Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Question for Retin A (Tretinoin) users
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mermaid7000
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I was recently prescribed a cream containing tretinoin and clindamycin for acne/wrinkles. My questions are directed to those of you who use Retin A:

1. How long do you need to wait after applying the Retin A before you apply moisturizer on top of it?

2. Is the Retin A only working if your skin starts drying up or peeling? Do any of you have excessively dry or peeling skin from it?

3. Can I apply this in the morning instead of evening as I do not go outside in the sun that much and always wear a sunscreen if I do?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:46 am      Reply with quote
You should not have to wait any time before applying a moisturizer because the tretinoin does not have to convert to anything, like a retinol product does. You do not have to peel/flake, etc, for the product to be working. Some people get that, others don't. It depends on how sensitive your skin is. I would not recommend you use the RA in the daytime due to the sun sensitivy issues it causes. Make sure to use a very good sunscreen every morning, especially when on a RA product. Hope this helps!
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
You can put your Retin A on over on under your moisturzier at night.

If you are peeling, that is a sign of overuse. You may flake a little, but peeling is a sign of too much. Cut down one night. Retin A causes the top skin cells to die off.

ABSOLUTELY Must you NOT use it during the day. Your Doc should of told you this. It IS NOT meant for day use (even if you wear sunscreen)

Cool
mermaid7000
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Actually, my Dr. prescribed 2 medicines, one for morning and one for evening. The one with Retin-A is for evening. And the daytime one is a combo of clindamycin and Benzoyl Peroxide.

However, my skin is so dry right now even with a moisturizer, so I only wash my face once a day in the morning. I know using these medicines and washing it twice a day is going to dry it like a prune even with a moisturizer. That's why I was going to use just the one cream in the morning. When I told the Dr. about the dry skin she told me I don't have to use soap when I wash in morning, just use water and then apply the cream. But I just think that's gross with all the sweat and oil barriers that have accumulated on my skin overnite (not enough oil to take away the dryness on cheeks though). What am I suppose to do to prevent this dryness?? If I use a heavier moisturizer it's just going to clog up my pores, thus do reverse of what I'm suppose to be accomplishing.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Are you using Ziana? This is what I am using and is tretinoin plus clindamycin. To answer your quetions:

1. No specific wait time is required. I wait about 14 minutes to allow it to be absorbed and to dry. It is best that you apply the RetinA before your moisturizer but applying it over a moisturizer is a good option if you are experiencing alot of irritation.

2. RetinA does not need to dry the skin or cause peeling to work. I agree with Sandra that this is a bad thing and that if this happens you need to back off. Since this product also contains clindamycin it is not a good idea to skip too many days. I will occasionally skip a day but try to apply it every night. I have very senstive skin and did experience some irritation when I first started using this. But my skin seems to have adjusted now.

3. I agree with SandraG-this should ABSOLUTELY not be used during the day. Tretinoin is deactivated by sunlight and may cause a photosensitizing reaction. This photosensitizing effect of RetinA is seperate from the fact that it thins the stratum corneum making you more prone to photodamage.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Oops! I didn't see your post when I replied. What are you washing your face with? A while back I used Differin (gentler retinoid than RetinA) in the evening and BP plus clindamycin in the morning. I know it sounds gross but I did very well with only washing my face in the evening and using water only in the morning. I added BP to my morning routine about a week ago and may actually go back to using water only washings in the mornings if my skin cannot tolerate it. I also have an elaborate moisturizing routine. I always use a light hydrator plus a more emolient moisturizer (in the mornings I also use sunscreen). Also, BP cannot be used at the same time as tretinoin-they need to be used seperately.
mermaid7000
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL - Yes I'm using Ziana and the other is Duac.

It really doesn't matter how gentle a cleanser I use to wash my face, it seems to dry out. I was using Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin Cleanser(which I still use to wash my eye makeup off). And now my dermatologist recommended this cleanser with Beta Hydroxy/Glycolic that she has their in her office. It seems to work ok. With the moisturizer now after washing my face it still feels a tad tight on one cheek. I don't know if this is normal or not?
wahine220
5% products discount

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:55 am      Reply with quote
i just started with tretinoin .025% and my doctor told me to only use it in the evening after washing my face with a gentle non-irritating cleanser, moisturizing and then applying the tretinoin 30 minutes later. i read in the pamphlet that came with it, that your skin needs to dry for at least 20 - 30 minutes after washing for the tretinoin to fully penetrate. hth!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Which Clean and Clear cleanser were you using? The Cream or the Foaming one? Also, are you using the BP all over or just on your acne prone areas?

I don't want to question your dermatologist here but unless your skin is super resistant I think that adding a BHA/glycolic cleanser to your routine is WAY too much. If you had been using BP and tretinoin for a while and were not experiencing any irritation then maybe it might be okay to add this but my humble opinion here is that you are really overdoing it by using the cleanser.
mermaid7000
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
The cleanser is called Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, Sensitive Skin and it's oil-free.

I thought the BHA/Glycolic cleanser might be a bit much as well. Maybe I'll use that every other day till my skin gets use to the other products.

I haven't used the Benzoyl Peroxide cream yet, I might just save that for spot treatment because I don't like all the bleaching and drying effects it gives.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering if it was the foaming one. Just going by the ingredients that cleanser seems to have some strong detergents. I suppose it would matter how much of those detergents it has but I would suggest looking for another cleanser and see if that helps.

I know what you mean about BP, I find it very harsh too! I tried to make do without using this for a while now and finally caved in and started using it again becasue nothing else seems to be able to really get my acne under control like BP! I have fine tuned my application of it and unlike the retinA which I apply everywhere I have a very limited area that I apply the BP to. I hope that you can get your acne under control with just the Ziana. Unfortunatly, that didn't do it for me. Sad
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I use tazorac at night only and am supposed to use Duac in the am. I was getting really dry (prunish) and couldn't stand it. When I quit putting the Duac all over my face, the problem went away (so it was the bp and antibiotic not the taz)- so now I just spot treat with the Duac as needed and I am so much happier!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I was prescribed Tazorac and Benzclin by my Derm almost a year ago. He did specify that I should use a gentle cleanser when I wash my face, something like Cetaphil (which I have used for about six months and have recently switched to Acne Free cleanser). I am with some on the fact that I have to wash my face in the am and the pm (with cleanser). My derm said use the Tazorac, ONLY at night when I am not going out anymore. My face experienced some drying in areas when I first starting using it (and occassionally) if I use to much. My Benzclin I use in the am after I wash my face and use a toner. I do wait in between washing/toner and then applying. Maybe not long enough, but I just don't have that much time in the AM. I do notice that if I use a really gentle cleanser like Cetaphil, it just does not keep my oils at bay. I found using a cleanser with Sal. Acid helps keep my skin from getting super oil fast. I do believe that the combination of Tazorac and the Benzclin has helped my skin 100%! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Mermaid-- I use Tazorac which is a cousin of retin-a. I love it, unfortunately, I've found that when I use it I CANNOT wash my twice a day, otherwise it gets too dry. However, like you I worry about the oil the accumulated on my skin overnight causing acne, etc. My solution was to start using Zenbiotic's Rinseless Cleanser. (www.zenbiotic.com ) You just spray it on your face, kinda smooth it over your skin, and then gently wipe your face off with a cotton pad. It leaves your skin very clean with no oil or residue, but it doesn't dry your skin out like regular washing does. I use it every morning and I swear by it. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Mermaid-- I use Tazorac which is a cousin of retin-a. I love it, unfortunately, I've found that when I use it I CANNOT wash my twice a day, otherwise it gets too dry. However, like you I worry about the oil the accumulated on my skin overnight causing acne, etc. My solution was to start using Zenbiotic's Rinseless Cleanser. (www.zenbiotic.com ) You just spray it on your face, kinda smooth it over your skin, and then gently wipe your face off with a cotton pad. It leaves your skin very clean with no oil or residue, but it doesn't dry your skin out like regular washing does. I use it every morning and I swear by it. HTH!

This product sounds wonderful. Do you use any of their others?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:

This product sounds wonderful. Do you use any of their others?

It IS wonderful-- I'm totally addicted to it! It's probably my favorite item from the Zenbiotic line, although I do use a few others from time to time such as the Moisture Enrich, Toner, Phyto Moisture, Sun Protect, Body Lotion, etc. All of their products are 100% natural and they have a really nice herbal scent. Plus it's one of the only skincare lines to have NEVER broken me out. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
It IS wonderful-- I'm totally addicted to it! It's probably my favorite item from the Zenbiotic line, although I do use a few others from time to time such as the Moisture Enrich, Toner, Phyto Moisture, Sun Protect, Body Lotion, etc. All of their products are 100% natural and they have a really nice herbal scent. Plus it's one of the only skincare lines to have NEVER broken me out. HTH!

I think I am going to order a few of their products. They do seem to be resonable in price. The Rinseless Cleanser sounds like something I would really like as most days when I am at home I like to wash my face in the middle of the day and just wear moisturizer until my night routine. This product would fit right in as a middle of the day cleanser.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Ok...I'm not in the same boat as all the other posters and strongly disagree about using moisturizers. I've been using Retin A since 1987 after finding a tiny article in the newspaper about an acne medication that showed promise correcting sun damaged skin. I rushed to my dermatologist office, and here I am, a 20 year veteran. Ok, so I've used all kinds of Retin A's, but now use Tazorac. I was never instructed to dilute it by applying a moisturizer over it, rather just to wash the face, let it dry completely for 20-30 mins ( I never can wait that long)--then to apply the product. BTW, I have an old book simply called RETIN A, written in 1989 and this Doc is very clear in his directions for application: "It's best not to have any other chemicals on the skin to interfere with Retin A. ("but do moisturize in the AM.")
I really believe if you want to get all the benefits, don't put anything else in the mix! My 2 cents..... Cool
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I do not use moisture as long as I can stand it. My doctor said it would effect only after peeling and dryness.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mermaid7000,

What about trying the OCM, that is cleansing your face with oil. It actually doesn't make your face oily, rather oil cleanses oil. Just make sure you wash it off thoroughly with warm water. It's a very soothing way to cleanse the skin. I use this along with Retin-A and am not having any problems. I definitely wouldn't recommend using harsh or chemical cleansers with Retin-A.
mermaid7000
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your recommendations. My dermatologist office said I can apply a moisturizer over the retin a so I guess it's ok?

I'm actually looking for better products for my skin, but have a hard time making up my mind Laughing
There is just too many different ones I like the looks of! Same with eye creams. I'm in a debate between about 6 different ones that look good.

I'm not sure which is better for your skin - antioxidants/vitamins, proteins or peptides? I'm having a difficult time finding a product that has all in it.....
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |