Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I need help in hair removal options...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sick and tired of shaving gosh darn it! Bathing suit season (cringe) is here and I need a better alternative, a more lasting alternative (I'm one that has to shave every single day...hair grows fast!).

I'm at a crossroads of sorts...do I invest in an epilator (I know there was a thread sometime back about the best models...I'm still lost on that one!) or going to the salon to wax.

I tried waxing my own leg once and let's just say I lasted...oh...only one strip of wax! But I'm determined to get through the pain.

Should I wax (salon...I probably wouldn't do it at home) or go the epilator route? Is the pain different? I'm going to invest in some No Scream Cream as well (lord knows I'll need it! I have three tattoos but the thought of waxing/epilation scares me!) Shock

I feel the epilator would be the cheaper option, but I would ADORE any advice. I'm quite at a loss here.

Much love!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
hi paris

iv never had my legs waxed in a salon, iv gone thru a whole pack of wax strips but was only halfway up my leg Embarassed . im so hairy!

i used to use veet, but hair grows back within a few hours Embarassed

since buying the epilator, i feel so much better at not having to spend another 10 minutes in the bathroom, making it STINK cos veet smells funny!

if i were to choose, of course i would have them professionally waxed at a salon but sa u said "$$$" Shock . so i suggest investing in an epilator, so easy to use. i use it everywhere...well not everywhere Embarassed but arms and legs. at first it does hurt! but i think ul get used to the pain...its pretty much the same pain as waxing IMO. there are those epilators with cooling pads, that should numb the pain. i havent tried it cos i bought my epilator quite some time ago and the cool ones were way more expensive.

there are loads of new ones out now, which makes me want to get them- the ones with a small head so u can do ur face and bikini line aswell!

iv also seen the babyliss one. theyr like a hand held device with pads, cant explain it but heres a pic: http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/details.asp?ID=BaB8790U

HTH Very Happy
Mardy Bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
I had laser treatment, used to wax, pluck, veet you name it, being dark haired am hairy and it drives me nuts, the laser treatment I had 2 sessions but it was so expensive they said I needed 5 to 6 to work properly I just couldn't afford it, anyhow I invested in an epilady and it was the best investment ever, I brought the cordless one and instead of hairs coming back overnight it takes a good 2-3 weeks to come back and when they do they are finer and finer every time. It does initially hurt for the first time but then the more times you use it you can hardly feel it, also great for bikini line but make sure you hold your skin taught I learn't the hard way on this one. Good luck.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I used Philips epilator for quite some time.
It's good!
fanclubs
5% products discount

Mon May 21, 2007 12:57 am      Reply with quote
My all time favourites are

Braun Epilsilk epilator, it actually catches most of the fine and short (1-2mm) hairs and does not hurt as much because it has a massage roller head to dullen the pain sensation.

I also have tried several cold waxes like Nads and these salon sugaring mixtures, they are surprising strong and remove everything at the roots but don't pull any skin off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 1:08 am      Reply with quote
I second the above, the Braun Epilator is the way to go. Get the top of the range model - it has all the extra attachments which are great. In the long run it'll work out much cheaper and the hair growth will become less and less.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I had a braun that has now died a death. it was good, but it did hurt in a different way to waxing though. If I had the dosh I'd go salon wax way. But I don't so I just use a venus and hairgrowth retardent cream from boots

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:34 am      Reply with quote
I invested in laser treatments about 5 years ago for my lower legs, bikini and underarm areas. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself!

Prior to laser, I had to shave everyday, too, and even after shaving I had a 5 o'clock shadow in the underarms.

I had about 6 treatments in each area. The hair that has grown back is very fine and light. I go weeks without shaving now.

I only wish that laser hair removal had been around when I was in my 20's (and that I could have afforded it then!). I felt so self conscious about the hair, and it is very freeing not to have to worry about it now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:39 am      Reply with quote
I've been waxing for years and now only have to do it about once a month...not much there to wax anymore. Never tried the epilator.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I ended up going for the laser option as all other methods resulted in awful ingrowing hairs for me.

If you don't have this problem, then epilators are a great idea. You might find them a wee bit painful at first, but you really do get used to it and the sensation lessens as you use it more and more. Also, I found that epilating once a week kept hairs well in check - and was much less painful. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than constant trips to the salon for waxing.
puregdstuf
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 7:23 am      Reply with quote
i tried the Braun's epilator and it resulted in having ingrown hair. Never again. i think IPL works.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Oh how I wish I could afford laser hair removal. A friend of mine (she's 26 and lives with her very wealthy parents Razz ) does it and loves it. But it also costs her between 1500 and 2000 a year (which I'm also suspect her parents pay for it since you can't afford that off of a grad student salary!).

I hope some day to be able to afford to try it. My hair is very dark and like I said, grows very fast. Sometimes if I go out at night I have to shave once again! I blame my mother. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
I would love to have laser done, but not sure if I can because I have lightish hair. It's not blonde, probably dirty blonde or light brown. would laser work? If not, I think I will invest in an epilator too. Every time I shave, my legs get soooooo itchy, then I scratch and I have a problem with post inflammatory hyperpigementation. I need to avoid the scratching.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad I saw this post! I've been getting bikini waxes since I was a teenager b/c shaving resulted in ingrown hairs. It's a great option since it takes around a month for the hair to grow back. The downside is you have to wait until the hair growing back in is at least 1/4 inch long so the wax has something to grab onto.

I also did the laser hair removal. What a complete and utter waste of $2000 Mad I went 10 times over a two year period (and some of the treatments were even double passes) and do I have any hair down their? YEP (and lots of it)! We're talking Brazilian laser treatments people Shock

It's back to waxing for me. I might try the epilady mentioned above. After 20+ yrs of waxing and 3 kids, my pain tolerance "down there" is pretty darn high Laughing

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using my Epilady for the past 15 years. Without it, I'd be lost. I tried home waxing and it took too long and quite messy. Salon waxing was too expensive. I used the Epilady so much that it now doesn't take long to finish pulling the hair since there's not much left. It also takes a week or longer before I have to do it again. I don't think I'd go with Laser as it is expensive, and seems no guarantee hair won't come back.
Mardy Bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be able to plait mine down there but now I can't Laughing
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Mardy Bum wrote:
I used to be able to plait mine down there but now I can't Laughing

Ok, I'll bite - what the heck is "plait"?!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Mardy Bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I mean as in braiding hair probabely didn't spell it right Rolling Eyes
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like an epilator might be the way to go. Gosh there are so many of 'em.

Hmm...time to start some research! hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have 4 tattoos and 18 piercings, but I still twitch in my chair every time I use an epilator. Laughing I'd rather get a hair wax at a salon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
I have 4 tattoos and 18 piercings, but I still twitch in my chair every time I use an epilator. Laughing I'd rather get a hair wax at a salon.

That's what I'm afraid of. I can sit through 4 hours of a needle scraping my arm...but the thought of pulling out my hair...EEEEPP!!! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
You'll get used to epilating after a few sessions. To me, waxing is tougher. I tried salon waxing once and hated it.
heathercolorado
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
cathy_jean wrote:
I invested in laser treatments about 5 years ago for my lower legs, bikini and underarm areas. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself!

Prior to laser, I had to shave everyday, too, and even after shaving I had a 5 o'clock shadow in the underarms.

I had about 6 treatments in each area. The hair that has grown back is very fine and light. I go weeks without shaving now.

I only wish that laser hair removal had been around when I was in my 20's (and that I could have afforded it then!). I felt so self conscious about the hair, and it is very freeing not to have to worry about it now.

Ditto.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
How about sugaring? It's similar to waxing but it is water soluble.

Parts of my legs don't have hair anymore. If I was consistent enough with it, my legs would be hairless by now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 1:07 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Sounds like an epilator might be the way to go. Gosh there are so many of 'em.

Hmm...time to start some research! hmm

I found the Braun ones to be pretty good. As I said, if you're not prone to ingrowns, then once you get an epilator, you'll wonder how you ever survived without it! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |