Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Acrylic Overlays??? Should I do this?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
This isn't really a skincare question, but a nailcare question. I recently quit biting my nails, and I'm growing my own nails (don't want to get artificial unless I absolutely have to! My nails tend to be rather weak and brittle. I'm thinking of having an acrylic overlay put on them. Has anyone done this??? Can you tell me the pros/cons?
Maureenall
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,my nails are are soft and peel so I had the Gel nails for about a year. My nails looked wonderful and I didn't have to worry about polish chipping etc.
Was quite expensive as I was going for infills twice a month.Then 4 days before Christmas I had them redone and they had all fallen off before Christmas day, so I never went back. My own nails were worse than before and it has taken me until now to get them looking reasonable again, with the help of OPI nail envy.
So basically, I think, that unless you are going to have the gel nails for ever it is not going to solve your problem.
I miss my nails looking perfect though and do keep thinking of trying another technician.
Hope this helps.
Mo Smile
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I have to 2nd everything Maureenall just posted, they will only make your nails worse over time, when I quit getting them it took the better part of a year for my nails to look decent again.

I have heard that Burts Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter works really well at strengthening nails if used on a regular basis.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies!!! I've heard the same about gel nails and acrylics. But, I thought that acrylic overlays were just painting the acrylic over my own nails, rather than having to seriously rough up my nails for regular acrylics/gels. (Did that once before and my nails were awful!!! Never again!) I'll do more research before I do anything...and thanks for the tip on the nail strengthener!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I agree with maureenall and VS--- if you have weak, brittle nails, overlays are just going to make the problem worse. Instead, why not give OPI Nail Envy a shot? It's not very expensive and it makes my nails feel almost as strong as acrylics. Also, it's a good idea to put some kind of nourishing cream or oil on your nails before you go to bed every night--- it will nourish them AND make your Nail Envy last longer. I use Burt's Bees Baby Bee Apricot Oil (which is mainly apricot seed oil--- very good for nails and cuticles), but I've also heard very good things about Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter. HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I had Light Concept Nails(LCN), which is a gel, for many years with NO problems. Recently went back to the same salon for a reapplication after a year's break. Now the gels lift and peel off within a couple of days. Whats up? Any ideas?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I agree ... it will make your nails worse. I had gels for 3-4 years and stopped. It took a while for my nails to become healthy again.

I recommend OPI's Nail Envy. Also, Mavala makes a nail cream called Nailactin - this worked pretty well for me.
VMP40
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I would stay away from any sort of false nails -- they never look very sophisticated and they ruin your own nails.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Instead, why not give OPI Nail Envy a shot? It's not very expensive and it makes my nails feel almost as strong as acrylics.

I've never tried the nail envy and am intrigued that they make your nails feel almost as strong as acrylics...I'm using Heart of Nails protein base and nail cream and I absolutely love it. My nails look great BUT I tend to hammer the tips of my fingers when I key...I'm not having problems now (since I'm off work and not keying so much) but when I'm working I am on the keyboard alot and my nails end upbreaking and peeling (even though I put hardener on the tips)...Do you think that the Nail Envy might be durable enough to withstand someone who keys with the finger tips instead of the finger pads?
Thanks, manslayer
pudoodles
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Matte Nail Envy is the BEST! I love having a "finished" look on my fingers and toes, but I can't keep colored polish on them to save my soul (or any other handy cliche'!). Even if I splurge and have a pedi/manicure I *always* ask for matte Nail Envy. My digits look so darned nice!!!

Laughing Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
4sons wrote:
Matte Nail Envy is the BEST! I love having a "finished" look on my fingers and toes, but I can't keep colored polish on them to save my soul (or any other handy cliche'!). Even if I splurge and have a pedi/manicure I *always* ask for matte Nail Envy. My digits look so darned nice!!!

Laughing Laughing

What is matte Nail Envy? Is it different than the other Nail Envy everyone is talking about? I'm thinking matte is like flat paint, and doesn't shine. Am I close??? What does it make your finished nails look like? Can you apply it over polish? And...can Nail Envy be used as a base coat??? Sorry for all the silly questions...but I'm just so excited to have nails, I want them to be awesome! And...thanks for the advice ladies...will definitely stay away from acrylic and gels! Big hugs to you all!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Geminiwoman wrote:
4sons wrote:

Laughing Laughing

What is matte Nail Envy? Is it different than the other Nail Envy everyone is talking about? I'm thinking matte is like flat paint, and doesn't shine. Am I close??? What does it make your finished nails look like? Can you apply it over polish? And...can Nail Envy be used as a base coat??? Sorry for all the silly questions...but I'm just so excited to have nails, I want them to be awesome! And...thanks for the advice ladies...will definitely stay away from acrylic and gels! Big hugs to you all!

HI geminiwoman! I've never used the matte nail envy, just the regular, but I can tell you that it makes a great base and top coat--- it's actually the only one I use. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Geminiwoman!
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on kicking the habit! I used acrylic nails for about a year, just to force myself to stop biting. Then I went to a "natural nail care clinic" to have the acrylics removed, and started on a program to strengthen my weak, brittle nails. I used Mavala's Nailactin every night, and got professional manicures every 3-4 weeks. I got so many compliments on my hands when following this program, and my nails quickly became strong and healthy! Nailactin is a creme that will nourish the nailbed, and promote healthy growth. Perhaps use the Nail Envy (which I have no experience with) and Nailactin together?

Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I have used a variety of the Nail Envy products - my favorite is the Matte version because it seems to stay on better. I've also used Nailtiques and some other brands that we've all tried. But...by far the BEST product out there is Trind Nail Repair. I put it on 2-3 times a week and my nails look great. Give it a try!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I have been doing Acrylic Overlays for seven years and love it. I do not have tips put on just acrylic put on top of my nails. It is 15.00 every three to four weeks and I am in and out in 20 min...my tech is super fast. I apply a clear nail hardener on as the nails grow out so the growth area doesn't show. I have them done in a french style(white tip look). I am thrilled to never have to worry with nail polish and my nails look fabulous always.It is probably healthier to go another route but I am a sucker for beautiful nails and hands and I can't achieve it any other way.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:10 am      Reply with quote
If you want to stick with your own nails, you could consider either Shelac or Gelish. It is a nail treatment that is applied similar to nail polish. Rather than air-drying, the product is 'cured' under either a UV light or LED light. The polish dry and hard immediately after coming out of the light. If your tech uses an LED light, it is dry within seconds.

Shelac is a combination of a nail polish and a gel; whereas Gelish is a gel that acts like a polish. I really researched it before I decided to go with the Gelish. Shelac isn't recommended for people with thin or weak nails; Gelish is very good for that. My nail tech said that several of her clients who had been having gel nails for years and wanted to go back to their own nails have been using Gelish. Gelish makes your nails alot stronger. In the winter, my nails are really weak. They split, break and peel - really ugly. I actually have to file them down now because they grow too long.

There are some downsides to either product, but for me I'm hooked on Gelish. You can't remove the product as easily as nail polish, but the polish will last anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. Because I really like the dark colours, I only go 2 weeks between manicures. My colour hasn't chipped, but the new nail growth starts to show more than I like when I'm into the 3rd week. In the summer when I start using lighter colours, I will likely be able to stretch it closer to the 3 week mark.

If you're interested in reading up on it, this blog is a great resource:
http://forum.purseblog.com/the-beauty-bar/gelish-soak-off-gel-polish-606728.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
If you want to grow your own nails, using gel polish is definately one way that helps. Do bear in mind that a very small amount of roughening is still required on your natural nails so that the gel polish will not lift off.

And never peel off the gel polish and other enhancements for that matter to prevent thinning your own nails.

Using a nail hardener / strengthener such as Nail Envy will help in meanwhile to harden natural nails if you choose to go without any enhancements. However do bear in mind that nail hardeners does make your nail turn abit more brittle.

Using a nail hardener in combination with a good nail growth product massaged daily at the base of your nail bed will help new nail growth to be stronger and prevent breakages in the meanwhile.

Acrylic is less damaging in my opinion as it can be soaked off compared to hard gel where it can only be filed thinner and grown out.
For those who are very prone to lifting due to your own natural nails being more 'oily', gel nails are going to last longer on you.

For all enhancements, proper preparation is essential to prevent lifting. If you've always had no problems with previous acrylic or gel enhancements, the likely cause of lifting for this time would likely be lack of proper preparation or poor application of product.

Once your product lifts, please visit the salon to get it redone or removed. Else moisture trapped underneath lifted nail enhancements leads to fungus growth.

For myself, I do artificial enhancements all the time, simply because:
1. No patience for nail polish to dry
2. Hate any chipping or dulling of the polish.
3. Like to have different nail lengths / nail shapes all the time
4. Hate the stain of nail polish on natural nails
5. Like to have nice nails with minimal efforts

Hope that helps!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |