container -- and that works a little better. It was too much of a hassle to keep transfering it, so I'm now using it as is. It gets easier and I'm on my 5th tube. Protection is good, easy to use, doesn't clog too bad if you wash it off well. It's a little drying in the winter, but works great in the summer time.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know how I missed this topic before...I love the idea of a light dusting over my MMU in the summer. There was mention that it was a light beige... for those of you that use it, is it transparent enough if you are quite tanned?
MissCay
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
yea...i agree only if you transfer the powder to other container, it's really a good product.

chesterfield wrote:
I use this for almost a year, on and off. After a while, it gets easier to "operate" it. I even tried to transfer all the powder in a portable Mineral Makeup Container -- and that works a little better. It was too much of a hassle to keep transfering it, so I'm now using it as is. It gets easier and I'm on my 5th tube. Protection is good, easy to use, doesn't clog too bad if you wash it off well. It's a little drying in the winter, but works great in the summer time.
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using this product and find, for me, it's important to thoroughly remove it with cleansing oil at the end of the day to prevent irritation/clogged pores.

It is slightly tinted and as a sun-avoider with pale skin sans my resident melasma, I find it helps add some color to my pale areas and replaces my pressed powder on days I use it. If you are already tan, I'm not sure how it would look or how transparent it would be but it seems pretty versatile.

The package sucks ~ just noticed a thin layer of the product all over my dashboard from applying it in the car.
Windyemmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reviews here, I will be mindful to the package of this product. I've been searching for a sun protection product can be used during the day without messing up my makdup. This product sounds like a good idea for that purpose, but i'm a bit worried about the package now... Rolling Eyes
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:27 am      Reply with quote
i think this would be nice to use if your not going to be in the sun much else SPF 30 doesnt wudnt cut it for me to use when im outside just not high enough in terms of protection, and when i say protection i mean i dont want any tanning either.

i think this product would be nice to use if your indoors alot so sun rays coming in through the windows. or rays from comp screen etc etc. so i would use this when im home Very Happy even to protect for the 5 mins i run around to hang clothes Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I ran this product thru the CIBA Sunscreen Simulator. It has a PPD of 14.2 and a calculated SPF of 39.9. It seems pretty good but too bad the packaging sucks from what I heard...
Fairrene
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Has Anyone tried this powder SPF from Jane Iredale? It is not in a Brush form so might not have packaging problem.

Not available in EDS yet.

Check out his new product from janeiredaledirect website under What's new.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
I ran this product thru the CIBA Sunscreen Simulator. It has a PPD of 14.2 and a calculated SPF of 39.9. It seems pretty good but too bad the packaging sucks from what I heard...

I would (oddly enough in this case) trust the manufacurer over a simulator

the new FDA regulations for sunscreens are VERY VERY stringent.

It's 5 repeated human trials, and then 5 repeated in vivo trials

Then you take the lowest SPF rating of those two test groups.
Fairrene
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi All & those who are following this post,

I finally ordered and tried both the PTR and Jane Iredale. Both offers the SPF coverage i wanted and what i want the powder SPF to achieve ie. "putting on a foundation but not make-up base". I will strongly recommend Jane Iredale as it comes in a sponge-like container. Easy to apply. The PTR brush-kind is not desirable as the powder does not come out that easily. Extra effort is needed.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your review, I will put it on my list....
System
Automatic Message
Sun May 19, 2024 10:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Bioelements Collagen Rehab Mask (50 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |