Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Problems with salon manicures--- am I the only one????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
As I'm sure you all know by now, I'm a bit OC about beauty stuff, and that definitely includes manicures and pedicures. In junior high, high school, and college I always did my own manis and pedis because let's face it--- you can get an entire bottle of Hard Candy or Chanel nail polish for the cost of just one manicure. When I do my own manis and pedis I'm not satisfied unless they are absolutely perfect--- no rough edges, no smudges, no air bubbles--- you get the picture. However, now that I'm out of school and working, I think it would be nice from time to to time to be able to go to a salon and have my nails done. (I have pedicures done every month and I LOVE it!) The problem is that I find that I HATE how people in the salons do manicures, so I wanted to see if it's just me, or if other people have the same complaints. Here are my main gripes:
1) Rough edges on nails. It seems like I always end up with at least a few rough edges on the ends of my nails. This drives me nuts! I can't wait until my polish dries so I can fix it!
2) Not waiting inbetween coats of polish. No matter WHAT salon I'm in--- high end, low end, doesn't matter, they don't so much as pause for a breath between coats of polish. As a result the polish ends up dull, gooey, and it takes longer to dry. These people went to beauty school--- don't they realize that if they gave it a minute or two between coats that the end result would be so much nicer?????
3) Air bubbles. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine--- I simply cannot enjoy a manicure if it has air bubbles it in, and yet often times it's like the lady doing my nails doesn't even notice they are there. So frustrating!

This is why I just NEVER get manicures done in salons, however, I'd be very interested to see how everyone else feels about this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I with you all the way Liz, I swear we are one in the same!

I have noticed that if you tip well and go back to the same person they are more willing to listen to your complaints and do a better job...of course as soon as I find someone who does they quit or move to a different salon.

Now I just go anywhere and get shaped and trimmed and do my own polish at home. Its a bit cheaper this way too and I can be as OC as I want. Besides Im SOOOOOO tired of hearing about my "odd" nailpolish choices that make me look dead! Rolling Eyes

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
HUGE pet peeve of mine, too. I don't go to a salon anymore. The reason for the air bubbles is not waiting between coats. And, yes, they should KNOW that.

A
Cuddles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 am      Reply with quote
It has taken me years--and a lot of bad manis-but I have finally found a tech who gives a great manicure. I go to a "high-end" salon, but the price really isn't that much different that the quickie strip mall nail boutiques. I really think it helps to find one good manicurist and go to him/her faithfully. I find my manicurist takes more time and is much more exacting now that I am a "regular." I haven't the patience to mess with my own nails and enjoy this little luxury (and the time away from my kids!). My advice--find a good tech, go regularly, tip well and don't be afraid to communicate (politely, of course) what you want. Good may very well become great in no time at all.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I am with ya all the way, I much prefer my own manicure than any salons I've yet to visit! Its a weekly ritual with me!
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I completely agree - I'm also never satisfied with the way salons do manicures. I also don't like the way they do my cuticles -- either they clip them, which I don't like, or they push them back in a way that causes them to pop forward again after a few days....

I'm pretty lazy about my nails, though, and I bite them, so they usually look quite bad.
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Now I'm dying to know ... how do you do your own??

I don't wear polish but would love to know how to do one w/out it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
4sons wrote:
Now I'm dying to know ... how do you do your own??

I don't wear polish but would love to know how to do one w/out it!

4sons, doing a manicure is easy! However, if you want to go all out and have the world's prettiest manicure, this is how I do it:

Step 1: Soak nails so they are hydrated and easier to cut. I sit in front on the TV with my hands in a bowl of warm water, Burt's Bees Baby Bee Buttermilk Bath Powder, and Baby Bee Apricot Oil. Massage the oil into your cuticles and nails. If your nails are dehydrated then there's a greater chance of your polish chipping, and also your polish won't go on as smoothly so rub that oil in, girl! (I don't like to mess with my cuticles--- they are there to prevent infection!! However, if you have any hang nails, feel free to clip them.)

Step 2: Dry hands off, cut nails to desired length, and file gently until you can't feel anymore rough spots.

Step 3: Debris from cutting and filing can show up in your polish and mar the finish. Also, cutting and filing exposes your nails and leaves them vulnerable to dehydration, so once the cutting and filing is all finished rub some more Baby Bee Apricot Oil into them, then wash hands with soap and water to remove all traces of the oil.

Step 4: Time for a base coat! I swear by OPI Nail Envy--- the finish is gorgeous and glossy, and it makes my nails so strong I would swear they were acrylic. It dries really quickly as well. To prevent accidental smudges, I always start with my pinky on my right hand and work my way in to my index finger, then I switch to my left pinky and work my way in to my left index finger. Finally I go back and do my thumbs. (I read about this method in a magazine--- it has never failed me.) It's ABSOLUTELY crucial to let your polish dry completely between coats. Clear polish dries more quickly than colored polish, so after 5 or 10 minutes you can move on.

Step 5: Apply a thin, even coat of color, in the same order as the base coat. Let this one dry for longer, 20 minutes or so.

Step 6: Repeat step 5.

Step 7: Apply a top coat (again, I use OPI's Nail Envy,) and you're done! You may notice a bit of nail polish on your cuticles--- don't worry, this will come off the next time you shower. Reapply your top coat every few days, and if you can, massage some oil into your nails daily to keep them strong and healthy!

(I TOLD you guys I was OCD!!! And I didn't even go into what I do if I'm applying little jewels to my nails, lol....)

Oops, I just realized you wanted to know how to do a manicure WITHOUT nailpolish. Embarassed Sorry, feel free to stop at step 3 or 4.^-^

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have another mother-in-law story related to this. The mother-in-law has a severe fungus-among-us on her toes. My husband even told me about how she refused to take an oral antifungal for it. It's been going on for years.

We went to get manicures and pedicures together one time. We sat in these cool chairs that gave us a massage. Meanwhile, our feet were in the swirly bowls of water. One of the ladies that worked there came up to my mother-in-law to do something to her feet, I'm not sure what, and then told her that her feet weren't in good condition and that she needed more and more pedicures. Also, my mother-in-law's toenails are as thick as a slab of cheese and the same color which totally looks like there's the fungus. I've heard that these places are actually supposed to refused to serve a person if they think they have a fungus. After my mother-in-law got up to go get the rest of her manicure and pedicure this other very nice lady sat down in the chair that she was in and her feet went right into the same bowl. It was like some kind of moral dilemma. Maybe it's too dramatic to say I was horrified, but it was something like that.

After that, I decided I simply will not go into a place for manicure and/or pedicure.

I think I would rather just watch crappy TV, drink beer and hang out on the rug and do it myself.

The one thing I will consider, is that a friend of mine is opening a place here in Seattle. The kind where you have only your own tools. And she has purchased an autoclave machine. That is what is used for surgery instruments and is the only thing that really kills everything. So when her place opens, I might go.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Eww. See I actually like pedis sometimes but your story just makes me want to tuck my feet and run. Toe fungus is scary.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I have to disagree with you Liz on a couple points. I never liked filing my nails when damp, like out of the shower, and I don't really know why you'd want to soak nails as this just makes them soft. I only cut them if I have to, if I have a hang nail. But filing when they're at their most vulnerable (just like hair-- you shouldn't brush your hair with anything but a wide tooth comb when wet) never seemed like a good idea to me. I file them when they're completely dry then polish the ends with a buffer to prevent snags. If you do this every few days, you should never have to cut them. Well, I mean, if you want short nails, I guess it doesn't matter. (I do cut my toe nails out of the shower because I like to keep them very short and clean).

Waiting 20 minutes after the first coat? Girl, that is OCD! Laughing I do both hands with the first coat, wait maybe two minutes or so, then do the second coat. Now, I will wait a good 15 minutes to apply a base coat, which sometimes I don't do because I just don't have time.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I have to disagree with you Liz on a couple points. I never liked filing my nails when damp, like out of the shower, and I don't really know why you'd want to soak nails as this just makes them soft. I only cut them if I have to, if I have a hang nail. But filing when they're at their most vulnerable (just like hair-- you shouldn't brush your hair with anything but a wide tooth comb when wet) never seemed like a good idea to me. I file them when they're completely dry then polish the ends with a buffer to prevent snags. If you do this every few days, you should never have to cut them. Well, I mean, if you want short nails, I guess it doesn't matter. (I do cut my toe nails out of the shower because I like to keep them very short and clean).

Waiting 20 minutes after the first coat? Girl, that is OCD! Laughing I do both hands with the first coat, wait maybe two minutes or so, then do the second coat. Now, I will wait a good 15 minutes to apply a base coat, which sometimes I don't do because I just don't have time.

You make some very good points, violetanne!!! You're right that dry nails are easier to file and I often do do them that way, now that you mention it. I esp. like your idea of buffing the ends to prevent snags! And yes, I'm all the way OCD!^-^

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I have always been kinda scared to go for a manicure. I have been a nail bitter in the past and even now when im stressed I start to bite again (bad i know) so i think that after ive been through a bitting period and grow them again because ive put alot of time and effort getting them to grow long im scared that they mite do a rubbish job on them or end up filing them too short or something so ive always stayed away from manicurists and DIY it.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
I can so relate to this. I really have a thing about grooming including hands and I love a great manicure. Yet despite shelling out my cash on both low and high end places in London, I have given up and do my own job at home. It costs less and I can do it neatly without agonizing that I just wasted dosh on it.
I have started using Sally Hansen Pearl shine french manicure kit for over a year and do not use anything else (available at Boots etc). My worst manicure? Definitely in the nail bar at Debenhams. I had this paint on my nails with a wide strip left out on both sides (why? is that fashionable?) and it was altogether a horrid experience.

Maybe its just me but professional french manicures last the same time as my at home kit and costs me just 4 quid for a month's worth of polish.

5% products discount

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Im a licensed manicurist (even though I stopped doing it years ago) but i can tell you that filing your nails when they are wet and soft isnt the best idea.

how i used to do manis:

step one: file down nails with a nail file (the type of nail file you use is very important and coarser file will leave ragged edges).

step two: soak your hands in warm water with a cuticle softener

step three: once they've soaked for a bit take your hands out and push back (or clip if you prefer) your cuticles.

step four: buff your entire nail with a nail buffer, including the ends to remove any roughness (its better to use a buffer that is worn down, if you buy it new, try taking your nail file and rubbing it down...using a brand new buffer on your nails will cause lines...once again get a buffer with a fine texture).

step 5: apply cuticle oil to all your nails and rub in, wash thoroughly.

Step 6: rub alcohol on your nails to remove residue.

Step 7: apply base coat (usually by the time you apply the base coat to all 10 fingers, its usually dry)

Step 8: paint nails...the longest i would wait in between coats would be a minute or two. in my experience, air bubbles are not created because you dont wait to apply the second coat, its because the nail polish is older and thicker making it go on thick and catching air bubbles in it.
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Great info ladies! Thanks much! I do go to a nail place sometimes...lovely vietnamese ladies who do a great job! They always sanitize the bowls before putting another person's feet in there (the mother-in-law story just creeped me out!!!) Smile They do put one coat on after another, without waiting...but I've never had air bubbles...will definitely watch for that! And, I do like to do my nails at home too...so the tips on how to do it are great!!! I think I'm getting OC about my nails because I just stopped biting them!!!
babybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I am equally as apprehensive about salon manicures as you, manslayerliz...but for different reasons.

I loved indulging myself with professional manis & pedis a until I got a fungus infection in my nails! Yuck! They turned yellow and brittle, and it took forever to get rid of! This was a result of the tools not being properly sanitized in between clients. I have since found a great high-end salon that I have stuck with for that exact reason!

Take my story as a cautionary tale, ladies. Make sure the utensils are properly sanitized and disinfected! The good places will keep their tools in sealed plastic (unwrapping them in front of your eyes). Be wary tools soaking in that barber shop blue liquid...
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
my aunt owns a nail salon down in newport beach. awhile back, i noticed that she had a whole bunch of boxes on the shelves with people's name. i asked her what it was and she said that it's the clients tools they bought from her. so everytime they came back, they use those tools.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
i prefer to using my own beauty tool actually!
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Ever since I found out what is in nail polish I stopped getting manicures and stopped wearing nail polish. It just makes my nails feel so suffocated and I really don't need any formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate soaking through my body. http://www.carefair.com/Hair-and-Nails/Nails/Toxic_Nail_Polish_846.html

I also for hygiene reasons don't even do the clean up and care through a manicurist anymore. I don't want stuff that has to be disinfected, I just don't like to share those kind of tools. I prefer DIY, and I don't share my nail tools or my makeup brushes or anything. I want to learn how to do my feet better though. I just always keep my finger nails short, I can't stand long nails, but they seem to grow too darn fast.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Oh the nail fungus story is frightening - and so prevalent! Even if the whirlpool bath they use is sterilized after each use, the filter can trap fungus and spread it like wildfire! I will NEVER put my feet in one of those things again after finally getting rid of a salon-acquired nail infection. I used pure hinoki oil on my nails after cutting them back as much as I could and keeping at it for almost a year. You almost have to throw out all your shoes and sterilize your carpets - the fungus can survive on inanimate objects for up to 20 YEARS!!! And what's up with using the same polish on different people? What about spreading the Fungus that way?? Ewwww!
Plus, some nail techs are so rude and catty - I had one tell me I have "funky" finger nails because the nail curves down on the sides quite a bit. Rolling Eyes Needless to say, I didn't tip her nor did I ever go back to her!! Mani/pedis are just something I'd rather do for myself - like bathing- it has to be meticulously clean!! One thing it pays to be OC about!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 6:03 am      Reply with quote
mystiqkal wrote:

step 5: apply cuticle oil to all your nails and rub in, wash thoroughly.

I have "Witchcraft" Almond Oil for Cuticles -Would that do??

I've been using this on my toes after the pedicure, focusing mostly on the cuticles.

It never crossed my mind to use this ON my toe nails or my hand nails!! Shock Shock And my nails are SOOOOO dry!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'll be doing manicure later today, so I'll definitely use your advice ladies!

Thx! R. Smile

P.S. I never cut my nails (unless i break a nail and need to cut a big chunk off). I always file them.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:

2) Not waiting inbetween coats of polish. No matter WHAT salon I'm in--- high end, low end, doesn't matter, they don't so much as pause for a breath between coats of polish. As a result the polish ends up dull, gooey, and it takes longer to dry. These people went to beauty school--- don't they realize that if they gave it a minute or two between coats that the end result would be so much nicer?????
3) Air bubbles. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine--- I simply cannot enjoy a manicure if it has air bubbles it in, and yet often times it's like the lady doing my nails doesn't even notice they are there. So frustrating!
This drives me nuts as well, and a couple of times I have even seen a small hair under the topcoat of the varnish and when I have pointed this out it was almost like they thought I was being difficult. Shouldn't these people be perfectionist by job description if not by nature? I hate paying and tipping for a manicure that I could have done better myself! And don't even get me started on bad cuticle work... If I think too much of the hygiene aspect of this I don't think I will ever go for a manicure or pedicure again...
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:

This drives me nuts as well, and a couple of times I have even seen a small hair under the topcoat of the varnish and when I have pointed this out it was almost like they thought I was being difficult. Shouldn't these people be perfectionist by job description if not by nature? I hate paying and tipping for a manicure that I could have done better myself! And don't even get me started on bad cuticle work... If I think too much of the hygiene aspect of this I don't think I will ever go for a manicure or pedicure again...

Oh my goodness Smoothskin, you took the words right out of my mouth! There have been several times when I've spied a small hair or piece of debris in my manicure, and when I pointed it out the manicurist totally acted like it was no big deal--- I mean, do they really think that people don't mind walking around with stuff stuck in their manicures??? And the bad cuticle work.... I got nipped once and bled for hours!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
And the bad cuticle work.... I got nipped once and bled for hours!

Same here, I got nipped too and another time my cuticles looked absolutely fine when I walked out of the salon and then a few hours later; they started to peel off... I think the man who did my manicure had just cut too much of the cuticles and they were weakened. I need a manicure now, but I am putting it off because of the peeling experience I had last time.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |