Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
L'oreal just bought Pureology.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
L'Oreal Aquires Hair Care Brand, PureOlogy
Emailemail Printprint Savesave
Published: Wednesday, May 09, 2007
By Andrea Nagel
One of the salon industry’s hottest hair care brands—PureOlogy—is now in the hands of L’Oreal, which purchased the Irvine, Calif.-based company for an undisclosed amount of cash today.

PureOlogy Research LLC, which generated $207 million in retail sales for the most recent 12 months, will relocate to New York, where L’Oreal is headquartered, and join the L’Oréal Professionnel, Kérastase, Matrix, Redken and Mizani brands.

L’Oréal expects that the acquisition will not affect corporate earnings for the financial year that will end Dec. 31. In addition, it is expected to add to earnings, starting in 2008.

PureOlogy took salons by storm in 2001 when it was introduced with formulas specifically designed for those with color treated hair. Jim Markham, founder of PureOlogy, pinpointed a gap in the marketplace for luxury, high-priced hair care goods that would meet the needs of color treated hair, which tends to fade and be more dry. At the time, industry estimates calculated that more than 50 percent of women colored their hair, and now the percentage has risen to 65, further bolstering PureOlogy’s potential customer base. Packaging innovations were intended to instantly gave PureOlogy a spotlight: custom-molded containers were designed to fit in the corner of a bathtub; easy-to-pour grips fit in a woman’s hand and bottles were color-coded to help differentiate between products. Prices were in the $16-$20 range, unusually high for an unknown brand. What further separated PureOlogy from other hair care launches is that despite being a premium-priced brand, it reached a breadth of salons, not just the most exclusive outposts.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
That's BAD NEWS, and I'll tell you why. If you currently like the PureOlogy products then you better stock up on them now. Once L'Oreal gets a hold of this company they will without a doubt begin to change the formulas. They will almost surely begin to take out the higher priced (yet very functional) raw materials and begin to substitute in low cost raw materials. It will just be a matter of time. Then, you will begin to notice that the products from PureOlogy that you liked, don't seem to function as well as they used to. That will be the reason. L'Oreal is all about profit. Cut out cost in manufacturing, but keep the sales price high.

If you like PureOlogy products I suggest you buy all the stock that is in the stores right now, because the brand will change.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have to totally agree with John, how many other takeovers have resulted in ruining the product. Big business at work.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Lordy -- bad news indeed.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, indeed! Bad news! Belle, thank you for posting this, and John, thanks for the heads-up!

But I'm wondering what is a reasonable shelf life for Pureology shampoo and conditioner? Right now I have almost-full 1L bottles of Nanoworks. Although I use them daily, a little bit goes a long way, ya know?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
This is really lousy news for me--- not only did I like a lot of their products, BUT I also liked the fact that they were cruelty-free/vegetarian. Thank goodness I already replaced their mousse with my Philip Pelusi mousse, now I just need to replace their shampoo and hairspray...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for posting this!
i did not know it before.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
This sucks Crying or Very sad
simplenpure
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this.
I love Pureology shampoos, they are wonderful products. A little bit goes a long way.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
That's really sad!

Is Estee Lauder any better at retaining what made the companies they bought so great?
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
That's really sad!

Is Estee Lauder any better at retaining what made the companies they bought so great?

Don't get me started on EL..they bought out Aveda, discontinued one of my favorite gels, then brought it back a year later ..double the price! They destroy everything they touch. I think they only have distribution rights for BB, thank goodness.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 am      Reply with quote
NO don't change the formula! and heck don't raise the flippin price anymore, it is $$$$$ now! Well if they do I will switch, that is life.

Loreal owns Lancome, Armani and Biotherm incase anyone didn't know, so makes sense they are buying more, greedy little things. Estee seems to own EVERYone else! The 2 giants are gonna battle it out! LOL Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Oh man, this blows BIG TIME!!!!!

John, I 100% agree with you. I think this is exactly what will happen.

I have been using Pureology since I first discovered it in 2002. I love the shampoos in the "volume" line and use most of their styling products including volume gel, texture twist, root lift, etc., etc.

I usually buy the big size as it lasts forever and that smaller bottle is something like $23 now, which is outrageous.

This is so maddening.

Recently, we had an opening at the office for an admin. person and I got several applications from ladies who worked for Cabot Stain- a once small family-owned company who got bought out by a big corporate juggernaut and is now in the "big box" stores...cough-Walmart-cough. They all agreed that the product just wasn't the same anymore, as I have no doubt will happen to the Pureology line.....

Time to stock up indeed.

grrr.....

Maria Crying or Very sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 1:58 am      Reply with quote
I love Pureology in particular Nano works. So sad news.

John, Thanks much for your heads-up. That's what I thought exactly when I saw this subject. Like others, I worried about Pureology shelf-life.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |