Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Can you recommend a good probiotic?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 05, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I eat yogurt most days but I like to take a probiotic in capsule form as well (I'm prone to yeast problems). The one I usually buy is out-of-stock -- and I have been looking to find a new one anyway.

Please provide any details you can: where I might buy it, approximate price, how many capsules in the bottle, etc. Also, whether or not they need to be refrigerated. There are some now that don't and I like that because I can carry them in my purse.

I'm visiting the Vitamin Shoppe next week, so if anyone uses one they like from there, that would be great to know.

Thanks!

montrealgal
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 05, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
I buy mine at Vitacost.
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?Ntk=products&ss=1&x=0&y=0&Ntt=probiotic

I use the NSI 10-10 formula. It works great. But if you want more bacteria, you can go with the higher grade one like NSI 15-35 with flora FOS.

I used to take the Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra http://www.vitacost.com/GardenofLifePrimalDefenseUltra. But I think the NSI brand works great for a lot less.

So depends on your budget, go with what you're comfy with.
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 05, 2007 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
have u tried miessence? liver probiotics.. however, i dun think you can esily get it in any healthstore.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 1:26 am      Reply with quote
I am not sure if Nature's Way is a commonly available brand in the States, but they do a 7 billion (per tsp) mixed probiotic powder (100gm per bottle) and I usually take around 1 Tsp as a booster - it *really* helped to clear up my last candida flare up.
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Definitely "Inner Health Plus" by Ethical Nutrients, I have been taking this stuff for a while now & I think it's great. But I'm not sure if it's available everywhere. Smile
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
HMF Forte by Genestra (it was recommended by my ND).
It's a bit pricey at about $60-$70 for 120 pills and it has to be refridgerated. The price varies quite a bit between stores.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
I buy mine at Vitacost.
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?Ntk=products&ss=1&x=0&y=0&Ntt=probiotic

I use the NSI 10-10 formula. It works great. But if you want more bacteria, you can go with the higher grade one like NSI 15-35 with flora FOS.

I used to take the Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra http://www.vitacost.com/GardenofLifePrimalDefenseUltra. But I think the NSI brand works great for a lot less.

So depends on your budget, go with what you're comfy with.

Hi bkkgirl wave

The NSI 15-35 looks like it may work for me. I'm going to look for it locally or on my next trip down to the US!

Thanks for the info and links!

montrealgal
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
alimwj -- I've never heard of miessence, or a 'liver probiotic.' I guess it somehow targets that part of the body?

miranets -- I was looking for capsules and never really considered a powder, but I guess I could do both and just have capsules for carrying in my purse and when I travel. I'll check it out.

Safire -- that's also one I haven't heard of!

Yen -- Yikes! "a bit pricey" is right!

Thanks, everyone! wave

montrealgal
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Culturelle is a very good brand -- that's what we use, and that's what hospitals and nursing homes in our area use too. When I buy it, I usually do a search and find out which etailer has the best price at that time.

For example:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=AR-7055&source=Go198&gcid=S19283x001&keyword=culturelle
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I just asked this question in the candida thread. I've been taking Jarrow EPS (you can also get it off of vitacost). Before this I took Jarrow's other formula that I would find in the refrigerated section of the health food store. I started using the EPS out of convenience (it doesn't have to be refrigerated as long as it's stored in a cool place but it always good to do it anyway) and being able to find it discounted rather than full price at the store. When I first started taking the other formula (in a yellow labeled bottle) I was advised to take 5 capsules per day for one month and then reduce it to 2-3 (recommended does on bottle) thereafter. It was after I had been on antibiotics for a prolonged period of time. It really helped to re-balance my flora.

Recently, my mom's gastroenterologist suggested Flora-Q as an option. I don't really know much about it though. Here are the ingredients of each:

The Jarrow EPS contains:
L. rhamnosus
L. casei
L. plantarum
L. acidophilus
B. longum BB536 (morinaga strain)
B. breve
Pediococcus acidilactici
Lactoccus diacetylactis

and Flora-Q contains:
L. acidphilus
Bifidobacterium
L. paracasei
Streptococcus thermophilus

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi amnis,

Thanks for the recommendations. I checked them out and unfortunately they each contain 'other ingredients' I'm trying to avoid (potato starch, and maltodextrin).

BTW, there's a rebate offer on the floraq if *you* decide to try it.

http://www.floraq.com

Thanks again!

montrealgal
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
Hi amnis,

Thanks for the recommendations. I checked them out and unfortunately they each contain 'other ingredients' I'm trying to avoid (potato starch, and maltodextrin).

Thanks again!

montrealgal

Hi montrealgal,

I'll look into the rebate if I decide to try the Flora Q- thanks Smile

May I ask why you are avoiding potato starch and maltodextrin?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
montrealgal wrote:
Hi amnis,

Thanks again!

montrealgal

Hi montrealgal,

I'll look into the rebate if I decide to try the Flora Q- thanks Smile

May I ask why you are avoiding potato starch and maltodextrin?

Hi again, amnis wave

You're welcome!

Generally, I try (not always successfully!) to watch my intake of carbs, especially simple and refined carbs. A strict low carbs/no carb diet was the only thing that helped me get rid of a 2-yr candida problem (had not even heard of Atkins/South Beach at the time). And I discovered during that period that it also helped me lose weight (a lot!), so that's what I revert to when I'm battling the bulge (which is the case at the moment!). So I don't want to take any supplements that have unnecessary carbs. So for both reason, I don't want to take any supplements that have unnecessary carbs.

And maltodextrin is made from corn (often corn starch) which triggers yeast infections for me. I no longer use it as a thickener, and when I go to a Chinese restaurant I take extra probiotics, since they use a lot of corn starch (I'm Chinese, so I know!). Besides, it's used mostly as a sweetener I think, and I don't feel a need for that in my supplements.

I haven't visited the candida thread yet! I'm way behind on my EDSing!

amnis, I found a site that had info on choosing probiotics that was helpful. If you're interested, I'll try to retrace my steps and find it again.

montrealgal
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 2:14 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
I'm way behind on my EDSing!

Yeah, tell me about it- so am I. Rolling Eyes

The candida thread is long... it took me awhile to read through before I started posting in it; but there's a lot of good info.

montrealgal wrote:

amnis, I found a site that had info on choosing probiotics that was helpful. If you're interested, I'll try to retrace my steps and find it again.

Yes, if you have the time, I would appreciate the site address. Smile

ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi montrealgal! Like yourself I am currently searching for an excellent probiotic but I'd also like it to be enteric-coated. Now that I'm researching different brands I realize that having an enteric-coated capsule significantly increases your chances that the probiotic is delivered into your intestine where it is most needed; rather than dissolving in your stomach (which appears to be the case with the non-enteric caps and why those products will tell you to take them after meals). You can take an enteric-coated probiotic any time of day and it is not meal dependant. The probiotic I am most interested in at the moment is called Primadophilus Optima 35 Billion CFU by Nature's Way and is currently on sale here: http://www.herbalremedies.com/primadophilus.html. It appears to be quite a power-house capsule and you only require one a day. Have you ever heard of this probiotic? If anyone else has had any experience with this or any other enteric-coated brand, I'd love to know!

Oh, and here is another enteric-coated probiotic from a Canadain company that looks interesting, but I'm not 100% sure of yet. http://www.newrootsherbal.com/pages/product_detail.php?prod_class=1∏_recipe=V2

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:
Hi montrealgal! Like yourself I am currently searching for an excellent probiotic but I'd also like it to be enteric-coated. Now that I'm researching different brands I realize that having an enteric-coated capsule significantly increases your chances that the probiotic is delivered into your intestine where it is most needed; rather than dissolving in your stomach (which appears to be the case with the non-enteric caps and why those products will tell you to take them after meals). You can take an enteric-coated probiotic any time of day and it is not meal dependant. The probiotic I am most interested in at the moment is called Primadophilus Optima 35 Billion CFU by Nature's Way and is currently on sale here: http://www.herbalremedies.com/primadophilus.html. It appears to be quite a power-house capsule and you only require one a day. Have you ever heard of this probiotic? If anyone else has had any experience with this or any other enteric-coated brand, I'd love to know!

Oh, and here is another enteric-coated probiotic from a Canadain company that looks interesting, but I'm not 100% sure of yet. http://www.newrootsherbal.com/pages/product_detail.php?prod_class=1∏_recipe=V2

Hi Scotslass,

Jarrow EPS, which I currently use, is also enteric coated. You can get it for a good price on vitacost. The Nature's Way Primadophilus Optima looks impressive with all it's different types of strains. (14 compared to Jarrow's 8 ). The NW is expensive compared to Jarrow but I guess you pay for what you get. I might just try it and see if I notice a difference. (Of course I would have to hurry up and do that experiment *before* I start taking OoO, BCSO, and the greens stuff which I plan on doing very soon.)

ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
ScotsLass wrote:

Hi Scotslass,
Jarrow EPS, which I currently use, is also enteric coated. You can get it for a good price on vitacost. The Nature's Way Primadophilus Optima looks impressive with all it's different types of strains. (14 compared to Jarrow's 8 ). The NW is expensive compared to Jarrow but I guess you pay for what you get. I might just try it and see if I notice a difference. (Of course I would have to hurry up and do that experiment *before* I start taking OoO, BCSO, and the greens stuff which I plan on doing very soon.)

Hey Amnis - I think this probiotic is impressive too and have placed it at the top of my shopping list, but it's good to know that Jarrow's EPS is a good enteric-coated alternative should I ever be in a pinch! Thanks for sharing this. I've been taking OoO throughout the day so I really want a powerful probiotic to take at night before bedtime. Other than eating a lot of yogurt lately, I haven't been taking any official probiotic since I began OoO as I wanted to let the Oil of Oregano really get into my system and do it's stuff. Now I feel it's time to repopulate my body with the healthy bacteria and flora it needs and kick things up a notch. I'm hoping to notice a big difference as well and will share anything significant if I do!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:

Thanks, ScotsLass! I'll check them out!

montrealgal wave
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
ScotsLass wrote:

Thanks, ScotsLass! I'll check them out!

montrealgal wave

You're welcome, montrealgal! BTW, I came across the New Roots Herbal Probiotic yesterday (this is the Cdn one I mentioned in my earlier post). It was fairly pricey at $46 + tax Cdn per bottle, so I am much more inclined to order the Nature's Way Optima now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I swear by Nzymes Pro B. My husband had an attack of Diverticulitis last year and was hospitalized for a week. He started taking one Pro B daily and has not had any symptoms since. I purchase several products from this company with the highest confidence.

http://www.nzymes.com/product_pro-b_probiotics_digestive_enzymes.htm
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry to lower the tone, but I keep reading this as 'can you recommend a good prostitute'! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I'm so sorry to lower the tone, but I keep reading this as 'can you recommend a good prostitute'! Laughing

Laughing....I wonder what Freud would say about that (if he could still say something, that is Wink )!?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 3:33 am      Reply with quote
If he had any sense he'd say I needed glasses! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 1:21 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
If he had any sense he'd say I needed glasses! Laughing

Really? I thought he'd might say you'd need your head checked at the very least! Laughing Then again, I might be wrong....not!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 3:53 am      Reply with quote
is Actimel any good or is it just not enough on its own?

i've started with the Oregano Oil ( ) and know i need to reinforce it with good probiotics. only problem is that i haven't found then (yet) here in france. Actimel is readily available so i've been drinking it every morning. i'm just worried that it may not be enough....

GG -- Bad Grin
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |