Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

REVIEW - Makebelieve Self Tan Lotion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Makebelieve Self Tan Lotion

This is the second in my fake tan review trilogy. But first, there's something I have to say:

POTENTIAL HG ALERT!!!!!

Right, now I've got that out of my system, it's on with the review...

Ingredients: aqua, propylene glycol, coconut oil, dihydroxyacetone, polysorbate 60, isopropyl myristate, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, sorbitan stearate, stearic acid, glycerin, cannabis sativa seed oil, shea butter, hydrolzed citrus aurantium dulcis fruit extract, butylene glycol, PEG-8, bupleurum falcatum extract, caffeine, coenzyme A, orbigyna oleifera, bertholletia excelsa seed oil, pimenta officinalis, erythrulose, sesame seed oil, jojoba seed oil, sunflower seed oil, olive oil, tea tree leaf oil, green tea extract, calendula officinalis, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, HMDM hydantoin, tocopheryl acetate, sodium gluconate, potassium sorbate, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, parfum, BHT, citric acid

The Promises:
"Your true radiance will shine through, with this self-tan lotion. Whether pale or dark skinned, it will help to enhance your natural tone, while conditioning and refining your skin.

Quick to absorb, a long lasting and even golden glow develops within 2-4 hours, leaving you looking great and feeling fantastic.

An exotic blend of Rainforest, Hempseed, Jojoba Oils and Shea Butter, known for their moisturising and skin softening properties, combine with leading skincare ingredients to infuse hydration, tone and elasticity. Enriched with an active tanning ingredient, derived from sugar beets, your skin will look and feel renewed, smooth and glowing."

My verdict - does it deliver?:
A lot of big promises from this one.

First things first. I have to say that the packaging is truly stunning. The stylish box depicts a glowing, golden-tanned woman making her way through a lush, exotic jungle of flowers, and I do love the Gothic logo. Inside is a cylindrical plastic bottle, again attractively fairytale Gothic in design, with a pump dispenser and cap. (Good, because I do hate pump dispensers which don't come with a cap, as they're hopeless for travelling.)

As always, I gave myself a very thorough exoliation with my buffing cloth beforehand and applied moisturiser to particularly dry areas like ankles, knees and elbows.

The instructions tell you to use this product daily until you build up your desired colour, then to apply once or twice weekly, as necessary, after that.

Scent-wise, there was a definite coconut-vanilla fragrance - so much nicer than most fake tans. The texture was more of a cream than a lotion, I found.

It is recommended to massage the product well into the skin until no residue remains, so this is exactly what I did. Not difficult, because it sinks in very easily, and, true to the blurb, dried pretty quickly. I made sure to use only a very small amount to swipe over the usual suspects - elbows and hands.

(Please note that on this occasion, I was pushed for time, so only applied the self-tanner to my upper body. I will provide a lower body update in due course.)

Once again, you must ALWAYS remember to wash your hands thoroughly at regular intervals if you apply your fake tan without gloves.

As usual, I waited 30 minutes before dressing for bed, although I'm sure 15 minutes would have been enough.

As with the Vita Liberata, there was no horrible biscuity whiff the next morning. On sniffing my skin, putting my nose actually against it, there was an almost imperceptible scent (which may have been vanilla). So there was no husband leaping out of bed, yelling accusingly: "Eurgh! You've got fake tan on, haven't you!"

A few EDS posters have mentioned in the past that adding vanilla EO to fake tan products will disguise the traditional biscuity stench. I've never been able to try this, as I usually use a spray tan. However, this makes me think that it might actually work pretty well.

When I got into the light to check my tan, I found it to be a very natural golden colour, exactly as stated in the blurb.

I am pale-skinned, and the colour achieved was perfect for spring/autumn/winter for me - but a couple of coats would probably be needed for summer. In fact, I'm guessing that 3 might be needed for my legs. Will give you an update when I found out.

The blurb does mention that light and dark skins will both achieve a natural tone, but I did find the colour to be light and am, therefore, unsure as to how much it would show up on darker skin.

There was no streakiness where I'd applied the tan (upper body only, remember), just a nice, even, colour - without a single trace of orange. There were no parts I had to buff to tone down the colour or effect.

The other claims made in the blurb were that this lotion is hydrating and gives your skin tone and elasticity.

Well, fake tanners can often dry out skin. In fact, my skin usually looks a little parched after using them. This one, however, left my skin feeling fine and comfortable next morning. As for tone and elasticity, I didn't really notice any difference. Perhaps regular use might enhance this?

Once again, there was no colour transference onto sheets or clothing.

I applied this product on Friday night and it was still looking perfect on Wednesday (today). The only reason I exfoliated it off was in order to try another fake tanner this coming weekend. Otherwise, it would have definitely continued for at least another day, and perhaps longer. There was certainly no sign of patchy wear-off.

In summary:
Yes - it gives a believable, natural, golden tan
Yes - it smells great and doesn't leave a telltale fake tan stench
Yes - it's reasonably hydrating and doesn't dry out skin
Yes - it's long-lasting and doesn't fade patchily.
Maybe - undecided about tone and elasticity claims

My only gripe is that this is fairly expensive. Why is this always the case - sigh? At least with this product, you may pay more, but you get more too.

I will update on how it fares on lower body areas as soon as I get the chance to try.

In conclusion:
Buy it!!!!
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 12:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review
I am a big fake tan fan, and was particularly intrigued by your comment that this one has no tell tale after smell!! So many of the fake tanners go on smelling lovely, but 2 hours later your skin smells awful!!
I would like to give this one a try, but I have never heard of, or seen this one here in Canada. I was wondering what country you are in, or where you got it. Question
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 6:54 am      Reply with quote
luvyourskin wrote:
Thanks for the great review
I am a big fake tan fan, and was particularly intrigued by your comment that this one has no tell tale after smell!! So many of the fake tanners go on smelling lovely, but 2 hours later your skin smells awful!!
I would like to give this one a try, but I have never heard of, or seen this one here in Canada. I was wondering what country you are in, or where you got it. Question

You're most welcome, me dear. Very Happy

I bought mine here in the UK, from Boots the Chemist. (BTW - for fellow UK'ers, Boots currently are giving up to 500 Advantage points with each Makebelieve purchase. I shall definitely be trying some of the rest of the range.)

Here it is on the Makebelieve website, luvyourskin: http://www.makebelievebeauty.com/SelfTan.html - can't see any facility for international shipping, but there is a contact email address on the site.

http://www.salonskincare.co.uk also stock it and they actually do ship internationally.

Strangely, although the box states that the product is made in the US, I have a feeling that it's not sold in North America yet. It seems to be available in several European countries, but perhaps hasn't spread further yet.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much...you have given me a lot of options to try!!
I will be in Europe in 2 weeks, so I will try there before I hunt it down from this end!!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I really hope you love it as much as I do. Let me know what you think!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:22 am      Reply with quote
A final update on the performance of this self-tanner...

I eventually got the chance to try it out on the rest of my body, not just the top half. It went on very well indeed. My only problem was that I was a little heavy-handed in application around the ankles - so they ended up being slightly orangey and darker than the rest of my body. But that was my own fault.

Just go easy on the knees, ankles and other problem areas and you should be fine. My knees looked great as I only lightly swiped a little product over them - what was left on my hand after I'd rubbed it into the rest of my lower legs.

The tan lasted a good 6 days, and may even last longer than that if you're lucky. It wore off very well and didn't go patchy after 3 or 4 days as most self-tans tend to on me.

I really love this stuff!
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:41 am      Reply with quote
yo ho yo ho it's off to boots I go.

I am so glad somebody asked where to get it because it saved me the job.

How nice to be able to go into a shop and actually buy something recommeneded on EDS. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
How nice to be able to go into a shop and actually buy something recommeneded on EDS. Laughing

Makes a change, doesn't it! Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 9:34 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
loopylori wrote:

Makes a change, doesn't it! Laughing

it does and I can slip it into the house without Mrloopy moaning about the postman waking him up again. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 4:17 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I'll be posting a review soon for another brilliant self-tanner - much cheaper too, although maybe not quite so good as this one.

It's the Palmer's Natural Bronze. I was very impressed for the price. Meant to be a gradual tanner, but seems more like a normal one to me. I just want to give it another go and try it on my legs before giving it a write-up.

From what I've experienced with it so far, you might want to try it.

Also, available from our very own Superdrug - wahey! Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Verdict to be passed in the morning. I don't dislike the smell. It seemed to go on easy enough. My skin feels nice and moisturised.
The price made my eyes water.

If I am Tangoed in the morning I am going to hunt you down. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
The Makebelieve self tan was voted tops in the trial on 'How to look good naked' last week. I've just bought the Johnsons Holiday Skin body lotion with self tanner in, I'm impressed. No nasty whiff, my hubby didn't know I had fake tan on. I've applied it twice only and have a nice natural looking glow. I would recommend it. It was £5 for the small bottle.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:44 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Verdict to be passed in the morning. I don't dislike the smell. It seemed to go on easy enough. My skin feels nice and moisturised.
The price made my eyes water.

If I am Tangoed in the morning I am going to hunt you down. Laughing

So, do I need to go into hiding? Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:46 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
The Makebelieve self tan was voted tops in the trial on 'How to look good naked' last week. I've just bought the Johnsons Holiday Skin body lotion with self tanner in, I'm impressed. No nasty whiff, my hubby didn't know I had fake tan on. I've applied it twice only and have a nice natural looking glow. I would recommend it. It was £5 for the small bottle.

I must remember to watch that programme. I could definitely use some tips! Laughing

Must admit that I absolutely couldn't get away with that Johnson's stuff. The fake tan after smell drove me insane - and the fact that I had to apply it for several days running made the smell even worse. Some people absolutely adore it. I think it's a bit of a Marmite product. (Mate or hate.) Shock
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:54 am      Reply with quote
You are safe.

I have a very light natural looking bit of colour. I think I may need to apply again to get a deeper looking tan. My skin feels lovely and moisturised and I am not orange.

I would give this the thumbs up.

So thanks Majorb. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Phew!

I tell you, it was unfeasibly warm wearing my big balaclava and hiding in the airing cupboard on a such a hot day.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Phew!

I tell you, it was unfeasibly warm wearing my big balaclava and hiding in the airing cupboard on a such a hot day.

lmao
See now that was daft, I would recognise you with the balaclava but not without it. Just done my face again. Of course now I have a bit of a golden glow I have no makeup in the right shade to cover up my broken caps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:23 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
majorb wrote:
Phew!

lmao
See now that was daft, I would recognise you with the balaclava but not without it. Just done my face again. Of course now I have a bit of a golden glow I have no makeup in the right shade to cover up my broken caps.

Dammit! And I've also given away my hiding place. Embarassed

Will I have to go back into hiding now because I've turned you into a different colour that your make-up won't cover? Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
No, 'Tis me own fault. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
sarahb wrote:

I must remember to watch that programme. I could definitely use some tips! Laughing

Must admit that I absolutely couldn't get away with that Johnson's stuff. The fake tan after smell drove me insane - and the fact that I had to apply it for several days running made the smell even worse. Some people absolutely adore it. I think it's a bit of a Marmite product. (Mate or hate.) Shock

Hi

As my post said, there was absolutely no nasty whiff with the Johnsons, it does say on the front of the bottle, improved fragrance or something like that. The most important thing when I was buying a body lotion/fake tan was that I didn't get one with a whiff, so I smelt them all before buying. The Johnsons one is fine. I also only needed to apply it twice, I did it a few days ago and I've still got the tan and it hasn't gone patchy, so far, so good.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
majorb wrote:
Phew!

lmao

Hi

I have a summer and a winter shade foundation and for the time when you're colour is a bit in the middle, you can mix the two foundations together.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
majorb wrote:
sarahb wrote:

Hi

As my post said, there was absolutely no nasty whiff with the Johnsons, it does say on the front of the bottle, improved fragrance or something like that. The most important thing when I was buying a body lotion/fake tan was that I didn't get one with a whiff, so I smelt them all before buying. The Johnsons one is fine. I also only needed to apply it twice, I did it a few days ago and I've still got the tan and it hasn't gone patchy, so far, so good.

Maybe they reformulated it because the smell was so bad? It was a couple of years ago when I tried it, so things may well have changed. The stuff itself was actually quite good - it was just the biscuity smell I had a problem with.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
loopylori wrote:
majorb wrote:
Phew!

lmao

Hi

I have a summer and a winter shade foundation and for the time when you're colour is a bit in the middle, you can mix the two foundations together.

Sarahb
That sounds like a great suggestion because even when I do not use fake tan and I use a great sunscreen and avoid the sun I always still manage to get a light tan.

Thanks lori

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
This sounds like exactly what I have been looking for. I wish we could find it in the US!!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |