Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Computer Users - Learn to take care of your eyes (article)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Got this from Vitacost in my Inbox the other day...it did discuss a little about the UV rays from the monitor that some of you were concerned about.

Quote:

Friday, May 18, 2007
Computer Users: Learn to Baby Your Eyes
Long hours staring at a terminal can lead to vision problems, if you're not careful

(HealthDay News) -- There are few professions left that don't use computers in some way, just as there are few households that don't consider the family computer an essential appliance.

But all those hours online can take a toll on your eyes, experts warn.

"An increasing number of people are on the computer huge numbers of hours during the day," said Dr. Kerry Beebe, an optometrist in Brainerd, Minn., and spokesman for the American Optometric Association (AOA). "It does seem that particular visual demand can be tough to handle if there's anything less than perfect going on with your visual system."

Studies have shown that eyestrain and other vision problems can occur in as many as nine out of 10 people using video display terminals at work, according to the AOA.

The most common symptoms are eyestrain, blurred vision, double vision, excessive tears, dry eyes and excessive blinking or squinting. Visual problems also can result in physical problems such as headaches and neck or shoulder pain.

"Some people will have all of those and some just a few," Beebe said. "But anytime anyone comes in with those symptoms, we automatically ask, 'What are you doing much of the day?' They often spend many hours on a computer."

The radiation put out by a computer screen has nothing to do with these symptoms, although that's a common myth, said Dr. Jeffrey Weaver, director of the AOA's clinical care group.

"People are often asking about ultraviolet radiation, but any UV radiation from a computer screen is minimal," Weaver said. "If no one's getting a tan from using their computer, then it's not a matter for concern."

But if you're having eye trouble during or after computer use, you should have your eyes examined, Beebe said.

"Many times people will have a focusing problem or a refractive error where simply wearing glasses while using the computer will take away those symptoms," he said.

You should also take frequent short breaks, every half hour or so, Beebe and Weaver said. During those breaks, which can last just a minute or two, you should fix your eyes on a distant object to help refresh your vision.

"Just looking across the room or out a window can help a lot in keeping your focus relaxed," Beebe said.

The brightness of the monitor should be adjusted to an intensity comfortable to the eyes, according to the AOA. That means not too bright or too dim.

Next, you should adjust the contrast between the characters on the monitor and the background so the letters are easily read.

Finally, minimize reflected glare on the monitor by using window shades or curtains and dimmer switches on lights. Bright light sources also should be removed from the peripheral vision.

"Most offices tend to be way too bright for computer use," Weaver said.

To further reduce glare, position the monitor perpendicular to windows or other bright sources of light. You can also buy an anti-glare screen for the monitor, or wear tinted glasses, according to the AOA.

Dry eyes are another common complaint, for two reasons. Offices tend to be dry environments, and when people are reading a computer screen they tend to blink less. To combat dry eyes, take frequent breaks and keep artificial tears -- lubricant eye drops -- handy at your desk, Weaver said.

You can also prevent eyestrain by positioning the monitor in an ergonomically correct position, according to the AOA. The monitor should be located 16 inches to 30 inches from your eyes, depending on how large the screen is and how good your vision is. Most people find it most comfortable to watch a screen 20 inches to 26 inches away.

The top of the monitor should be slightly below your eye level, the AOA said. The center of the monitor should be 10 degrees to 20 degrees below your eyes, or about 4 inches to 9 inches below your eyes at a distance of 24 inches.

And don't forget to rearrange things when it's your child's turn to use the computer. In many situations, the computer monitor will be too high, the chair too low and the desk too high. Your office should have an adjustable chair that can be raised for the child's comfort.

Weaver said technology is evolving to help prevent eyestrain and vision problems.

Monitors have improved their contrast and resolution, and LCD screens, in particular, are proving easier on the eyes. Monitors also are including glare-reduction filters to keep reflections from causing eyestrain, he said.

"They seem to be easier on the eyes, although there's not a lot of objective evidence to say that they are," Weaver said.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting and helpful, thanks bkkgirl!
meggiequn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Nice article, thanks for sharing!
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 8:58 am      Reply with quote
thx for sharing!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome, all. Glad you found the info helpful.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, bkkgirl!

It should be noted that ever since I discovered EDS, I have been suffering from dry, bloodshot eyes. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 10:14 am      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Thank you, bkkgirl!

It should be noted that ever since I discovered EDS, I have been suffering from dry, bloodshot eyes. Rolling Eyes

LOL...same here! I never put two and two together. My eye doctor explained that when you're looking at the PC monitor, your eyes are constantly shifting to adjust to the picture on the screen. It is very straining on the eyes. Also he said when we stare at the monitor, our blinking rate decreases. The blinking motion helps keep the eyes lubricated naturally. So maybe we just have to remind ourselves to blink and even close our eyes every so often. Maybe even step away from the PC every hour or so??
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
thanks very much for sharing hte article with us all! Very Happy

iv got to say that i stare at a computer everyday! sometimes in bad daylight or with the lights off cos i sometimes find that with the lights on, i cant really seem to see the screen.
iv got to cut out that bad habit and to remember to rest my eyes every so often.

every year, i get my eyes checked and every year my eyes seem to get worse and i need to change my glasses!

[quote/nadjazz] It should be noted that ever since I discovered EDS, I have been suffering from dry, bloodshot eyes. [qoute/]

lol, yep ever since discovering EDS, i spend another extra hour or so on the comp!
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the article. My eyes are constantly dry from the computer. I have taken to having the eye drops close to my computer and try to remember to take them when my eyes start to bother me. I also TRY to remember the thing about gazing at something at a distance to give your eyes a break. Usually I'll forget ... must get better with that! I totally believe the reason I need contacts/glasses are becaues of all the computer work. My sister who was a teacher is the only one out of my sisters who has never needed glasses and she's the only one who hasn't spent her working life sitting in front of a monitor.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
u know, iv read that watching tv isnt bad for ur eyes...how can that be?

the article said something about the acti-glare screen, has any one got one of these? are they the same as the screens whereby it can wont decrease ur eyesight?
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing Smile
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks bkkgirl! You are always so informative! Keep 'em coming Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
it is helpful for me!
thanks!
yunshangdirizi
5% products discount

Fri May 25, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for sharing
Snake
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
i have to work long hours so thank you my dear bkkgirl! Very Happy
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2007 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks much, this is a helpful article! Computers are definitely the reason I started needing glasses, but unlike most I was thrilled since I've always loved the way they look. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |