Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Traveling with skincare products on a plane, etc...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have gotten rather fanatical about not leaving my cosmetic bag or vitamin pouch in a hot car so I've been wondering about traveling with skincare products. I'm getting ready to fly to Vermont and I know there are limitations on container sizes of carry on items, so that may force me to put stuff in my checked luggage. Is there a lot of heat in the belly of a plane that will ruin my copper peptides, retin A, C-serum, etc!?! Some of these items don't lend themselves to being transfered into other containers. Thoughts?
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
We just traveled and believe you could have up to 2oz. products with you. I brought my tazorac (and a few other things) on board - I was worried about the heat. It was no problem - the only thing they didn't let on was a hairspray that was too large. If you look at your products, most of them probably aren't over 2 ounces.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!
I have just come back from a trip to Florida (from UK) and I wondered about this too. (My little plastic flight bag had lots of teeny sample sizes in it ....so did OH's!!! LOL! Laughing )

I took two small sample bottles of my C serum in my onboard allowance but my other products that I had in my checked luggage seemed to fair ok, no discolouration, separation. My OH has just told me that the hold is pressurised so should be only slightly cooler than the cabin. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think the hold on planes is heated. I've had toiletries in hand luggage and in the hold loads of times, never had any problems yet. Just make sure you store them well so that they don't leak, I usually use ziplocks and then wrap them around towels.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sarahb is right theholdisn't heated except the area they stow live cargo/livestock, although it is pressuriszed. This thread makes interesting reading!

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3370525/

Also this taken from a site that is into guitars:
"While the guitar is in the baggage hold and the plane is in the air, more insults are possible. You've heard about the cold and the vacuum there, but that's mostly a fallacy. Commercial aircraft baggage holds are heated (to some extent) and pressurized. There is usually enough "thermal mass" in the cargo hold to keep your guitar within a satisfactory temperature range on flights of moderate length (though long flights might be a cause for concern), and the inside of the fuselage never gets nearly as cold as the outside air. (50 degrees below zero at 30,000 ft!). The big problems inside the airplane are still the same ones as during baggage handling: contact and impact. There may be a lot of baggage in the hold, and the guitar may be on the bottom of it all. Or there may be less than the normal amount of items, and during an air turbulence bump or hard landing, the guitar and case may do a little flying of their own. Still, the baggage hold itself is not such a terrible place for a properly packed instrument."

I figure the same applies to beauty stash!!LOL!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 12:30 am      Reply with quote
You're allowed up to 3 oz containers of liquids and gels. All the containers must be put in a one quart zip lock bag.

You don't have to worry about the cargo hold when it comes to heat during cooler seasons. The concern is how long the luggage sits on the tarmac before it gets loaded and the plane takes off. Also if you have connecting flights, your luggage may sit on the tarmac again. Of course you won't have to worry if all the places have cool or cold climates.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I have the same problems and issues with traveling, checking luggage and the heat that could possibly ruin expensive products. And you KNOW I am not leaving the house without some of them. Here is what I did. Those freezer ice packs that you use for injuries, I used a large zip lock bag, put in my products and dropped two ice packs in with the products. When I arrived (Maui) 6 hours the ice packs were a little melted, but my products were perfect (NOT FROZEN) either. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Bergquis, what a great idea! The next time I travel, that's what I'm doing. Thank you!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Glad it helped. You guys all help me so much every daily. Love this site

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Bergquis...wow, that is such a cool idea (no pun intended.) I'm going to do that just for peace of mind even though my flight isn't that long. Thanks for the suggestion!
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
charis wrote:
We just traveled and believe you could have up to 2oz. products with you. I brought my tazorac (and a few other things) on board - I was worried about the heat. It was no problem - the only thing they didn't let on was a hairspray that was too large. If you look at your products, most of them probably aren't over 2 ounces.

Do you mean the size of each item has to be less than 2 oz or the total of all of them must be? If this new?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
In the U.S. it's 3 oz or less in a 1 quart bag with 1 bag per passenger.

I had sample sized containers that I fit 10 days worth of my products in. It was great, not only did I travel light but I got to take everything I use daily!

You can carry prescription liquids and contact solution more than 3 oz but they CANNOT be in your 1 qt. baggie.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, never knew this. Wonder why I was never stopped. Makeup not a problem is it? I always carry on bottles that I am afraid of spilling. Full sizes sometimes.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Wow...never stopped? You've been lucky then!

If they do catch you they throw it out...
I saw them throw out two bottles of perfume and the lady was so distraught. I felt bad but rules are rules...she should have checked them.

My friend was on his way from Austria and he bought two bottles of Scotch IN the airport and they made him throw it out.

You never know with TSA! These rules have been in place for awhile.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
This is new. I don't know the exact date it changed, but last summer I flew and it wasn't an issue, but I flew to Hawaii a couple weeks ago and it was being enforced - people's products were being confiscated and set out on a table. Make-up (non-liquid) is not a problem.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
At first there were no liquids allowed at all (carry-on only) on flights...then they changed it to 3 oz. The 3 oz rule went into effect in September...so it's not all that new, unless you don't fly often (I don't...only once a year).

ETA: This is an article from Sept. of last year talking about the restrictions going into effect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/25/us/25flycnd.html?ex=1316836800&en=4df284c92ae254fd&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have not flown since last summer so that explains it. Well good to know know. Guess that forces me to put things in little containers now. Will lighten the load significantly - that is one good thing!
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
I fly a lot internationally, and here's how it goes now:

- One, 1 quart clear Zip Lock bag, filled with as many bottles or containers you can cram into it...provided each container is less than 3 oz. (90 ml.) The containers size has to be 3 oz. or less...not a larger bottle with 2 oz. of stuff in it!

- Be aware of high alcohol content. My husband had his mini hand sanitizer confiscated leaving Mexico because it is considered flammable. That was a surprise!! Very Happy
babybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
In the U.S. it's 3 oz or less in a 1 quart bag with 1 bag per passenger.

Strange...I recently flew out of Newark, New Jersey where they only allowed 1 oz. of liquids & gels to be carried onto the plane. Do I look the part of a troublemaker?

Luckily, I checked most of my toiletries so I didn't have to part with them. I did almost lose my favorite perfume, packaged in a 1 oz. bottle, to a stickler at the x-ray check.
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm loving this thread as I've had stuff confiscated in Chicago, Detroit, AND Philadelphia.

Hmmm.

Is it permissible to repack items in ones' one container/s? I could easily live w/just 2oz. of a given product but I'd siphon some off from a larger bottle. Is this ok?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
What you should do is print off the page from TSA because some TSA employees don't know their own rules...you get 3oz!!!

Just make sure the container is 3 oz. or less...as was stated before...2 oz. in a 5 oz container will be thrown out, but 2 oz. in a 3 oz. container should not be.
And I used my own sample containers...they didn't have a problem. Granted some had labels on them, but that wasn't the product that was in them!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |