Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

really sorry....more questions about sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
croeber
5% products discount

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I just HAVE to make sure that my ss routine is effective. Just a little history..skin cancer runs in my family. I just had a spot of skin cancer removed on my arm, I'm only 30. It has left quite a scar, I don't want this to happen again!! I've been using LRP dermo peds spf40 daily for about a year. Is it OK to mattify with some Jurlique lavender silk dust powder before applying my makeup? I'd wait for 15 min after applying the ss.
Also, I may be looking to switch to a higher spf/ppd given my history. i've been looking at Bioderma.
This avobenzone issue - do you only have to worry about mineral makeup causing it to degrade or all makeup foundations????
I've been looking at a powder ss to reapply mid-day, but they have been mineral/physical ss. Is this a good idea over ss that contains avobenzone? Sorry i'm really confused by this - I've been searching through posts all day and would appreciate any help!!!
paleface
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Your situation sounds a lot like mine! A basal cell carcinoma on one arm got me deep into the study of sun protection and skin care. Thankfully, I haven't had any further malignancies, but I've had a number of pre-cancerous lesions removed.

Rest assured that you're getting excellent protection with the LRP SPF 40. Just be sure to apply 1/4 teaspoon to your face and another 1/4 teaspoon to your neck.

The Jurlique Lavender Silk Dust will not degrade avobenzone since it's cornstarch based. You do need to be careful with mineral makeups, though, because talc, mica and titanium dioxide do degrade avobenzone. Hence powders with physical sunscreens are also problematic, as are just about all liquid foundations. I encourage you simply to consider the Lavender Silk Dust your foundation and leave it at that. (You can also use it for touch-ups during the day.)

To be absolutely sure you're as protected as possible, just reapply your sunscreen periodically through the day, depending on your exposure.

LRP's Dermo Peds SPF 50+/PPD 28 is a stronger formula if you're looking for a more powerful product; I've heard good things about Bioderma sunscreens, but for some reason every one I tried made me break out.

Wear a wide-brimmed hat and wrap-around sunglasses when you're outside, plus protective clothing (Sun Precautions makes great stuff), and you're set.

Hope this helps!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I just thought I would give a different option for your sunscreen For some time now I have been using the Remergent SPF30 and I can stay out all day in the Australian sun without any problems using this sunscreen. I may be deluding myself but I believed that the company that has formulated a product to help with skin cancers would probably know how to make an effective sunscreen and I think Remergent has done just that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
croeber wrote:

This avobenzone issue - do you only have to worry about mineral makeup causing it to degrade or all makeup foundations????
I've been looking at a powder ss to reapply mid-day, but they have been mineral/physical ss. Is this a good idea over ss that contains

I'd say it is a bad idea, especially over your LRP because it seems to rely very heavily on Avo for it's protection.

Have you looked at the Avene range, again an estimated high PPD of 20, but you are free to use MMU over them as they don't use Avobenzone.?
There's a very confusing thread here on them
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22334&start=50
But ask away, I know it's baffling and there's a hub of long-term, happy and experienced users here.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Molly, how are you going with Avene's 20+ emulsion? I remember you said you were tanning with it on. I havent got round to ordering yet. Im not sure whether to get that or the one La vie bought Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carol - D'you know despite the lower SPF I'm really finding it useful. I'll certainly be using it in the winter - it's invisible near as damn it. I used to skimp on protecting my neck and chest regularly because it's annoying to have greasy stuff get on your hair and clothes, but now I use it there every day and the skin on my neck is really appreciating it.

If the sun peaks again I think I'll use my SPF 40, but at the moment I'm using the Lait SPF 40 on my lower cheeks (hyperpig problem) and back of hands, cream SPF 20 on my eyes (need more moisture there) and the 20 emulsion on everything else. This is on incidental exposure days not BBQs. I'm not tanning and I really like it!

My only problem is when it gets really hot and this might sound strange to you, but the tube does overheats quite considerably and rapidly, there's no air con down there at all. So, I think I do have a problem with the anti-sebum stuff in those conditions because my nose and cheeks start to prickle a bit and go a touch red. I don't think it's the sun, but the heat starts a reaction in me so whether it will hold up mid-summer is another matter.

and Australia ain't the UK
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:09 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention my EARS Laughing I'd repurchase just for them.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:25 am      Reply with quote
It sounds like it may be good for days Im not out much, if at all....like today its been raining all day! and ive been stuck indoors. It bloody great though as we were in a drought Confused

You know I always forget my ears Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:27 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
You know I always forget my ears Confused

Me too usually - that's the beauty of it. You know what old ears look like - yuk!
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Does tinosorb also react with MMU? I LOVE my SS, and don't really want to try something else.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:03 am      Reply with quote
Tinosorb + MMU = fine

but only as far as we know - I don't believe any of these SS have been rigorously tested with MMU on top, but there's no obvious contradiction with the chemicals themselves.

Avene uses tinosorbs without Avobenzone so it's good for MMU

Bioderma uses tinosorbs *with* Avobenzone so no good for MMU

HTH M Cool
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:08 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Molly for your quick reply! I just got very confused trying to figure it out on my own. Laughing

*splashing on huge amounts of SS and MMU before going out in the Swiss sun*

5% products discount

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:31 am      Reply with quote
thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think now it's on to finding a protective ss I like that doesn't contain avobenzone. It would be really difficult to reapply my ss and makeup throughout the day...so I'll be looking for a ss powder that I can touch up with throughout the day. I've been applying the dermo peds in the morning and then not reapplying until I get home from work! I know this isn't good enough. I think I'll look into the Remergent 30 or Avene - thanks!
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Molly do you know the ppd or uva protection with Remergent?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
Molly do you know the ppd or uva protection with Remergent?

Sorry, I don't. Maybe someone more adept could put its chemicals through the PPD simulator thingy.
jordan1212

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Great question. I own so many ss, and I always wear my alima mineral makeup on top. So no wonder, my melasma still shows up in the summer even though I wear LRP SPF50+, PPD28 sunscreen. I ordered some avene SPF 20 that I am waiting for in the mail. I am hoping this will work for days I wear makeup. Since I can't reapply on top of makeup, could I use the Peter Thomas Roth SPF 30 powder on top during the day? That shouldn't hurt an avene sunscreen right, because no avobenzone?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Just have some questions about the PPD of ss while we are at it. How many hrs can a PPD of 8 protect us from the UVA? Also, the stickiness and greasiness of the ss is usually contributed to the high SPF or PPD? Thanks!! Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Just looked it up tsjmom and it's actually pretty easy to guess from the active ingredients, which are;

Contains Photosomes, Ultrasomes, vitamins C and E, micronized Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide

Unfortunately with the micronised physical filters the protections tails off rather badly at the far end of the UVA spectrum so I don't think it would achieve a very high PPD. It would certainly be lower than the euros.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
jordan1212 wrote:
That shouldn't hurt an avene sunscreen right, because no avobenzone?

That's right, but the 20SPF might be a little low for summer.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |