Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi Virgin Needs Encouragement!! :-)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Marianne W
5% products discount

Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Hello All!

I am on Day 10! (Funny, Obagi Virgins post like we are counting out a prison sentence! Razz) I have experienced the FIRE, STINGING, PEELING, REDNESS, PRONOUNCED WRINKLES, PIMPLES and SHRINK WRAP stages most every day so far. I understand from those of you with experience, this suffering is worth it.

I need encouragement so I am wondering if you could tell me some of the wonderful experiences you have had since you made it through this inferno stage! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Marianne,
As you may know, getting through the "inferno" stage can take a while and the "peelies" can take even longer!

If you go back through some of the current and older Obagi threads, I think you'll find many people with similar experiences who were happy with their skin in the end.

You'll also find some who experienced great results rather quickly and some (like myself) who didn't see much happening until the 12 week mark.

While my skin is still far from perfect (imo) it is MUCH better than it was pre-Obagi. Most all of my hyper-pigmentation is gone and I can keep it at bay through maintenance and a good sunscreen.

I think you'll be glad you put yourself through this and will be pleased in the end! Smile

5% products discount

Thu May 26, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Dear Kims,

I have been reading the posts on Obagi and am SO grateful to you and Riley Girl especially because you both have been quite generous with your thoughts and experiences.

I was just posting to see if I could hear some of the warm stories many Obagians have had that could provide a bit of light at the end of this INFERNO tunnel. Very Happy

For example, I learned about Obagi from a woman at my bank. She was waiting on me and I noticed how flawless her skin was. She was older than I, but her skin looked years younger. So, I told her how beautiful her face was. She responded that she used Obagi! So, I researched it and decided to give it a go. She changed my life already and maybe doesn't even know it!

I am sure you seasoned Obagians have many tales like that one of friends and strangers alike that have made your heart feel glad that you went through the inferno!

Yesterday, I left the house for the first time and got the "What are you doing to your face!!!" and the "I hope you know what you are doing!!" and the " Wow, that's a bad burn, you should use sunscreen!". Rolling Eyes

WhT have you gals heard that I can look forward to???

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Marianne, thanks for sharing your experience so far. Would have responded sooner but I'm on the newbie 5 a day diet Sad .

I had some slight discomfort in the first couple of weeks but I'm having great results so far. My only problem is those dreaded "peelies", since I increased the amount of tret/blender mix, I've been peeling more. The worst thing about it is that, I look okay when I leave home in the mornings but, somewhere between then and when I get home something gets them started and I've been walking around like that for who knows how long (I don't check my face between leaving home and getting back).

As far as the encouragement goes, firstly just think, in another 16-20wks, you could be that woman in your bank for somebody else and secondly if you haven't already done so, do what I did and take a picture, I take one at the beginning of every week and monitor my progress, it's very rewarding to watch the transformation and keeps me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel, having beautiful skin again.

I totally agree with your thoughts about our obagi vets kims and Rileygirl, they are both amazing and have contributed so much to the forums, they most certainly are generous as it can take up a bit of time responding to all the different posts/questions.

kims and Rileygirl: I salute you!!! Thank you both for all of your input
Marianne W
5% products discount

Fri May 27, 2011 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angel,

Thanks for the thoughts. You are right, hopefully, I'll be the woman in the bank in a couple months and I might be able to change someone else!

I am on day 12 now and, happily, the peelies are improving. But, I have the same experience you are having. I look fine in the morning but by 3:00 pm, I look like a bearded dragon (at least that is what my daughter thinks!) haha. Wink

I am still really red and tight. But, I know that's ok. It will be fine as I continue to progress.

I'll start taking pictures now so I can see how far I am coming along. Thanks again!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Marianne,
I love the "bearded dragon" comment! Children can be so kind!

Angel and Marianne: Thanks for the very kind words! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I laughed out loud when I read that too.

kims, you are very welcome.
Marianne W
5% products discount

Sat May 28, 2011 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
You know what is really funny is that my daughter who made the bearded dragon comment is 22!!! Haha. I told her to hold on to her hat. Her day is coming. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, just saw this. School is kicking my rump right now! Marianne, you are doing the best thing you can as far as antiaging with Nu Derm. I cannot tell you how many products I have wasted money on, and Obagi is still #1 in my book as far as giving results that is claims it will give. It will not make you look 20 if you are 50, but it will wipe out hyperpigmentation and diminish lines and wrinkles and basically let you have the best skin you can have at your age. Keep going, it is definitely worth it. If it gets rough, back off a little, but don't stop!

Big thanks to you and Angel for the kind words! Very Happy
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Sorry, just saw this. School is kicking my rump right now! Marianne, you are doing the best thing you can as far as antiaging with Nu Derm. I cannot tell you how many products I have wasted money on, and Obagi is still #1 in my book as far as giving results that is claims it will give. It will not make you look 20 if you are 50, but it will wipe out hyperpigmentation and diminish lines and wrinkles and basically let you have the best skin you can have at your age. Keep going, it is definitely worth it. If it gets rough, back off a little, but don't stop!

Big thanks to you and Angel for the kind words! Very Happy

I totally second this!! While I enjoy experimenting with new products, my staples remain the same: Clear, Blender, and Retin A. Sunscreen is just a given! While I say this, I must mention that I am currently out of Clear. Must re-order SOON!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree with Kims And rileygirl, the staple products for me are clear, blender, retin A and sunblock. I started using Obagi around the same time as kims, 2 years ago and now I'm on maintenance. For me, it was really worth going through all the horrible phrases to achieve the "better" skin I have now. No other products have ever given me the same results. I only wish I had taken photos and discovered Obagi earlier, because I look back now and I honestly can't remember how my skin looked before Obagi! I get comments on my how good my skin looks, so stick with it. Like rileygirl wrote.."it gets rough, back off a little, but don't stop!" I did and the results are worth it. I joined this forum when I started using Obagi and the advice and information I read were invaluable.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
fongflyer5 wrote:
I have to agree with Kims And rileygirl, the staple products for me are clear, blender, retin A and sunblock. I started using Obagi around the same time as kims, 2 years ago and now I'm on maintenance. For me, it was really worth going through all the horrible phrases to achieve the "better" skin I have now. No other products have ever given me the same results. I only wish I had taken photos and discovered Obagi earlier, because I look back now and I honestly can't remember how my skin looked before Obagi! I get comments on my how good my skin looks, so stick with it. Like rileygirl wrote.."it gets rough, back off a little, but don't stop!" I did and the results are worth it. I joined this forum when I started using Obagi and the advice and information I read were invaluable.

Hi Fongflyer,
I totally agree with you as well! I think taking pictures is an excellent idea as I can't really remember what my skin looked like pre-Obagi either!

5% products discount

Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Pictures it is!!!

So, new story for you. I was at Sephora yesterday and I was just leaving when one of the sales girls stopped me and said "Can I ask you a personal question?". Always scary when someone says that but I said "Sure.". She said "do you use Obagi?"

I smiled best I could with this dragon bearded face! (it was about 6:00 pm and I am on day 13) haha.

Anyway, turns out she is an esthetician and a ten year veteran!!! She congratulated me and told me so many of the same things you all have said. "HANG ON!! ITS WORTH IT!!". Her skin was stunning by the way.

But, more importantly she told me to get some Skinceuticals Phyto Correcting Gel and that it would ease the redness without impeding my progress.

Have any of you tried it??? What do you think??

Thanks a million all you wonderful women. So glad I found you!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marianne,
I guess it takes one to know one!! Smile

5% products discount

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I am on day 26. I had two good days where I wasn't peeling and the redness seemed a little more manageable. Then yesterday, POW!!! Total peel, burning, right back to day 2 feeling. Sad

I went to buy wine-shocking- and after I checked out without being asked to prove I was old enough, I heard the cashier ask for the person behind me's ID. So I turned around to see a woman clearly older than I being carded!!!

I have had to go to court, my office, mothers day, my daughter's grand opening photo exhibit etc with a red, burning, peeling face. I look so old.

Please tell me this is worth it. I know I am being a whiner, but I need to know this will end and that it is worth it. Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marianne W, I know at times it seems like the the total peel, burning back to day 2 feeling will never end, but you have already reached day 26! You have already made inroads in the cycle.

Your skin's reaction to the Obagi products is a indication that's working! Your skin is slowly under going changes. You will go back and fourth with the peeling, redness and that question will it ever stop? I wanted to reassure you, your skin will benefit from all these changes. Sometimes if it becomes too much ease back a little on the products, take a break for a day, it may take a little longer but you will still eventually get the results you want.
Marianne W
5% products discount

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Dearest Fongflyer,

I thank you sincerely. I really felt like sobbing in defeat tonight. I can't stop picking and peeling. My face hurts, it looks burned, I am in public with my work and I am tired. But according to those veterans, like you, who take the time to share, this will be worth it.

I hope tomorrow will be better. I have a hearing tomorrow, a client prep meeting on Monday and a mediation on Tuesday. If there is a divine power(which I believe there is) I will have a brief period of peace.

Your support is crucial. Thank you for taking the time.

M

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Marianne W, Even though I'm on maintenance now, I'm still go through the flaky red phrase every few weeks, especially around the mouth and jaw area. We use our muscles in this area for talking, so this is the area that shows up the worst.

I just finished 3 days of flaky skin and when I try to buff off the flaky, dry patches it only made it look worst! It was now red and sore and I was conscious of it that I couldn't cover it up properly without making it look worst. I found in the end, mineral powder at least tone down the redness. Now 4 days later the skin in the effected area has returned to normal. It will get better and easier for you.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Marianne W, I'm on day 41/5 wks, 5 days ( I keep getting brain freeze when trying to work this out! Laughing) this last week has been the same for me too. I have had a lot of peeling/flaking, redness, a few spots (2 have left marks but they are fading quickly), I've felt the burning and stinging and my face doesn't feel like my own right now. The ironic thing is, I can still see the improvement to my skin despite all of the side affects.

I've been using a microfibre wash cloth to get rid of the flakes/peels which helps, but they just keep coming back!!!. Today I decided to order the clarisonic pro off of ebay (US), there was a fantastic offer with 8 brush heads for $269 including international shipping ($235 if you live in US) which has saved me £££, I have a US-UK voltage converter so I don't have to worry about the plug head. I am hoping that this will help with the peeling and flaking as I've read a few posts where people have said that they didn't experience so much of that when using a clarisonic with obagi. I can't wait for it arrive Cool

I hope you get a few days of calm for your busy schedule Smile
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:21 am      Reply with quote
fongflyer: Your words of encouragement are like a soothing balm to my sore face. Like Marianne W said the support and the encouragement really helps us newbies to keep going, thank you Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Marianne W wrote:
I am on day 26. I had two good days where I wasn't peeling and the redness seemed a little more manageable. Then yesterday, POW!!! Total peel, burning, right back to day 2 feeling. Sad

I went to buy wine-shocking- and after I checked out without being asked to prove I was old enough, I heard the cashier ask for the person behind me's ID. So I turned around to see a woman clearly older than I being carded!!!

I have had to go to court, my office, mothers day, my daughter's grand opening photo exhibit etc with a red, burning, peeling face. I look so old.

Please tell me this is worth it. I know I am being a whiner, but I need to know this will end and that it is worth it. Embarassed

You are very early in the 18 weeks and it is normal what you are going through. Expect that to happen off and on the entire time. It means the system is working and your skin is in the "out with the old" process. It is definitely worth it in the end. Try to think of it in the stages. Right now your old skin is being transformed from underneath and once that is done you will begin the "in with the new" phase. If the burning and redness are bad, try some diaper rash cream. It will help and quickly. Try to take monthly pictures, as that will show you things you normally don't see when you look in the mirror. Very Happy
Marianne W
5% products discount

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all,

I just reread my posts. Thanks for letting me cry it out. Sometimes, I just get so emotional! I was looking at all the flakes on my nightgown, my face burned and felt rough, I had a flake in my eyelash that I couldn't get out and my glass of wine was empty! Simply Tragic!!!!!! Smile

Anyway, needed some support. You really helped me out.

Returning the kindness, I wanted to share that I did get the Skinceutical Phyto Corrective Gel. It is really helpful to ease the skin in the mornings. Also, I got a Clarsonic that I put in my shower. I'm not sure how much it is helping because I got it almost immediately after I started my journey. But, I can usually get all the flakes off in that morning shower with it. I think it was worth the money.

Hope that helps someone else out there!!

One more question before I get back to work. I have read again and again that by day 40, this hell eases. I understand that it reoccurs throughout the 18 weeks, but does it stay this bad the whole time? When does the "Glow" begin to show?

Thanks again all!

5% products discount

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
PS. Today wasn't nearly as bad as I expected from last night. My face wasn't as red and no one seemed to notice the flakes today. Whew. One more day down....YEA!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
PSS. I'm sorry for all the excessive posts, but something just occurred to me. I am shocked to realize how self conscious I am of every little defect in my appearance. I don't care about the burning or the tight feeling or the cost or the effort it takes to be disciplined or any of that. It just struck me that all I care about is the embarrassment of having a red, flaky face. I realized it when I was thinking about the picture taking and how I don't want to have any remnant of this ugly face. That is so mean to think of ones self that way. I can be beautiful from the inside out instead of always being worried about the outside looking in.

Maybe, this Obagi Journey is going to help me resurface more than just my skin. Maybe, by making me focus on how I feel about myself as a whole, it will help me restore and strengthen my esteem as well.

Now THAT is a great reason to stick it out. Wow, I feel so much better! YEA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Marianne W wrote:
I have read again and again that by day 40, this hell eases. I understand that it reoccurs throughout the 18 weeks, but does it stay this bad the whole time? When does the "Glow" begin to show?

No, I don't think that is correct that by day 40 the hell eases. It really depends on your own skin and how much damage you have, as well as your tolerance to Retin A (mostly). I don't think it will be as bad the entire time. In fact, you probably will have some days your skin looks really good, and then the flaking will start again. Just the process of it. Unfortunately, I really never got a "glow" from Nu Derm. It wiped out my pigmentation and diminished wrinkles, but no glow from it for me!
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |