Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
The Mac Kitty
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Meet the Mac Kitty!

He's a persian mix I recently adopted from a shelter and am head over heels in love with him. I like to think he is the same with me-- he'll follow me around the house and flop down on top of my feet. He even waits in my room for me to go to bed. Apparently, kitties have strict bedtimes.

Mac was dumped, with his mom and his brothers and sisters, in an apple orchard. Sometime before this, however, he was abused as his fur was missing on both his sides, the skin rubbed raw. The people from the shelter were able to catch all but him, so he lived all last winter in a barn-- luckily, the people at the apple orchard were kind enough to give the shelter plenty of time to catch him (and leave food out for him).

He's still a little skinny, and his fur is still growing in, but he's doing great. He's not exactly getting along with my older cats-- he wants to play, but they don't. I'm not really sure what to do to facilitate kitty peace-- if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. My main concern is my other male, Cosmo. Cosmo hates Mac; hisses and spits at him, which is not like him. It's starting to make me feel bad, because I don't want Cosmo to be unhappy. I thought they'd get along because we had an old persian that passed away that Cosmo would play with. I was wrong!

Also, if anyone else has rescue cats, I'd love to hear their stories and see their pictures! I'd also like to urge anyone who is thinking of getting a cat to visit their local shelter and give one those kitties a home-- I can assure you there are quite a few who love to come home with you!
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
He is SO beautiful!!!! I've had a lot of rescue cats over the years, sometimes it takes them quite a while to make friends. Stick with it. How wonderful that he found a home!
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations on your adoption of Mac Kitty! He looks so sweet! It's a good feeling to give a rescue kitty a home. I have three cats and two were rescue kitties from the SPCA. Adding my second wasn't too much of a problem because he was just a kitten at the time; there was a little bit of hissing, but over a short time they became friends. The third came in with the attitude that this was HIS house and to this day, he rules the roost. I think with your kitties that it may just take a bit more time. A girl I work with just got a new kitten about 5 months ago and at first she wasn't sure her current cat was going to be able to handle it, but now she had begrudgenly become friends with the little guy (who is now as big as she is) ... so I think harmony is possible in time! Good luck!!

PS ... that sickens me to think anyone could hurt an animal. I know you'll give Mac Kitty all the love and attention he needs to try to forget about any past harm that came his way. Poor kitty! Sad
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
He is incredibly gorgeous, and I'm so glad that you've given him a wonderful new start in life.

A few weeks ago, I adopted a huge, huge boy cat. Couldn't take any photos of him as I was ensonced in Dell Hell, but shall do so shortly and post them for you to see. He has the cheekiest face you ever did see, and I adore him.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to you both for the encouraging words concerning kitty friendship. It's only been two weeks since I brought him home. Cosmo is just usually so congenial his hissing and acting out worried me. I'll give it some more time and hope for the best.

I think part of it is Mac is still very much a kitten. Just barely a year. (Look at those big paws-- he's gotta grow into those!) So he's a lot more energetic than Cosmo, who is 8. He's giving him a run for hie money.

We also have a 12 year old female, Luna. She's already made it clear to Mac that she is QUEEN, and he pretty much stays clear of her! Laughing
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
He is incredibly gorgeous, and I'm so glad that you've given him a wonderful new start in life.

A few weeks ago, I adopted a huge, huge boy cat. Couldn't take any photos of him as I was ensonced in Dell Hell, but shall do so shortly and post them for you to see. He has the cheekiest face you ever did see, and I adore him.

I look forward to seeing him! Congrats on your adoption!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
June is national adopt a shelter cat month. I saw an ad Randy Jackson was promoting for it. He named his rescue cat "Mr. Dawg" Laughing

I got a new cat two weeks ago from the animal welfare. He was a shelter transfer who didn't even have a name. Sad I don't know his story but he's a GREAT cat. He gets along okay with the rest of mine (I have five now) but Tigger (a male) seems to hate him. Hissing and spitting as well. It'll pass eventually and Tigger just has to get over it. I don't have any decent pictures of Bingo (the new cat yet) because he had pink eye and only recently got rid of it (I've been giving him medication for two weeks now and no none of the other cats caught it)..
Mac is SO handsome!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
What a touching story, violetanne! cyberhugs to you for having a big heart...your little kittie is gorgeous.....I love that he flops on your feet...isn't kittylove grand? I think it is adorable that Queen Luna has made her regal position loud and clear...Cosmo will come around...
pudoodles
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
A big Thank You to all of you adopting kitties.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
June is national adopt a shelter cat month. I saw an ad Randy Jackson was promoting for it. He named his rescue cat "Mr. Dawg" Laughing

I got a new cat two weeks ago from the animal welfare. He was a shelter transfer who didn't even have a name. Sad I don't know his story but he's a GREAT cat. He gets along okay with the rest of mine (I have five now) but Tigger (a male) seems to hate him. Hissing and spitting as well. It'll pass eventually and Tigger just has to get over it. I don't have any decent pictures of Bingo (the new cat yet) because he had pink eye and only recently got rid of it (I've been giving him medication for two weeks now and no none of the other cats caught it)..
Mac is SO handsome!

I had no idea Randy Jackson was a cat guy! That's too funny.

Congrats on your new kitty!

There was a bit of fight between Cosmo and Mac this morning. There was flurry of white Cosmo fur. Mac goes after Cosmo wanting to play, so when I see him do it I'll 'psst' at him or snap my fingers to catch his attention. It works, but he still does it when I'm not looking...
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Awwww...this is soo sweet. I am also so angry that people hurt animals. I also have a rescue cat who was badly abused by her first owner (She had a broken leg) and then by the cat of her second owner - third time lucky though and now she;s my owner! I wish you all the best getting the kitties to get along. Time is important. I have also given our used t-shirts to one of the cats to sleep on and then given it to the other one.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Time is important. I have also given our used t-shirts to one of the cats to sleep on and then given it to the other one.

That is a great idea, Agent OO-CAT! My veterinarian told us to rub the cats with the same towel in order to help them to get used to each other. The idea of using a used t-shirt I think is a much better idea since it brings your scent in the mix as well!
pudoodles
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Awwww...this is soo sweet. I am also so angry that people hurt animals. I also have a rescue cat who was badly abused by her first owner (She had a broken leg) and then by the cat of her second owner - third time lucky though and now she;s my owner! I wish you all the best getting the kitties to get along. Time is important. I have also given our used t-shirts to one of the cats to sleep on and then given it to the other one.

This is a good idea. I'm going to try it!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Ohmygosh I just found out by watching the little video about Morris the cat that he was adopted from the exact same shelter my Miles came from (only Morris was adopted in 1968) at the Hinsdale Humane Society!

I like Randy Jackson alot after reading this...

Randy Jackson of FOX's "American Idol" and Morris® the Cat, famed 9Lives® cat food icon, announced today a campaign to rescue one million homeless cats. Morris and Randy are leveraging their celebrity status, and Morris'(TM) own humble beginnings as a shelter cat, in an effort to rescue one million of his fellow felines. Morris has adopted the very first cat in a million -- Li'l Mo(TM), who resembles a younger version of himself. Morris and his new sidekick Li'l Mo will appear together for special events and media interviews, in 9Lives advertisements and online at http://www.9Lives.com.

Morris and Li'l Mo will also travel the country by bus to find homes for homeless cats in 34 cities nationwide, including New York, Chicago, Charlotte, New Orleans, Minneapolis, Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Houston, Cincinnati, Tampa and Pittsburgh. Check http://www.9Lives.com for a complete listing.

I love cats, and I've always admired Morris the Cat, who himself was a shelter cat," said Randy Jackson. "Morris asked me to help him spread the word about his Million Cat Rescue campaign and the importance of cat adoption, and I was happy to lend my support. Each year, millions of cats are never given the chance to find loving homes, and I wanted to encourage people to adopt a cat -- they make such great pets! Morris and I have both adopted cats to kick off this incredible rescue effort. Morris, of course, selected the mirror image of his younger self and named him Li'l Mo. I named my little one "Dawg"!"

9Lives® brand is also partnering with 3,600 shelters across the country to distribute Morris' Million Cat Rescue(TM) Welcome Home Kits that will educate consumers on proper care for their cats at home. As a commitment to Morris'(TM) efforts, 9Lives brand will donate a percentage of all sales, including the newly formulated 9Lives Daily Essentials(TM) and 9Lives® Tender Cuts cat food, to animal rescue shelters nationwide.

"With the launch of the new 9Lives Daily Essentials cat food, a product that will help to keep millions of cats happy and healthy, we wanted to work with Morris to support a cause that is near and dear to our spokescat's heart- cat adoption," said Ryan Thomas, 9Lives Brand Manager. "Through Morris' Million Cat Rescue campaign, Morris, Li'l Mo and 9Lives are going to educate people about the importance of adoption, and give people the resources and opportunity to adopt a cat of their own."

A shocking 3 out of every 4 cats that enter shelters do not leave alive. The reality is that 5.5 million cats are euthanized each year, representing 71% of all cats that enter animal shelters. On the flip side, there are tremendous advantages for the entire family in owning a pet -- for adults, pet ownership can decrease the risk of having a heart attack by up to 6%. Pet ownership can teach children about responsibility, compassion and loyalty -- in addition, positive self-esteem is enhanced in children with pets. And pet ownership has been shown anecdotally to help children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) to focus and concentrate.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats on the new addition to your family. I have had many kitties over the years and have even fostered some. I have always been succssful at introducing new pets to the household--of all ages. Sometimes it just takes time and patience. As a general rule, you should not directly introduce the cats when the new cat arrives--lock the new cat up in a room upon arrival. Let the cats get used to each other's scent under the door. Keep the cats separated until the hissing and spitting stops--the will usually bat each other's paws under the door if there is enough space. This can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks depending on the age and the attitude of the cats. Then, slowly introduce the cats with plenty of supervision. May sure you give your old cat lots of love and attention during this time. Don't give it any extra reason to be jealous. The tendency is to try to make the new kitty feel welcome and loved at the expense of making the old one feel like it is being replaced. When you are out of the house, lock the new kitty up again. Only give the cats free reign together after you are sure there is no aggression. Eventually, they will find their own turf in the house---even if they are never best friends. This method has always been successful for me--I have never had aggression or toileting issues due to a mad kitty. Even though your cats have already been introduced, I would suggest separating them and starting from square one. I have had friends try this with success. Remember, make sure that you give you old kitty lots of love. If there is more than one person in the house, have the one the old kitty is fondest of give it attention and any other members of the family care for the new cat. Lots of luck. I commend you for taking this little stray into your home.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Oh what a handsome boy! And in that first pic he looks almost exotic. I love kitties! Very Happy
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
What a cutie he is!!! And a sweet boy too! Amazing that he found such a loving mommy in you! I have rescued several cats in my life and they always bring me such joy! I currently have 2 of them...but will definitely get my next cats from a shelter. I can't bear to think of a kitty that needs a home... I pray for all those kitties every night!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 1:51 am      Reply with quote
I think he must have lots of Maine Coon in him - one of my most favourite breeds. He looks so much like one. An absolutely gorgeous boy.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 10:46 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
I think he must have lots of Maine Coon in him - one of my most favourite breeds. He looks so much like one. An absolutely gorgeous boy.

majorb, are there Maine coons in the UK? Sounds silly but I had never heard of them until moving to the US. I was trying to describe them to a UK friend and she had no idea what I meant.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
majorb wrote:

majorb, are there Maine coons in the UK? Sounds silly but I had never heard of them until moving to the US. I was trying to describe them to a UK friend and she had no idea what I meant.

Yes, but they're very expensive - otherwise I'd have a huge herd of them by now! Laughing
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
What a gorgeous boy. He is so lucky to have found you to love him. It seems we have many animal lovers on EDS Very Happy . Congratulations!!!!!
havana8

Wed May 23, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
What a beautiful boy, violetanne. He has such expressive eyes! Coincidentally, we were reading about this on the weekend as we are seriously considering getting another cat. Cuddles great suggestions follow along with the advice i have been findin. I thought this bit from the Humane Society was pretty useful....

Confinement: Confine your new cat to one medium-sized room with her litter box, food, water, and a bed. Feed your resident pets and the newcomer on each side of the door to this room, so that they associate something enjoyable (eating!) with each other's smells. Don't put the food so close to the door that the animals are too upset by each other's presence to eat. Gradually move the dishes closer to the door until your pets can eat calmly while standing directly on either side of the door.

The Old Switcheroo:
Swap the sleeping blankets or beds used by the cats so they each have a chance to become accustomed to the other's scent. You can even rub a towel on one animal and put it underneath the food dish of another animal. If there are more than two animals in the house, do the same for each animal.

Once your new cat is using her litter box and eating regularly while confined, let her have free time in the house while confining your other animals to the new cat's room. This switch provides another way for the animals to experience each other's scents without a face-to-face meeting. It also allows the newcomer to become familiar with her new surroundings without being frightened by the other animals.

Next, after the animals have been returned to their original designated parts of the house, use two doorstops to prop open the dividing door just enough to allow the animals to see each other, and repeat the whole process over a period of days—supervised, of course.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race: Avoid any interactions between your pets that result in either fearful or aggressive behavior. If these responses are allowed to become a habit, they can be difficult to change. It's better to introduce your pets to each other so gradually that neither animal becomes afraid or aggressive. You can expect a mild protest from either cat from time to time, but don't allow these behaviors to intensify. If either animal becomes fearful or aggressive, separate them, and start the introduction process once again with a series of very small, gradual steps, as outlined above.

Please Note: When you introduce pets to each other, one of them may send "play" signals which can be misinterpreted by the other pet as signs of aggression. If that's the case, always handle the situation as "aggression" and seek professional help from a veterinarian or animal behaviorist right away.

The Humane Society of the United States
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/cat_behavior_tip_sheets/introducing_pets_to_a_new_cat.html
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
yogi wrote:
A big Thank You to all of you adopting kitties.

I second that. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

I love Maine Coons too! I think my oldest looks alot like a Maine Coon or atleast most of him is. He was one of the rescue kitties I got, so I'm not sure what he all has inside of him. Smile
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

I actually tried the confinement thing for a few days; perhaps I didn't follow through, though. I'd only confine Mac in a room at night. At this point I don't know if confining him would work.

I'm trying the blanket/ scent thing.

Cosmo and Mac will eat next to each other, and if I hold Mac up to Cosmo, Cosmo wil just sniff him calmly. I think what's happening is that Mac is trying to play with Cosmo and Cosmo is interpreting it as aggression. I think mac is intimidated by Cosmo, though sometimes it seems like it's the other way around.

WEll, I'll keep trying some of these suggestions and perhaps, eventually, peace will ensue!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |