Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Ways to clean makeup brushes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jesselyn
5% products discount

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi, just wondering whether people have their own methods for cleaning makeup brushes or do they buy ready made formulas? Thanks!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I use a ready made product that comes in a spray bottle. I know there are many brands out there and I did not spend a ton of money on mine. I just like the option to spray the brushes (I do them at night, so they are dry by the morning), rinse them in warm water and then shake shake shake them really hard to get off all the water (I do it in the shower, so not to make a mess). Then I put them in an upright canister so they can air dry. I do notice after I clean my brushes, they always seem softer on my face, eyes. Do keep in mind, that they do get wore out after so many cleanings. I have expensive brushes and I notice loose hairs and stuff after months. But you have to clean them right?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I use CoverFX cleaning solution - it has tea tree oil in it and it does a GREAT job.

I used to use baby shampoo on my brushes as it is gentle on the hair (would you call this hair...??) and air dry lying down. Lying down so that water doesn't seep back into the "head" part of the brush. They dry very well this way and I haven't had any problems.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I love MAC brush cleaner! On my 3rd bottle.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I wash my brushes with my face cleanser.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I use California Baby shampoo -- I think it's the sensitive formula.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
i know mac and bb have the special product for cleaning brushs. some people use shampoo to clean brush.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I use Burt's Bees Baby Bee Hair & Body Wash shampoo to clean my makeup brushes.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,
I have a followup question that does not warrant a new thread...when you buy a new brush, do you wash it before first use? I can't help wondering about leftover chemicals used in processing, especially when it comes to synthetic brushes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have purchased a number of brush cleaners in the past. However, I have been told by both Chanel and Trish McEvoy reps that they wash their own brushes with a gentle shampoo. That is what I do now (although not as frequently as I should!) and haven't had any problems with my brushes.
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Another vote for the MAC cleaner ... but baby shampoo is awesome too. And soooooooo much cheaper!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Ladies,
I have a followup question that does not warrant a new thread...when you buy a new brush, do you wash it before first use? I can't help wondering about leftover chemicals used in processing, especially when it comes to synthetic brushes.

Always!
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
i usually clean my brushes with either shower foam or shampoo. Wink this was a method my regular MA taught me. then use tower to *press* out the water in the brush & leave it to dry.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:24 am      Reply with quote
I wash makeup brush with hand soap. it works good.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Mild shampoos and soaps are good but apparently one should make sure no glycerine in it (from Asquirrel website).
I use Trish McEvoy brush wash once a week, shake the brush out, then roll in a clean towel, then leave to dry flat on a sweater rack (gives circulation but supports the brush head so the hairs don't dry out of whack). Leaves my brushes very clean and lovel and soft. You shouldn't ever leave them upright to dry as water gets into the ferrule. I also have a brush cleaner which is I use to spray clean/wipe after every use but these are very chemically.
P.S. Yes I do wash my brushes before first use but I do that with anything I buy (clothes etc)
Jesselyn
5% products discount

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies! I was considering getting the MAC one before reading your posts. Just wondering for all those who use shampoo, do you dilute it or use it neat?
wahine220
5% products discount

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
i used to use shampoo but switched to the bare minerals brush cleaner which is sold at my local bare escentuals store. i got it as a sample and love it!
kwchan1007
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:21 am      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
I wash my brushes with my face cleanser.

me too! Cool
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Jesselyn wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! I was considering getting the MAC one before reading your posts. Just wondering for all those who use shampoo, do you dilute it or use it neat?

I use the shampoo neat.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Bobbi Brown has brush cleanser, which is good.
mooon
5% products discount

Thu May 17, 2007 1:42 am      Reply with quote
I use MAC cleaner! Its great as I can feel all the color comes off from the brush immediately! Definitely worth it! Very Happy
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I usually let the brushes sit in eye makeup remover to get rid of excess makeup then clean them with shampoo.
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 7:25 am      Reply with quote
After reading this thread the other day I cleaned my flat-top JI brush w/ some mild shampoo. It cleaned it well but the bristles seem to be a bit more spread out than before. Can someone tell me when you're cleaning them, exactly how do you do it so I know I'm doing it correctly, thanks!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 7:49 am      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
After reading this thread the other day I cleaned my flat-top JI brush w/ some mild shampoo. It cleaned it well but the bristles seem to be a bit more spread out than before. Can someone tell me when you're cleaning them, exactly how do you do it so I know I'm doing it correctly, thanks!

dancar3, I use a gentle shampoo to clean my makeup brushes once a week with the same methods used to clean my sable watercolor brushes; brushes have lasted me for a long time.

1. Place a dime size amount of gentle, sulfate-free shampoo in your left hand.
2. With brush in right hand and bristles slanted toward the bottom of the sink, rinse your brush under warm to tepid water. Be sure the bristles are thoroughly wet and do your best NOT to get the ferrule [ metal part that attaches the bristles to the handle ] too wet.
3. Now swirl the brush into your cupped left hand to distribute shampoo throughout. You should see the powder or paint coming out as you rinse under running water. Don't be afraid to use your fingers to separate the bristles and really make sure particles are being removed. Continue to rinse until it's clear.
4. Flick the brush over sink, then squeeze lightly to remove more. Gently reshape the brush, then set it on it's side with the bristles either hanging over the sink or counter to allow air to circulate. Never!! Shock dry your brushes by placing into a cup with the brush head pointing up - this causes water to run into the ferrule, which will eventually cause bristles to loosen and fall out.
5. If I notice that my watercolor brushes are not springing as quickly to a point as they usually do, I'll condition them with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.

I hope this helps! Very Happy

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I just use baby shampoo, gentle and works well.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |