Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Best DIY Antioxidant Formula
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I've learned so much from this section of the forum and am incorporating alot of diy stuff into my regime.
I've focused a lot on things that give almost instant gratification..meaning my skin looks better pretty fast but what I've always neglected is the preventatives (other than sunscreen, I use that).
What is the best diy antioxident formula? There's so much to choose from these days!
tia
Kim
Masha
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
I know what you mean, it drives you crazy, you could end up putting the whole world into your formula if you listen to everything!

Many antioxidants work synergistically and many have multiple benefits like skin lightening or anti-inflammatory properties, so you can take advantage of that fact and use antioxidants which have those benefits too if you wanted.

Some antioxidants also are more powerful and more efficient than others, so it's better to stick to these rather than be distracted by lesser efficient ones that will only take up valuable space in your formula.

As my general rules:
I try to use smaller amounts rather than larger. This way the antioxidants won't be competing for absorption and you won't be wasting.

Secondly:
My understanding is that if antioxidants etc. are found together in nature than that should be a relatively safe indication that they should be stable enough to mix in your own formula.

And third:
Try to choose a selection of antioxidant which will play different roles in their assault against free radicals.

So guided by this knowledge I tend to use small amounts of a selection of powerful broad spectrum antioxidants that will also provide me with other benefits, like anti-inflammation.

It's very difficult to say which would be the best since it's a matter of tailoring to each person's needs and how much personal weight you hold to the research about them and even how well they personally work for you in the end.

It's such a sickening bothersome pain lol. And it's hard to answer directly, which is why many haven't answered. But I can tell you I find these in my own understanding to be the best for me:

Lipophilic:
Vitamin C (Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate)(from Lotion Crafter)
Vitamin E + Tocotrienols (I buy the LEF capsules)
CoQ10 (from Garden of Wisdom)
Carotenoids such as: Lycopene, Lutein, Astaxanthin and the amino-acid L-Carnosine (from Beyond-a-Century)

Hydrophilic:
Activin Grape Seed Extract (beyond-a-century)
Green Tea Extract (haven't bought this yet but will from bulk actives)
Niacinamide (buy it in caps from NOW brand)

Also R-Lipoic Acid is a really excellent antioxidant but I haven't incorporated this into my skin routine yet. I fount Doctor's Best brand to be a good one but haven't incorporated yet because I'm not too happy with the fillers in it

Sorry it got so long Anxious but I hope I could provide some insight. Have fun in searching for the best antioxidants for you if that's even possible Brick wall

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Masha!
That helps alot.
It seems like 10 years ago, there were so many less to choose from.
I do have some of the niacinamide from NOW. That's great stuff.
It was really helpful that you listed the hydrophilic & lipophilic ones separately. Smile
You're right. I really do just have to start reading & researching this. Confused
Kim
michelle g.
5% products discount

Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Masha,

That was very well said, also very helpful.

Thanks,
Michelle
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't the more usual forms of vitamin C be included among the hydrophilic? Or was that a deliberate ommission?
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Juice Beauty Antioxident serum...if you check EDS you can get more details on it. I use this, with Vivier Kine-C and they really are a dynamic duo for me. Very Happy
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
melanie haber wrote:
Wouldn't the more usual forms of vitamin C be included among the hydrophilic? Or was that a deliberate ommission?

Yes, L-Ascorbic Acid and Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate would be among that list. The items listed under each of those lists are just a few examples - a comprehensive list for each would be VERY VERY long. And some powdered actives are neither really hydrophilic nor lipophilic, they have to be nuked (i.e. dissolved) in solvents ranging from glycerin to glycols to alcohol.

I am still learning after a year of DIY, and experiencing pure joy from creating wondrously skin-softening and hydrating 5-phase formulations.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 6:41 am      Reply with quote
What a great list, thanks Masha, this makes some things pretty clear, I atleast get the gist of some of this stuff, now on to researching the diff between lipophilic and hydrphilic, slowly but surely I am learning Smile

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
I am still learning after a year of DIY, and experiencing pure joy from creating wondrously skin-softening and hydrating 5-phase formulations.

Nyonyakay
It really is gratifying isn't it!
Do you have some good recipes you could share or point us in the direction of where to find them?

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |